Locker room dissension

ChltteTiger

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

And y'all please quit with the LBS and the REC conspiracy theories. Have some dignity. 

Here here

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Cosigned AUJeff, Cosigned AU64.

You’re damn right. Half the rifts that we are discussing today were probably conjured up during tbe passing of tbe hookah between alleged insiders and tbe janitors that clean the coaches bathrooms. 

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Add to the fact that Gus called Stidham a "coach killer" didn't help things out.

Do you mind explaining what that meant?

And y'all please quit with the LBS and the REC conspiracy theories. Have some dignity. 

What are those acronyms?

2 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

There was dissension, primarily around the idea that Stidham was already going pro and knew that coming into the season. Some of the players didn’t think he was fully invested. We had one player that felt that coaches were oblivious to his participation on the offense (turns out he was right). Then after our poor offensive showing in many weeks, some of our players on D were particularly vocal about their reciprocal “checked out” attitude. They would come into the locker room, sometimes after being ejected from the game, and had no indication of being affected by the outcome of the game. That got under the skin of some of the leadership on D. 

Sorry—this is truth. Now were we were sold hyperbole and exaggeration? Maybe. But this didn’t come out of thin air. Winning is good, losses stir dissension.

Cubelic wanted everything to stay internal, and that’s probably a good thing. If your job is to report what’s going on, then I guess it’s up to the writer to stir his/her  ethical ego to come up with the best plan as to what/how much to report.

Well that explains a lot and glad this stayed internal, but still vocalized.

9 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Yeah losing often leads to locker room problems, at least from my playing experience it did. No shock there but glad to see the coaches and players have and are least putting it to bed and focusing on 2019. 

:bow:

Look folks players don’t don’t quit from “dissension “ when they are 4-1 ranked in the top ten. With the only loss a walk off fg.  The offense sputtered horribly in that game and still looked better than the defense on the eye test. But miss st gutted our defense from the first quarter on in this game. If there was any dissension it started after that. 

8 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I’d argue that most of these players that are returning are no less prepared for tbe NFL, than tbe three that left. The only guy that I can wrap my head around leaving is Dean because of his injuries but he’s not even a top 15 CB. Might as well stay and school at that point. 

It is still early in the draft process.  I expect Dean to move up.  

I really got no problem in Slayton going pro either.  He was not gonna improve his draft stock next season.  Too many mouths to feed and Gus will more than likely increase the running percentage.   He was at his pinnacle of college football.  I think his testing will be top tier and that his drops were more concentration than an inability to catch a ball.  With that said he is a mid-late to late round pick, which would not change in one year.  He is also a plus blocker which NFL teams relish.  4th rd pick is his ceiling.

It was best for Stidham and the program to move on.  Pro was his best choice as he will be drafted and he will not be an NFL starter. 

If last years draft class was not so strong and promises that were made to him were kept he should have left last year.

To this day my source says Stidham and Briles were a packaged deal until JJ reversed his decision.

3 minutes ago, alexava said:

Look folks players don’t don’t quit from “dissension “ when they are 4-1 ranked in the top ten. With the only loss a walk off fg.  The offense sputtered horribly in that game and still looked better than the defense on the eye test. But miss st gutted our defense from the first quarter on in this game. If there was any dissension it started after that. 

Exactly

What does coach killer even mean? Like T.O. Persona Coach Killer? That is such a general , broad spectrum statement. Add to the fact , the timing of it supposedly being said after spring ball. There is really not a whole lot to go off of on that one. Just came off a 10 win season and the offense was statistically pretty good. 

@passthebiscuits thanks for the info btw.

48 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

The entire defense had a down year year as a unit which shows on film.  

And still was a top 15 defense. Significantly better than anything we had before Steele since the Tubs days.

34 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

It is complete exaggeration to say that Gus lost the locker room or that Gus is killing tbe program or player’s careers.

I wonder if Asa would agree with you?

10 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Do you mind explaining what that meant?

What are those acronyms?

Well I'm sure you know what the REC is... But I don't know the other one either.

Edit LBS Little Brother Syndrome I imagine.

9 minutes ago, alexava said:

All due respect, that is wildly inaccurate.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/playbyplay?gameId=401012304

What happened is exactly the opposite of what you're saying.

