Feeling better about next year

thaitopher

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Prove it or remove it. 

I reached out to him via PM so if he chooses to get dragged into this he can.  I am not going to do it without his permission like I stated above.  It should be pretty easy to figure out who it is on your own, especially since you are a tenured poster.

3 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I reached out to him via PM so if he chooses to get dragged into this he can.  I am not going to do it without his permission like I stated above.  It should be pretty easy to figure it out on your own, especially since you are a tenured poster.

FTR, what you're saying about JJ is true.

Just now, bigbird said:

FTR, what you're saying about JJ is true.

JJ had every incentive to work hard at his craft.  I hope this info is coming from a player, coach  or staffer, because it's being used in an attempt to save Gus' rep as a QB whisperer.   In your opinion, was it actually laziness or was he just in over his head and not getting it?

41 minutes ago, AURealist said:

JJ had every incentive to work hard at his craft.  I hope this info is coming from a player, coach  or staffer, because it's being used in an attempt to save Gus' rep as a QB whisperer.   In your opinion, was it actually laziness or was he just in over his head and not getting it?

Kind of all of it.  

On 1/6/2019 at 7:53 PM, Mims44 said:

If Gatewood can turn the corner with his passing, things could get awesome real quick. His quickness in the Purdue game was surprising.

Nothing against Gatewood but after watching that Clemson QB.....I want us to get Nix ready to start. Put the best players on the field. Why can't we start a freshman as well? It's the coaches job to get guys prepared to play. If Gus can't trust the QBs he recruits then what's the point. 

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Kind of all of it.  

Makes sense to me, since he gave up the QB dream pretty quickly and decided to pursue whatever opportunity he had with basketball. I gave up following him after that so not sure what he's doing now.

7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Kind of all of it.  

Seemed to me he lacked of the aggression required for the game and the SEC level of play seemed too fast for him.  Never considered he might be lazy.

4 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Really? 

Yep in today’s odds for winning next years CFP game we are tied for #14 at 50-1.  I didn’t say we would finish that high just expectations would be that high from prognosticators. 😁

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Kind of all of it.  

With all the hype going into the 2015 season, I guess JJ felt he didn’t need to put in the time. When it showed he needed to put in more time, he wasn’t willing to put in the effort.  Makes you wonder, if this was known, why it took Gus until after the LSU game to pull the plug on him.  IIRC, even during the off week that year, Gus opened up the QB competition again and kept SW there.

All we heard in the off season in 2015 was he will be the next Heisman and he was tearing it up in practice.  This really doesn’t bode well for Gus’ QB evaluation, before or after they arrive on campus.

Interesting point from Saben in the post game interview. They were asking about a young QB being able to come in and play early and be sucessful. Saben said he thinks we will see a lot more of it because Highschools are running pretty much the same offenses as college now. Also the training by coaching gurus and the 7 on 7 competitions make these guys much better today than before. I personally think with Bo’s past with 7 on 7 with Cam coaching, his Dads coaching and all he can be very qualified to go day 1 especially with being here for spring training. I think with his dad and now Dilly here we won’t see some of the transgressions of the past with our QB players. JMHO

At this point it all hinges on Qb play for next year.  Everything else is in place.  

Dline- stacked

LBs and DBs very talented, young, but got lots of playing time his season.  Britt, Jiburon, Tutt, Smoke, Sherwood

Oline - will be better

Rbs loaded

Wrs loaded

TEs might actually exist with Joiner, Fromm, and maybe Deal.  

FB - TE May fill that void.  Also have Nigh and the young TE from this season.  Maybe Browns young brother?

24 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

If Gus can't trust the QBs he recruits then what's the point. 

Every year about 200 freshmen QBs report to college campuses hoping to play.  The past two years only one made it the championship and maybe one more put his team in the top 25.  Guys like Lawrence are exceptional and maybe Nix is too but even seeing video of the two of them in HS, I don't think BN is there yet...JMO. 

So which QB do you want Gus to trust?    ….Me?    I'm just hoping it's the one who gives us the best chance to win...

We can be loaded with TEs and Gus still not get it. I scratch my head to the fact that Gus has simply refused to include TEs in his offensive scheme. Hopefully, Dilly can make him reconsider that position. Clempsum used TEs to help with their win last night, so why don't we?

20 hours ago, James Howell said:

You mention white as a party animal.  Instead of making excuses for gus coaching you indite his ability as a coach.  I dont know if white as you say is a party animal but if you are correct he played for almost 2 years and at some point gus should recognize that white is not progressing and bench him but instead he continued to reward white bad behavior with starting.  That is sorry coaching.

