One missing piece on defense

AUght2win

Assuming Javaris Davis stays, this Auburn defense is poised to be GREAT next year, imo.

Sherwood, Smoke, Javaris, Iggy, Dinson, Tutt and Thomas give us a rock solid group in the secondary. Jamel had his moments, but his coverage skills really were lacking at times. His departure may be addition by subtraction. Bottomline, we are the deepest we have been back there in a long time. The defensive line now returns Marlon and Coe, while Derrick Brown could be in for a Fairley type season. We'll need to replace Russell, but I think Truesdell or Coynis will do the job. Despite some worries about linebacker, the one thing I have supreme confidence in is T-Will's ability to coach. He has groomed Britt to takeover as the leader of the defense and the guy looks like an SEC linebacker. We'll need Wooten or Pappoe to step up at that position, as well as be injury free, but I am not concerned.

The one piece we are missing from having maybe the best defense since Tubberville's days is a great pass rusher. The lack of one killed us this year. Occasionally, Derrick Brown would get home on a four man rush. Coe dominated against lesser competition, but frankly he isn't fast enough to be a pass rusher. But go back and look at the tape. We got NO pressure unless we brought Javaris Davis, Thomas, Dinson, or a couple linebackers. Blitzing that many guys is a dangerous way to live. 

We NEED Big Kat, Moultry, or Jibunor to become a star talent. Otherwise, the house of cards collapses and we will suffer against teams like UGA, Alabama, TAMU, Oregon, and Florida who have legit air attacks. You guys think there is promise at buck? Anybody close to the program know anything about the potential at that position? I will say, I was THOROUGHLY impressed with Jibunor against Purdue.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was getting ready to point out Jibunor until I saw you mentioned him right at the end. He was impressive. Yes, it was Purdue, but in a few games this season, he was in the backfield a good bit. I just don't think he's been on the field long enough to show what kind of talent he is. If I had to guess, him and Big Kat are going to be our two best speed rushers

Agreed. I do think that R. Jibunor looked very good in the bowl game and other times throughout the year. Im hoping he may be the Carl Lawson we been missing. I think TD and Big Kat both need to work on leverage and handfighting more than anything,,,,,they have explosiveness and speed just need to hone other skills more. I like both our Frsh Bucks coming in Hall and Wooden but Im not sure if they can/will make an immediate impact . I also read somewhere that D. Hall expects to play LB....which i thought odd unless he was referring to Buck.

I've been very disappointed with Moultry. Plays reckless and undisciplined. Just flies upfield and hopes something good happens. Similar with Big Kat, but he has looks a hair more polished. 

19 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Assuming Javaris Davis stays, this Auburn defense is poised to be GREAT next year, imo.

Sherwood, Smoke, Javaris, Iggy, Dinson, Tutt and Thomas give us a rock solid group in the secondary. Jamel had his moments, but his coverage skills really were lacking at times. His departure may be addition by subtraction. Bottomline, we are the deepest we have been back there in a long time. The defensive line now returns Marlon and Coe, while Derrick Brown could be in for a Fairley type season. We'll need to replace Russell, but I think Truesdell or Coynis will do the job. Despite some worries about linebacker, the one thing I have supreme confidence in is T-Will's ability to coach. He has groomed Britt to takeover as the leader of the defense and the guy looks like an SEC linebacker. We'll need Wooten or Pappoe to step up at that position, as well as be injury free, but I am not concerned.

The one piece we are missing from having maybe the best defense since Tubberville's days is a great pass rusher. The lack of one killed us this year. Occasionally, Derrick Brown would get home on a four man rush. Coe dominated against lesser competition, but frankly he isn't fast enough to be a pass rusher. But go back and look at the tape. We got NO pressure unless we brought Javaris Davis, Thomas, Dinson, or a couple linebackers. Blitzing that many guys is a dangerous way to live. 

We NEED Big Kat, Moultry, or Jibunor to become a star talent. Otherwise, the house of cards collapses and we will suffer against teams like UGA, Alabama, TAMU, Oregon, and Florida who have legit air attacks. You guys think there is promise at buck? Anybody close to the program know anything about the potential at that position? I will say, I was THOROUGHLY impressed with Jibunor against Purdue.

Great post, great thread.

