Why I chose my LGBTQ daughter over the Evangelical Church

DKW 86

I choose to love. 

I dont have to be forced to celebrate someone's choices that defy logic. But I choose to support and love those that are not hetero. If either of my two came out to me, they would be loved as before and protected like I was ravenous wolf.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

I choose to love. 

I dont have to be forced to celebrate someone's choices that defy logic. But I choose to support and love those that are not hetero. If eiother of my two came out to me, they would be loved as before and protected like I was ravenous wolf.

Well said.  If my children were lgbtq my main concerns would center on the difficulties and ostracism they could potentially face.  As a parent it is my responsibility to help them navigate the challenges of the world until they can competently do so on their own, until they are fully realized, capable individuals.  I would be ashamed to abdicate such a responsibility.

Another thought from the video, take it or leave it.  We've got one life, expecting a person to be miserable, living a life to suit other's expectations while denying something as fundamental to happiness as who they love, is awful.  

12 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

I choose to love. 

I dont have to be forced to celebrate someone's choices that defy logic. But I choose to support and love those that are not hetero. If eiother of my two came out to me, they would be loved as before and protected like I was ravenous wolf.

I guess everyone's experience is different with regards to the evangelical church depending on what local body they belong to, but I don't see this as an either/or proposition.  

Sad and tragic, but she made a wrong decision by leaving her church. We have a family member that has gone into the homosexual lifestyle.  It has devastated her parents. They love and support her in many ways ,including finances at times,  but have made it clear they do not  condone her lifestyle and her "partner" is not welcomed in their home. She does live a few hours away from them, so her visits are not  frequent although they do visit her while in her area.

So, the daughter is more at peace with God since she started dating women?  Sad.

So, no one is going to Hell? Sad and not true.

What does God ask of us? Turn from your sins and trust in me as your Savior. Leave your life of sin and follow me.

It is not from homosexual to straight, but rather from lost to being born again.

9 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

........"It is not from homosexual to straight, but rather from lost to being born again."

Presumably, the required condition for a homosexual to be saved is celibacy?

51 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

According to who?  There are many people on this Earth, with many different beliefs and many different sacred doctrines upon which those beliefs are founded.  These religious proclamations of eternal damnation emanating from the social rules in writings of people 3400 years ago don't strike me so much as determinable truth.

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

Presumably, the required condition for a homosexual to be saved is celibacy?

Homer, that would my personal opinion, but chapters 6 and 7  of 1st Corinthians have some good directions on celibacy.

9 minutes ago, HVAU said:

According to who?  There are many people on this Earth, with many different beliefs and many different sacred doctrines upon which those beliefs are founded.  These religious proclamations of eternal damnation emanating from the social rules in writings of people 3400 years ago don't strike me so much as determinable truth.

The Bible. Besides the Old Testament,  in the teachings of Jesus and his Disciples.

2 hours ago, PUB78 said:

The Bible. Besides the Old Testament,  in the teachings of Jesus and his Disciples.

Why should that carry anymore weight than the Koran, Upianishads, Avesta, Bhagavad Gitas, the Dao of Pooh, etc.?

My concept of God is probably a lot like yours, a Bible based concept.  However, it takes more than believing something to make it true.  Now if you have something concrete illustrating the existence of Hell I'd be happy to examine it with you.

Because the Bible is the inspired word of God and Jesus is his son. Numerous times Christ warned of hell and how to avoid it and eternal separation from God.

3 hours ago, PUB78 said:

Homer, that would my personal opinion, but chapters 6 and 7  of 1st Corinthians have some good directions on celibacy.

Can I simply assume they comply with  - if not directly inform - your "personal opinion"? 

9 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

Because the Bible is the inspired word of God and Jesus is his son. Numerous times Christ warned of hell and how to avoid it and eternal separation from God.

While the snake eating it's tail approach to a debate is enticing I'll refrain from asking you by what authority is the Bible the authority on whether or not the Bible is an authority.  Whoops, I guess I did it anyway.

I'm glad you have a strong faith.  I'm sure it serves you well and brings you great joy.  Faith, however, is not necessarily truth.  All the other theisms that have existed required faithful followers.  I'm sure many were/are as faithful as you.  Many of them would also claim the exclusivity of authority that you claim for your holy text.

