2019 Recruiting Thread

Zeek

6 hours ago, ellitor said:

Bama yes. UGA not yet, & LSU no.

I’m basing my point off of NFL talent and head to head games. LSU has almost as many players in the NFL as Bama, and significantly more than us. UGA has more NFL players than us as well  That and our head to head record with those teams over the last few years indicates to me that their is a big talent gap between us and them. It cant all be coaching. 

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

I watched the 2013 Iron Bowl last week. Lost in the excitement of the Kick Six is the fact that our offense scored 28 other points and basically owned UAT the entire second half. It could be that others meddling in Gus's offense is the problem, not vice-versa.

I see your point, but think anything 2013 is a bad example to compare this current team as far as play calling goes.  We are just not built that way at the OL and QB positions to run that 2013 offense. I think we have some backs that could fit that scheme.  I do think we should consider the OC Gus offense in 2009, with Todd at QB and Eric Smith at fullback. That offense was balanced.  Using that offense with the better talent of today would be great.  Although Todd did well with progressions if I recall,  better than I have seen with JS. 

Edited by AUBwins
Realized it was Eric, not Michael.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I’m basing my point off of NFL talent and head to head games. LSU has almost as many players in the NFL as Bama, and significantly more than us. UGA has more NFL players than us as well  That and our head to head record with those teams over the last few years indicates to me that their is a big talent gap between us and them. It cant all be coaching. 

Nope.  That's the lack of player development I & a number of others have harped on. As one poster put it recruits come into AU near the same talent level, specifically to UGA & LSU, but they don't come out  near the same level. That's poor development.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AUBwins said:

I see your point, but think anything 2013 is a bad example to compare this current team as far as play calling goes.  We are just not built that way at the OL and QB positions to run that 2013 offense.

Also the rules have changed since then to give a D time to sub when an O makes a sub. That has hampered Gus.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Nope.  That's the lack of player development I & a number of others have harped on. As one poster put it recruits come into AU near the same talent level, specifically to UGA & LSU, but they don't come out  near the same level. That's poor development.

I think it’s both. But I respect your opinion since you follow it more closely than I do. I would encourage you to read Rob Pate’s article on 247. He touches in depth on both parts of the equation. He makes some great points. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I think it’s both.

I agree. I would say the talent gap exists at certain positions, but overall our staff has failed to turn Friday night guys into Sunday guys at the rate they should have. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

I want him to run it whole-heartedly because if it goes back to what it used to be we're fine and if it doesn't get better he'll be gone with no excuses

If he's back, I agree 100%.  Sink or swim with no scapegoats or excuses.  All the credit or All the blame.

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

I think it’s both.

The only positions is both is on the OL & RB. Everywhere else we have recruited talent at or near the same level as UGA & LSU.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Also the rules have changed since then to give a D time to sub when an O makes a sub. That has hampered Gus.

Very much so.  I have gotten use to that rule change, but I don't like how it seems the defense can take their sweet time to get set while the play clock continues to run down.  Noticed it a little more this week than others which was probably by design by Kirby.  Maybe the rule is 10 seconds or something like that, but give them a chance to sub and get it going. It benefits the defense when clock is close to zero, allowing them to jump the count better IMO.

• Like 1

Looking at the Rivals top 50 in state of Georgia and a surprising number (IMO) are leaving the region...Michigan, Texas, ND, Ohio State and such..  Georgia made a pretty good haul, about the same number as Auburn perhaps.

It appears the Big 10 is having more success recently in our region?  or not?   

39 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Looking at the Rivals top 50 in state of Georgia and a surprising number (IMO) are leaving the region...Michigan, Texas, ND, Ohio State and such..  Georgia made a pretty good haul, about the same number as Auburn perhaps.

It appears the Big 10 is having more success recently in our region?  or not?   

Not surprising. Like everyone else UGA can only take 25 in a class. Also Michigan & tOSU have been getting some players from Georgia since they hired Harbaugh & Meyer. It will be interesting to see what tOSU does after Urbs retires.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Not surprising. Like everyone else UGA can only take 25 in a class. Also Michigan & tOSU have been getting some players from Georgia since they hired Harbaugh & Meyer. It will be interesting to see what tOSU does after Urbs retires.

May happen this year

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

We offered a 3* LB today. Will wait to see if we need to make a thread on him.

Bad sign for Pappoe?

With all this lack of player development, do you know how bad we would have to be next year for a change?

Edited by AUwent

6 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Bad sign for Pappoe?

Not necessarily. The staff is adamant on signing 2 LBs in the class/

7 minutes ago, AUwent said:

do you know how bad we would have to be next year for a change?

I don'r have the weight or position to have that answer. My guess is another 4 or 5 loss season would seal it.

• Love 1

3 hours ago, WarEagle2423 said:

Saw an OT decommit from FSU. Any interest from us? 

Yes. That's why AU reporters tweeted out the decommitment. Per this from Keith Miss St team to beat & AU trying to get an OV.

• Like 1

after Urbs retires.

May happen this year

Poor Urb. About to have another health crisis and urge to spend time with his family

• 2 weeks later...

Since Malzahn has 1 more year to get this team up off the ground and playing like champions again, has there been any thoughts of Gus and his staff signing a few junior college players in Feb and Dec? I think he needs some JUCO players that can step up and see a good bit of playing time right off the bat.

Edited by auburn4ever

26 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Since Malzahn has 1 more year to get this team up off the ground and playing like champions again, has there been any thoughts of Gus and his staff signing a few junior college players in Feb and Dec? I think he needs some JUCO players that can step up and see a good bit of playing time right off the bat.

I'm sure he will Target the juco ranks... That's the only way he has fields a team the last few years.... Think how bad our ol would be without transfers.... He needs plug and play at ol and qb

4 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Probably more ponderings than thoughts.

Edited by IronMan70