Locker room dissension

ChltteTiger

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Why would you?

FTR, That quote was sent to WDE, Golf, and myself from a very connected person that we speak with. 

I understand the skepticism. However, Just because it isn't widely known, public, or there isn't a link to a private conversation doesn't mean it wasn't said, it wasn't believed, and it wasn't an issue within the team and staff. 

Video evidence with closed captioning or it never happened

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Why would you?

FTR, That quote was sent to WDE, Golf, and myself from a very connected person that we speak with. 

I understand the skepticism. However, Just because it isn't widely known, public, or there isn't a link to a private conversation doesn't mean it wasn't said, it wasn't believed, and it wasn't an issue within the team and staff. 

I am just trying to interpret what it meant and why was it said during tha time. Was Gus pissed that Stidham was basically saying give me more or am I gone? 

7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I understand the skepticism

Good. I figured you understand why I don’t believe secondhand information loosely corraborated on an internet message board. 

1 minute ago, Tiger said:

Video evidence with closed captioning or it never happened

Thanks, Mikey

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

Was Gus pissed that Stidham was basically saying give me more or am I gone? 

No

8 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Good. I figured you understand why I don’t believe secondhand information loosely corraborated on an internet message board. 

You do know how "inside" information works, right? Seriously, on any site by any person...it's all 2nd hand and it's seldomly corroborated. So in reality, it's just you choosing not to believe the people here that have real info.  That's cool.  

55 minutes ago, DAG said:

That’s not Stidham’s fault. Nor should he feel great about being labeled a coach killer either. I can’t imagine I would be happy about that especially when your HC is suppose to be your advocate for your future in the PROs.

I’m not blaming Stidham at all, it is what it was at the time.  The coach killer thing is new to most people on the board and took me by surprise. I hate to hear it, but I can believe it.  If Stidham had an attitude, it’s up to the coach to get it straight, but it showed itself when his GF tweeted something derogatory toward the offensive scheme IIRC.  I believe the tweet was deleted shortly afterwards.  This leads me to believe it could be true.  The offense was a mess, save the bowl game.

I usually don’t blame players, past or present.

7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

So in reality, it's just you choosing not to believe the people here that have real info. 

No, I choose to be skeptical of unverifiable information on tbe internet that pops up out of nowhere. Whether you believe your sources information or not doesn’t make it any more or less valid than a loose rumor on the internet. 

24 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Why would you?

Need a link or I refuse to believe this. "It doesn't make any sense and when something doesn't make any sense it's probably BS"................😜

19 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

That's because so many "fans" wanted to believe anything that could make Gus look bad. Faked out? More like played....

I'm no Gus fan but i can agree. Do i think there was SOME issues in the locker room? Yes, i mean from my playing days just in high school there usually is when you have high expectations coming into the season and not living up to them. Knowing we had the talent to stack up with any team and the offense not being able to hardly do anything and Gus's uncertainty as HC...i'm sure that does wear on some guys in the locker room. However, it does appear that the media made it out to be A LOT more than what it was. 

I just think that the whole contract situation from start to finish created a bigger mess than if we would've just had a letdown season. The questions about Gus would've still been the same but when you add in how the contract issues....it all became a complete mess. Combine that with a lackluster President and a new AD.....a lot of things came together in a not so good way to create a perfect storm for rumors to spread all over the place. 

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

I'm just trying to wrap my head around a scenario where he says that to anyone, even in private. The kid just quarterbacked his way to an SECW title while saving Gus' job in the process and making him a very rich man.

When was this comment made? Off-season? Or in-season?

Allegedly in the Spring - which makes the comment even more strange. 

What bothered me about Stidham was his rehearsed lines in interviews. "I'm in it for these guys. Love these guys. All I care about. I'm a competitor. <INSERT GENERIC QB SPEAK>". Now imagine being in the locker room, seeing this guy not do the work and not stand in the pocket. Basically just a guy faking his way to the NFL. Imagine how mad that would make you as a teammate.

4 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

What bothered me about Stidham was his rehearsed lines in interviews. "I'm in it for these guys. Love these guys. All I care about. I'm a competitor. <INSERT GENERIC QB SPEAK>". Now imagine being in the locker room, seeing this guy not do the work and not stand in the pocket. Basically just a guy faking his way to the NFL. Imagine how mad that would make you as a teammate.

I called him Mr. Stock Photo at some point over the summer or early in the season. I'm used to QBs who are robots in interviews but he seemed to approach the game the same way, like you said. 

40 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

For crying out loud!  If anything question the timing that the statement was allegedly made (spring), not the validity of the comment.  Stidham didn't do Gus or Chip any favors this season. Hell, there were times when Stidham just look completely off, disjointed, confused, etc.  The guy regressed this season which is a poor reflection on the coaches that have worked with him for 2 yrs.  So labeling him a "coach killer" even in private could be justified.

