Feeling better about next year

thaitopher

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

And, in this hypothetical, who couldn't win a wide-open job in an offense that he is seemingly built for.

This spring should be really intense. If Gatewood can’t win tbe job, we can only hope that he will accept another position. With his idol being Cam and all, we will see. I still think he wins the job.

44 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

But there's also a very good chance that he surveys the landscape and sees a much safer and easier path to the NFL through primarily catching balls instead of throwing them.

Can’t always expect people to see the right choice when they are bull headed about another one that they may deem more satisfying or desirable. Maybe Gatewood is right. Hopefully he is proven right for sticking with QB in tbe end. I’m a fan of his regardless of what happens. 

11 hours ago, cole256 said:

I explained why, none of the wr's you've named has shown to be able to stretch a field yet. Until they do I don't know

I don’t know how much you watched the team this year but undoubtedly not a lot. Flash stretched the field quite often . Not many folks in the world much less the SEC that can stay with him.😂

7 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I don’t know how much you watched the team this year but undoubtedly not a lot. Flash stretched the field quite often . Not many folks in the world much less the SEC that can stay with him.😂

You post ANY video of him stretching the field VERTICALLY more than two times....people like you trip me out, if I haven't done anything else on this board, clearly I know what I'm talking about. I don't just make stuff up out of the air. Instead of you actually thinking about it you have to go with you haven't watched alot.....

I know in your brain being fast must equal to being a good wr but if that was actually the case the first place everybody would start recruiting is the Olympic trial track team. So yes I understand that we have the fastest guy in football on our team. What I'm saying is we don't know how his hands are, we don't know how well he can track a ball over his shoulder, we don't know his body control, we don't know his coordination, I do feel he's already shown he's tough, but can be hold on to a ball and get blasted,......because really no matter how fast we are talking, we're really just talking about a step or two separation so can hemake catches while people holding on to his collar, can he separate from a jam......

going through the same thing with the basketball team right now, some people like yourself can't comprehend that just because a person does awesome at a secondary role doesn't mean they can do well at a number 1 role. Going up against a teams number 3 a few times don't make you awesome. Running jet sweeps doesn't make you an awesome receiver......

But I don't have a problem discussing this, really I'm trying to help you understand....but don't do your little snide remarks because things are a little more deep than you are aware of. 

I was curious to see what it looked like on paper, so I made a projected Depth Chart just based on my opinions. A few different sets for O and D. On paper, it looks like we have a lot of POTENTIAL versatility with the roster. I'm running low on faith in Gus and Co that we can take full advantage of that versatility just based on the past, however, I still hold out faith like any other good fan. I made my own position names just to highlight the player's role in each set:

OFFENSE

20 Personnel, 'standard' set

QB Bo Nix Joey Gatewood Malik Willis  
RB Jatarvious Whitlow DJ Williams Shaun Shivers Kam Martin
HB Harold Joiner      
POSS Seth Williams George Pickens Shedrick Jackson  
SLOT Will Hastings Ja'Varrius Johnson Matthew Hill Sal Canella
JET Eli Stove Anthony Schwartz Jayshawn Sheffield  
LT Prince Tega Wanogho Austin Troxell    
LG Mike Horton Brodarious Hamm    
C Caleb Kim Nick Brahms    
RG Marquel Harrel Tashawn Manning Keiondre Jones  
RT Jack Driscoll Austin Troxell    

11 Personnel; Vertical-Zone Run 

TE Tyler Fromm J.S. Shenker Luke Deal  
POSS Seth Williams Shedrick Jackson Marquis McClain  
POSS George Pickens Ja'Varrius Johnson Anthony Schwartz Eli Stove
SLOT Will Hastings Matthew Hill Jayshawn Sheffield  
C Caleb Kim Nick Brahms    

10 Personnel; Spread Vertical/2 min. My personal favorite, lots of ways to attack

RB Jatarvious Whitlow Shaun Shivers DJ Williams Kam Martin
POSS Seth Williams Shedrick Jackson    
POSS George Pickens Marquis McClain    
DEEP Ja'Varrius Johnson Anthony Schwartz Eli Stove  
SLOT Will Hastings Matthew Hill Jayshawn Sheffield  
C Caleb Kim Nick Brahms    

21 Personnel; 'Thumper' set but with potential versatility depending on Joiner and Fromm's development (and playcalling creativity)

