Locker room dissension

ChltteTiger

47 minutes ago, cole256 said:

At the same time you can look at it as we're in one of our usual dramatic sessions we love so much that just like you can over react with the negative stuff we can over react with positive stuff. People coming back could just man we under performed as a team and by not having success most were put in situations that they need to come back to improve their draft stock and coming back doesn't mean everything just be happy go lucky

Kids run to the draft for far less reasons. What these kids are saying about returning to AU matches up to what they were saying when asked about the locker room chaos.  With not being in the know we as fans can only go off the kids direct words and actions.  This shows me it wasn't what was reported.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was dissension, primarily around the idea that Stidham was already going pro and knew that coming into the season. Some of the players didn’t think he was fully invested. We had one player that felt that coaches were oblivious to his participation on the offense (turns out he was right). Then after our poor offensive showing in many weeks, some of our players on D were particularly vocal about their reciprocal “checked out” attitude. They would come into the locker room, sometimes after being ejected from the game, and had no indication of being affected by the outcome of the game. That got under the skin of some of the leadership on D. 

Sorry—this is truth. Now were we were sold hyperbole and exaggeration? Maybe. But this didn’t come out of thin air. Winning is good, losses stir dissension.

Cubelic wanted everything to stay internal, and that’s probably a good thing. If your job is to report what’s going on, then I guess it’s up to the writer to stir his/her  ethical ego to come up with the best plan as to what/how much to report.

4 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

There was dissension, primarily around the idea that Stidham was already going pro and knew that coming into the season. Some of the players didn’t think he was fully invested. We had one player that felt that coaches were oblivious to his participation on the offense (turns out he was right). Then after our poor offensive showing in many weeks, some of our players on D were particularly vocal about their reciprocal “checked out” attitude. They would come into the locker room, sometimes after being ejected from the game, and had no indication of being affected by the outcome of the game. That got under the skin of some of the leadership on D. 

Sorry—this is truth. Now were we were sold hyperbole and exaggeration? Maybe. But this didn’t come out of thin air. Winning is good, losses stir dissension.

Cubelic wanted everything to stay internal, and that’s probably a good thing. If your job is to report what’s going on, then I guess it’s up to the writer to stir his/her  ethical ego to come up with the best plan as to what/how much to report.

To me, this makes a lot of sense based on the up & down performance of the overall team and I suspected a lot of the defense's demise might have been out of "wind out of their sails" frustration.

Thanks for your insight!

10 hours ago, TigerOne said:

well since most are moles and work for uat bosses then you understand their purpose.

Pay very little attention to negative articles about Auburn in the media

The classic "Little Brother Syndrome" is strong with this post. EXTREMELY strong. 

"Pay very little attention to negative articles about Auburn in the media"

That is of course unless said media has articles that defend your narrative. Then its reputable. But if its something that doesn't fit your narrative, it's because said media "are moles controlled by their rec bosses." 

I mean how can people say this crap with a straight face...

8 hours ago, gr82be said:

I remember seeing things being said that JS wasn't the most popular guy in the locker room. He certainly showed at times on the sidelines that he wasn't too upset with a poor performance. Like I said, it is just my opinion. 

Yes he showed he wasn't upset after a mistake. That's what QBs are taught to do. Everyone who complains how he would just shrug off a mistake would equally be complaining about how he was holding on to his mistakes. 

Below not directed at you gr8

People just wanted to complain about Stidham this season. He always had a smile. People act like he didn't care because he is always smiling. Funny people say Cam is cocky because he is always smiling. But for Cam, it's just because he is always happy. But for Stidham... He smiled since he didn't care. Seems legit. 

I know from my own reliable sources that some of the players weren't the biggest fans of Stidham (there are many reasons why I've heard, but I won't get into that), so the locker room tension rumors were probably true. I think Stidham leaving has something to do with those players coming back for their senior year.

52 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Add to the fact that Gus called Stidham a "coach killer" didn't help things out. Which Gus was almost on the mark about that. Gus said this after spring ball in confidence and it got back to Stidham. Stidham acted like a little sissy about it. 

Give Gus and the staff a ton of credit here, looks like the team has come back together.  

49 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Thank you for this. And your response, too, @cole256.

Players deciding in January to come back in no way means that there weren't problems in the locker room in October. What a silly and strange thing to assume. 

And y'all please quit with the LBS and the REC conspiracy theories. Have some dignity. 

52 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Stidham said just about all the right things in his interviews..and i can't lie - i was sold. Kind of in disbelief.

The part i can't understand is that if he knew he was going pro from the beginning of season, why didn't he just declare last year? 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

And y'all please quit with the LBS and the REC conspiracy theories

Wouldn't be an AU fanbase without that section. I've just accepted them.

3 minutes ago, brad5628AU said:

The part i can't understand is that if he knew he was going pro from the beginning of season, why didn't he just declare last year? 

Don't know if it's true or not but I remember reading one reason at one point was because Gus supposedly offered him more offensive control going into this season. Meaning audibles & what not.

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Thank you for this. And your response, too, @cole256.

Players deciding in January to come back in no way means that there weren't problems in the locker room in October. What a silly and strange thing to assume. 

And y'all please quit with the LBS and the REC conspiracy theories. Have some dignity. 

Yep. Sad to see this all the time. 

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Don't know if it's true or not but I remember reading one reason at one point was because Gus supposedly offered him more offensive control going into this season.