3 hours ago, HarrisBoy334 said:

Kids run to the draft for far less reasons. What these kids are saying about returning to AU matches up to what they were saying when asked about the locker room chaos.  With not being in the know we as fans can only go off the kids direct words and actions.  This shows me it wasn't what was reported.

no offense, but the message being delivered was by hand picked players by the coaches to speak to the media.

14 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I wonder if Asa would agree with you?

23 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Asa moved on. He could’ve worked his way up the depth chart and made it to the pros. He was only a TF then. He can still make it to the pros from Miami Florida as well. So yes, saying Gus killed his career is still a complete exaggeration.

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

Asa moved on. He could’ve worked his up the depth chart and made it to the pros. He was only a TF then. He can still make it to the pros from Miami Florida as well. So yes, saying Gus killed his career is still a complete exaggeration.

While I agree "killing his career" would be a bit of a stretch, but it sure seems Asa's best interest weren't looked out for...

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Mississippi State was held in check for the first two drives of tbe game and tben rheir one dimensional offense started ripping off drives. 

7 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

And still was a top 15 defense. Significantly better than anything we had before Steele since the Tubs days.

I was implying specifically by the players expectations.

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Add to the fact that Gus called Stidham a "coach killer" didn't help things out. Which Gus was almost on the mark about that. Gus said this after spring ball in confidence and it got back to Stidham. Stidham acted like a little sissy about it. 

Give Gus and the staff a ton of credit here, looks like the team has come back together.  

Thanks to @passthebiscuitsfor starting the discussion.  My observation were; there was a problem this year on offense after the LSU game and it manifested itself with the defense in the MSU game and carried on until the Ole Miss game.  A lot of coaching/motivating was being done in the background during this time frame.  The Texas A&M game was a miracle.

As to Gus calling Stidham a “coach killer”; that’s a revelation that hits hard.  I know it was said in confidence, but became known to Stidham and shows a lack of character on Stidham’s part. 

Gus did a great job of salvaging the season and I hope he can build on the momentum he has achieved by the bowl victory and the returning of the defensive players.  However, heroes are born, sometimes, by the digging out of the mistakes they make.  A least he knew when to dig.

15 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Mississippi State was held in check for the first two drives of tbe game and tben rheir one dimensional offense started ripping off drives. 

The drive before HT should have been halted at the 1 yd line but a little home cooking game them a free TD.

3 hours ago, HarrisBoy334 said:

Kids run to the draft for far less reasons. What these kids are saying about returning to AU matches up to what they were saying when asked about the locker room chaos.  With not being in the know we as fans can only go off the kids direct words and actions.  This shows me it wasn't what was reported.

What was said that matches up. And no you can always have a brain and use it. If we always went off of direct words we'd be sitting around here like dummies with our mouths open saying what happened we had excellent practices every week and we got better everyday!

When a qb who can’t throw runs for 195 and 349 as a team that is a gutting. It might not have started till later in the first qtr. I’ll give you “inaccurate “ but you gotta take “wildly “ out with the garbage. 

1 minute ago, alexava said:

When a qb who can’t throw runs for 195 and 349 as a team that is a gutting. It might not have started till later in the first qtr. I’ll give you “inaccurate “ but you gotta take “wildly “ out with the garbage. 

Nope. 

Pay closer attention to all of the numbers and watch how they change (or don't change) as the game goes on. Then make an assessment of who on that field and in that locker room was reacting to what. You don't need an insider or beat writer to tell you what happened. This is something that I saw happen in real time during the live broadcast of the game. 

3 plays, 6 yards, punt.
3 plays, -3 yards, punt.
Immediately after an interception by our defense, 4 plays, 9 yards, field goal.
11 plays, 42 yards, missed field goal.
4 plays, 20 yards, punt.

That was our entire offense in the first half. Every possession. Despite all that, MSU only scored 1 touchdown in the first half and even that was falsely awarded after the defense made an amazing goal line stand. Which, of course, immediately followed a muffed punt by our most experienced offensive player. 

Your post was wildly inaccurate. Our defense reacted to our offense's refusal to participate. I forgive them for being human. 

Archived