Prince Tega returning

GwillMac6

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

where are all the posters who said gus couldnt convince anyone to stay? 

Totally agree on one hand . On another he didn’t have the year in 2018 that screamed go pro. Just my opinion. Obviously that had more to do with him staying vs Gus rerecruiting 

3 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

It's almost like signing day all over again!

Exactly.  We all expected him to go, so it's like a huge gift that he's staying. 

It's like we just added an already-mature 5-star D lineman..

37 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

where are all the posters who said gus couldnt convince anyone to stay? 

Moi moi. Credit where credit is due.

I am starting to think that a good season is possible next year. Here's the dilemma for me: I think we NEED NEED NEED (can't say NEED enough, lol) a big splash OL hire. Because all our starters next year will likely be seniors. Meaning that in 2020...

But. The schedule next year...Alabama and Georgia are obvious, LSU is in BR so yeah, and expectations for Oregon, TAMU and Florida will be THROUGH THE ROOF. So there's a very good possibility a change would be warranted. But if we were to make a big splash OL hire, should we commit to him?

The best case scenario would be to make this hypothetical big time OL hire and win 10+ games in 2019, because that would mean A: a turnaround for our moribund OL recruiting, and B: mean we wouldn't need to make a change, which in turn means we get through more years in CGM's contract.

What concerns me, is what if EITHER:

Scenario A: We keep Grimes, and have a good enough season for Gus to stay for 2020.

OR:

Scenario B: We make a big splash OL hire, but the schedule keeps us from having a more than "average" season.

In Scenario A, not only do we lose all our OL starters, but we also still have Grimes at OL coach, which means our OL recruiting stays in the toilet, AND we would be obligated to give CGM another year.

In Scenario B, a change at the head coaching position itself would be justified, but do we really force hypothetical new big time OL coach to find another job? To be able to get the hire we would need to turn around recruiting, methinks he would want some long term commitment.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basically, I think it's a very possible scenario that we could have a good year in 2019, have a bad year in 2020 and make a coaching change after that. But thinking about that possibility right now...it just doesn't feel very good to think of having to fire him anyway the year after.

Thoughts? Very complicated dilemma we may soon find ourselves in...if we're not in one already.

Turning out to be a good week first Brown now Tega. Somebody doing work keeping those guy's.:wareagle:

Damn I have NEVER seen Saban wave the white flag before like he is doing now. Dabo MADE HIS ASS QUIT!!!!! hahaha

2 hours ago, kd4au said:

Turning out to be a good week first Brown now Tega. Somebody doing work keeping those guy's.:wareagle:

Nick Coe and Kam Martin kicked it all off too

I know much has been said about Gus on this board and by myself included. That being said the fact that Gus is banking on himself and these guys coming back for their senior season should be very telling. If we get the QB play needed next year we will make a run. 

3 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Don't know who is talking to these kids but whoever is, is doing a great job. All who are back minus Brown, had no business jumping to the NFL. 

I think it gets easier when you can point to last night (metaphorically) and say "look what happens when everyone comes back!"

12 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

I think it gets easier when you can point to last night (metaphorically) and say "look what happens when everyone comes back!"

Think it was more of a........................... leave and you are not going to be drafted. Come back, preform and get drafted. These decision were made before the game last night. 

3 hours ago, JMassie11 said:

If we get the QB play needed next year we will make a run. 

Don’t we say this every year?  We haven’t had a year, save the 2014 season, that we knew what to expect out of the QB position.  It does get old.

5 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Don’t we say this every year?  We haven’t had a year, save the 2014 season, that we knew what to expect out of the QB position.  It does get old.

Have to add this past year but you are right. Need to finally get a real QB coach and let him coach the QB. Gus's are not coached well at all. 

3 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Have to add this past year but you are right. Need to finally get a real QB coach and let him coach the QB. Gus's are not coached well at all. 

I will be interested in how Dillingham can coach as his main responsibility will be the QB position, not play calling.  I’m hoping Dillingham will be on the sidelines coaching up the young and inexperienced QBs, but I don’t think that is the plan.  Looking forward to your analysis of his coaching as the spring and fall practices unfold.

6 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I believe Dilly will be that...if allowed

10 hours ago, cole256 said:

Don't know what we paid but kudos to whoever talked him into doing this

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Don't know who is talking to these kids but whoever is, is doing a great job. All who are back minus Brown, had no business jumping to the NFL. 

@bigbird is that you?

Archived