Yep. 

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Wouldn't be an AU fanbase without that section. I've just accepted them.

I admire you for that and I will try harder to do same.

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Players deciding in January to come back in no way means that there weren't problems in the locker

Obviously tbe problems were overblown by the nancies that tried to say Gus was ruining the program, and going to leave tbe program in shambles. Players wouldn’t come back if that was the case. 

1 hour ago, passthebiscuits said:

Hlzo.gif

- Mikey

11 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Obviously tbe problems were overblown by the nancies that tried to say Gus was ruining the program, and going to leave tbe program in shambles. Players wouldn’t come back if that was the case. 

There is more to it than that and I know you are smart enough to know it is not that simple.

There were divisions and those were resolved between teammates and coaches.

Besides Brown and Coe all the guys coming back got lower grades than they thought they would.   Davidson is still living off his freshman hype, injuries have slowed any improvement.  Tega is still so raw another year could do wonders for how quickly he has evolved at the tackle position.   The entire defense had a down year year as a unit which shows on film.  Was it from practicing against our inferior offense?  Was it from the number of snaps that were played.  Was it game planning?  Were guys playing injured?  Did guys just make great plays against us?  

I could go on and on on the potential reasons, but the reality is that they all played some effect and the guys did not play up to their standards, a redemption year as a unit improves all of their draft stock, a smart business decision.

22 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Overblown? When players don't play as hard and quit can you say that is "overblown"? Give Gus and the staff credit for getting everyone back but 2018 was a huge cluster. Huge cluster. So bad it almost cost Gus his job. Think it's really time to just move on. All of these threads about Gus this and that justifying 2018 are stupid. Best just to move on. 

As far as the players coming back? Yeah a lot of that is the coaches but let's be real here. Only Brown was the sure fire draft pick out of everyone. None of the others had the draft grade to go high, 5th round or better. Leaving was like rolling the dice. Now props to Gus and the staff getting thru to the kids about this. 

3 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Leaving was like rolling the dice. Now props to Gus and the staff getting thru to the kids about this. 

It's about time! We have struggled with players leaving early that weren't anywhere close to being ready for ages.

21 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

There were divisions and those were resolved between teammates and coaches.

It was a subpar year, the O was slipping, and the QB looked like he didn’t care, sure there are going to be some rifts. Cole mentioned that when his offense averaged around 10 points a game that tbe defense was hard on them too. That’s normal. It is complete exaggeration to say that Gus lost the locker room or that Gus is killing tbe program or player’s careers.

21 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

I could go on and on on the potential reasons, but the reality is that they all played some effect and the guys did not play up to their standards, a redemption year as a unit improves all of their draft stock, a smart business decision.

I’d argue that most of these players that are returning are no less prepared for tbe NFL, than tbe three that left. The only guy that I can wrap my head around leaving is Dean because of his injuries but he’s not even a top 15 CB. Might as well stay and school at that point. 

5 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Overblown? When players don't play as hard and quit can you say that is "overblown"?

When did the players quit? Amen corner when their sh** was getting pushed in?  The players didn’t quit over dissension in the locker room. 

7 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

As far as the players coming back? Yeah a lot of that is the coaches but let's be real here. Only Brown was the sure fire draft pick out of everyone. None of the others had the draft grade to go high, 5th round or better. Leaving was like rolling the dice. Now props to Gus and the staff getting thru to the kids about this.

I agree.

1 hour ago, passthebiscuits said:

Need transcript confirmation or it didn’t happen.

Love, Mikey

36 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Come on Jeff, you watched the same games I watched and there were some players that just flat out laid down and refused to give 100% effort in a couple of games.  If that's not dissension in the ranks then I don't know what is. 

Then the "alleged" rift between the OC & HC with coaches pulling in different directions and then the Big Money men leaking out "the money's there" in the middle of the freaking season, etc.  Hell, it was obvious Kevin Steele felt the tension mid-season and quite a few of his own players (leaders) weren't focused and tuned in to doing their job on the field (MSU game.)

Maybe some of the situation was overblown to an extent, but there was most definitely fire at the source of all that smoke.  And it was on the brink of becoming and inferno once the PTB, BOT, big money Donors joined in the fray and the likes of Josh Moon/JayTate/PMarshall took to the media. 

The Administration & PTB have left us feeling like we have a lame duck HC and a President that are teetering on the edge until the end of 2019.  

Now good for the coaching staff for helping educate their players, being truthful with them about their draft status and encouraging them to remain another year in the program.  The players need another year in college, and that's why they decided to stay.

Yeah losing often leads to locker room problems, at least from my playing experience it did. No shock there but glad to see the coaches and players have and are least putting it to bed and focusing on 2019. 

3 minutes ago, fredst said:

Need transcript confirmation or it didn’t happen.

Love, Mikey

Cosigned AUJeff, Cosigned AU64.

21 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Overblown? When players don't play as hard and quit can you say that is "overblown"? Give Gus and the staff credit for getting everyone back but 2018 was a huge cluster. Huge cluster. So bad it almost cost Gus his job. Think it's really time to just move on. All of these threads about Gus this and that justifying 2018 are stupid. Best just to move on. 

Who quit and did not play hard enough? I agree only one had a potential 1st round grade and it was DB, all the others served themselves by coming back and it was good that he reeled they back in. Now let see what we do with all this returning talent.

Archived