Buffalo GT QB Tyree Jackson Enters NFL Draft (Update 1/6/19)

tigermac

I'm good either way about bringing transfers or JUCOs to get instant gratification but if we are gonna do that, please don't be complaining about failure to develop young QBs when we cut them off at the knees by bringing in more mature players to go ahead of them. 

We have MW, JG, CS and BN.....and  , if we want to develop any or all of them, bringing someone to play in front of them next year is not the way to do it. JMO :dunno:

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Explain to me the problem with having too many good prospects?

You can only give so many QB's significant practice snaps. If four on the squad is ideal, then five is too many.

If we want a powerful running QB with passing skills that need to be developed, we already have Gatewood here. Let's work on his development.

At this point, there seems to be no interest in Jackson from the coaching staff. I hope it stays that way.

18 minutes ago, AU64 said:

please don't be complaining about failure to develop young QBs when we cut them off at the knees by bringing in more mature players to go ahead of them.  

giphy.gif

I hate to be blunt but this idea is silly & absurd. If we brought in any one for next year it would be a GT to play for the 2019 season. 1 year while a freshman may be redshirting is not cutting him off in any way.

23 minutes ago, AU64 said:

We have MW, JG, CS and BN.....and  , if we want to develop any or all of them, bringing someone to play in front of them next year is not the way to do it. JMO :dunno:

The problem with this thinking is as a coach you always do your best to get the most success in the current or most immediate season, especially in Gus's case where if you aren't successful you want have a 2020 season to even worry about. Gus has to succeed next season & if he finds a GT quarterback he feels will give him a better season in 2019 than any QB on roster now he has to take him. The other QBs can still be developed if the developing is done well by Gus and/or Dilly.

25 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I'm good either way about bringing transfers or JUCOs to get instant gratification but if we are gonna do that, please don't be complaining about failure to develop young QBs when we cut them off at the knees by bringing in more mature players to go ahead of them. 

You can develop young guys while older guys start. That's exactly what you want, in fact, especially with a true freshman like Nix. Even Lawrence, Fromm and Tua had to wait on something to happen before they took over. 

Gatewood and Sandberg will still be underclassmen, too. 

Willis has been QB2 for 2 years now. That is the definition of development. Right or wrong, Gus's decision about Willis this offseason will be a very well informed one. 

You know how you don't develop a QB? Play him hurt, refuse to let him pass in games as a backup, refuse to provide him with adequate, open targets or let him throw in the red zone as a starter...

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You can develop young guys while older guys start.

This really should not have to be stated when you have adults football fans talking football. It's Football 101 Knowledge.

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You know how you don't develop a QB? Play him hurt, refuse to let him pass in games as a backup, refuse to provide him with adequate, open targets or let him throw in the red zone as a starter...

...and give him a bad OL to work with.

42 minutes ago, ellitor said:

This really should not have to be stated when you have adults football fans talking football. It's Football 101 Knowledge.

You would think... 

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

What tradition are you referring to?

Fan base, gotta have Auburn men, GT's are mercenaries, plus you have a legacy recruit coming in??? If there's a QB playing other than Bo 2020 there's going to be hell to pay and I'm not even going to try to evaluate him before he's a junior....already know what that'll be like

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

I literally can't believe you typed this out....somewhere something should've told you not to hit submit reply

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Fan base, gotta have Auburn men, GT's are mercenaries, plus you have a legacy recruit coming in??? If there's a QB playing other than Bo 2020 there's going to be hell to pay and I'm not even going to try to evaluate him before he's a junior....already know what that'll be like

Interesting.  Why would they be upset if Bo doesn't start? To me, for the most part from what I've seen, the fans don't care who it is as long as they are a winner. However, they are very harsh on ones that struggle and are quick to want to replace.  

Our strength right now is at receiver. Knowing that, If JG can increase his accuracy and anticipation I believe he will start.  If he can't and struggles in the passing game, then I believe Bo most likely will. JG has the potential to be extremely dangerous and an AU great but, IMO, needs to develop better as a passer to achieve that level with the way the team is built right now.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

You can only give so many QB's significant practice snaps. If four on the squad is ideal, then five is too many.

If we want a powerful running QB with passing skills that need to be developed, we already have Gatewood here. Let's work on his development.

At this point, there seems to be no interest in Jackson from the coaching staff. I hope it stays that way.

