2019 Recruiting Thread

Zeek

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Probably could poach the OL Coach from Memphis. I here he's an up & comer. And I just noticed he has an indirect connection to Gus.

It always kills me on here, how we know what is best for Gus in hiring his assistants. So let's just throw out the coach at Memphis and maybe Gus will read our posts, and give him a call. 🙃 (i'm kidding a little here)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

It always kills me on here, how we know what is best for Gus in hiring his assistants. So let's just throw out the coach at Memphis and maybe Gus will read our posts, and give him a call. 🙃 (i'm kidding a little here)

I hope you are fully kidding because that was not my objective at all. I didn't say nor imply I knew what's best for Gus's assistant coaching hires. I just brought up a name that would seem a possibility should Gus want to make a move. Also I don't throw out names that I haven't seen from people connected to the program as someone they think is a good coach. I could be wrong but I believe @bigbird has mentioned Silverfield before as a coach he likes. Lastly I don't post anything in hopes of Gus reading them.

12 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I could be wrong but I believe @bigbird has mentioned Silverfield before as a coach he likes. 

You're not and I do. 

15 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I hope you are fully kidding because that was not my objective at all. I didn't say nor imply I knew what's best for Gus's assistant coaching hires. I just brought up a name that would seem a possibility should Gus want to make a move. Also I don't throw out names that I haven't seen from people connected to the program as someone they think is a good coach. I could be wrong but I believe @bigbird has mentioned Silverfield before as a coach he likes. Lastly I don't post anything in hopes of Gus reading them.

I really wasn't directing this directly at you, so that is why I said i was somewhat kidding. It just triggered this thought, as over time on these forums, I see us (and at times me included), throwing out names, and wonder why our HC doesn't try to bring in those coaches, and when he brings in a coach we don't agree with or never heard of, we're doomed.

It's like some on here (who have no connection to sources of any kind), feel that bringing in an ex AU player as a coach is always the best solution to our problem, bc they will always do the best job for their alma mater. 

p.s. I have no problem with the Memphis AC, as he's got to be an upgrade in recruiting to Grimes...

Edited by steeleagle

2 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

It's like some on here (who have no connection to sources of any kind), feel that bringing in an ex AU player as a coach is always the best solution to our problem, bc they will always do the best job for their alma mater. 

Like Caddy Williams?

52 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Like Caddy Williams?

No. I am hoping he works out and I really don't have a problem with it at this time. I felt that Malzahn needed to change his recruiting of RBs as we have not done as well in the recent past. 

I was thinking more of what happened with Craig and Willis. It just didn't work out for whatever reason. Some on here thought Craig was only good at the recruiting part, and was criticized for his WR development. I can also remember for years when everyone wanted Garner to come back, but others said he was not the cleanest w/ his recruiting techniques, and his DL coaching was not up to the quality we needed. Well, it seems he has worked out very well for us.

All I am saying is that those that clamor for ex AU player/coaches, need to understand they are not always the best fit for what we need as a top level competitive team w/ playing as well as recruiting.

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

Keith is far & away the most credible AU recruiting reporter. Ben "Mr. Man Bun" Wolk is 2nd. The rest don't matter.

Does Tate keep Jeffrey Lee around for comedy relief? Wolk is a superb recruiting guy.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, CR said:

Does Tate keep Jeffrey Lee around for comedy relief? Wolk is a superb recruiting guy.

He brought him back & has kept him because they are good friends. JLee had to sell the site to JGT some years ago because of some inappropriate comments JLee on the site.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, ellitor said:

He brought him back & has kept him because they are good friends. JLee had to sell the site to JGT some years ago because of some inappropriate comments JLee on the site.

I remember that. HAHAHAHA that was hysterical. He ended some poster who came for his throat.

Hopefully next cycle we will be able to hit on at least one of our top targets on both the OL and RB... Seems like we have said that for what going on like 5 years now? Sure we have gotten bodies but we have absolutely missed 90% of our top targets in OL and RB for the last half decade at least...