High hopes for Jib. And I think we're going to see Big Kat take a step forward. Holland was a bit of a mess until it all came together for him his last season. I don't think he was ever as sloppy as Moultry, though. Really surprising that he had such a rough go of it early. Hope it comes together for him. 

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Rest of the thread is A1 but Davis looked worse than Dean by my eye

Davis didn't have as good a year this year as he did the year prior. But it still seemed to me that teams made it their goal to exploit Dean. Starting from the time we played at Clemson in 2017, a sure-fire way to attack Auburn is isolate a receiver on Dean, the WR flies past him, and it's either an easy touchdown or Dean is forced to interfere. 

I’m still hoping TD Moultry will get it together. He has the size and speed to be great, but playing too out of control. If CRG can harness that he could be a beast.

Ummm guys, do you not remember the UGA game when we didn't have JD at nickle? IMO, He is vastly underrated and under appreciated by the fans

• WarTiger changed the title to One missing piece on defense
42 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Ummm guys, do you not remember the UGA game when we didn't have JD at nickle? IMO, He is vastly underrated and under appreciated by the fans

Which JD?...we have a secondary full of them.

2 hours ago, AUght2win said:

We'll need to replace Russell

We sure will, he is so underrated IMO. Maybe the guy's you mentioned will be able to fill his shoes, but they are big ones to fill.

U are underestimating DDavis at LB. Many games, he was the best defender on the field for us. He was the heart of the D last year. He will be missed along with DWiiliams at LB. We need to fill the LB slots and still no game changing pass rusher on D. We address those gaps then we talk special. But with guys returning on the DLine and the experience mixed with young bucks in the 2ndary and were starting in a solid place. 

5 hours ago, kd4au said:

We sure will, he is so underrated IMO. Maybe the guy's you mentioned will be able to fill his shoes, but they are big ones to fill.

I love D Russ but he is a run stopper and we have a ton of those type guys coming back.

3 hours ago, AubFanCT said:

U are underestimating DDavis at LB. Many games, he was the best defender on the field for us. He was the heart of the D last year. He will be missed along with DWiiliams at LB. We need to fill the LB slots and still no game changing pass rusher on D. We address those gaps then we talk special. But with guys returning on the DLine and the experience mixed with young bucks in the 2ndary and were starting in a solid place. 

Deshaun is special. No way around losing him. It will hurt. But T-Will made that kid special, and I have confidence he will continue to get the best out of our guys. LB is the only position where I feel confident that we can always reload instead or rebuild.

Moultry is a natural Linebacker and that is where he should be. He would be a absolute wrecking ball at LB. Not at the Buck where he is now. That is all. 

28 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Deshaun is special. No way around losing him. It will hurt. But T-Will made that kid special, and I have confidence he will continue to get the best out of our guys. LB is the only position where I feel confident that we can always reload instead or rebuild.

We've only got five LB's returning and none of them have ever started a game. I think three of the five played so little that they'll be eligible to redshirt, though Zakobi may have played enough special team plays to prevent that. Plus only one signee at this time. You may be asking/expecting T-Will to do the impossible.

8 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Moultry is a natural Linebacker and that is where he should be. He would be a absolute wrecking ball at LB. Not at the Buck where he is now. That is all. 

I would back him up just to limit his offside penalties. 

9 minutes ago, alexava said:

I would back him up just to limit his offside penalties. 

I remmember TDs highschool tape,,,,,I was super excited to have him.....I kinda wih we moved him back as well. He was amazing in high school...flew to the ball...Im excited to see how Britt and McClain do this year. What was the other ILB we signed either last year or year before...Was it Michael Harris....seems like he that was his name,,,,,a high 4 * guy if im not mistaken??? I dont remember seeing him play a whole lot. How has his progression been?

TD is too undisciplined right now for LB.  He got away with that in HS with big plays because he was so much more athletic than competition. Had  great highlight reels. Moultry needs to adjust to SEC and I think he will.  Big improvement from freshman season but still has a ways to go IMO.

15 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Moultry was supposed to be Sensei Mud 2.0.  Hopefully he can live up to that potential this year.  

My vote goes to Richard Jibunor.  That dude appears to have IT!

Good chance Jib is my man crush this season if somebody else doesn't get him first. I was really excited when we signed him. There are some other candidates, but like you said, he just feels like an "it" guy. I hope I didn't just jinx him though :-X

Archived