Feeling better about next year

thaitopher

16 hours ago, James Howell said:

Please tell me what passing records todd set.  He set a single season record for touchdowns wow whe n you throw a screen and running back scores.  So dont talk to me about noodle arm and records.

If white was progressing how could a guy that had not played football in over a year come in and beat him out.

As for stidham who would play.  That is correct your great coach does not prepare backups to take over.  You guys make all the excuses for gus like no other coach has to go out and compete with injured players.  Poor gus.  Why dont you guys stop the gus doesnt win because crap.

Haven’t we had enough Gus is a bad coach discussions?

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, rophle said:

The thing about "Gus is bad" is that it is frequently a counterpoint to "Gus is good". I don't agree with the post you responded to, but folks can argue both sides of it. That's what a message board is for. 

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

The thing about "Gus is bad" is that it is frequently a counterpoint to "Gus is good". I don't agree with the post you responded to, but folks can argue both sides of it. That's what a message board is for. 

I understand what boards are for, but every topic doesn’t have to devolve into a bash Gus thread. The OP was giving reasons to look forward to next season, not debate for the thousandth time if Gus is good or bad. 

3 minutes ago, rophle said:

I understand what boards are for, but every topic doesn’t have to devolve into a bash Gus thread. The OP was giving reasons to look forward to next season, not debate for the thousandth time if Gus is good or bad. 

Opinions expressed on a message board are subject to disagreement. 

I'm not aware of any threads where positive opinions are forbidden.

If anybody wants a sunshine-only thread, they should probably find a sunshine-only forum.

30 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

The Meltdown thread. Any thread that you participate in. I’m sure there are others.

33 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

If anybody wants a sunshine-only thread, they should probably find a sunshine-only forum

You could start a firegus forum and stay there. I’d join as a formality just to get your numbers up.

2 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Nick or Cam didn't look good in practice or scrimmage.

Not sure where that comes from because I heard good things about both from the beginning.   But either, both of those guys had great Juco experience.....granted it's JUCO but that's way more than HS and they were more than two years out of HS when they got to AU.  I don't know what they looked like in practice but they were far from being HS freshmen with a couple months of mostly non-contact practice and it was pretty clear to the coaches that they could do the job.     BN definitely looks the part but class 7 HS in Alabama is a far cry from SEC.   

As for Fromm...yep that's a good story but what about the other QBs that the dawgs recruited and who have moved on?   Picking out a couple guys who are the rare exception proves nothing about any other HS prospect and IMO does not mean that a coach has to put any or all of them on the field to know what they can do?  JMO. . 

35 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Opinions expressed on a message board are subject to disagreement. 

If anybody wants a sunshine-only thread, they should probably find a sunshine-only forum.

Never said I only wanted sunshine; only that the bash Gus topic has been beat to death already. 

Also, there’s not a rule that says every opinion has to rebutted. 

51 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Last two years have seen three true freshman QBs make an impact in the Championship Game: Fromm for UGA last year, Tua for Alabama last year, and Lawrence for Clemson this year. The time when the college game is too complicated for the advanced high school QBs is coming to an end.

And Bo is the son of his head coach, who also coordinated offenses in the Power 5. So the son of a demonstrably good coach. Who grew up around Auburn stuff.

At this point, I get the feeling that we're all here to see the Bo Nix story play out in legendary form.

Clemson's qb is literally one of the best QB prospects ever....I'm sure we probably have a recruit every year who's dad was a coach before.....what does that really mean? Apparently Gus system is nothing like anybody's else since he doesn't want anybody talking to his qbs. The question is are we going to surround the QB with talent and give him a chance to be successful. After that I don't really know about fromm but the other QB's you mentioned Bo hasn't shown their talent level. 

Bo Nix is a very good HS qb. I agree he should be given a chance but let the chips falk where they may without lofty expectations please

18 hours ago, rophle said:

Oh I see we have gone totalitarian here.

17 hours ago, rophle said:

Never said I only wanted sunshine; only that the bash Gus topic has been beat to death already. 

Also, there’s not a rule that says every opinion has to rebutted. 

What does that mean? I can see you are gonna be a real hit here.

18 hours ago, rophle said:

The needle on "GUs is good or bad" shifts with every single development (season record, performance in rivalry games, Purdue blowout etc). So we should not have opinions on how Gus is performing for the $41 million he is making? Ooookkkk 

I'll concede that all the non-seniors returning minus Slayton, Stidham, and Jamel Dean. The Slayton loss isn't too huge, Stidham leaving means a big ? for this offseason at one of the most important positions, Dean leaving will hurt but I think we have a lot of young up and coming talent in the secondary.

The DL and improving secondary will have to bail out a rather inexperienced group of LB. Hopefully OP lives up to the hype.

OL should improve

KMart should transfer and Boobee/Shiv should be the combo unless a freshman monster comes onto the scene

Receivers should keep improving
We'll have two legitimate TEs

12 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I'll concede that all the non-seniors returning minus Slayton, Stidham, and Jamel Dean. The Slayton loss isn't too huge, Stidham leaving means a big ? for this offseason at one of the most important positions, Dean leaving will hurt but I think we have a lot of young up and coming talent in the secondary.

The DL and improving secondary will have to bail out a rather inexperienced group of LB. Hopefully OP lives up to the hype.

OL should improve

KMart should transfer and Boobee/Shiv should be the combo unless a freshman monster comes onto the scene

I thought Kmart looked good in the Purdue game. I know it’s purdue but he looked quicker than I’ve seen him 

1 minute ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

I thought Kmart looked good in the Purdue game. I know it’s purdue but he looked quicker than I’ve seen him 

He's another square peg for whom the perfect round hole hasn't yet been identified, IMO. 

