2019 2* LB/HB Kameron Brown Commits to AU!!!

AUDub

On 1/5/2019 at 5:14 PM, augolf1716 said:

It was big cause bammer wanted him as well but I don't remember Auburn people going crazy that we got this unbelieveable player. It was nothing compared to when we got Pat and Terry everybody went crazy....................................and I mean everybody. Mickey may remember it differently 

Somewhere in a folder in a cardboard box covered with dust, there is the clipping I cut out of the B'ham news's list of the top ten players in the state Bo's senior year in high school. (some of us are weird, I have them for many years)Alan Evans was #1, Bo was fourth. I don't recall who numbers two and three were. Recruiting wasn't that big of a deal back then. I recall comments from one publication. They were dubious about Bo's future as a football player, thought more of his track abilities. However, their final sentence about Bo Jackson was "On the other hand, he could be the stuff that legends come from, time will tell".

• Like 5
  • Love 2

Agree with it all WDE, except the Cox bashing. Damn I hate that Gus turned the fans against Cox with his stupid ef'n whirlybird bidness. That dude was a good football player and teammate.

Edited by ValleyTiger
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, WarEagle2423 said:

If we get him as a fullback, what position do we likely take away from with the last 9 spots? 

Not necessarily any. It wasn't guaranteed we would use all 9 spots.

1 hour ago, PUB78 said:

If we sign Brown as a FB or HB, does this mean Joiner will actually be used as a RB instead of a FB?

Joiner is a different type of HB. Taking KB would likely not effect what position HJ plays.

4 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

Agree with it all WDE, except the Cox bashing. Damn I hate that Gus turned the fans against Cox with his stupid ef'n whirlybird bidness. That dude was a good football player and teammate.

He was good overall but definitely inconsistent at times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I also don’t think the whirly bird turned anyone against him. Is so they suck.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Tough blocking assignments on damn near every play (and the ineptitude of the 2018 OL) can make good players inconsistent. 

34 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

You are right on Valley.  Glad someone called him out. WDE has inside knowledge for sure and I respect that,  but I don't agree with some of his personal opinions.  This one tops the list.

10 hours ago, ValleyTiger said:

Tough blocking assignments on damn near every play (and the ineptitude of the 2018 OL) can make good players inconsistent. 

True but I’m not just speaking of this year. This was not the only year he’s missed some blocks, some of which were  missed assignments. Like I said before, he was good overall but he had his inconsistencies.  He’s a wonderful Auburn man. That doesn’t mean he was a great full back though.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Cox's blocking was definitely... hit or miss 😁... but his effort and heart can't be questioned.  Problem is he was a Heath Evans HB and we tried to use him like a Jake Slaughter or Brandon Johnson type of FB

• Like 3

Since this thread started out being about Kameron Brown, I thought I'd go back to that subject.  I'm all for offering him a scholarship.  If he is anything like his brother, Derrick, he'll be an asset to our program. I'll take DB's opinion that his brother is a baller and give him a shot.  What's to lose?  It's not like we have this great record of success with our picks each year anyway.  I hope Kameron commits to Auburn and that the Brown brothers get to play a year of football together for us. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 1/5/2019 at 4:48 PM, BufordTiger said:

In Bo's recruiting class we did sign the #1 rated RB in America.  Alan Evans from Enterprise chose Auburn over Southern Cal.  Yes--the same Alan Evans (Rashaan Evan's father) that seems to hold a grudge today against Auburn University because he was not as talented as Bo.  He transferred to UT-Chattanooga and to my understanding, was never a starter there either. 

Alan Evans wasn't a starter until it was time for Rashaan to pick a school. Then he really started some sh**.

:rimshot:

• Haha 3

I hope he's put at LB if he's fast enough to play there. That's where we're hurting, number-wise. In any case, I like this kid's apparent talent and personality. That's without regard to who his brother is. Kameron Brown could be this year's Daniel Thomas or Boobie Whitlow. Both of those guys were lower-rated late additions that have helped us win games.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ellitor said:

Joiner is a different type of HB. Taking KB would likely not effect what position HJ plays.

To your point...