Not when he is still the best option you've got to work with.

Just now, AU64 said:

Every year about 200 freshmen QBs report to college campuses hoping to play.  The past two years only one made it the championship and maybe one more put his team in the top 25.  Guys like Lawrence are exceptional and maybe Nix is too but even seeing video of the two of them in HS, I don't think BN is there yet...JMO. 

So which QB do you want Gus to trust?    ….Me?    I'm just hoping it's the one who gives us the best chance to win...

Clemson would not have known what Lawrence was unless they actually gave him a chance. Yes...not all are Lawrence but in Auburn's case...we know when it comes to Gus's offense the QB makes or breaks us in a big way. If Gus can't trust his backup QBs to even throw passes why the hell is he recruiting them. Dabo, Saban & Myer have no qualms about playing young QBs b/c they trust their development and evaluation. While Auburn is out at junior colleges looking for the next Cam or Nick. 

No one knows what they have until they're given the chance. Nick or Cam didn't look good in practice or scrimmage. Coaches have to trust in their process and development. BAMA, Ohio State, UGA...Clemson and even programs like Texas and Washington state are not scared to do so. If you can't trust your QB to pass in a mop-up game then he shouldn't be playing.

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Last two years have seen three true freshman QBs make an impact in the Championship Game: Fromm for UGA last year, Tua for Alabama last year, and Lawrence for Clemson this year. The time when the college game is too complicated for the advanced high school QBs is coming to an end.

And Bo is the son of his head coach, who also coordinated offenses in the Power 5. So the son of a demonstrably good coach. Who grew up around Auburn stuff.

At this point, I get the feeling that we're all here to see the Bo Nix story play out in legendary form.

28 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Nothing against Gatewood but after watching that Clemson QB.....I want us to get Nix ready to start. Put the best players on the field. Why can't we start a freshman as well? It's the coaches job to get guys prepared to play. If Gus can't trust the QBs he recruits then what's the point

That Clemson QB had a great night, he was laser focused and made quick and decisive decision.  He went threw his progressions so fast, it made Tua look slow.  I believe that was not a run first offense we saw last night, but an offense designed around player personnel.  

The bolded art is spot on, it may take Gus 4 games to trust the QB.  He sure hasn’t shown the fans what our QBs on the roster can do.  We’ll just have to wait until he Oregon game to find out.

4 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

That Clemson QB had a great night, he was laser focused and made quick and decisive decision.  He went threw his progressions so fast, it made Tua look slow.  I believe that was not a run first offense we saw last night, but an offense designed around player personnel.  

The bolded art is spot on, it may take Gus 4 games to trust the QB.  He sure hasn’t shown the fans what our QBs on the roster can do.  We’ll just have to wait until he Oregon game to find out.

Agree. Good or bad....i just think we have to give our QBs the opportunity. I'm not saying Gatewood or Nix is the next Lawrence but i do respect that Saban and Dabo understand that in order to field the best team...they have to put the best players on the field no matter if they're a true freshman and they prepare them throughout the season.

2 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Agree. Good or bad....i just think we have to give our QBs the opportunity. I'm not saying Gatewood or Nix is the next Lawrence but i do respect that Saban and Dabo understand that in order to field the best team...they have to put the best players on the field no matter if they're a true freshman and they prepare them throughout the season.

I agree.  It kills me when our backup QBs were in the game and didn’t run the entire offense. There was plenty of opportunity for this to happen, but under Gus it doesn’t. 

Last year MW made better decisions with the ball.  I’ll never forget when MW made a great decision on an RPO in the 2017 UGA game and completed a pass down field.  The stadium went nuts and you could see Gus yelling at him to not throw the ball on the next play.  Always struck me as odd to squash a kid’s confidence after he made a great play by yelling at him that he did wrong.  Oh well.  Maybe Gus tried to expand MW’s role this year and he didn’t improve, IDK. It sets up an interesting off season for the QB position.

Oh, as to Dabo, he had to play his backup QB against Syracuse early in the season after his #1 went down and Kelly Bryant transferred.  He made a decision to go with Lawrence instead of Bryant and it could have bit him in the a$$. If the backup wasn’t prepared, there goes the perfect season.  Could we have done that in any of Gus’ seasons?

2 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I agree.  It kills me when our backup QBs were in the game and didn’t run the entire offense. There was plenty of opportunity for this to happen, but under Gus it doesn’t. 