HB Harold Joiner      
TE Tyler Fromm J.S. Shenker Luke Deal  
POSS Seth Williams George Pickens Shedrick Jackson  
JET Eli Stove Anthony Schwartz Jayshawn Sheffield  
C Caleb Kim Nick Brahms    

DEFENSE

Standard & Sub LB 'Nickel' Package

DE Marlon Davidson Nick Coe BK Bryant Colby Wooden
DT Derrick Brown Tyrone Truesdale Alec Jackson  
DT Daquan Newkirk Coynis Miller    
BUCK BK Bryant TD Moultry Richard Jibunor Derrick Hall
SLB Owen Pappoe Zackoby McClain    
LB KJ Britt Michael Harris    
WLB Chandler Wooten Josh Marsh    
CB Noah Iggy Cam'Ron Kelly    
FS Jeremiah Dinson Jamien Sherwood    
SS Daniel Thomas Smoke Monday    
CB Christian Tutt Roger McCreary Traivon Leonard  
NB Javaris Davis Jordyn Peters Zion Puckett  

Sub & 'Dime' Package

DE BK Bryant Colby Wooden  
DT Nick Coe Derrick Brown  
DT Marlon Davidson Daquan Newkirk  
BUCK TD Moultry Richard Jibunor Derrick Hall
LB Owen Pappoe    
LB KJ Britt    
CB Noah Iggy Cam'Ron Kelly  
FS Jeremiah Dinson Jamien Sherwood  
SS Daniel Thomas Smoke Monday  
CB Roger McCreary    
NB Javaris Davis Jordyn Peters  
DB Christian Tutt Zion Puckett  

To me the roster does look good and the prospects are exciting. Like every year and every team the difference will be up to coaching, especially with the key positions of OL, QB and LB

*sorry it's such a long post*

You left out Malik Miller on that depth chart.  Also something tells me Kam Martin will emerge as RB 1 next season purely off the way he was used in the bowl game.  If Auburn is beating folks by 40 at halftime I’m cool with that but I agree Whitlow is the better all around back.  Also too early to put DJ ahead of anyone on the depth chart.  Rb is a spot where Auburn doesn’t have a depth problem.  2016 UGA taught Gus you can never have enough.

44 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Roster looks good. Need Josh Gatewood at QB1 though. 

Josh Gatewood plays for the University of Auburn! LOL 

2 hours ago, theallseeingfan said:

I was curious to see what it looked like on paper, so I made a projected Depth Chart just based on my opinions.

Your opinions, huh? You'd best hope Wade Christopher doesn't decide to read your mind.

Of course, Wade Christopher doesn't appear on depth charts. Depth charts appear under Wade Christopher. And only when Wade Christopher says so. 

31 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Your opinions, huh? You'd best hope Wade Christopher doesn't decide to read your mind.

Of course, Wade Christopher doesn't appear on depth charts. Depth charts appear under Wade Christopher. And only when Wade Christopher says so. 

My last name is Christopher! Wondering if we’re kin? No yellow font on my phone so I edited in.

4 minutes ago, toddc said:

My last name is Christopher! Wondering if we’re kin? No yellow font on my phone so I edited in.

If Wade Christopher says you are kin you will be, same as the rest if us. Other than that, sorry no. 

On 1/10/2019 at 10:55 AM, bigbird said:

If we open things up...

Really don't have a choice. I think we qould have opened it up last season but or oline was our Achilles heal.

10 hours ago, cole256 said:

You post ANY video of him stretching the field VERTICALLY more than two times....people like you trip me out, if I haven't done anything else on this board, clearly I know what I'm talking about. I don't just make stuff up out of the air. Instead of you actually thinking about it you have to go with you haven't watched alot.....

I know in your brain being fast must equal to being a good wr but if that was actually the case the first place everybody would start recruiting is the Olympic trial track team. So yes I understand that we have the fastest guy in football on our team. What I'm saying is we don't know how his hands are, we don't know how well he can track a ball over his shoulder, we don't know his body control, we don't know his coordination, I do feel he's already shown he's tough, but can be hold on to a ball and get blasted,......because really no matter how fast we are talking, we're really just talking about a step or two separation so can hemake catches while people holding on to his collar, can he separate from a jam......

going through the same thing with the basketball team right now, some people like yourself can't comprehend that just because a person does awesome at a secondary role doesn't mean they can do well at a number 1 role. Going up against a teams number 3 a few times don't make you awesome. Running jet sweeps doesn't make you an awesome receiver......