Seems like HB under Gus is always a FB hybrid or a TE hybrid (or, in Prosch's case, an OG hybrid). Uzomah played "HB", IIRC, but he was in essence a TE. Eric Smith played "HB", but he was more of a FB. And there have been several other guys who would have played FB or TE at other schools, it seems. Anyway, Joiner seems like more of the TE/HB with this guy being more of a FB/HB. 

I love the thought of getting more Brown genes on our team. As @WarDamnEagleWDE mentions, that is a family that we want associated with our program. The freakish athleticism is only part of it. 

And yeah, Cox is a warrior and a leader and a great pass catcher. Maybe even a better ball carrier than he was called upon to be at Auburn. He did not always achieve his blocking assignments. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

Somewhere in a folder in a cardboard box covered with dust, there is the clipping I cut out of the B'ham news's list of the top ten players in the state Bo's senior year in high school. (some of us are weird, I have them for many years)Alan Evans was #1, Bo was fourth. I don't recall who numbers two and three were. Recruiting wasn't that big of a deal back then. I recall comments from one publication. They were dubious about Bo's future as a football player, thought more of his track abilities. However, their final sentence about Bo Jackson was "On the other hand, he could be the stuff that legends come from, time will tell".

Where is Forrest Davis when we need him?

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, tinman said:

Where is Forrest Davis when we need him?

I think Bo was even before Forrest Davis. Davis is the reason I stopped paying any attention to B'ham news ratings. Talk about an automatic "Bammer Bump"!

• Like 1

Kameron Brown details offer, OV plans and HS coach gives his take

Oyif6o2zcvg6fk6nx1yz

Auburn offered Kameron Brown, younger brother of Derrick Brown, last week.
Rivals.com
Ben Wolk • AuburnSports.com

SUGAR HILL, Ga. — Prior to his senior season, 

had a memorable conversation that gave him motivation.

The Lanier (Ga.) linebacker had been a two-year starter for the 6A program with a track record of churning out Division-I talent. As a 6-foot linebacker, Brown hadn't received as much college attention as some of his high school colleagues.

His older brother Derrick Brown had some words of wisdom.

"The conversation that really hit me, it was my brother. He told me if you actually want to play on levels like this, levels like Auburn, you need to come on with it and have a good year," Kameron said about his talk with his older brother.

Brown did that and then some.

He led the entire state in tackles with 187. That number, of course, topped Gwinnett County, one of the best recruiting hot beds in the country. He added 24 tackles for loss, 14 quarterback hurries, six sacks and a force fumble. Brown's play earned him recognition from the local Gwinnett Daily Post newspaper as the county's Defensive Player of the Year.

It has since earned him much more.

Last week, Brown put his phone down for a few hours during his shift at the local Margaritaville. He clocked out, hopped in his car and noticed a missed call from an unknown Alabama number. His first thought: Why is Derrick calling from a random number?

Upon returning the call, Brown learned something he wasn't expecting.

"It was coach [Gus] Malzahn. He said, "We've been looking at your film and tracking you all year,'" Brown said. "Then he offered me. I heard, 'We're going to offer you,' and I was like, 'What?' It didn't process until the next morning really. I just turned the car off and sat there. I was like, 'Dang, they're really willing to risk something on me.'"

The Auburn offer was Brown's fifth.

The other four: Gardner-Webb, Tennessee-Chattanooga, Citadel and Pikeville.

It wasn't exactly the murderers' row of college football programs. But, as Brown's high school coach Korey Mobbs confirmed Wednesday, Auburn isn't the only FBS or Power 5 program who has been in contact since Brown's senior-season outburst. Auburn's offer, however, will likely deter other programs from making much of a push given the family connection with the Tigers.

Yet again, Kameron had a meaningful conversation with Derrick.

"At first, I didn't want to post the offer. I just wanted to keep it silent. But I called him and said I just got an offer — from Auburn. I said coach Malzahn had called me. He was like, 'Bro, post it. Why are you waiting? Post it,'" Brown said. "He said there were going to be a lot of things that come with this. There will be a lot of opportunities. There will be people that try to drag you down. He said, 'Just stay the same way you are right now.'"

By now, Brown has heard the criticisms.

He's a 6-foot linebacker who didn't have many notable college football offers. He, unlike his 5-star brother, doesn't have all the physical traits many programs search for in a world that sometimes prioritizes measureables over on-field production.

