One Real Concern with the Shutdown

Brad_ATX

So if the shutdown continues through the end of the month, there could be severe monetary ramifications for many in this country.  The IRS likely will not give refunds while shut down, meaning people won't get tax refunds for quite a while.  I can tell you first hand from working in retail the last 7 years that businesses rely on that tax time spend from consumers to help make their Q1 numbers.  Will be interesting to see the pressure ramp up on Washington once people realize their money is in jeopardy.  Businesses are already having to make this adjustment and I would expect the markets to react accordingly as well.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/04/what-the-federal-shutdown-could-mean-for-tax-season.html

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

So if the shutdown continues through the end of the month, there could be severe monetary ramifications for many in this country.  The IRS likely will not give refunds while shut down, meaning people won't get tax refunds for quite a while.  I can tell you first hand from working in retail the last 7 years that businesses rely on that tax time spend from consumers to help make their Q1 numbers.  Will be interesting to see the pressure ramp up on Washington once people realize their money is in jeopardy.  Businesses are already having to make this adjustment and I would expect the markets to react accordingly as well.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/04/what-the-federal-shutdown-could-mean-for-tax-season.html

Yup. I worked sales while finishing my MBA. Many items/projects are purchased with Tax Refunds. It will definitely impact Q1 numbers and will put some behind for the entire year.

A favorite Trump comment that I read was about govt employees not getting paid and Trump believing landlords will be sympathetic. Hell no, they are going to want their money.

All this over a wall that I personally don't believe will work and from what I have read the majority of Texas doesn't want either. Kind of funny, yet sad, that Trump might actually do what the type of thing many Texans claimed Obama was going to try and do.

I think the shutdown is crazy, and I don't think a wall would do as much good as Trump says.  And the cost is very high.

But for just a minute, forget about the financial cost.  What is the opposition to the wall?

Keeping illegal immigrants out, yet also providing a "door" for legal and proper entry, seems like a very good thing to me.

I keep hearing liberals say the wall is "immoral".  What the hell is immoral about it?  If the wall is immoral, it sure seems to me that the oceans should be deemed immoral as well.

I'm shocked that the masses seem very eager to give illegal Mexican immigrants a towel and a driver's license as soon as they emerge on our side of the Rio Grande.

27 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

I think the shutdown is crazy, and I don't think a wall would do as much good as Trump says.  And the cost is very high.

But for just a minute, forget about the financial cost.  What is the opposition to the wall?

Keeping illegal immigrants out, yet also providing a "door" for legal and proper entry, seems like a very good thing to me.

I keep hearing liberals say the wall is "immoral".  What the hell is immoral about it?  If the wall is immoral, it sure seems to me that the oceans should be deemed immoral as well.

I'm shocked that the masses seem very eager to give illegal Mexican immigrants a towel and a driver's license as soon as they emerge on our side of the Rio Grande.

To be accurate, Pelosi did not call the wall immoral. 

She said specifically "what the president did is not constitutional, indeed, in the view of many of us, it is immoral".

https://www.washingtonpost.com/videonational/pelosi-trumps-travel-ban-is-immoral/2017/01/30/93f1ae02-e745-11e6-903d-9b11ed7d8d2a_video.html?utm_term=.92fda3c5852b

13 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

All this over a wall that I personally don't believe will work and from what I have read the majority of Texas doesn't want either. Kind of funny, yet sad, that Trump might actually do what the type of thing many Texans claimed Obama was going to try and do.

LOL that's true. Jade Helm but for real. 

2 hours ago, KolchakAU85 said:

My opposition has everything to do with the fact that building an actual wall won't work.  It's not that hard to dig tunnels.

Border security is an issue that needs to be talked about seriously in conjunction with the people who see it everyday.  If we listen to them, they will tell you it's not a wall that's needed, but more things like drones and people on the ground (both of which are exponentially cheaper than a wall).  If we want to fund something along those parameters, then I think you would get a lot more support from Democratic leadership who have said some of the same things.

Issue is we have a president that largely based his campaign on building a wall that Mexico will pay for (which was a pipe dream to begin with).  Considering independents are beginning to sharply break against him in polls, he has to deliver as many of these things as possible to his base in order to have a chance at re-election.  It's one of the dumbest fights I can remember because Trump really has no way of winning this and hasn't left himself a good "out" to seem like a winner.  He won't get backing from the House and once people stop receiving things like income tax refunds, the pitchforks will be out.

2 hours ago, KolchakAU85 said:

One major issue with the wall is that you are taking land away from Texas ranchers for instance. Then in more than one instance you are cutting off the ranchers from their water sources.

Noone in Texas is eager to just open the flood gates. If I can find the article I will, but Texans are for stronger borders in regards to the use of people and not the use of a wall.

I think the immoral part you are hearing is that this wall will be forced on the lands regardless of them wanting it or not. Those that are for the wall do not believe that the government will compensate them properly.

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 11:57 AM, KolchakAU85 said:

I agree except I support a wall/barrier. We are spending around $150B per year on illegals so why not a few billion for a wall which will help reduce the number of illegals. We are helping Jordan build a wall, Obama has one, and Israel has one. Heck even the Vatican has one so is it immoral?