I just find it odd that the comment was made in the spring, why at that time did Gus feel that way?

13 minutes ago, keesler said:

For crying out loud!  If anything question the timing that the statement was allegedly made (spring), not the validity of the comment. 

You should be crying out loud that a mod expects you to believe anything as if you’re some unintelligent sheep. I mean that fact by itself only beckons the question of the validity  The questions don’t have to be exclusive of one another. 

17 minutes ago, keesler said:

So labeling him a "coach killer" even in private could be justified.

Could be. Could be internet rumor material made up by fellow Gus bashers: Bird, WDE, unnamed source (that’s two out of three anyway...)

On 1/8/2019 at 7:57 PM, ChltteTiger said:

Which internet AU writer wrote after the IB that there was major locker room dissension this season? Was it Marcello or Tate? I think it was Marcello. Anyway I don't see how we could have all these talented juniors coming back in 2019 if what he wrote was true. Looks like we were faked out by the media. 

Marcello wrote about it earlier in the season, I think around mid-season after the Mississippi State game. Here is what I posted on another thread about this, slighted edited:

I am beginning to think the stories about "locker room issues" last season were wildly overblown (speaking specifically of Brandon Marcello's reporting).

I have no doubt there were a few disgruntled voices, and I have no doubt when at team that has visions of conference championships and the playoffs sees them evaporate halfway through the season there will be disappointment. But I also realize emotionally immature (which many if not most 20 year old young men are) people will lash out, blame, complain, and, when they are competitive athletes, work through it and get over it.

In other words, the raw emotion after painful losses is just that. Raw. And with coaching, mentorship, and leaning on each other, will be worked through.

I also recall many posts saying "Gus has not lost this team", like Chizik lost the 2012 team, or other examples.

The truth is we were not that good of a team in 2018. We were not competitive enough talent wise and experience wise in key positions (such as the OL) to be a contender. Washington was not that good and gave use a false impression of how good we were. LSU, Mississippi State, and Texas A&M were all pretty good teams. Getting it together for Ole Miss, then rallying back against Texas A&M were the real highlights of 2018, not the Washington game. And those highlights came right after the nadir of the season, the Tennessee game.

Something good happened to dig us out of that potential hole, and prevent a complete collapse. Yes, we lost to much more talented Georgia and Alabama teams, but it certainly could have been worse.

Marcello should have understood the heart speaking in the moment of pain vs. the determined mind speaking after the immediate pain has past. He should have understood how the art of the follow-up question, and how to flesh out a story. His story seemed narrow, like he only spoke to a couple of people. A handful of disgruntled. He apparently never went back to them later to get an updated story. That would have been a no-brainer after the Texas A&M game.

These players who are coming back rather than declaring for the NFL Draft would not be coming back to a miserable experience, a likely 6-6 year at best, and the risk of getting hurt if they could make an NFL roster. So they must believe they are coming back to what they expect will be a good experience, and a year where they believe they will be contenders. That speaks more than any beat reporter's "inside information", or anonymous postings on fan boards.

That does not mean CGM is the coach to bring AU to an elite program level. It does mean CGM is probably not a coach who is going to bring AU down to disastrous levels.

8 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I admire you for that and I will try harder to do same.

Trust me @McLoofus. When I first came on here & saw that stuff from that section of our fanbase it drove me crazy. I grew up a Bammer & most of my family are Bams so I never saw much of that POV. It was a shock to the system for sure.

39 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I called him Mr. Stock Photo at some point over the summer or early in the season. I'm used to QBs who are robots in interviews but he seemed to approach the game the same way, like you said. 

A scout called Cam phony. Would love to hear what the guy says about JS.

5 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

A scout called Cam phony. Would love to hear what the guy says about JS.

I have a feeling he'll get a lot more benefit of the doubt.

41 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

You should be crying out loud that a mod expects you to believe anything as if you’re some unintelligent sheep. 

jeffy, I don't care if you believe it. I don't care if you question everything from everyone all the time.  It's your prerogative to do so...no matter how silly it makes you look. However to discount what some people know to be true because you don't necessarily believe it is pretty laughable. You just keep doing you though. 

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

jeffy, I don't care if you believe it. I don't care if you question everything from everyone all the time.  It's your prerogative to do so...no matter how silly it makes you look. However to discount what some people know to be true because you don't necessarily believe it is pretty laughable. You just keep doing you though. 

*guy spends time on a message board arguing that he doesn't consider said message board credible*

There's a super-fast fix for that.

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

jeffy

Yes, sweetie?  

11 minutes ago, bigbird said:

You just keep doing you though. 

Thanks

12 minutes ago, fortworthtiger said:

*guy spends time on a message board arguing that he doesn't consider said message board credible*

There's a super-fast fix for that.

I had the exact same thought.

Archived