Feeling better about next year

thaitopher

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I hope you didn't interpret my comment as meaning that experience is required for an individual player to produce.

Yep....lots of freshmen do well in lots of positions on a football team but QB is something different IMO.....there is a leadership component involved that means that juniors and senior must trust and respect that the QB will do the right thing at the right time.  

Lots is made on this site about Gus and "trust" but it's rare if ever that anyone suggest that the entire team has to trust the QB....and look to him as the "team leader" ...even if he is only 18 years old.   There is a maturity that goes beyond age that has to be exhibited.   But maturity does not automatically come with age ..nor does acceptance....or respect.  

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, cole256 said:

He did pretty good but really he had about 500 yards...because he plays for us we're making it incredible but it's actually ok...there's something in the tank there. We have something we may be able to work with

very true.  considering how inept our offense was/felt like  all year.   Lets hope coaches can take advantage of his abilitys better than NCM 

9 hours ago, ChltteTiger said:

The needle on "GUs is good or bad" shifts with every single development (season record, performance in rivalry games, Purdue blowout etc). So we should not have opinions on how Gus is performing for the $41 million he is making? Ooookkkk 

Keep on beating that dead horse if you want; I’ll continue to feel better about next season. 

On 1/8/2019 at 4:23 PM, cole256 said:

Clemson's qb is literally one of the best QB prospects ever....I'm sure we probably have a recruit every year who's dad was a coach before.....what does that really mean? Apparently Gus system is nothing like anybody's else since he doesn't want anybody talking to his qbs. The question is are we going to surround the QB with talent and give him a chance to be successful. After that I don't really know about fromm but the other QB's you mentioned Bo hasn't shown their talent level. 

How many quarterback recruits do we get who are the son of a former college offensive coordinator? Not just a high school coach, not even just a two time high school state champion high school head coach, but somebody who has done it at the next level before? Because that's what Bo Nix is. His father isn't some schmuck who volunteered at the local middle school, he's got legitimate coaching ties.

What does it mean? It means we get a kid who has been as prepared for the next level as he possibly can be. The same kid who apparently was the alpha at the Under Armour High School All America Game.

Don't worry, though, I'm sure you'll come around.

5 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

I think Hastings and Stove can make up for Slayton’s three catches and 50 yards per game. 

I also expect to see more opportunities for Schwartz and SW. 

And then there is also Pickens. 

And my man crush Mathew Hill!

12 hours ago, tbone4jc said:

Bo Nix is a very good HS qb. I agree he should be given a chance but let the chips falk where they may without lofty expectations please

Well, I think Gatewood is a wild card. He could easily win the job, especially if Gus is wanting to run his 2010 offense. I just feel like things are lining up too well for Bo for him not to come in and be the four year starter type that goes down in the AU record books, kind of like Stan White was. But of course, we DO need a capable backup, so Gatewood, Willis, and Sandberg have to be prepared, too...though if he loses out on the starting job, Gatewood may switch positions. He could be outstanding as a WR/Wildcat QB, giving us a player on the field who could line up at QB without having to substitute a special package in, which always gives the defense the chance to sub and react.

21 hours ago, cole256 said:

Slayton leaving is bigger than most realize

I like Slayton and wish him the best but Seth, Pickens and Flash will more than cover that slot. Just imagine the fear it will put in defenses to have Seth and George on the outside and Flash in the slot. A nightmare for sure for a defense.

13 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Well, I think Gatewood is a wild card. He could easily win the job, especially if Gus is wanting to run his 2010 offense. I just feel like things are lining up too well for Bo for him not to come in and be the four year starter type that goes down in the AU record books, kind of like Stan White was. But of course, we DO need a capable backup, so Gatewood, Willis, and Sandberg have to be prepared, too...though if he loses out on the starting job, Gatewood may switch positions. He could be outstanding as a WR/Wildcat QB, giving us a player on the field who could line up at QB without having to substitute a special package in, which always gives the defense the chance to sub and react.

Gatewood or Willis both have a shot at starting the year. I think Bo is ready wait his turn if necessary but also will be ready to go if needed. I just hope Gus goes into spring with honest intentions to allow the best to rise up and then to make his choice based on the outcome and not by favoritism.

3 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I like Slayton and wish him the best but Seth, Pickens and Flash will more than cover that slot. Just imagine the fear it will put in defenses to have Seth and George on the outside and Flash in the slot. A nightmare for sure for a defense.

If we open things up...

Just now, bigbird said:

If we open things up...

Ding ding ding we have a winner. You nailed it. Gus has to use his best weapons. Quit going in with a notion that we “must” run the football. 

6 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I explained why, none of the wr's you've named has shown to be able to stretch a field yet. Until they do I don't know

13 hours ago, Rednilla said:

How many quarterback recruits do we get who are the son of a former college offensive coordinator? Not just a high school coach, not even just a two time high school state champion high school head coach, but somebody who has done it at the next level before? Because that's what Bo Nix is. His father isn't some schmuck who volunteered at the local middle school, he's got legitimate coaching ties.

What does it mean? It means we get a kid who has been as prepared for the next level as he possibly can be. The same kid who apparently was the alpha at the Under Armour High School All America Game.

Don't worry, though, I'm sure you'll come around.