Not to be a stumbling block, feel free to disengage if you find that to be the case, I don't wish damage your faith or offend you, but have you studied the manner in which the books of the Bible were written and assembled/unified?

42 minutes ago, HVAU said:

While the snake eating it's tail approach to a debate is enticing I'll refrain from asking you by what authority is the Bible the authority on whether or not the Bible is an authority.  Whoops, I guess I did it anyway.

I'm glad you have a strong faith.  I'm sure it serves you well and brings you great joy.  Faith, however, is not necessarily truth.  All the other theisms that have existed required faithful followers.  I'm sure many were/are as faithful as you.  Many of them would also claim the exclusivity of authority that you claim for your holy text.

Not to be a stumbling block, feel free to disengage if you find that to be the case, I don't wish damage your faith or offend you, but have you studied the manner in which the books of the Bible were written and assembled/unified?

Indeed, there is faith and then there is saving faith,

I have read and studied how the various books of the Bible ( King James Version) was assemblied, but I am not an expert. 

Can you give me your  question again or  rephrase it?

5 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

Indeed, there is faith and then there is saving faith,

I have read and studied how the various books of the Bible ( King James Version) was assemblied, but I am not an expert. 

Can you give me your  question again or  rephrase it?

Again, I think I'm just going to be attempting to impede your faith by going further.  It would be better leave it there.  

7 hours ago, PUB78 said:

Sad and tragic, but she made a wrong decision by leaving her church. We have a family member that has gone into the homosexual lifestyle.  It has devastated her parents. They love and support her in many ways ,including finances at times,  but have made it clear they do not  condone her lifestyle and her "partner" is not welcomed in their home. She does live a few hours away from them, so her visits are not  frequent although they do visit her while in her area.

So, the daughter is more at peace with God since she started dating women?  Sad.

What does God ask of us? Turn from your sins and trust in me as your Savior. Leave your life of sin and follow me.

It is not from homosexual to straight, but rather from lost to being born again.

Let us hope this daughter doesn’t take her own life. Her parents , while are supporting her financially is commendable,  are making her choose between what she is and what they think she should be. If you watched the whole video ,you heard the numbers. They are correct. Their position has put their daughter’s life at risk.  My family has dealt with that and lived with regrets. It happened before I was old enough to understand it. But it changed some devout Catholics. 

12 minutes ago, alexava said:

Let us hope this daughter doesn’t take her own life. Her parents , while are supporting her financially is commendable,  are making her choose between what she is and what they think she should be. If you watched the whole video ,you heard the numbers. They are correct. Their position has put their daughter’s life at risk.  My family has dealt with that and lived with regrets. It happened before I was old enough to understand it. But it changed some devout Catholics. 

Love the sinner, but not the sin.

18 hours ago, PUB78 said:

There is no hierarchy of sin anywhere in the bible. There simply isnt. I have had so many well-intentioned but unlearned people try and tell me that "but homosexuality is an abomination Brother Dave..." Well, here's goes a bible education...

https://www.biblestudytools.com/topical-verses/abomination-in-the-bible/

https://www.openbible.info/topics/abomination

Abomination

Leviticus 18:22 ESV / 4,677 helpful votes

You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination.

Leviticus 20:13 ESV / 4,264 helpful votes

If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them.

Deuteronomy 22:5 ESV / 3,069 helpful votes

A woman shall not wear a man's garment, nor shall a man put on a woman's cloak, for whoever does these things is an abomination to the Lord your God.

Proverbs 12:22 ESV / 2,837 helpful votes

Lying lips are an abomination to the Lord, but those who act faithfully are his delight.

Daniel 11:31 ESV / 2,760 helpful votes

Forces from him shall appear and profane the temple and fortress, and shall take away the regular burnt offering. And they shall set up the abomination that makes desolate.

Proverbs 17:15 ESV / 2,555 helpful votes

He who justifies the wicked and he who condemns the righteous are both alike an abomination to the Lord.

Proverbs 16:5 ESV / 2,392 helpful votes

Everyone who is arrogant in heart is an abomination to the Lord; be assured, he will not go unpunished.