20 hours ago, steeleagle said:

It always gets me when people complain about the things people talk about on here. I mean it IS a forum. It's kept alive by the people who comment which brings them back to the site and drives up advertisement money. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Hopefully next cycle we will be able to hit on at least one of our top targets on both the OL and RB... Seems like we have said that for what going on like 5 years now? Sure we have gotten bodies but we have absolutely missed 90% of our top targets in OL and RB for the last half decade at least

We are on the verge of getting both of our top two RB targets for this class for what it’s worth. But I get the overall sentiment.

22 minutes ago, ellitor said:

We are on the verge of getting both of our top two RB targets for this class for what it’s worth. But I get the overall sentiment.

We were Cain or bust for a very large portion of this cycle. Granted after we missed on Ross last cycle and Booth this cycle, both to Clemson, I kinda separated myself from the recruiting side. I figured that it wasn't worth what it was doing to me physically so I just stopped following recruiting for 99% of the time post Booth committing to Clemson. But prior to me stopping following this side, I vividly remember it being Cain or bust. So MAR and who Griffin? They may be top on the board now, but they haven't been top of the board this entire cycle. MAR was being talked about at the time as a backup or 1A to Cain but Griffin hadn't been that high on the board. 

Sorry not trying to argue E, but saying we are on the verge of getting the top 2 backs on our board is pretty misleading. They are the top 2 of what remains of the board. I remember Gus putting all his eggs in the Cain basket for a good portion of this cycle. And if we didn't even have the likes of Trey Sanders, John Emry, or Kenny McIntosh on our board, whoever made the board needs their head examined. But I do remember us going after McIntosh. So I'm not sure how the guys we are on the verge of getting are the top of our board, unless of course you meant the top of the remaining board. 

That's not taking away anything from MAR or the other one. I'm not even sure if the other one you are talking about is Griffin. But if it is, he has over a 90% prediction on 247 to Georgia Tech. I know that doesn't mean a lot, but it doesn't exactly look promising...

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

m not even sure if the other one you are talking about is Griffin

Pretty sure the other one he's talking about is D.J. Williams, early signee that's already on campus as an early enrolee. Also, Calvin Ashley was everybody's top target at OL. He hasn't worked out so far, but he was on everybody's want list.

Edited by Mikey

The Cain focus seemed negligent at best. Sure, I think he signs with us if Gus had produced this year and stayed off the hot seat, but Gus knew the challenge.  Ga & Bama sign 5* RBs every year and we have not signed one under Gus. Hope Caddy can change that for us. All that said, if Gus does not address Grimes & OL recruiting no RB has a shot at consistently tearing it up. 

War Eagle ! 

• Like 1

We were Cain or bust for a very large portion of this cycle.

@Auburn2Eugene I know but DJ Williams passed him on the board as soon as we found DJ. And a good ways before Cain signed he had dropped to at best 4th on our board because his film wasn't that great to be honest.

But prior to me stopping following this side, I vividly remember it being Cain or bust. So MAR and who Griffin? They may be top on the board now, but they haven't been top of the board this entire cycle. MAR was being talked about at the time as a backup or 1A to Cain but Griffin hadn't been that high on the board. 

I nor you didn't say anything about the entire cycle in our earlier posts. & the staff's order is 1a. MAR 1b. DJ (which we have) 3. Griffin 4. Cain.

Sorry not trying to argue E, but saying we are on the verge of getting the top 2 backs on our board is pretty misleading.

No it's not as outlined above.

I remember Gus putting all his eggs in the Cain basket for a good portion of this cycle.

Again that was earlier in the cycle before we found DJ & Cain's SR film wasn't great.

