Buffalo GT QB Tyree Jackson Enters NFL Draft (Update 1/6/19)

tigermac

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

On this message board. Year after year more than one of our alleged insiders has posted that Auburn's goal is to start the spring practice with four scholarship QB's. You've had to have seen that several times. I fear for your memory circuits!

Who has said this? Don't have a clue or not if this is true. Only two of these QB's get real snaps in practice. 

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, DAG said:

Or we could have waited and picked up a grad transfer like the one we are talking about on this thread, no? 

I personally don't think they had any reason to wait. And they certainly didn't have any reason to assume that a better option would both 1) become available and 2) agree to come here. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

I personally don't think they had any reason to wait. And they certainly didn't have any reason to assume that a better option would both 1) become available and 2) agree to come here. 

And that’s fine. That is the choice they chose to make. I am just not holding my breathe on him ever playing aignificantly at Auburn. I guess we will see who is ultimately right at the end of the day.

21 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Most of the SEC is playing transfers at QB?

There are 6 SEC teams in the top 50 in total offense nationally. Only 1 of them played a transfer at QB. 

Auburn? 

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Potentially, but you know what they say about potential? 

And that's exactly why they grabbed a guy with very impressive credentials when they had the chance. Because we have nothing at the position except potential. 

If we had signed this guy out of high school, folks would be much higher on him than they have been about most of our QB candidates. Like, he was a really, really good high school QB who would have been perfect in almost any iteration of Gus's offense. If you have a big issue with the layoff, then I can't talk you out of that, but everything else about his past screams sign him. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

And that's exactly why they grabbed a guy with very impressive credentials when they had the chance. Because we have nothing at the position except potential. 

If we had signed this guy out of high school, folks would be much higher on him than they have been about most of our QB candidates. Like, he was a really, really good high school QB who would have been perfect in almost any iteration of Gus's offense. If you have a big issue with the layoff, then I can't talk you out of that, but everything else about his past screams sign him. 

Well like I said let’s see who is right in the end. I don’t think he is as good as you think he is. We did this with Jason Smith. Let’s do it again. 

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

I am just not holding my breathe on him ever playing aignificantly at Auburn. I guess we will see who is ultimately right at the end of the day.

Who said he's going to play significantly? 

I know you understand the need for depth. 

Also, who are you assuming is going to be an SEC-quality starting QB for us 8 months from now? 

1 minute ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

What? Can't be. Gus is a offensive guru. 

Well, when he was calling the plays, we scored more in the 1st Half than any other SEC team scored in their entire bowl game!

Just now, McLoofus said:

Who said he's going to play significantly? 

I know you understand the need for depth. 

Also, who are you assuming is going to be an SEC-quality starting QB for us 8 months from now? 

Well I figured he signed with us because he wanted to eventually start ? Lol. Dan Mullen said he reminds him of Tebow , right? So I figured he should be able to win the starting QB position at Auburn.

Just now, LakeBum said:

Well, when he was calling the plays, we scored more in the 1st Half than any other SEC team scored in their entire bowl game!

I would pump the brakes on this.

IMO, the Purdue game is the equivalent of Jeremy Johnson's explosion in the first half of the Arkansas game back in 2014. Arkansas prepped for our read option game with Nick Marshall all summer and JJ6 killed them through the air in those first 30 minutes. Purdue spent the entire month prepping for a CCL/CGM hybrid offense and instead got an old school Gus offense and didn't know what to do with it. Next season our opponents will quickly catch back on to Gus' tendencies and we will be right back to square one.

21 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Who has said this? Don't have a clue or not if this is true. Only two of these QB's get real snaps in practice. 

I don't have a source, but I do remember something about wanting 4 QB's at all times.

Just now, DAG said:

Well I figured he signed with us because he wanted to eventually start ? Lol. Dan Mullen said he reminds him of Tebow , right? So I figured he should be able to win the starting QB position at Auburn.

No, he signed with us because we offered him a full ride. This was discussed quite a bit when we signed him. 

Nobody ever said he would start at Auburn. All I'm saying and all anyone has said is that it made sense to sign him at the time. So if he never starts, you will not have won an argument with me. But since we're here now and you want to go back several years to bring up Jason Smith- lol, really man?- feel free to tell me exactly how signing Sandberg hurt us, or how it prevents us from getting a better QB instead, or who that QB is that we're not going to get because of Sandberg, or how exactly you know that he's better than Sandberg. Not sure how you can, since potential means absolutely nothing? 

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

On this message board. Year after year more than one of our alleged insiders has posted that Auburn's goal is to start the spring practice with four scholarship QB's. You've had to have seen that several times. I fear for your memory circuits!

No I haven't seen it, I'd remember if I had because I probably would've challenged it....but who said it? Any one of the.insiders?

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

No, he signed with us because we offered him a full ride. This was discussed quite a bit when we signed him. 

Nobody ever said he would start at Auburn. All I'm saying and all anyone has said is that it made sense to sign him at the time. So if he never starts, you will not have won an argument with me. But since we're here now and you want to go back several years to bring up Jason Smith- lol, really man?- feel free to tell me exactly how signing Sandberg hurt us, or how it prevents us from getting a better QB instead, or who that QB is that we're not going to get because of Sandberg, or how exactly you know that he's better than Sandberg. Not sure how you can, since potential means absolutely nothing? 