But I don't have a problem discussing this, really I'm trying to help you understand....but don't do your little snide remarks because things are a little more deep than you are aware of. 

Wow you need to get back on your meds there bud. You are clearly the one that needs some help. I’m not going to spend time trying to convince you if anything. I just spoke facts. I know that’s not what you want to hear so why don’t you just mute my remarks and I will yours and we won’t waste others time. 

On 1/9/2019 at 12:51 PM, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Exactly as long as Gus understands Bo’s strength vs Trevor’s. Trevor has good hieght and a strong arm. Bo’s strength is his mobility and his throws on the run. Bo will be your ideal RPO guy. Gus will have to trust him to make those decisions. RPOs never work with a pre-decided result. You have to let the QB actually make that decision real time not from the sideline. Then it’s truely RPO. What we hav seen lately from Gus is what “looks “ like and RPO but the QB has been given to make a predetermined choice. Bo has to get up to the speed of the game but while he is new  he will be surrounded by elite recievers and some very good running backs. Now if the OL can come together and Gus can do his job without falling back to old bad habits this season could go quite well. A lot of “if’s “ there lol.

Don't hold your breath. 

On 1/9/2019 at 2:17 PM, Zeek said:

Maybe Bo can be our Trevor Lawrence lol

Man, don't do this even in jest. It can only be bad.

On 1/9/2019 at 3:35 PM, cole256 said:

When I say Slayton will be hard to replace it's more than just his numbers. Being able to consistently take the top off a defense isn't something everybody can do and it affects the ENTIRE offense. If we don't have someone who can do that everybody's job on offense becomes harder. No matter how much many dislike Slayton nobody else on this team was better than him at doing that. He had size and jumping ability to go with his elite speed. Even those throws that stidham couldn't get right during the season that were missed still controlled what defenses did against us. And it's the ONLY way to beat bammer. You must have a threat on the outside, have to see the bigger picture. 

You said this upon Sammie Coates' departure years ago and you were right. I do think our WR Room has vastly improved from that time but we will just have to see. You can never tell what our HC is going to do.

On 1/9/2019 at 3:48 PM, McLoofus said:

Yeah. Of course, we know that Gus doesn't like his guys to get distracted by learning how to do more than one thing. Maybe now that will be Schwartz's thing and somebody else like Hill can do Schwartz's previous thing. 

Out of reax but I laughed at this. Then cried.

On 1/10/2019 at 10:51 AM, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I like Slayton and wish him the best but Seth, Pickens and Flash will more than cover that slot. Just imagine the fear it will put in defenses to have Seth and George on the outside and Flash in the slot. A nightmare for sure for a defense.

I love the optimism but we will never be a nightmare to face via aerial attack with Gus at the helm. He just does not know how to operate a truly dangerous passing attack. Even with the deepest and most talented stable of WRs AU has had in possibly ever. At least in my lifetime.

1 hour ago, Tiger said:
   On 1/9/2019 at 12:51 PM,  Eagle Eye 7 said: 

Exactly as long as Gus understands Bo’s strength vs Trevor’s. Trevor has good hieght and a strong arm. Bo’s strength is his mobility and his throws on the run. Bo will be your ideal RPO guy. Gus will have to trust him to make those decisions. RPOs never work with a pre-decided result. You have to let the QB actually make that decision real time not from the sideline. Then it’s truely RPO. What we hav seen lately from Gus is what “looks “ like and RPO but the QB has been given to make a predetermined choice. Bo has to get up to the speed of the game but while he is new  he will be surrounded by elite recievers and some very good running backs. Now if the OL can come together and Gus can do his job without falling back to old bad habits this season could go quite well. A lot of “if’s “ there lol.

Don't hold your breath. 

On 1/9/2019 at 2:17 PM,  Zeek said: 

Maybe Bo can be our Trevor Lawrence lol

Man, don't do this even in jest. It can only be bad.

On 1/9/2019 at 3:35 PM,  cole256 said: 

When I say Slayton will be hard to replace it's more than just his numbers. Being able to consistently take the top off a defense isn't something everybody can do and it affects the ENTIRE offense. If we don't have someone who can do that everybody's job on offense becomes harder. No matter how much many dislike Slayton nobody else on this team was better than him at doing that. He had size and jumping ability to go with his elite speed. Even those throws that stidham couldn't get right during the season that were missed still controlled what defenses did against us. And it's the ONLY way to beat bammer. You must have a threat on the outside, have to see the bigger picture. 

