2019 Recruiting Thread

Zeek

7 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Excuse my ignorance. I haven't been following recruiting for a while. Is this guy DJ Williams just another Boobee..Qb turned RB?

You say it like it’s a bad thing.

6 hours ago, WFE12 said:

I did before I made that comment and it looks like it to me, but I want another opinion. And not just going from qb to rb but his running style also.

What about his running style? Again Bama wanted him strong if they didn’t get Trey Sanders so that’s all we need to know about his potential as a running back.

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

You say it like it’s a bad thing.

Not a bad thing, but not the back I'd build around. FTR, I like him. However, I think he is a "serviceable" back, just not a dynamic game changer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cam Akers played qb primarily so I don’t think that means we shouldn’t be excited about a guy making the qb-to-rb transition. Not saying DJ is Akers level talent but I think Boobie has looked good for the most part (at least carrying, blocking not so much) and DJ seems more natural as an rb than Whitlow 

Edited by fredst
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AUDevil said:

Ronnie = 4 star highly heralded back.  Jeez!

That's been a long time ago. I don't recall any big excitement when we signed Ronnie Brown. He was redshirted his freshman year. If you say he was rated a 4* ok. I remember a big hoop-la when we signed Caddy a year later. In those days we didn't get many 4* players at any position and it seems that Brown, at 4* status, would have been a bigger deal than I recall.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mikey said:

That's been a long time ago. I don't recall any big excitement when we signed Ronnie Brown. He was redshirted his freshman year. If you say he was rated a 4* ok. I remember a big hoop-la when we signed Caddy a year later. In those days we didn't get many 4* players at any position and it seems that Brown, at 4* status, would have been a bigger deal than I recall.

Best thing ever to happen to Ronnie was signing Caddy. Caddy pushed him to be the player he ended up being. Man I loved watching Ronnie run the ball. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Ronnie didn't get the hype he deserved for sure but he was a very highly thought of recruit.

13 minutes ago, Mikey said:

It’s a common assumption...he just got lost in the Rudi hoopla and then again when Caddy signed.  His running style became much more aggressive between his RFr year and when he provided a huge spark in a losing effort when Caddy went down against UF.

Man DJ looks legit. And having a RB who knows how to pass the ball will allow Gus a trick play or two most likely. Plus he will be a great wildcat QB, assuming Nix starts over Gatewood. If Gatewood wins the job, he will most likely be the wildcat QB, but if Nix wins the job, DJ could do well as the wildcat back 

1 hour ago, AUDevil said:

It’s a common assumption...he just got lost in the Rudi hoopla and then again when Caddy signed.  His running style became much more aggressive between his RFr year and when he provided a huge spark in a losing effort when Caddy went down against UF.

Yeah, Caddy was one of our biggest signings that I can remember... IF I am remembering correctly. Would make sense that Ronnie would be overshadowed. Happens in every class. Like people sleeping on Keiondre Jones in this class because of the three 5*s (although not as much now as we were for much of the cycle).

• Like 1

They weren't in the same class though. Ronnie signed a year before Cadillac and redshirted while Rudi lit the SEC up. I remember being excited about Ronnie, but Cartersville was playing 2A ball back then. He had to learn how to compete with guys on his level. It took a couple years of growth and getting passed by Cadillac to light the fire under him.

I'm not worried at all about DJ Williams transitioning from QB to RB. He's a natural runner. Landing MAR with him would make this a home run RB group and paper over losing Asa Martin. We have to keep doing this each year, but two high-end RBs in a signing class is exactly what you want.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

No...this guy isnt another Boobie....Boobie was a late addition to our class and best i remember wasnt sure what position he was going to play....he turned RB his Redshirt year i believe....thsi kid was recruited primarily for a RB by the blue bloods....he was Lil Nickys Plan B if Sanders didnt commit....and to be honest.....I think he may be one of top 3 backs in the country in this class....i think Sanders/ Emory/ Williams are 1a/1b/1c IMPO and I was skeptical at first as you seem to be....but after watching his film and especially after his SR year film....klid is a stud....and a legit composite 4 star...he went from off the radar to a composite 4 str

The answer I needed. Thanks good sir.

5 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

rom a Rivals recruiting director

Who has already been covered multiple times today, doesn’t know Jack. For him to post that tweet he must have talked to Ben Wolk.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Who has already been covered multiple times today, doesn’t know Jack. For him to post that tweet he must have talked to Ben Wolk.

• Haha 4

14 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Man I miss Wolks, (not Gwillmac’s) live chats on Auburn recruiting!

@ellitor

fifm -fixed it for myself 😂 

Edited by toddc
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

I wish Wolk would have become a contributor to this sight.  No offense to all those that bring the goods.  

We can't pay him in VooDoo Wings like JGT can.

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, toddc said:

Man I miss your live chats on Auburn recruiting!

gg.gif

g.gif

Edited by GwillMac6

4 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

I wish Wolk would have become a contributor to this sight.  No offense to all those that bring the goods.  

How could anyone say no to this guy when he is recruiting you to his site?! lmao 

e.jpg