Oh did I say it hurt us? 

Oh did I say it is preventing us from getting another QB? 

I simply said I don’t think we had to go after Cord Sandberg. If you don’t agree with that then that is fine. At the end of the day, we will see if having Cord Sandberg on the team plays any type of dividends to the progress of Auburn.  

I do not think we need to pursue T.J. Gus has 4 scholarship QBs on the roster, all 4 recruited and signed by him. Two of them, JG and BN, he has been recruiting since they were in the 10th grade. He has been granted a contract extension, taken back play calling and OC duties, and has a roster of QBs he selected. He needs to have at least one of them ready to succeed next year, or he needs to be fired. 

17 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Next season our opponents will quickly catch back on to Gus' tendencies and we will be right back to square one.

I rebuke this. 😂

2 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

I rebuke this. 😂

You know you're my bro but man I cannot be roped into this Gus hope again. I've given Gus more chances than I've given my crazy ex-girlfriends and I've learned my lesson at this point.

I totally get the hope and optimism, particularly after dominating Purdue, but we have been here before. 1 step forward, 2 steps back has been a common theme it seems like for the post Nick Marshall era. JMO though

1 minute ago, Tiger said:

You know you're my bro but man I cannot be roped into this Gus hope again. I've given Gus more chances than I've given my crazy ex-girlfriends and I've learned my lesson at this point.

I totally get the hope and optimism, particularly after dominating Purdue, but we have been here before. 1 step forward, 2 steps back has been a common theme it seems like for the post Nick Marshall era. JMO though

No I’m there with you, but I am hoping for better things in 2019 like we all are. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Oh did I say it hurt us? 

Oh did I say it is preventing us from getting another QB? 

I simply said I don’t think we had to go after Cord Sandberg. If you don’t agree with that then that is fine. At the end of the day, we will see if having Cord Sandberg on the team plays any type of dividends to the progress of Auburn.  

Actually, your exact words were "we could have waited". And yet, we did sign Sandberg, and we could still sign another QB. You said a lot of other stuff, too, like some really inconsistent opinions on potential. But I didn't come here to argue. I was just trying to answer your questions about Sandberg. 

18 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Actually, your exact words were "we could have waited". And yet, we did sign Sandberg, and we could still sign another QB. You said a lot of other stuff, too, like some really inconsistent opinions on potential. But I didn't come here to argue. I was just trying to answer your questions about Sandberg. 

We could have waited, no? How does that statement in any form or fashion have to do with signing 1,2, or even 3 QBs? Again, my point is not when we could’ve signed someone. My whole point is I don’t think Cord Sandberg is that talented. You do.  I do think the coaching staff was freaking out because they had concerns with the talent they had behind JS, so they did pursue Cord.

They clearly see something in him. I just don’t see it. I didnt see it then and I don’t see it now. If I cared that much about when a QB was signed and how much QBs were on the roster then why the heck was I vouching so much for KB to get here. I don’t care if we sign seven QBs as long as they can produce on the field when called upon. 

What inconsistency did I say about potential? You refer to Dan Mullen comments about this guy. That is great and all but at the end of the day, this means absolutely nothing until we see results on the field. Joey Gatewood has been compared to Cam Newton. Cool. That is a great compliment. It means nothing if you aren’t producing . MW has been compared to Nick Marshall several times throughout the years. We all could hope so, but once again, it is just a compliment until he produces on the field.

And honestly I didnt ask you to answer my question. Lol You chose to chime in and here we are. I just hope that someone with the potential that you claim he has will do more then provide quality depth and signal calls from the sidelines 

if anything I am wondering why the staff doesn’t seem to want this guy.

I'm always one to think that having too much talent on the team is never a bad thing. So what if he gives us a fifth QB? Bring him in and let him compete. More options that way. He might be great.

30 minutes ago, DAG said:

My whole point is I don’t think Cord Sandberg is that talented. You do.  

I haven't watched him play. Which is why I don't know how talented he is. All I know is his high school resume, which "screams" sign him. Which is why I'm not questioning the signing.

What inconsistency did I say about potential?

I provided the links, but ok. You said that Jackson has more potential than Sandberg. How you arrived at that conclusion, I'm not sure. But you seem to think potential matters when it comes to Jackson. But when I said that Sandberg had more potential than some other guys, your comment- 2 posts later- was, "You know what they say about potential." So then you didn't think potential mattered. 

And honestly I didnt ask you to answer my question. Lol You chose to chime in and here we are. 

Yeah. We're on a message board.

I just hope that someone with the potential that you claim he has will do more then provide quality depth and signal calls from the sidelines 

I don't claim that he has potential. He does have it. See your comments about Gatewood and Newton. That word is causing you a lot of problems today. What I didn't say is that he's actually any better than the other guys. And yeah, I also hope that somebody provides more than depth. I'm pretty sure that will happen. Other than just that one game 2 years ago, most teams usually have a starting quarterback. So yeah, I feel good about at least one guy providing more than quality depth. 

Archived