He's got significant talent that would benefit a lot of offenses. And that's not specifically a complaint about Gus's offense. 

2019 Starters as of now:

Offense

WR: Williams           Slot WR: Johnson             LT: Wanogho LG: Harrell C; Brahms RG: Horton RT: Driscoll                 WR: Schwartz WR: Hill

QB: Bo Nix            TE/HB: Fromm

RB: Boobee

Defense

CB: Iggy               NB: Davis                                 Buck: Coe          DT: Brown             NT: Truesdell?        DE: Davidson            CB: Tutt

LB: Britt    LB: Pappoe

SS: Thomas                                                                                                       FS: Dinson

I think the following freshmen, not already listed above, push for significant playing time:

Derick Hall (Buck), DJ Williams (RB), Luke Deal (TE), Handy (DE), Keiondre Jones (OG), Jaylin Simpson (Slot CB), George Pickens (WR)

On 1/8/2019 at 1:51 PM, keesler said:

I really hope you're right - it would be awesome to see Nix execute an offense like Lawrence did last night against a pretty stout SEC defense.  We know Nix will get the attention and coaching he needs, we just need a scheme suited to his strengths.  

Exactly as long as Gus understands Bo’s strength vs Trevor’s. Trevor has good hieght and a strong arm. Bo’s strength is his mobility and his throws on the run. Bo will be your ideal RPO guy. Gus will have to trust him to make those decisions. RPOs never work with a pre-decided result. You have to let the QB actually make that decision real time not from the sideline. Then it’s truely RPO. What we hav seen lately from Gus is what “looks “ like and RPO but the QB has been given to make a predetermined choice. Bo has to get up to the speed of the game but while he is new  he will be surrounded by elite recievers and some very good running backs. Now if the OL can come together and Gus can do his job without falling back to old bad habits this season could go quite well. A lot of “if’s “ there lol.

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

OL should improve

Slayton leaving is bigger than most realize

40 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Slayton leaving is bigger than most realize

2nd-most receptions each of the last 3 seasons. And if he was on the field enough to catch all those balls in a Gus Malzahn offense, that means a lot of blocking experience is also walking out that door. Maybe it wouldn't matter so much if we weren't also losing the guy with the most receptions each of the last 3 seasons. Oh, and we lose our starting QB and return 16 career pass attempts combined from our QBs. In fact, Ryan Davis has more career pass attempts than all but Malik Willis.

Seems like it would be meaningful to have a little more experience and our best deep threat coming back.

2 hours ago, Zeek said:

2019 Starters as of now:

Offense

WR: Williams           Slot WR: Johnson             LT: Wanogho LG: Harrell C; Brahms RG: Horton RT: Driscoll                 WR: Schwartz WR: Hill

QB: Bo Nix    Jalen Hurts        TE/HB: Fromm

RB: Boobee

Defense

CB: Iggy               NB: Davis                                 Buck: Coe          DT: Brown             NT: Truesdell?        DE: Davidson            CB: Tutt

LB: Britt    LB: Pappoe

SS: Thomas                                                                                                       FS: Dinson

I think the following freshmen, not already listed above, push for significant playing time:

Derick Hall (Buck), DJ Williams (RB), Luke Deal (TE), Handy (DE), Keiondre Jones (OG), Jaylin Simpson (Slot CB), George Pickens (WR)

Alright now it looks good.

20 hours ago, cole256 said:

Clemson's qb is literally one of the best QB prospects ever....I'm sure we probably have a recruit every year who's dad was a coach before.....what does that really mean? Apparently Gus system is nothing like anybody's else since he doesn't want anybody talking to his qbs. The question is are we going to surround the QB with talent and give him a chance to be successful. After that I don't really know about fromm but the other QB's you mentioned Bo hasn't shown their talent level. 

There it is already.

”Bo was always a project!1”

30 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

2nd-most receptions each of the last 3 seasons. And if he was on the field enough to catch all those balls in a Gus Malzahn offense, that means a lot of blocking experience is also walking out that door. Maybe it wouldn't matter so much if we weren't also losing the guy with the most receptions each of the last 3 seasons. Oh, and we lose our starting QB and return 16 career pass attempts combined from our QBs. In fact, Ryan Davis has more career pass attempts than all but Malik Willis.

Seems like it would be meaningful to have a little more experience and our best deep threat coming back.

Not dismissing Slayton but I would still argue we have a rather deep and talented WR group. The qb battle might tear this forum apart. 

Maybe Bo can be our Trevor Lawrence lol

28 minutes ago, DAG said:

Alright now it looks good.

Yeah, my only question marks on defense is who will get the most reps next to Derrick Brown on the inside and if we can find a true pass rusher at the Buck.

I really believe in Pappoe.

Still think Boobee is better than most realize but the OL play just wasn't there to provide many holes.

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Yeah, my only question marks on defense is who will get the most reps next to Derrick Brown on the inside and if we can find a true pass rusher at the Buck.

I really believe in Pappoe.

Still think Boobee is better than most realize but the OL play just wasn't there to provide many holes.

I want to add that I hope Harold joiner would start over Fromm in that TE/HB role 

Just now, DAG said:

I want to add that I hope Harold joiner would start over Fromm in that TE/HB role 

Part of me wishes it wasn't a hybrid role and the HB and TE were legitimately different positions... I would love a traditional TE.

Archived