You said this upon Sammie Coates' departure years ago and you were right. I do think our WR Room has vastly improved from that time but we will just have to see. You can never tell what our HC is going to do.

On 1/9/2019 at 3:48 PM,  McLoofus said: 

Yeah. Of course, we know that Gus doesn't like his guys to get distracted by learning how to do more than one thing. Maybe now that will be Schwartz's thing and somebody else like Hill can do Schwartz's previous thing. 

Out of reax but I laughed at this. Then cried.

On 1/10/2019 at 10:51 AM,  Eagle Eye 7 said: 

I like Slayton and wish him the best but Seth, Pickens and Flash will more than cover that slot. Just imagine the fear it will put in defenses to have Seth and George on the outside and Flash in the slot. A nightmare for sure for a defense.

I love the optimism but we will never be a nightmare to face via aerial attack with Gus at the helm. He just does not know how to operate a truly dangerous passing attack. Even with the deepest and most talented stable of WRs AU has had in possibly ever. At least in my lifetime.

raw.gif

Why is it every year we go through this about how we can’t teplace a certain player and then sure enough the next year someone comes in and does a fine job. We have for the past several years been constant between # 4 and #12 out of 120+ teams in recruiting D1. This is a pretty solid evidence that we are recruiting the same equivalent talent each year so yes we should be able to replace them. Will freshmen be as good as seniors ? Probably not but that senior was a freshman at one point to. We recruited probably the top WR class last year according to most sites. I’m somewhat baffled by the constant response that we can’t replace a certain player. That pretty much the process in college football. Players come in and then are replaced by younger players down the road. It really isn’t unique. Every team in the country does it.

1 hour ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Wow you need to get back on your meds there bud. You are clearly the one that needs some help. I’m not going to spend time trying to convince you if anything. I just spoke facts. I know that’s not what you want to hear so why don’t you just mute my remarks and I will yours and we won’t waste others time. 

Typical.....did I tell you, you need help? You keep trying to go with insults because in actuality you don't have any facts. Nothing you are writing is facts. And nah I don't mute people that's for sissies. I'll state my opinion and then back it up. You should try it. 

8 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Why is it every year we go through this about how we can’t teplace a certain player and then sure enough the next year someone comes in and does a fine job. We have for the past several years been constant between # 4 and #12 out of 120+ teams in recruiting D1. This is a pretty solid evidence that we are recruiting the same equivalent talent each year so yes we should be able to replace them. Will freshmen be as good as seniors ? Probably not but that senior was a freshman at one point to. We recruited probably the top WR class last year according to most sites. I’m somewhat baffled by the constant response that we can’t replace a certain player. That pretty much the process in college football. Players come in and then are replaced by younger players down the road. It really isn’t unique. Every team in the country does it.

Because it's not true. Take this particular subject, when Coates left the people who couldn't see things like yourself simply said we'll replace Coates no problem, Louis was fast and we had good freshmen coming in...but it wasn't replaced, the year after that it wasn't either then the worst thing happened. Sean white wasn't the best throwing down field and we didn't have a wr that was great at creating separation consistently to present a threat. So then defenses decided to play us man and right in our face and now the field is shortened and the ENTIRE offense sucked.

The year after that we get a guy who can throw deep and Slayton is starting and you have a guy with elite speed and who can go up and get the ball and everybody backed up again and things opened up because teams had to respect it.

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

You said this upon Sammie Coates' departure years ago and you were right. I do think our WR Room has vastly improved from that time but we will just have to see.

I know. It's funny how people will erase certain stuff out of their mind and be super detailed remembering other things. I'm hoping for the best though, I feel they all showed great qualities individually but I don't know if any one of them possess it all in one player

4 hours ago, toddc said:

You any kin to Fred?

22 minutes ago, kd4au said:

You any kin to Fred?

Of the plumbing business? 

On 1/9/2019 at 8:24 PM, Rednilla said:

I just feel like things are lining up too well for Bo for him not to come in and be the four year starter type that goes down in the AU record books, kind of like Stan White was. 

If he's that good, he won't be here for 4 years.

2 hours ago, kd4au said:

You any kin to Fred?

Yes

Archived