We Didn’t Finish in the Top 25

thaitopher

2 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Is aTm too early?   

If we are not rolling by that point, it’s too early.

fwiw

imho

dont shoot the messenger 

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We did not deserve to finish in the top 25. You can't expect the voters to leave out teams like Army with 11 wins just to squeeze us in. Voters vote nationally not with SEC blinders on. Reality sucks.

6 hours ago, Tiger said:

If Clemsoning can die so can the notion that we only perform well when expectations are low. I'm waiting for the right coach to get us there.

You may be waiting awhile.

I can see us not getting in the top 25 but on the other hand, I'd take AU over just about any team below the top 10 on a neutral site....with maybe a couple exceptions and I'd play LSU again too.    BUT...ya have to win 'em when you play them.....    

34 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

Agreed

We could have a good season or a bad one, but our route to the playoffs is just stupid. One of these years our strength-of-schedule is going to be solely responsible for unfairly killing a playoff run. I just hope we can win the ones we're 'pose to.

We have already had a season when SOS kept us out of a national title game. 2004.

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

Yes!!!! I wanna cry. Our playoff run is already ruined and we haven’t even kicked off fall camp yet. For that, and that alone, I think Gus deserves an extra year. 

😜

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

Yes!!!! I wanna cry. Our playoff run is already ruined and we haven’t even kicked off fall camp yet. For that, and that alone, I think Gus deserves an extra year. 

😜

Don't cry Jeff our 2019 playoff run is still intact. You don't take things out of context do you?

3 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

It was a joke, Jason. Don’t turn into scary Jason now. That one was clearly not an Auburn man. 

8 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I'm tired of the notion that certain things have to "light a fire" for Gus to get his butt in gear. Goodness, that's all signs of a weak coach. Yeah, i hate Bama...we all do. However, i may feel even worse seeing Auburn Jr. (Clemson) pass Auburn Sr. by and it's not even close right now. That stings like hell for me right now. There's no way someone can tell me we can't be a 10 winning team every year and contend for a championship more years than not if Clemson can. They were able to get over the motto of "Clemsoning" for goodness sakes. 

I think we'll improve on defense next year but i still have no faith in Gus and the offense until shown otherwise. I'm not falling for a dominate win over an overmatched Purdue team. 

Clemson is the perfect example to repeatedly throw in the face of all these sunshine pumping over 8 win season, whining Gus apologist 'your not a true Auburn fan unless you accept how hard it is to win in the SEC so just let's pretend everything is rainbows and sunshines' crowd. It's all about coaching and anyone who knows anything about football knows that. If we got an elite coach, I have zero doubt Auburn could get there. Gus is not terrible, he does many things well. But hes not elite. Elite is how you build your program and the hires you make. Gus makes some elite hires and some lazy hires. I'll support Auburn no matters who's at the helm, but that's the truth.

I'm pumped over the defensive guys returning...that's huge. I really hope Bo Nix is gonna come out balling and the online improves dramatically. 

11 hours ago, twilli13 said:

But hes not elite. Elite is how you build your program and the hires you make

When I hear statements like this I always wonder who the writer thinks are the "elite" coaches in college football now ?   And if AU fans demand that we have an elite coach, how do we go about hiring one of them?  

Meanwhile,  I'm wondering who on this board has claimed that Gus is "elite"?     Don't think I've ever seen that.....aside from those who continually call him a dummy.....many , like me apparently consider him solidly in the top 10 out there these day …...and on a good day, maybe a bit better considering that he does win some games against better teams. 

15 minutes ago, AU64 said:

And if AU fans demand that we have an elite coach, how do we go about hiring one of them?  

Not to disagree with any of your post, and I know that some Auburn fans are naive enough to think that there is some sort of monetary figure that would guarantee us a coach who could win more games in the SEC than Gus can. But the way a lot of us feel is that we know what we have and it's not good enough, so we should try something different. And if he doesn't work out, then we try something different again. I know it gets harder and harder and program rebuilds are costly and that some schools stay stuck in that cycle. But those schools, except for Texas in the post-Brown vacuum, don't have the resources and recruiting ability that Auburn has. Each of our last 5 coaches since Barfield has achieved immediate or almost-immediate success except Tuberville, who probably fielded the best Auburn team of all time after being on the job for 5 years. 3 different guys with undefeated seasons, 2 guys played for a national title, 2 other guys should have either played for one or earned one that wasn't awarded, and the 5th was only denied the opportunity by probation. 

