We Didn’t Finish in the Top 25

thaitopher

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mannn there's no way in hell we should be ranked. We didn't even have a single receiving vote going into bowl season. A beat down over Purdue would not, and certainly should not, have catapulted us into the rankings

Maybe Gus after watching last night and now not ranked will light a fire under is rear.

It is shameful that Auburn is not ranked every year. Probably wont be ranked at the beginning of this season either.

Good thing is the schedule offers a quick rise to top, or the bottom.

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2019/01/where-auburn-ranks-in-way-too-early-2019-top-25-projections.html

Where Auburn ranks in way-too-early 2019 top-25 projections

Tom Green | tgreen@al.com
Updated Posted 

Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn will lead the Tigers into his seventh season on the Plains in 2019.

The 2018 football season came to an end Monday night, when Clemson demolished previously undefeated and top-ranked Alabama in the College Football Playoff final. While there are still nearly eight months before the 2019 season gets underway -- an Aug. 24 matchup between Arizona and Hawaii will mark the start of the season -- it’s never too early to take a gander at 2019.

OK, maybe it is too early, but still, that doesn’t prevent publications from putting together way-too-early top-25 predictions in the hours that follow the final whistle of the national championship game. Auburn will be coming off an 8-5 campaign (finishing the season unranked in the final AP poll) when it opens the 2019 season in Arlington, Texas, against Oregon on Aug. 31 to kick off Gus Malzahn’s seventh season as head coach, when he will take over full control of offensive play-calling again. The Tigers will be looking for a new answer at quarterback and need to replace their top-two receivers following the departures of Ryan Davis and Darius Slayton. They’ll also have to replace their starting linebacker corps, four-year defensive tackle starter Dontavius Russell and starting cornerback Jamel Dean.

So, where do experts see Auburn starting the year in the polls? Here’s a roundup of where the Tigers checked in on many way-too-early top-25 lists:

-- AL.com22nd

-- Sports Illustrated19th

-- USA TodayUnranked

-- ESPN: 23rd

-- The Athletic: 13th

-- 247Sports22nd

-- SB Nation13th

-- Yahoo! Sports: Unranked

-- Athlon Sports23rd

-- Dallas Morning News: 21st

-- Sporting News: 16th

-- Watch Stadium24th

-- Orlando Sentinel19th

Just now, TigerOne said:

Maybe Gus after watching last night and now not ranked will light a fire under is rear.

It is shameful that Auburn is not ranked every year. Probably wont be ranked at the beginning of this season either.

Sporting news has us at #16 pre-preseason 2019.  

1 minute ago, AURealist said:

Nah, man.  I got someone telling me 2 losses next season for real...  

Maybe who knows , but I would like to know that person’s justification or such a prediction based on how the team outlook stands right now.

Just now, DAG said:

Maybe who knows , but I would like to know that person’s justification or such a prediction based on how the team outlook stands right now.

Ask him.  He's in the 6-6 thread....   >:D

43 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

I'm tired of the notion that certain things have to "light a fire" for Gus to get his butt in gear. Goodness, that's all signs of a weak coach. Yeah, i hate Bama...we all do. However, i may feel even worse seeing Auburn Jr. (Clemson) pass Auburn Sr. by and it's not even close right now. That stings like hell for me right now. There's no way someone can tell me we can't be a 10 winning team every year and contend for a championship more years than not if Clemson can. They were able to get over the motto of "Clemsoning" for goodness sakes. 

I think we'll improve on defense next year but i still have no faith in Gus and the offense until shown otherwise. I'm not falling for a dominate win over an overmatched Purdue team. 

If Clemsoning can die so can the notion that we only perform well when expectations are low. I'm waiting for the right coach to get us there.

6 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I'm tired of the notion that certain things have to "light a fire" for Gus to get his butt in gear. Goodness, that's all signs of a weak coach. Yeah, i hate Bama...we all do. However, i may feel even worse seeing Auburn Jr. (Clemson) pass Auburn Sr. by and it's not even close right now. That stings like hell for me right now. There's no way someone can tell me we can't be a 10 winning team every year and contend for a championship more years than not if Clemson can. They were able to get over the motto of "Clemsoning" for goodness sakes. 

I think we'll improve on defense next year but i still have no faith in Gus and the offense until shown otherwise. I'm not falling for a dominate win over an overmatched Purdue team. 

If you ever have to hire/fire personnel, you learn there are specific personalities to watch out for.  The smart guy who needs constant oversight to do his job stinks as an employee and is never worth the hassle in the long run.  

1 hour ago, Auctoritas said:

In b4 "good we do better when we aren't ranked"

Good - we do better when we aren't ranked.

:)

1 hour ago, TigerOne said:

That's for sure.  Sink or swim.

2 hours ago, thaitopher said:

Really thought we would. Pretty sure we could easily at least beat teams ranked 15-25. 

[insert] "deserve to" between "didn't" and "finish, and all will be made right.

1 hour ago, TigerOne said:

He has 49 million reasons to not have to have a fire lit under him...

4 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I agree with a lot of what you’re saying. Remember, Clemson does not have to play in the SEC West, and play the top team in the SEC East every year. Our guys just get so beat up week in and week out with our brutal schedule it’s going to be tough to win 10 games per year. Next year we’re playing Florida in Gainesville, and with what Jimbo Fisher is doing with A&M, it just gets tougher.

5 hours ago, Tiger said:

If Clemsoning can die so can the notion that we only perform well when expectations are low. I'm waiting for the right coach to get us there.

But but but...... we play in the SEC West. We can't win 10 games a year like Clemson because our schedule is just too tough. Just listen to all the sunshine pumpers. They'll get you back on the RIGHT TRACK!!!

hKTbGL.gif

But don't start projecting 6-6 or 7-5 for next season either because then a lot of those same sunshine pumpers will tell you to quit being so negative..... 

1 hour ago, AU-24 said:

I agree with a lot of what you’re saying. Remember, Clemson does not have to play in the SEC West, and play the top team in the SEC East every year. Our guys just get so beat up week in and week out with our brutal schedule it’s going to be tough to win 10 games per year. Next year we’re playing Florida in Gainesville, and with what Jimbo Fisher is doing with A&M, it just gets tougher.

Agreed

We could have a good season or a bad one, but our route to the playoffs is just stupid. One of these years our strength-of-schedule is going to be solely responsible for unfairly killing a playoff run. I just hope we can win the ones we're 'pose to.

Just now, jAUSon said:

We could have a good season or a bad one, but our route to the playoffs is just stupid. One of these years our strength-of-schedule is going to be solely responsible for unfairly killing a playoff run.

Yes!!!! I wanna cry. Our playoff run is already ruined and we haven’t even kicked off fall camp yet. For that, and that alone, I think Gus deserves an extra year. 

😜

1 hour ago, AU-24 said:

That right there is an awesome excuse explanation, sir.  Let's go with that one next season, for sure.  Is aTm too early?   

Archived