Matthew 24:15 ESV / 2,365 helpful votes

“So when you see the abomination of desolation spoken of by the prophet Daniel, standing in the holy place (let the reader understand),

Proverbs 20:10 ESV / 2,349 helpful votes

Unequal weights and unequal measures are both alike an abomination to the Lord.

Proverbs 28:9 ESV / 2,339 helpful votes

If one turns away his ear from hearing the law, even his prayer is an abomination.

Proverbs 11:20 ESV / 2,312 helpful votes

Those of crooked heart are an abomination to the Lord, but those of blameless ways are his delight.

Daniel 12:11 ESV / 2,228 helpful votes

And from the time that the regular burnt offering is taken away and the abomination that makes desolate is set up, there shall be 1,290 days.

Deuteronomy 23:18 ESV / 2,159 helpful votes

You shall not bring the fee of a prostitute or the wages of a dog into the house of the Lord your God in payment for any vow, for both of these are an abomination to the Lord your God.

Daniel 9:27 ESV / 2,128 helpful votes

And he shall make a strong covenant with many for one week, and for half of the week he shall put an end to sacrifice and offering. And on the wing of abominations shall come one who makes desolate, until the decreed end is poured out on the desolator.”

Revelation 21:27 ESV / 2,085 helpful votes

But nothing unclean will ever enter it, nor anyone who does what is detestable or false, but only those who are written in the Lamb's book of life.

Proverbs 15:26 ESV / 2,078 helpful votes

The thoughts of the wicked are an abomination to the Lord, but gracious words are pure.

Proverbs 11:1 ESV / 2,022 helpful votes

A false balance is an abomination to the Lord, but a just weight is his delight.

Isaiah 1:13 ESV / 1,979 helpful votes

Bring no more vain offerings; incense is an abomination to me. New moon and Sabbath and the calling of convocations— I cannot endure iniquity and solemn assembly.

Proverbs 15:8 ESV / 1,943 helpful votes

The sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination to the Lord, but the prayer of the upright is acceptable to him.

Proverbs 20:23 ESV / 1,921 helpful votes

Unequal weights are an abomination to the Lord, and false scales are not good.

Leviticus 7:18 ESV / 1,882 helpful votes

If any of the flesh of the sacrifice of his peace offering is eaten on the third day, he who offers it shall not be accepted, neither shall it be credited to him. It is tainted, and he who eats of it shall bear his iniquity.

Mark 13:14 ESV / 1,834 helpful votes

“But when you see the abomination of desolation standing where he ought not to be (let the reader understand), then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains.

Proverbs 6:16 ESV / 1,832 helpful votes

There are six things that the Lord hates, seven that are an abomination to him:

Romans 1:26-27 ESV / 1,810 helpful votes

For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error.

Deuteronomy 24:4 ESV / 1,754 helpful votes

Then her former husband, who sent her away, may not take her again to be his wife, after she has been defiled, for that is an abomination before the Lord. And you shall not bring sin upon the land that the Lord your God is giving you for an inheritance.

Proverbs 3:32 ESV / 1,689 helpful votes

For the devious person is an abomination to the Lord, but the upright are in his confidence.

Luke 16:15 ESV / 1,673 helpful votes

And he said to them, “You are those who justify yourselves before men, but God knows your hearts. For what is exalted among men is an abomination in the sight of God.

Deuteronomy 17:1 ESV / 1,647 helpful votes

“You shall not sacrifice to the Lord your God an ox or a sheep in which is a blemish, any defect whatever, for that is an abomination to the Lord your God.

Proverbs 21:27 ESV / 1,633 helpful votes

The sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination; how much more when he brings it with evil intent.

Proverbs 6:16-19 ESV / 1,578 helpful votes

There are six things that the Lord hates, seven that are an abomination to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that make haste to run to evil, a false witness who breathes out lies, and one who sows discord among brothers.

Genesis 43:32 ESV / 1,563 helpful votes

They served him by himself, and them by themselves, and the Egyptians who ate with him by themselves, because the Egyptians could not eat with the Hebrews, for that is an abomination to the Egyptians.

