One missing piece on defense

AUght2win

With the luck I’ve had the last 2 years (NCM and Asa) I’m gonna stay far, far away from Jibunor, and others who should have big seasons!!!!  I’m going to pick a 3rd string kicker or something. 🤷‍♂️

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

With the luck I’ve had the last 2 years (NCM and Asa) I’m gonna stay far, far away from Jibunor, and others who should have big seasons!!!!  I’m going to pick a 3rd string kicker or something. 🤷‍♂️

TIA, Preach!

1 hour ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Pick Tua

On 1/9/2019 at 11:21 AM, weagl1 said:

I thought  TWill was high on McLain.  

Everybody was high on Mclain......one of my fav recruits.....was referred to by CGM as "a heat seeking missile" ...Pat Dye said he just has a knack for the ball.....and lots of people dont seem to put much faith in Dye anymore but he was the one that said al pre-season in 2017 that Jeff Holland was going to be a force to be reckoned with

Caleb Johnson is a name to remember on defense. He could be a good one no doubt. Miller & Truesdale are run stuffers. I would not be surprised to see Handy playing in the rotation. This defense could be better than what we have had for the past 2 seasons.

Hope we find a pass rusher also but even we dont good coaches will disguise defenses to confuse the quarterback and also force him into misreads.  Run different line stunts to to free up pass rushers.

TD had a rough season but he looked good against Purdue. Seems like he lined up a little bit more to the outside to bump receivers then he'd run in to rush the passer. It worked. He didn't get sacks but he definitely affected passes

On 1/10/2019 at 6:22 PM, AUpreacherman22 said:

Oooh, if we can pick people from other teams, I’m picking little nicky!

I pick Trevor Lawrence hands down! It does not have to be an SEC player.

On 1/8/2019 at 2:49 PM, AUght2win said:

Assuming Javaris Davis stays, this Auburn defense is poised to be GREAT next year, imo.

Sherwood, Smoke, Javaris, Iggy, Dinson, Tutt and Thomas give us a rock solid group in the secondary. Jamel had his moments, but his coverage skills really were lacking at times. His departure may be addition by subtraction. Bottomline, we are the deepest we have been back there in a long time. The defensive line now returns Marlon and Coe, while Derrick Brown could be in for a Fairley type season. We'll need to replace Russell, but I think Truesdell or Coynis will do the job. Despite some worries about linebacker, the one thing I have supreme confidence in is T-Will's ability to coach. He has groomed Britt to takeover as the leader of the defense and the guy looks like an SEC linebacker. We'll need Wooten or Pappoe to step up at that position, as well as be injury free, but I am not concerned.

The one piece we are missing from having maybe the best defense since Tubberville's days is a great pass rusher. The lack of one killed us this year. Occasionally, Derrick Brown would get home on a four man rush. Coe dominated against lesser competition, but frankly he isn't fast enough to be a pass rusher. But go back and look at the tape. We got NO pressure unless we brought Javaris Davis, Thomas, Dinson, or a couple linebackers. Blitzing that many guys is a dangerous way to live. 

We NEED Big Kat, Moultry, or Jibunor to become a star talent. Otherwise, the house of cards collapses and we will suffer against teams like UGA, Alabama, TAMU, Oregon, and Florida who have legit air attacks. You guys think there is promise at buck? Anybody close to the program know anything about the potential at that position? I will say, I was THOROUGHLY impressed with Jibunor against Purdue.

Gus doesn't recruit/develop elite pass rushers. 

I feel like our pass rushers have been one of the, if not the, most consistent area we recruit. Sure this past year Big Kat didn't explode but he was supposed to be getting backup reps this year. I think he makes a jump this coming season.

14 minutes ago, thrustmaxwell said:

I am not sure how to state it any simpler.  Ask a buddy to explain, maybe?

Why would Gus be responsible for developing elite pass rushers when he has a quality DL coach in charge of that? 

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

Why would Gus be responsible for developing elite pass rushers when he has a quality DL coach in charge of that? 

Thanks Jeff. 

On 1/16/2019 at 6:46 AM, aujeff11 said:

Well, A) he does not have a qulity DL coach in charge.  He has a fairly solid DT coach who has done almost nothing to develop solid pass rushing DEs.

and B: Gus is the HC and is responsible for the evaluating, recruiting, and developing of all players on the team.

War Eagle Anyway!

23 minutes ago, thrustmaxwell said:

A) he does not have a qulity DL coach in charge.  He has a fairly solid DT coach who has done almost nothing to develop solid pass rushing DEs.

Jeff Holland, Lawson, and Dee Ford were all developed by Gardner. We have Big Kat coming along as well.

23 minutes ago, thrustmaxwell said:

B: Gus is the HC and is responsible for the evaluating, recruiting, and developing of all players on the team.

If Gus is directly responsible for our DL development, and not just responsible for providing quality coaches on that side of tbe ball, give him a Jimbo Fisher contract and let’s call it a day because he’s done one helluva job. 

41 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Jeff Holland, Lawson, and Dee Ford were all developed by Gardner. We have Big Kat coming along as well.

If Gus is directly responsible for our DL development, and not just responsible for providing quality coaches on that side of tbe ball, give him a Jimbo Fisher contract and let’s call it a day because he’s done one helluva job. 

If you truly believe that averaging 8-5 and consistently fielding poor defenses with a lack of pass rushers for the majority of his career is doing "one helluva job" then guy sadly represent what is wrong with Auburn Culture. 

If you truly believe that averaging 8-5

irrelevant to our conversation and to what I said.

and consistently fielding poor defenses

2014 called. They want their jokes back.

then I sadly represent what is wrong with Auburn Culture. 

FIFY

7 hours ago, thrustmaxwell said:

If you truly believe that averaging 8-5 and consistently fielding poor defenses with a lack of pass rushers for the majority of his career is doing "one helluva job" then guy sadly represent what is wrong with Auburn Culture. 

Yeah now we are getting off track and you're trying to salvage face by getting into 8-5 BS. 

This all goes back to your dumbass statement that we (or Gus) never produce elite pass rushers. Yes. We do. 

10 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Yeah now we are getting off track and you're trying to salvage face by getting into 8-5 BS. 

This all goes back to your dumbass statement that we (or Gus) never produce elite pass rushers. Yes. We do. 

We have had elite passrusher on the Dline more often than not under CGM and more directly under CRG. RG has done a " helluva" job recruiting/developing our Dline. Yes we suffered the lack of an elite passrusher this year....sometimes that happens....Not every team has an Elite passrusher every single season. I believe that this year we will have a couple at least....I'm yet to know who they will be but  can see TD/RJ/or Big Cat all taking that next step. 

10 hours ago, thrustmaxwell said:

Auburn has had a pretty stout defense since Kevin Steele took over, and, yet again, we won 10 games in 2017. You are the definition of a debbie downer: any negative light that can be shined on the team, you make sure to crank it up full blast, whether warranted or not.

By the way, since you obviously can't do math, Gus is averaging a little less than 9 wins and 4.5 losses per year. No, it's not where we want to be, but the sky is not falling, chicken little.

On 1/14/2019 at 9:08 AM, thrustmaxwell said:

Gus doesn't recruit/develop elite pass rushers. 

You're absolutely right, because Gus has nothing to do with the defense. Steele recruits and offers exactly who he wants. Gus just gives the OK on whoever Steele wants.

On 1/17/2019 at 7:22 AM, thrustmaxwell said:

Not that it matters now since you have been shown the hammer but Steele coaches the Bucks, not Garner.

Archived