On 1/5/2019 at 2:08 PM, Brad_ATX said:

My opposition has everything to do with the fact that building an actual wall won't work.  It's not that hard to dig tunnels.

Border security is an issue that needs to be talked about seriously in conjunction with the people who see it everyday.  If we listen to them, they will tell you it's not a wall that's needed, but more things like drones and people on the ground (both of which are exponentially cheaper than a wall).  If we want to fund something along those parameters, then I think you would get a lot more support from Democratic leadership who have said some of the same things.

A wall alone won't be the answer, but no one is saying it will be. A comprehensive approach is necessary and a wall is part of the equation.

Nearly 90% of border agents agree with a wall as part of said equation. https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/apr/2/border-patrol-agents-back-trump-wall-survey-finds/

As long as Trump is in office, I do not think Dems will agree with the boots on the ground. They agreed before and they will agree after, but not now. Think about that for a moment. 

1 hour ago, AUFAN78 said:

A wall alone won't be the answer, but no one is saying it will be. A comprehensive approach is necessary and a wall is part of the equation.

Nearly 90% of border agents agree with a wall as part of said equation. https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/apr/2/border-patrol-agents-back-trump-wall-survey-finds/

As long as Trump is in office, I do not think Dems will agree with the boots on the ground. They agreed before and they will agree after, but not now. Think about that for a moment. 

I think if Trump put Dreamers on the table and giving them a pathway to permanent citizenship, then you would absolutely get boots on the ground at the border from Dems.

On 1/5/2019 at 11:57 AM, KolchakAU85 said:

Trump has no meaningful plan to assess, just rhetoric.

Where was everyone when the government and Federal reserve was using TARP money to reimburse the banks while the banks put millions out of work in the residential construction industry for 5 years?  I don't want anyone to go without a pay check but I heard no outrage for people in the construction industry losing not one pay check but everything they owned.

48 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

Where was everyone when the government and Federal reserve was using TARP money to reimburse the banks while the banks put millions out of work in the residential construction industry for 5 years?  I don't want anyone to go without a pay check but I heard no outrage for people in the construction industry losing not one pay check but everything they owned.

Not to mention Obama shut down the gov't over getting Obamacare passed.

13 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Not to mention Obama shut down the gov't over getting Obamacare passed.

You won't hear a peep about that from the media.

0.0998%

This is the percentage of the total budget shutting down the government. My boss said it was like having a $100k household budget and completely freezing every account you have while not paying any bills because your wife wants to install a new $100 lock on the front door. This is not what Pelosi should be picking her fight over - especially considering the past support by her and others. It is a shame she is not loosing her pay. 

On 1/9/2019 at 4:02 PM, NolaAuTiger said:

@Brad_ATX You forgot to mention the 40,000 Louisianaian's who rely on flood insurance!

Federal flood insurance is a good topic for another thread, especially with the implications of global warming.

1 hour ago, NorthGATiger said:

Everyone was hit during the 2008 financial crisis. 

And the bank bailout is really a totally different subject than this.

24 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

You won't hear a peep about that from the media.

Obama 2013 and Trump 2018. Are the shutdowns the same? Not exactly

https://www.politifact.com/facebook-fact-checks/statements/2019/jan/02/blog-posting/obama-2013-and-trump-2018-are-shutdowns-same/

12 minutes ago, AUcivE09 said:

0.0998%

This is the percentage of the total budget shutting down the government. My boss said it was like having a $100k household budget and completely freezing every account you have while not paying any bills because your wife wants to install a new $100 lock on the front door. This is not what Pelosi should be picking her fight over - especially considering the past support by her and others. It is a shame she is not loosing her pay. 

First, to the individual not getting his pay check, it's a "100% problem".

Secondly, this it Trump's shut down. He took personal responsibility for it.  On TV, in front of the entire nation. (Did you miss it?)

‘I am proud to shut down the government’, Trump tells Schumer – video

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/video/2018/dec/11/donald-trump-government-shut-down-chuck-schumer-white-house-video

2 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Secondly, this it Trump's shut down. He took personal responsibility for it.  On TV, in front of the entire nation. (Did you miss it?)

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/video/2018/dec/11/donald-trump-government-shut-down-chuck-schumer-white-house-video

I am proud he said it and that he is standing his ground and doing it after having everything crammed down our throats for 8 years.  It is extremely important that we stop the flow of illegal immigrants freely entering this country without any documentation. 

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

I see very little here that even remotely addresses my comment (Did you miss it?). You do not always have to go out of your way to be so abrasive.

1 hour ago, NorthGATiger said:

I am proud he said it and that he is standing his ground and doing it after having everything crammed down our throats for 8 years.  It is extremely important that we stop the flow of illegal immigrants freely entering this country without any documentation. 

Self. *******. Parody. 

1 hour ago, AUDub said:

The wall is a totem. Nothing more.

Somebody ate a handful of blue pills today and read twitter. ;)

Archived