Deuteronomy 25:16 ESV / 1,545 helpful votes

For all who do such things, all who act dishonestly, are an abomination to the Lord your God.

Proverbs 15:9 ESV / 1,499 helpful votes

The way of the wicked is an abomination to the Lord, but he loves him who pursues righteousness.

Deuteronomy 12:31 ESV / 1,495 helpful votes

You shall not worship the Lord your God in that way, for every abominable thing that the Lord hates they have done for their gods, for they even burn their sons and their daughters in the fire to their gods.

Deuteronomy 27:15 ESV / 1,441 helpful votes

“‘Cursed be the man who makes a carved or cast metal image, an abomination to the Lord, a thing made by the hands of a craftsman, and sets it up in secret.’ And all the people shall answer and say, ‘Amen.’

Proverbs 8:7 ESV / 1,414 helpful votes

For my mouth will utter truth; wickedness is an abomination to my lips.

1 Corinthians 6:9-11 ESV / 1,406 helpful votes

Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

1 Kings 14:24 ESV / 1,384 helpful votes

And there were also male cult prostitutes in the land. They did according to all the abominations of the nations that the Lord drove out before the people of Israel.

Deuteronomy 13:14 ESV / 1,384 helpful votes

Then you shall inquire and make search and ask diligently. And behold, if it be true and certain that such an abomination has been done among you,

Isaiah 66:17 ESV / 1,383 helpful votes

“Those who sanctify and purify themselves to go into the gardens, following one in the midst, eating pig's flesh and the abomination and mice, shall come to an end together, declares the Lord.

Deuteronomy 17:4 ESV / 1,346 helpful votes

And it is told you and you hear of it, then you shall inquire diligently, and if it is true and certain that such an abomination has been done in Israel,

1 Kings 11:5 ESV / 1,307 helpful votes

For Solomon went after Ashtoreth the goddess of the Sidonians, and after Milcom the abomination of the Ammonites.

Deuteronomy 20:18 ESV / 1,302 helpful votes

That they may not teach you to do according to all their abominable practices that they have done for their gods, and so you sin against the Lord your God.

Exodus 8:26 ESV / 1,290 helpful votes

But Moses said, “It would not be right to do so, for the offerings we shall sacrifice to the Lord our God are an abomination to the Egyptians. If we sacrifice offerings abominable to the Egyptians before their eyes, will they not stone us?

Jeremiah 32:35 ESV / 1,288 helpful votes

They built the high places of Baal in the Valley of the Son of Hinnom, to offer up their sons and daughters to Molech, though I did not command them, nor did it enter into my mind, that they should do this abomination, to cause Judah to sin.

Proverbs 24:9 ESV / 1,286 helpful votes

The devising of folly is sin, and the scoffer is an abomination to mankind.

Leviticus 11:23 ESV / 1,240 helpful votes

But all other winged insects that have four feet are detestable to you.

Proverbs 26:25 ESV / 1,221 helpful votes

When he speaks graciously, believe him not, for there are seven abominations in his heart;

Deuteronomy 29:17 ESV / 1,211 helpful votes

And you have seen their detestable things, their idols of wood and stone, of silver and gold, which were among them.

Deuteronomy 18:12 ESV / 1,199 helpful votes

For whoever does these things is an abomination to the Lord. And because of these abominations the Lord your God is driving them out before you.

Deuteronomy 32:16 ESV / 1,183 helpful votes

They stirred him to jealousy with strange gods; with abominations they provoked him to anger.

Proverbs 29:27 ESV / 1,149 helpful votes

An unjust man is an abomination to the righteous, but one whose way is straight is an abomination to the wicked.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 ESV / 1,147 helpful votes

Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

Jeremiah 7:10 ESV / 1,135 helpful votes

And then come and stand before me in this house, which is called by my name, and say, ‘We are delivered!’—only to go on doing all these abominations?

Genesis 46:34 ESV / 1,126 helpful votes

You shall say, ‘Your servants have been keepers of livestock from our youth even until now, both we and our fathers,’ in order that you may dwell in the land of Goshen, for every shepherd is an abomination to the Egyptians.”