And here's the real kicker: We hired those coaches from Wyoming, Samford, Ole Miss, Iowa State and Arkansas State. 

We have every reason to believe that there's a guy out there who can take this roster stacked with young talent and win big. 

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

We have every reason to believe that there's a guy out there who can take this roster stacked with young talent and win big. 

I keep hearing that.....and what is that reason to believe?   How do you identify him?      Those are my questions.    

It's been rare than any of the hot young coaches in past years have even been successful, much less risen into the top 10.    Just saying …..go back about half a dozen years and look at the names that were being promoted....and where are they now?  

And I meant my comment as a serious question.   Who are the coaches who are considered elite right now in football?   and how did they gain that status?    All I can think of are Nick and Urban based on long term success.    Too early to classify Dabo IMO and I'm not sure of anyone else I might put in that category. :dunno:

I know I've dragged the OP into a different subject but just look at the top 25 teams and tell me how elite coaches are there?  

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I keep hearing that.....and what is that reason to believe?   How do you identify him?      Those are my questions.    

It's been rare than any of the hot young coaches in past years have even been successful, much less risen into the top 10.    Just saying …..go back about half a dozen years and look at the names that were being promoted....and where are they now?  

And I meant my comment as a serious question.   Who are the coaches who are considered elite right now in football?   and how did they gain that status?    All I can think of are Nick and Urban based on long term success.    Too early to classify Dabo IMO and I'm not sure of anyone else I might put in that category. :dunno:

I know I've dragged the OP into a different subject but just look at the top 25 teams and tell me how elite coaches are there?  

Dabo is definitely elite bro haha. 2 NC in 4 years and has Clemson going 55-4 in the the last 4 years. 79% winning percentage as a head coach. That is the standard of  elite. But in reality there are only 3 coaches who are elite, IMO. UM, Dabo and Nick Saban.

There’s no reason, with the relativistic ease of last years schedule, that our season should’ve ended in October, much less finishing unranked. One of the more disappointing seasons in auburn history I’d think. 

Thet being said, they def didn’t deserve to be ranked after losing to UT and getting blanked by above avg UA, MSU and UGA teams

29 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Dabo's elite, there is a pattern of consistent success at Clemson that supports this assertion.  The man has changed the entire culture there, built from the ground up to a level never before experienced in program history and he's sustained that level of success over an extended period of time.  They are not the "State" school and are not in a recruiting hot bed.  Freaking CLEMSON and Dabo >>>  :puke:

I'm good with dabo but he's only been at Clemson  and his meteoric success has been tied to some elite QBs....and with Lawrence on hand as a freshman, his future looks quite good.   JMO... if he is smart he will never leave there...even for bama.

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I don't see how you can't classify Dabo as elite. In fact, I'd say he just grabbed the belt and saban is going to have to grab it back. Especially since he's doing it with less talent. He had the best defense, quarterback and wide receiver(s) on the field, and not nearly as many recruiting stars. And he's no flash in the pan. 4 straight years of playoff-caliber teams and 2 national titles over the best coach in history.

But you're right, that's not really the point. It's still an extremely short list, and I'm not sure Meyer is even on it anymore. Stoops is probably the next-closest candidate and he's out of the game. So I can't answer that question. 

As for reason to believe that a guy is out there who can do a better job than Gus at Auburn, I honestly thought I already made a compelling argument. We have hit on each of our last 5 hires at least in the short term. Coaching turnover has been good for Auburn every time going back 5 coaches and more than 35 years. How we identify that guy is inexact, but we have found major success with up-and-comers from smaller programs in 4 out of the last 5 guys. Tubs was the exception, but he's actually the template I personally would look for. A guy with pedigree as an assistant under a big time coach at a big time program who is currently finding some success as a head coach at a middling program. Who's that guy? Not sure, but I'm not getting paid big money to find him.  