Last year MW made better decisions with the ball.  I’ll never forget when MW made a great decision on an RPO in the 2017 UGA game and completed a pass down field.  The stadium went nuts and you could see Gus yelling at him to not throw the ball on the next play.  Always struck me as odd to squash a kid’s confidence after he made a great play by yelling at him that he did wrong.  Oh well.  Maybe Gus tried to expand MW’s role this year and he didn’t improve, IDK. It sets up an interesting off season for the QB position.

Oh, as to Dabo, he had to play his backup QB against Syracuse early in the season after his #1 went down and Kelly Bryant transferred.  He made a decision to go with Lawrence instead of Bryant and it could have bit him in the a$$. If the backup wasn’t prepared, there goes the perfect season.  Could we have done that in any of Gus’ seasons?

I agree regarding MW. Many are writing him off at this point but as you've stated i do think part of the reason he has regressed is that we didn't help his confidence in allowing him to run the offense when he got his chances. I don't think he was put in good situations. You look at a game like Alabama State and Liberty....those would've been golden opportunities for MW to get playing time the entire 4th quarter. I'm still lost with Gatewood and if he was healthy or what during the season.

It's just clear from our history that we don't know what we have with QBs until they go live in games. Practices alone have not been a good gauge for what we have at QB. It's certainly going to be interesting to see how the QB situation plays out. I hope we get Nix as ready as he can be. I think he may be a little different than with our past young QBs in that he's been well groomed at the QB position for a long time and clearly has the leadership and championship pedigree that's desired from a QB. I would love to see Gatewood get a shot as well b/c he could have a nice upside. I just hope Nix will not be realistically ruled out simply because he's a true freshman. There's nothing remotely complicated about our offense so i never understand the statements that a player has yet to grasp the offense as a reason why they're not playing. 

1 hour ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Interesting point from Saben in the post game interview. They were asking about a young QB being able to come in and play early and be sucessful. Saben said he thinks we will see a lot more of it because Highschools are running pretty much the same offenses as college now. Also the training by coaching gurus and the 7 on 7 competitions make these guys much better today than before. I personally think with Bo’s past with 7 on 7 with Cam coaching, his Dads coaching and all he can be very qualified to go day 1 especially with being here for spring training. I think with his dad and now Dilly here we won’t see some of the transgressions of the past with our QB players. JMHO

I really hope you're right - it would be awesome to see Nix execute an offense like Lawrence did last night against a pretty stout SEC defense.  We know Nix will get the attention and coaching he needs, we just need a scheme suited to his strengths.  

1 hour ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Clemson would not have known what Lawrence was unless they actually gave him a chance. Yes...not all are Lawrence but in Auburn's case...we know when it comes to Gus's offense the QB makes or breaks us in a big way. If Gus can't trust his backup QBs to even throw passes why the hell is he recruiting them. Dabo, Saban & Myer have no qualms about playing young QBs b/c they trust their development and evaluation. While Auburn is out at junior colleges looking for the next Cam or Nick. 

No one knows what they have until they're given the chance. Nick or Cam didn't look good in practice or scrimmage. Coaches have to trust in their process and development. BAMA, Ohio State, UGA...Clemson and even programs like Texas and Washington state are not scared to do so. If you can't trust your QB to pass in a mop-up game then he shouldn't be playing.

Could it be AU's brutal schedule that poses some trust issues with Gus & young QBs?  AU's annual schedule compared to the likes of Clemson/OSU/UGA and even UA is much tougher than those teams.  Hell, the schedule for 2019 alone we play 6 of the pre-season top 25 teams with only SoCarlina slated to play as many as we do.  

Gus finds his ass on the hot seat so often that he simply has to have a high level of trust in the most important position on the team, and he's felt like he needs a experienced/knowledgeable player back there that's mature and a good decision maker or else he'll get $#it canned.

23 minutes ago, keesler said:

Could it be AU's brutal schedule that poses some trust issues with Gus & young QBs?

Gus lost each of the last 2 Clemson games before they started. He lost the 2017 LSU game and this year's IB before halftime. He definitely overreacts to the opponent and the scoreboard. 

17 hours ago, tigerman1186 said:

Joey Gatewood=Felipe Franks....what this means....a good athlete playing QB...runs well, but passing isn't his strength...can throw the ball a mile, but passing is weak...but will get better with more experience....kinda like Felipe is becoming... 

When have you seen him throw enough to know that any of this is true?

Archived