Ezekiel 22:11 ESV / 1,114 helpful votes

One commits abomination with his neighbor's wife; another lewdly defiles his daughter-in-law; another in you violates his sister, his father's daughter.

Deuteronomy 7:25-26 ESV / 1,104 helpful votes

The carved images of their gods you shall burn with fire. You shall not covet the silver or the gold that is on them or take it for yourselves, lest you be ensnared by it, for it is an abomination to the Lord your God. And you shall not bring an abominable thing into your house and become devoted to destruction like it. You shall utterly detest and abhor it, for it is devoted to destruction.

Deuteronomy 7:25 ESV / 1,102 helpful votes

The carved images of their gods you shall burn with fire. You shall not covet the silver or the gold that is on them or take it for yourselves, lest you be ensnared by it, for it is an abomination to the Lord your God.

Proverbs 13:19 ESV / 1,096 helpful votes

A desire fulfilled is sweet to the soul, but to turn away from evil is an abomination to fools.

Isaiah 66:3 ESV / 1,089 helpful votes

“He who slaughters an ox is like one who kills a man; he who sacrifices a lamb, like one who breaks a dog's neck; he who presents a grain offering, like one who offers pig's blood; he who makes a memorial offering of frankincense, like one who blesses an idol. These have chosen their own ways, and their soul delights in their abominations;

Leviticus 18:29 ESV / 1,086 helpful votes

For everyone who does any of these abominations, the persons who do them shall be cut off from among their people.

Deuteronomy 18:9 ESV / 1,069 helpful votes

“When you come into the land that the Lord your God is giving you, you shall not learn to follow the abominable practices of those nations.

Leviticus 18:1-30 ESV / 1,068 helpful votes

And the Lord spoke to Moses, saying, “Speak to the people of Israel and say to them, I am the Lord your God. You shall not do as they do in the land of Egypt, where you lived, and you shall not do as they do in the land of Canaan, to which I am bringing you. You shall not walk in their statutes. You shall follow my rules and keep my statutes and walk in them. I am the Lord your God. You shall therefore keep my statutes and my rules; if a person does them, he shall live by them: I am the Lord. ...

Leviticus 11:20 ESV / 1,061 helpful votes

“All winged insects that go on all fours are detestable to you.

Galatians 5:19-21 ESV / 1,036 helpful votes

Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

2 Chronicles 33:2 ESV / 1,028 helpful votes

And he did what was evil in the sight of the Lord, according to the abominations of the nations whom the Lord drove out before the people of Israel.

2 Chronicles 36:14 ESV / 1,022 helpful votes

All the officers of the priests and the people likewise were exceedingly unfaithful, following all the abominations of the nations. And they polluted the house of the Lord that he had made holy in Jerusalem.

2 Chronicles 34:33 ESV / 1,021 helpful votes

And Josiah took away all the abominations from all the territory that belonged to the people of Israel and made all who were present in Israel serve the Lord their God. All his days they did not turn away from following the Lord, the God of their fathers.

2 Chronicles 28:3 ESV / 1,019 helpful votes

And he made offerings in the Valley of the Son of Hinnom and burned his sons as an offering, according to the abominations of the nations whom the Lord drove out before the people of Israel.

Proverbs 6:17 ESV / 1,004 helpful votes

Haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,

Ezra 9:1 ESV / 1,000 helpful votes

After these things had been done, the officials approached me and said, “The people of Israel and the priests and the Levites have not separated themselves from the peoples of the lands with their abominations, from the Canaanites, the Hittites, the Perizzites, the Jebusites, the Ammonites, the Moabites, the Egyptians, and the Amorites.

2 Kings 23:13 ESV / 989 helpful votes

And the king defiled the high places that were east of Jerusalem, to the south of the mount of corruption, which Solomon the king of Israel had built for Ashtoreth the abomination of the Sidonians, and for Chemosh the abomination of Moab, and for Milcom the abomination of the Ammonites.

1 Corinthians 6:9 ESV / 973 helpful votes

Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality,

1 Kings 11:7 ESV / 969 helpful votes

Then Solomon built a high place for Chemosh the abomination of Moab, and for Molech the abomination of the Ammonites, on the mountain east of Jerusalem.