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

We have hit on each of our last 5 hires at least in the short term.

Short term is our problem IMO....and the end of every short term success has been an agonizing recovery.  I keep hoping we could find a guy we would not put on the hot seat after 3 or 4 or 5 years.   Some of our best success has come in the years when the rest of the SEC west was having problems and the pickings were a bit easier than they are now.  

Stoops could have been on the list ... and if he chooses to coach again and can turn somebody's program around, I'd include him.   And I mentioned UM because he did it at more than one school as did NS.   My only question about dabo is whether he could do that again at some other troubled program...but I can't see any reason why he would even give that a thought .

17 hours ago, AU-HANDLEY-TIGER said:

What the heck is all the love for Florida? Just don’t see it myself.

they have a pretty good looking schedule most likely will be undefeated when we play them . same can be said Mississippi state we may be the better team when we play them near the end of September. but based on their schedule they will most likely be 4-0 by then

A few factors here:

There was only one 8-win team in the final rankings: West Virginia

There was only one 5-loss team in the final rankings: Northwestern

There were six 10-win or greater Non Power-5 teams in the final rankings: UCF, Fresno State, Army, Utah State, Boise State, and Cincinnati

It seems for Power-5 teams, the determining factor is strength of opponents over the season. For Non Power-5 teams it is total wins and bowl performance.

The AP and Coaches polls tend to treat Non Power-5 teams more favorably than the CFP Committee's poll. If there was a final CFP poll, we might have been treated more favorably.

If you look at the final ESPN Power Rankings, which are used for estimating who will beat whom in a given game, is used along with current game situations to calculate the real-time win percentage during the game, and is also used by bookies to determine initial betting lines, Auburn ended the season at #12. We jumped from #20 in Week 15.

The ESPN Power Rankings remind me of those "computer polls" which were a part of the BCS formula. They tend to take the human emotional element out of it.

58 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I'm good with dabo but he's only been at Clemson  and his meteoric success has been tied to some elite QBs....and with Lawrence on hand as a freshman, his future looks quite good.   JMO... if he is smart he will never leave there...even for bama.

I absolutely love when people attempt to discredit a coach by saying "well he's had great QBs!" and vice versa for defending a coach. Gee, d'ya think that maybe, just MAYBE, he had something to do with those QBs turning out "elite?"

8 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I absolutely love when people attempt to discredit a coach by saying "well he's had great QBs!" and vice versa for defending a coach. Gee, d'ya think that maybe, just MAYBE, he had something to do with those QBs turning out "elite?"

Maybe.... but those guys were clearly elite when they got to Clemson.  And no indication that he coaches QBs anyway...guy named Brandon Streeter has been QB coach for about 5 years...so maybe he is the guy?  Dabo has recruited more QBs than just those and for some reason they did not make it....so was that dabo' fault too?

I have to wonder when people try to hold HCs accountable or else give them credit for things they have no direct involvement in. 

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Maybe.... but those guys were clearly elite when they got to Clemson.  And no indication that he coaches QBs anyway...guy named Brandon Streeter has been QB coach for about 5 years...so maybe he is the guy?  Dabo has recruited more QBs than just those and for some reason they did not make it....so was that dabo' fault too?

I have to wonder when people try to hold HCs accountable or else give them credit for things they have no direct involvement in. 

Yeah, it's very easy to say that in hindsight. When Dabo's QBs keep turning out to be elite, and when Gus keeps having QBs turn out to be busts, it begs the question. Don't be surprised if we're saying in 1-2-3 years, "Bo Nix was never that talented guyz! He was always going to be a project! We can't blame Gus!"

10 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I have to wonder when people try to hold HCs accountable or else give them credit for things they have no direct involvement in

Well, that's the thing. Dabo has surrounded himself with quality staff and let them do their jobs. That's what he gets credit for and what a lot of us would LOVE to give Gus credit for. 

Dabo's gotten the elite talent, even if not as elite as several other teams including ours. He's made the right hires. He's built a complete program where those players and that staff can thrive and reach their full potential. And he's done it at a program that is historically inferior to the blue bloods of the sport. His resume is pretty much bulletproof. 

Archived