And if we didn't even have the likes of Trey Sanders, John Emry, or Kenny McIntosh on our board, whoever made the board needs their head examined

Never was in the game with Trey & Emery but Kenny Mc dropped below DJ our board the minute we found DJ. You must have really checked out since the morning of ENSD. Even though it didn't get reflected in the final rankings due to him not getting tested by the sites or not going to camps, a number of analysts have said DJ has one of the 3 or 4 best game films of any RB in the class. As in like up there with Trey Sanders. Just to show you how much Nick & Bama is impressed with DJ, if they had missed on Trey Sanders they were going to full court press DJ.

So I'm not sure how the guys we are on the verge of getting are the top of our board, unless of course you meant the top of the remaining board. 

As outlined above nope.

Lastly here is your introduction to DJ Williams. Enjoy!!!

Edited by ellitor

30 minutes ago, NCTiger1982 said:

The Cain focus seemed negligent at best. Sure, I think he signs with us if Gus had produced this year and stayed off the hot seat,

Not sure Cain had a committable offer by the time ENSD rolled around.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

@Auburn2Eugene I know but DJ Williams passed him on the board as soon as we found DJ. And a good ways before Cain signed he had dropped to at best 4th on our board because his film wasn't that great to be honest.

I nor you didn't say anything about the entire cycle in our earlier posts. & the staff's order is 1a. MAR 1b. DJ (which we have) 3. Griffin 4. Cain.

No it's not as outlined above.

Again that was earlier in the cycle before we found DJ & Cain's SR film wasn't great.

Never was in the game with Trey & Emery but Kenny Mc dropped below DJ our board the minute we found DJ. You must have really checked out since the morning of ENSD. Even though it didn't get reflected in the final rankings due to him not getting tested by the sites or not going to camps, a number of analysts have said DJ has one of the 3 or 4 best game films of any RB in the class. As in like up there with Trey Sanders. Just to show you how much Nick & Bama is impressed with DJ, if they had missed on Trey Sanders they were going to full court press DJ.

As outlined above nope.

Lastly here is your introduction to DJ Williams. Enjoy!!!

OMG....again,,,,,getting goose pimples...i hadnt seen the SR highlights....kid is a beast....I watched hiis, Cain, Sanders, Mcintosh, Emory and I thank he is right there with WEmory and Sanders and better than Cain. He really reminds me of a Damien Harris' running style....he has it all...my goodness im excited we got this guy

• Like 1

Excuse my ignorance. I haven't been following recruiting for a while. Is this guy DJ Williams just another Boobee..Qb turned RB?

17 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Excuse my ignorance. I haven't been following recruiting for a while. Is this guy DJ Williams just another Boobee..Qb turned RB?

Watch his video. It conveniently posted just above, for your viewing pleasure. :)

5 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Watch his video. It conveniently posted just above, for your viewing pleasure. :)

I did before I made that comment and it looks like it to me, but I want another opinion. And not just going from qb to rb but his running style also.

Edited by WFE12
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

I did before I made that comment and it looks like it to me, but I want another opinion. And not just going from qb to rb but his running style also.

D.J. is reputed to be a tough-guy runner. That's all I can go by, reports from others. Maybe he'll be similar to another 3* tough guy runner, Ronnie Brown.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WFE12 said:

No...this guy isnt another Boobie....Boobie was a late addition to our class and best i remember wasnt sure what position he was going to play....he turned RB his Redshirt year i believe....thsi kid was recruited primarily for a RB by the blue bloods....he was Lil Nickys Plan B if Sanders didnt commit....and to be honest.....I think he may be one of top 3 backs in the country in this class....i think Sanders/ Emory/ Williams are 1a/1b/1c IMPO and I was skeptical at first as you seem to be....but after watching his film and especially after his SR year film....klid is a stud....and a legit composite 4 star...he went from off the radar to a composite 4 str

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

D.J. is reputed to be a tough-guy runner. That's all I can go by, reports from others. Maybe he'll be similar to another 3* tough guy runner, Ronnie Brown.

Ronnie = 4 star highly heralded back.  Jeez!

Edited by AUDevil
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1