Leviticus 18:27 ESV / 953 helpful votes

(for the people of the land, who were before you, did all of these abominations, so that the land became unclean),

Revelation 21:8 ESV / 916 helpful votes

But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.”

1 Samuel 13:4 ESV / 905 helpful votes

And all Israel heard it said that Saul had defeated the garrison of the Philistines, and also that Israel had become a stench to the Philistines. And the people were called out to join Saul at Gilgal.

Ezekiel 5:11 ESV / 895 helpful votes

Therefore, as I live, declares the Lord God, surely, because you have defiled my sanctuary with all your detestable things and with all your abominations, therefore I will withdraw. My eye will not spare, and I will have no pity.

Leviticus 11:10-13 ESV / 879 helpful votes

But anything in the seas or the rivers that has not fins and scales, of the swarming creatures in the waters and of the living creatures that are in the waters, is detestable to you. You shall regard them as detestable; you shall not eat any of their flesh, and you shall detest their carcasses. Everything in the waters that has not fins and scales is detestable to you. “And these you shall detest among the birds; they shall not be eaten; they are detestable: the eagle, the bearded vulture, the black vulture,

Daniel 11:1-45 ESV / 871 helpful votes

“And as for me, in the first year of Darius the Mede, I stood up to confirm and strengthen him. “And now I will show you the truth. Behold, three more kings shall arise in Persia, and a fourth shall be far richer than all of them. And when he has become strong through his riches, he shall stir up all against the kingdom of Greece. Then a mighty king shall arise, who shall rule with great dominion and do as he wills. And as soon as he has arisen, his kingdom shall be broken and divided toward the four winds of heaven, but not to his posterity, nor according to the authority with which he ruled, for his kingdom shall be plucked up and go to others besides these. “Then the king of the south shall be strong, but one of his princes shall be stronger than he and shall rule, and his authority shall be a great authority. ...

Jeremiah 4:1 ESV / 870 helpful votes

“If you return, O Israel, declares the Lord, to me you should return. If you remove your detestable things from my presence, and do not waver,

Jeremiah 13:27 ESV / 868 helpful votes

I have seen your abominations, your adulteries and neighings, your lewd whorings, on the hills in the field. Woe to you, O Jerusalem! How long will it be before you are made clean?”

Ezra 9:14 ESV / 866 helpful votes

Shall we break your commandments again and intermarry with the peoples who practice these abominations? Would you not be angry with us until you consumed us, so that there should be no remnant, nor any to escape?

Ezekiel 20:7-8 ESV / 865 helpful votes

And I said to them, Cast away the detestable things your eyes feast on, every one of you, and do not defile yourselves with the idols of Egypt; I am the Lord your God. But they rebelled against me and were not willing to listen to me. None of them cast away the detestable things their eyes feasted on, nor did they forsake the idols of Egypt. “Then I said I would pour out my wrath upon them and spend my anger against them in the midst of the land of Egypt.

Ezra 9:11 ESV / 864 helpful votes

Which you commanded by your servants the prophets, saying, ‘The land that you are entering, to take possession of it, is a land impure with the impurity of the peoples of the lands, with their abominations that have filled it from end to end with their uncleanness.

Leviticus 7:21 ESV / 853 helpful votes

And if anyone touches an unclean thing, whether human uncleanness or an unclean beast or any unclean detestable creature, and then eats some flesh from the sacrifice of the Lord's peace offerings, that person shall be cut off from his people.”

Deuteronomy 23:17 ESV / 849 helpful votes

“None of the daughters of Israel shall be a cult prostitute, and none of the sons of Israel shall be a cult prostitute.

Ezekiel 9:4 ESV / 838 helpful votes

And the Lord said to him, “Pass through the city, through Jerusalem, and put a mark on the foreheads of the men who sigh and groan over all the abominations that are committed in it.”

Revelation 17:4-5 ESV / 825 helpful votes

The woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet, and adorned with gold and jewels and pearls, holding in her hand a golden cup full of abominations and the impurities of her sexual immorality. And on her forehead was written a name of mystery: “Babylon the great, mother of prostitutes and of earth's abominations.”