Where's the literature of this 4 man theory...and is this something that Gus just says? And doesn't every battle just come down to two people. Just being logical if a guy is ready to be a starting QB he'll probably look different early in the process right? If your number 4 is close to your number one even starting out the first week you have a big problem more than likely right? You probably really think 4 is doable but 5 can't make a decision seriously don't you? You believe Gus each time he says a a QB can run the entire offense huh?

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Interesting.  Why would they be upset if Bo doesn't start? To me, for the most part from what I've seen, the fans don't care who it is as long as they are a winner. However, they are very harsh on ones that struggle and are quick to want to replace.  

Our strength right now is at receiver. Knowing that, If JG can increase his accuracy and anticipation I believe he will start.  If he can't and struggles in the passing game, then I believe Bo most likely will. JG has the potential to be extremely dangerous and an AU great but, IMO, needs to develop better as a passer to achieve that level with the way the team is built right now.

He's a legacy, only way he wouldn't play is stidham came back. As you mentioned who's really going to come out not making mistakes Bryant couldn't hold off the pressure at Clemson....and he was accomplished if the worse comes to worse Gus will have to play him to save try to save his job

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

...and give him a bad OL to work with.

This scares me about 2020. I literally feel every QB on the roster needs game experience for what the o line could be 2020. Maybe they turn out good....but if it's patch work....well maybe gt's can save us?

15 minutes ago, cole256 said:

He's a legacy, only way he wouldn't play is stidham came back. As you mentioned who's really going to come out not making mistakes Bryant couldn't hold off the pressure at Clemson....and he was accomplished if the worse comes to worse Gus will have to play him to save try to save his job

Well, there are mistakes and then there is Jeremy Johnson/Clint Mosely type of performances.  

Can't understand why some folks always get back to "Gus trying to save his job"?    How in the world does that figure in?   JMO but it's about coaches wanting to win ball games and playing those who give the team the best chance …and if that's accomplished, then nobody's job is in jeopardy.

And maybe it's been addressed, but would the Buffalo QB be immediately eligible?  though from watching  him in the bowl game, I don't see him as a starter anyway so likely nobody from AU is trying to get him anyway.   JMO But a waste of a scholarship and a diversion from time spent with guys who are our future. 

16 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Can't understand why some folks always get back to "Gus trying to save his job"?    How in the world does that figure in?   JMO but it's about coaches wanting to win ball games and playing those who give the team the best chance …and if that's accomplished, then nobody's job is in jeopardy.

And maybe it's been addressed, but would the Buffalo QB be immediately eligible?  though from watching  him in the bowl game, I don't see him as a starter anyway so likely nobody from AU is trying to get him anyway.   JMO But a waste of a scholarship and a diversion from time spent with guys who are our future. 

First of all you don't even know....nevermind but why do you hate it. Have you literally not heard of a fan base calling for a player putting heat on coaches???? Really? I could just go to us and sw. Or to be dramatic you can go to Tom Brady at Michigan.....even one of the greatest QB's went through it

And of course you don't see it but as a waste of a scholly

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

I don't see him as a starter anyway so likely nobody from AU is trying to get him anyway.   JMO But a waste of a scholarship and a diversion from time spent with guys who are our future. 

What specifically about him makes him not as good as Malik Willis, Joey Gatewood, Cord Sandberg or Bo Nix? Right now, I mean. What specifically about them makes them better?

Seems difficult to make that assessment, given that you've never seen those guys play anywhere close to a full game of college football, nor have you seen what that guy could do on our roster and in our offense. 

28  TDs by this Buffalo cat is enough for me - that is about 28 more than Malik Willis, Joey Gatewood and Cord Sandberg made COMBINED.

Seriously, the guy has real experience and a strong TD/Int ratio.   also, throws a very, very good deep ball compared to any QB we have.

This is a no brainer to bridge the gap for Bo.

14 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

What specifically about him makes him not as good as Malik Willis, Joey Gatewood, Cord Sandberg or Bo Nix? Right now, I mean. What specifically about them makes them better?

Seems difficult to make that assessment, given that you've never seen those guys play anywhere close to a full game of college football, nor have you seen what that guy could do on our roster and in our offense. 

I am absolutely appalled that you would bring logic to this fight. Appalled, I say!!

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

That's why I don't do it very often.

Image result for stupid gif

The fact that you use her gifs often makes me like you even more. She's a gem. lol

Just now, Linayus said:

The fact that you use her gifs often makes me like you even more. She's a gem. lol

So glad you acknowledged that, because I sped through several before seeing JLaw and automatically hitting CTRL+C. 

6 hours ago, cole256 said:

Since when are high school kids considered Auburn men? And how many of them has Auburn signed for being Auburn men?

Archived