A warning about SEC Play

tigerbrotha12

8 hours ago, cole256 said:

You're almost there, this team would improve immediately if Brown came off the bench

I agree 100%.  I've never felt like Brown was the caliber shooting guard that he seems to get credit for.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kentucky beat Vandy 56-47.....and that's not a football score …...watched the game off and on...Vandy lead early on but could not hold it...…..probably the lowest scoring game of the year in the SEC

12 hours ago, AU64 said:

Kentucky beat Vandy 56-47.....and that's not a football score …...watched the game off and on...Vandy lead early on but could not hold it...…..probably the lowest scoring game of the year in the SEC

Was it good defense or sloppy play what you saw?

Every sec game is gonna be a grind but I like that AU probably has it’s easiest road games coming up. A&M and USC are probably the two worst teams in the conference. A struggling UK game at home sandwiched in between. AU should be favored in all those and hopefully can get a full steam of confidence going

18 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Every sec game is gonna be a grind but I like that AU probably has it’s easiest road games coming up. A&M and USC are probably the two worst teams in the conference. A struggling UK game at home sandwiched in between. AU should be favored in all those and hopefully can get a full steam of confidence going

From what I have seen the SEC is relatively flat except UT. Anyone can beat anyone, anywhere.  And i don’t see any sec team outside UT in the second weekend of the tournament. 

On 1/10/2019 at 6:23 PM, KolchakAU85 said:

Austin Wiley's build reminds me of Bobby Lee Hurt (Alabama player from long ago), except he doesn't shoot near as well as Hurt did.

'Small change'

On 1/13/2019 at 10:57 AM, Gene Loblaw said:

I was poo-poo'd for saying that just before conference play began. 

Not sure if it was from overestimating Auburn or underestimating the conference, but I think it's apparent to everyone now.

Maybe here i will get ridiculed for saying this but i think we are still just a good team.  I remember when experts thought we had a chance to compete with the ACC and the best.  It is apparent now we are not there yet.  Either other teams have gotten better and exposed us or we have regressed because of lack of team chemistry or some other factors.  Or maybe it was a mirage to began with?  But our guard play is not good enough to get us very far in either tournament to be honest.  And down low it is the same. The inconsistency of this team right now is a mystery in some areas.  I notice now that we can't even press like we did at the 1st of the year as effectively...  I will continue here in my pity party and say we finish 3rd or 4th in the SEC  unless  we can figure things out offensively and get better  chemistry.

3 hours ago, lost said:

Maybe here i will get ridiculed for saying this but i think we are still just a good team.  I remember when experts thought we had a chance to compete with the ACC and the best.  It is apparent now we are not there yet.  Either other teams have gotten better and exposed us or we have regressed because of lack of team chemistry or some other factors.  Or maybe it was a mirage to began with?  But our guard play is not good enough to get us very far in either tournament to be honest.  And down low it is the same. The inconsistency of this team right now is a mystery in some areas.  I notice now that we can't even press like we did at the 1st of the year as effectively...  I will continue here in my pity party and say we finish 3rd or 4th in the SEC  unless  we can figure things out offensively and get better  chemistry.

That's ok as long as we are peaking at the right time. I personally had said prior to the year that I would take a lower finish in SEC finish if it means we are able to work through our deficiencies and make it to the 2nd weekend of the NCAA Tourney. The conference doesn't have any real gimme games so everyone except maybe UT will likely have a handful of Ls. It's true though, we don't look in sync right now overall. If we can get over that hump we can improve on our tourney showing last season.

7 hours ago, lost said:

The thUGA game gave me some hope

Really good discussion in this thread. I was hoping the team would build on last years success and just crush people. What I have seen has been inconsistency. Don't get me wrong, I think we are a tournament team. Just not a Top team. I think we need our big guys to be more physical, and score the basket aggressively when they get the ball. Seems like the only inside scoring is on ally-oup passes. I think our guards should drive the basket more and the team should be taking less 3 point shots.

Last night we beat what looks like a pretty bad A&M team. Winning by 19 away from home is still a pretty good win. I disagree with some posters, on our next few games. USCe is obviously not one of the weakest teams in the conference. They have started SEC play going 4-0. They played us very tough last year and beat us in a game. We don't know what we are going to get Saturday with KY. They always have wicked talent, but they are very young. I hope we see no serious injuries this year and we getting stronger as the year goes on. Last year, we had the chemistry, but were beat up and tired by tournament time. War Eagle!

Can't wait for the Kentucky game. Glad we have them at home! I personally love our less talented harder working guys beating their NBA first rounders

Granted the last two games were against lesser teams, I am encouraged by the team play.  

Should that continue, we can go a long way.

Next step is getting Okeke to attack the basket.  Then we will go a really long way.

20 hours ago, gravejd said:

Can't wait for the Kentucky game. Glad we have them at home! I personally love our less talented harder working guys beating their NBA first rounders

This is not the Kentucky if a few years ago...2nd or third best team in the SEC now......so is a game we can win ....and IMO.  need to win.   Not  a "must win" but very important. 

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

This is not the Kentucky if a few years ago...2nd or third best team in the SEC now......so is a game we can win ....and IMO.  need to win.   Not  a "must win" but very important. 

Looks like the usual Kentucky team to me. 

27 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I agree.  

A bunch of one and done mercenaries who will only get better as the season rolls on.

Kentucky has been starting to come on. And they're ranked higher than us. And they will have an overwhelming size advantage. But I know it's going to be a frenzy in the arena and I hope our guys can feed off of that

I'm in Auburn this weekend.  Can't pay $130 for seats.

Any organized gathering place to watch the game you'd recommend?

If not, I'll look for a local watering hole.

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

maybe....I've watched them play parts of several game.....they have balanced scoring so everyone has to play defense....but they looked beatable ….JMO...

Was listening to a discussion on xm84 about this game. One interesting thing that was said was that Macklemore should start as he would be better against the type of game Kentucky has. Also brought up a couple of stats I was unaware of, like AU is One of the best in the nation on offensive boards but one of the worst on defensive boards (he thinks that is where KY will go after them). Also said AU one of the highest in points off of steals/turnovers. He predicted a very close game, especially given home court for Auburn. 

18 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

Was listening to a discussion on xm84 about this game. One interesting thing that was said was that Macklemore should start as he would be better against the type of game Kentucky has. Also brought up a couple of stats I was unaware of, like AU is One of the best in the nation on offensive boards but one of the worst on defensive boards (he thinks that is where KY will go after them). Also said AU one of the highest in points off of steals/turnovers. He predicted a very close game, especially given home court for Auburn. 

I'm not surprised about the stats you mention, either me or bird or maybe au64 spoke about the rebounding. I said my theory is because of long rebounds off jump shots is the reason we don't have more traditional rebounding numbers

Archived