Ezekiel 33:26 ESV / 817 helpful votes

You rely on the sword, you commit abominations, and each of you defiles his neighbor's wife; shall you then possess the land?

Ezekiel 5:9 ESV / 815 helpful votes

And because of all your abominations I will do with you what I have never yet done, and the like of which I will never do again.

Proverbs 11:1-31 ESV / 794 helpful votes

A false balance is an abomination to the Lord, but a just weight is his delight. When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with the humble is wisdom. The integrity of the upright guides them, but the crookedness of the treacherous destroys them. Riches do not profit in the day of wrath, but righteousness delivers from death. The righteousness of the blameless keeps his way straight, but the wicked falls by his own wickedness. ...

Ezekiel 16:2 ESV / 786 helpful votes

“Son of man, make known to Jerusalem her abominations,

Jeremiah 6:15 ESV / 786 helpful votes

Were they ashamed when they committed abomination? No, they were not at all ashamed; they did not know how to blush. Therefore they shall fall among those who fall; at the time that I punish them, they shall be overthrown,” says the Lord.

Proverbs 16:12 ESV / 778 helpful votes

It is an abomination to kings to do evil, for the throne is established by righteousness.

Ezekiel 16:58 ESV / 760 helpful votes

You bear the penalty of your lewdness and your abominations, declares the Lord.

Isaiah 44:19 ESV / 760 helpful votes

No one considers, nor is there knowledge or discernment to say, “Half of it I burned in the fire; I also baked bread on its coals; I roasted meat and have eaten. And shall I make the rest of it an abomination? Shall I fall down before a block of wood?”

Ezekiel 16:22 ESV / 757 helpful votes

And in all your abominations and your whorings you did not remember the days of your youth, when you were naked and bare, wallowing in your blood.

Ezekiel 8:15 ESV / 700 helpful votes

Then he said to me, “Have you seen this, O son of man? You will see still greater abominations than these.”

Jeremiah 44:22 ESV / 690 helpful votes  

The Lord could no longer bear your evil deeds and the abominations that you committed. Therefore your land has become a desolation and a waste and a curse, without inhabitant, as it is this day.

As anyone can plainly see, there is a list of 100 things that God calls abominations, and it is not exhaustive. 

People who READ ONLY PARTS OF THE BIBLE to justify their own prejudices are abominations themselves. I hope you get that.

Some well-meaning, well-intentioned folks misquote scripture all the time to further THEIR beliefs. Saying that one person or one group of people are worse than any other is in itself an abomination. When you quote the bible, you better quote from all of it, not just the cherry-picked verses you want to use to beat up on a select few with.

21 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

I guess everyone's experience is different with regards to the evangelical church depending on what local body they belong to, but I don't see this as an either/or proposition.  

For some, it would be. The church I came from years ago has or had many strange "man imposed" beliefs.

1) All females had to wear dresses in the building. in the early 90s when i first attended, they had ushers that would walk a woman wearing jeans, slacks, pantsuit out to the car. No BS. They have since changed all that but now I work with a church that is actively seeking those that were damaged by those crazy churches and getting them back into a real loving church. 

2) Smoking, drinking, a skirt with even a modest 2-3 inch slit in it was enough to get you dragged in front of the pastor. 

3) Mandatory tithing. This included a visit with the staff with your W2s in hand and reconciliation of your giving record.

There are those churches out there that are this crazy.  

1 hour ago, DKW 86 said:

Proverbs 6:16-19 ESV / 1,578 helpful votes

There are six things that the Lord hates, seven that are an abomination to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that make haste to run to evil, a false witness who breathes out lies, and one who sows discord among brothers.

I think we may need to shut the Political boards down lest we all end up eternally damned the subterranean lake of fire.

16 hours ago, PUB78 said:

Because the  Koran is the inspired word of God and  Mohammad is his prophet.  Numerous times Mohammad warned of hell and how to avoid it and eternal separation from God.

See how easy that was?  

14 hours ago, HVAU said:

Again, I think I'm just going to be attempting to impede your faith by going further.  It would be better leave it there.  

That's the last thing you should be concerned about. ;)

(But you are right about leaving it there.)

Archived