2019 3* LB Octavius Brothers

ellitor

just coming around to this thread ... can someone tell me how a kid has the measureables for his position, is first team all state in Florida, but is 59th at his position on the composite?  If you tell me a kid is first team all state OLB in Florida, then I assume he is at least top 20 at his position ... someone have insight?  already discussed elsewhere?

EDIT:  On a side note ... we only got 2 of the top 50 players from florida.  they were our 2 RB's.

11 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

just coming around to this thread ... can someone tell me how a kid has the measureables for his position, is first team all state in Florida, but is 59th at his position on the composite?  If you tell me a kid is first team all state OLB in Florida, then I assume he is at least top 20 at his position ... someone have insight?  already discussed elsewhere?

EDIT:  On a side note ... we only got 2 of the top 50 players from florida.  they were our 2 RB's.

All-state awards are based strictly on high school production and recruiting rankings are based strictly on NFL potential. 

Clint Mosely was Alabama's Mr. Football but was the 30th-ranked recruit in the state of Alabama. 

21 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

All-state awards are based strictly on high school production and recruiting rankings are based strictly on NFL potential. 

Clint Mosely was Alabama's Mr. Football but was the 30th-ranked recruit in the state of Alabama. 

true dat ... but at 6'2" and 210 (also saw 225), I'd assume his measureables match up to the pros?  unless his speed is off.  again, id assume an all state OLB in speed rich florida would check alot of the nfl boxes.  just a discussion ... i was curious if anyone knew specifics.  it just doesnt add up in my head. may be as simple as an injury or he didnt attend camps?

11 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

true dat ... but at 6'2" and 210 (also saw 225), I'd assume his measureables match up to the pros?  unless his speed is off.  again, id assume an all state OLB in speed rich florida would check alot of the nfl boxes.  just a discussion ... i was curious if anyone knew specifics.  it just doesnt add up in my head. may be as simple as an injury or he didnt attend camps?

Good questions.

21 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

can someone tell me how a kid has the measureables for his position, is first team all state in Florida, but is 59th at his position on the composite? 

@mustache eagle This isn't answering why he's 59th. It's just a couple points of clarity... 210 lbs isn't necessarily great measurables for his position. He will need to get bigger. He's 1st team All State for 5A classification in Florida not all classifications in Florida. I don't know much about 5A there but I know it's not as good as Florida's highest classifications which are 7A & 8A. 5A is half the size of 7A & 8A enrollment wise FWIW.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

@mustache eagle This isn't answering why he's 59th. It's just a couple points of clarity... 210 lbs isn't necessarily great measurables for his position. He will need to get bigger. He's 1st team All State for 5A classification in Florida not all classifications in Florida. I don't know much about 5A there but I know it's not as good as Florida's highest classifications which are 7A & 8A. 5A is half the size of 7A & 8A enrollment wise FWIW.

210 isnt big enough, but I saw 225 listed somewhere and at 6'2", he should easily be able to add 20-30 pounds of good weight in 3-4 years of college.  Great point about 5A.  I had assumed it was for all players, which is wrong.  I played ball in Florida - differences between the middle classes and upper can be significant.  That does tamp things down a bit in my mind, but (to a lesser extent) would still expect an all state guy at 5A to be higher rated - although I would not argue the point. 

Nice thing is the kid has been exposed to quality football in a talented state.  I am happy to have him and hope that he "glows up".  (sorry, i just had a convo with the teenage daughter)

T-Will has a little of the Garner Mentality of giving the young guys some PT so they can develop against real competition not just in practice. Worse case is I see Brothers being a really solid special teams player next year while adjusting to speed and size of the SEC college game. I could see Pappoe becoming a starter by end of year or a heavily used sub and Brothers getting reps against weaker teams and a very small number of reps against better competition by end of year. 

We have seen Garner lose key D-linemen over last few year and  seen little to no drop off in D-Line play.  We lost Adams and Lawson one year, Holland the next year and still had a very good D-Line this year. Last year we saw a lot of young DB's get PT it seems on the defensive side of the ball there is a real emphasis to get young players PT and develop them. We are slowly getting to the point of reloading on defense instead of rebuilding.  We are seeing a little of the same mentality with WR's and a little bit with RB's this year but the O has a long way to go especially in O-Line and QB to be able to reload instead of rebuild. The new Redshirt rules should help with that in giving some young subs some PT against weaker teams to help with that process.

Archived