"It makes me hungry for it. I get I'm not as big as a lot of players. But I'll come with it every time. All you've got to do is have confidence and go out and play," Brown said. "My word I like using is savage. I'll go out and do anything, play anything and do any kind of work. Because I'm working all summer long to just play. Football is my life. I love it. All I want to do is play it."

Brown's closing comment is telling.

When Gus Malzahn offered him, he presented him with some specifics. Brown would have a shot at linebacker where there is a need now and going forward on the Tigers depth chart. He'd also have a chance to succeed Chandler Cox as the team's starting H-back, known as a role for hard-working competitors.

Brown admits: He would prefer to play linebacker. More than anything, though, he wants to play.

It will be at the forefront of Brown's conversation with the Tigers when he officially visit Jan. 18.

"I want to have conversations about what position will I really be set in. Will I be a true linebacker? Or will I be an H-back?" Brown said. "But I've already told coach Malzahn I'll play anything. Any way to get on the field, I'll play. That's the biggest part of it. The offer, it just felt like a chance. It's the best level in college football. I get a chance to try and do my thing and try to stay on that level."

COACHES CORNER: Lanier (Ga.) head coach Korey Mobbs

Lanier (Ga.) coach Korey Mobbs has had his fair share of elite football prospects since taking over as head coach in 2014.

Auburn has seen it first-hand with Kameron's older brother Derrick. Mobbs has had other prospects sign with Purdue, Western Kentucky, Wake Forest, LSU, Texas A&M, Temple and others.

But Kameron, Mobbs said, is different.

"He's probably the most physical player we've ever had at Lanier, and that includes a lot of really good players," Mobbs said. "He's the kid that, when you put on the film, he finds a way to make every play. To me, he's a no-brainer. He's the most productive player we've ever had."

Then Mobbs dropped the buzzword often circulated around Brown's recruitment, or — until last Friday — lack thereof: "Measureables."

That has been the knock on the 6-foot, 220-pound linebacker.

Mobbs admitted he has tried to put bias aside when it comes to Brown. Everytime, however, he returns back to what he, as a football coach, can't deny.

"I think we spend so much time looking at measureables that eventually the kind of football player he is won out," Mobbs said. "The production won out. People realized that even though he's only 6-foot, you look at what he's done as a three-year starter here and playing good football against good competition. I think that matters."

But it begs a fair question: What makes Brown different than your run-of-the-mill, 6-foot linebacker?

"It's football instinct. It's in his blood. He's always been a leader. His brother is a leader now and was a leader here, but he kinda grew into that. Kam's been a leader from Day 1," Mobb said. "He's the total package. It's funny to say, but it even boils down to how he treats people. He's just a likable kid. There's not a person in this building who has a negative thing to say about Kam Brown. As a high school coach, it's rewarding to see that finally pay off for a kid that's been deserving for quite some time."

Edited by Auburn Kev
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

50 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Dude looks more like Derrick Brown than Derrick Brown does. 

6'0 222? I have my doubts. Thicccccc

I almost choke laughing! Thanks for that! LOL

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

I almost choke laughing! Thanks for that! LOL

If Derrick Brown fans carry a picture in their wallet.....This is the person in the picture. LMAO that was hillarious

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

The more I read about him the more I want him.  I like his attitude I will play anywhere and do anything just get me on the field.  He has Pythons for arms so if he gets his hands on somebody they are not getting away.  I know he is short but he produced against some of the best competition in Georgia he is a baller. This is the type of player you take a chance on I have a feeling we won't be sorry if he signs with us.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

If Derrick Brown fans carry a picture in their wallet.....This is the person in the picture. LMAO that was hillarious

Okay, it's not just me. Whew. 

• Like 1

if he were to grow an inch or two, it would be like stars shot out of a cannon, 

I think this kid can play

• Like 1

I watched some of his hudl highlights.  I REALLY like the way he takes on blockers in the hole and jams everything up.  He may be "undersized" but he definitely isn't afraid to hit the big boys and clog a hole.  Also has power to hit like a truck.  Really like this kid

i really don't understand the whole "undersized" thing.....Isnt he listed as 6"0 and 220? That's really not undersized.....I think the issue with him is he needs to be trimmed up and instead of the 220 he is now he needs good weight on. Needs to get more muscle....JMO.....would love to hear more from you guys

• Like 1