2019 Recruiting Thread

Zeek

I have a grad transfer question. How much ability do coaches have to seek interest in students that are eligible to transfer from another college. Do the players have to contact AU first or can they contact players to see if they may be an interest. I would think some smaller D1 linemen might be intested in a chance to compete in the SEC.

8 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Since Malzahn has 1 more year to get this team up off the ground and playing like champions again, has there been any thoughts of Gus and his staff signing a few junior college players in Feb and Dec? I think he needs some JUCO players that can step up and see a good bit of playing time right off the bat.

The answer is the same as when you brought this up a month or so ago. Jucos have a pretty high miss rate. It's better to go after grad transfers. They have a higher hit rate. We won't know most of the GTs available til after the Bowl season & in some cases after Spring practice.

With that said there are only 2 jucos AU is interested in. LB Lakai Henry committed to the Vols & uncommitted OL Bamidele Olaseni.

7 hours ago, wildlife alumni said:

I have a grad transfer question. How much ability do coaches have to seek interest in students that are eligible to transfer from another college. Do the players have to contact AU first or can they contact players to see if they may be an interest. I would think some smaller D1 linemen might be intested in a chance to compete in the SEC.

With the new rules there is a national database of GTs available for every team to see. When a player decides to transfer his current coach must put him on the database within 2 days. A school interested in getting a transfer can then contact the player after his name is on the database.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Auburn Kev said:

Kinda late in the recruiting season to be going after Juco players. Almost all the good ones are already committed to other schools. 

There's not many to begin with.

Since we only have one OT listed, is there no one else on our board now? I mean, we don't necessarily need them TODAY (arguably), but it's mighty strange to only see a single name at a position we sorely need. :/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Linayus said:

Since we only have one OT listed, is there no one else on our board now? I mean, we don't necessarily need them TODAY (arguably), but it's mighty strange to only see a single name at a position we sorely need. 😕

As posted in another thread the staff is monitoring the GT database. We don't have access to the database so we don't know who all is available. And guys the staff may be interested in have not made their way yet to the ears of AU recruiting reporters. Also a good number of potential GTs don't decide to do so til between the months of January & May.

• Like 1

Grimes question.  I don’t follow recruiting that close but I always hear that Grimes isn’t a good recruiter.  What makes him not a great recruiter?  Is he not a good salesman? Not very likeable?  Is he the primary Oline recruiter or does he get any help?  I feel like he’s got a good track record of putting players in the NFL at Auburn so I’m not sure where he’s lacking?

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

Grimes question.  I don’t follow recruiting that close but I always hear that Grimes isn’t a good recruiter.  What makes him not a great recruiter?  Is he not a good salesman? Not very likeable?  Is he the primary Oline recruiter or does he get any help?  I feel like he’s got a good track record of putting players in the NFL at Auburn so I’m not sure where he’s lacking?

Care to take this one @WarDamnEagleWDE?

Beating a dead horse here...again... We start 5 seniors next year on the OL. After that - we are serious trouble. If Trox and Cal Ashley do not work out we are down to the bare minimum. The roster has guys I have never heard of before (I guess they are walkons). This is our biggest weakness by far and everyone has seen it coming. I do not expect anyone to have any answers and I know I am pointing out the obvious, but this one area will lead to our downfall. You must win in the trenches. 

• Thanks 2

On 12/1/2018 at 3:33 PM, auburn4ever said:

Since Malzahn has 1 more year to get this team up off the ground and playing like champions again, has there been any thoughts of Gus and his staff signing a few junior college players in Feb and Dec? I think he needs some JUCO players that can step up and see a good bit of playing time right off the bat.

On 12/2/2018 at 12:20 AM, ellitor said:

The answer is the same as when you brought this up a month or so ago. Jucos have a pretty high miss rate. It's better to go after grad transfers. They have a higher hit rate. We won't know most of the GTs available til after the Bowl season & in some cases after Spring practice.

With that said there are only 2 jucos AU is interested in. LB Lakai Henry committed to the Vols & uncommitted OL Bamidele Olaseni.

And the answer will be the same when he brings it up again next month.

• Love 1

9 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Beating a dead horse here...again... We start 5 seniors next year on the OL. After that - we are serious trouble. If Trox and Cal Ashley do not work out we are down to the bare minimum. The roster has guys I have never heard of before (I guess they are walkons). This is our biggest weakness by far and everyone has seen it coming. I do not expect anyone to have any answers and I know I am pointing out the obvious, but this one area will lead to our downfall. You must win in the trenches. 

I don't think there's any guarantee we start 5 seniors next season. Our entire interior could be underclassmen and Trox could possibly win the spot at RT. 

I don't pay to go on Premium sites but I do go to Auburn Undercover for their free content. In one of their premium listing that I can't open but can see the subject line it says we are looking a LB Octavious Brothers who just de-committed from UCF.  Is there real interest and what are our chances. I am assuming since I saw the subject line it is ok to mention it. If not please delete this.

2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I don't pay to go on Premium sites but I do go to Auburn Undercover for their free content. In one of their premium listing that I can't open but can see the subject line it says we are looking a LB Octavious Brothers who just de-committed from UCF.  Is there real interest and what are our chances. I am assuming since I saw the subject line it is ok to mention it. If not please delete this.

You can post anything you see in a title. Sometimes it's spelled out in the link address. You can also post any free blurbs you see. An accompanying like is always preferred if possible.

On Brothers yes there is real interest but don't know what chances are since it has not been reported yet if he is a take or not.

What other transfer dual threat qbs are left at this point? Hell, what other transfer o lineman can we get? Give me something to look forward to. Lol. 

Possibly Jalen Hurts, Khalil Tate, maybe a surprise to be named later.  I have a feeling Auburn is done chasing though.

I thought the OP was saying the Dual-Threats on Auburn's roster finally gave up and left.

On a serious note, it's been said Khalil Tate is looking to leave 'Zona. Upon a little research, he appears to be a better option than Bryant would have been.

With that said, I want Gus to sink or swim with his recruits.  Not prolong the descent with another band-aid.  Time for a true Program Builder.

• Like 2
  • Love 1