He was the alpha male in practices he definitely wasn't the actual game. The actual game should actually show you that he's going to have a long way to go. Not saying he doesn't get there but it's not like he's a prospect that nobody has seen before.....I'm just trying to temper the unreal expectations to prevent the meltdown.....we'll see though

40 minutes ago, cole256 said:

He was the alpha male in practices he definitely wasn't the actual game. The actual game should actually show you that he's going to have a long way to go. Not saying he doesn't get there but it's not like he's a prospect that nobody has seen before.....I'm just trying to temper the unreal expectations to prevent the meltdown.....we'll see though

Awesome.  Can't wait for word he's flying around practices and a Heisman contender...   

58 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Does JF3 have any eligibility left?

Actually o find it interesting that he's bouncing around the NFL here and there.....we couldn't think of a way to use him though. 

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Actually o find it interesting that he's bouncing around the NFL here and there.....we couldn't think of a way to use him though. 

Almost like elite athleticism matters to the NFL even in the absence of elite "craft".

(Ducks, runs)

15 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You can't tell me he couldn't have done what Schwartz did this year. Problem is he basically wanted QB or nothing

15 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Maybe you're right Red, do you honestly see Gatewood/Willis hanging around to be a backup to a 4 yr starter type guy?

17 hours ago, rophle said:

Keep on beating that dead horse if you want; I’ll continue to feel better about next season. 

Agree that there is much more room for optimism now than two weeks ago. @McLoofus said it in another thread very well. Paraphrasing here but he said basically that when Gus deserved criticism he would get it but that Gus's victories the past couple of weeks holding this team and recruiting together in the face of adversity deserves to be acknowledged. It is time to put the stick down. 

1 hour ago, keesler said:

Maybe you're right Red, do you honestly see Gatewood/Willis hanging around to be a backup to a 4 yr starter type guy?

There's been a lot of talk of moving Gatewood to another position, and he seems like the kind of guy who might be receptive to it.

Willis wasn't very highly recruited to begin with- he came in as a 3* ATH- so he might have trouble transferring to a better situation if he wants to play QB. What I'm wondering is: why aren't we talking about moving this 6'1-6'2, 200 lb gazelle to *WR??

Not that I'm placing bets on who wins QB1, or QB2 for that matter. We have 4 candidates- poor man's versions of Cam, Nick, Chris Weinke and Trevor Lawrence, hell lets have fun with it- who are dead even as far as I know. 

*Edit. Sorry, WR, DB, KR... somewhere that would use his athleticism

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

There's been a lot of talk of moving Gatewood to another position, and he seems like the kind of guy who might be receptive to it.

Based on what? 

“I’ve been seeing people say ‘oh he’s just an athlete’,” Gatewood said following the 52-45 loss to Cartersville High School in its season opener on ESPN.com on Aug. 26. “I’m not an athlete but I’m an athlete at the quarterback position. I hope people saw that.”

Not to mention his “I was built for this” tweet  after the bowl game. 

We can only hope for the best outcome but if that doesn’t include Gatewood starting at QB,     I think he will be gone. 

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Based on what? 

“I’ve been seeing people say ‘oh he’s just an athlete’,” Gatewood said following the 52-45 loss to Cartersville High School in its season opener on ESPN.com on Aug. 26. “I’m not an athlete but I’m an athlete at the quarterback position. I hope people saw that.”

Not to mention his “I was built for this” tweet  after the bowl game. 

We can only hope for the best outcome but if that doesn’t include Gatewood starting at QB,     I think he will be gone. 

That ^^ is kinda why I asked the question in my earlier post.  JG may be fine changing positions, but if he is set on the QB position he say's he was built for, then I'm not sure he'd be willing to play backup to a 4yr starter >> Bo Nix. 

I really don't know a damn thing about what Gatewood/Willis/Sandburg can do and I only saw Bo Nix in live action in a couple of HS playoff games.  So I'm not predicting anything for the '19 season.

DB, Prince and others coming back is huge!  However, as I look at a schedule that includes all of the SECWest, uga, UF, and Oregon, I cannot “feel better about next season” until we have a QB that I (and more importantly Gus) have confidence in.  

18 minutes ago, keesler said:

That ^^ is kinda why I asked the question in my earlier post.  JG may be fine changing positions, but if he is set on the QB position he say's he was built for, then I'm not sure he'd be willing to play backup to a 4yr starter >> Bo Nix. 

I really don't know a damn thing about what Gatewood/Willis/Sandburg can do and I only saw Bo Nix in live action in a couple of HS playoff games.  So I'm not predicting anything for the '19 season.

I don't read that much into those comments or tweets. Kids (and coaches) say stuff all the time. He may even truly think that at the moment. 

Harold Joiner was RB or bust for his entire recruiting cycle until he couldn't get a decent offer as strictly a running back. So he signed with us as something else. To his credit, he might end up at RB after all. 

Joey signed with us early and was a rah-rah recruiter for us. He's a good kid and a team guy as far as anyone can tell. And he was also receptive to splitting time in high school. Which also means that whichever team might sign this guy away from us as a QB would be getting a guy who hasn't played the position full time for at least 2 years now. And, in this hypothetical, who couldn't win a wide-open job in an offense that he is seemingly built for. Now, that might not mean anything other than Nix is even better than we hoped. There might be teams out there still salivating over Joey. But there's also a very good chance that he surveys the landscape and sees a much safer and easier path to the NFL through primarily catching balls instead of throwing them.

Archived