Locker room dissension

ChltteTiger

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Jason Campbell's NFL career.

I was thinking more Kiehl Frazier's college career

I'm just now seeing this coach killer talk for the first time. Gus said this in private to someone and then this person went and told Stidham? Why did Gus feel like Stidz is a coach killer? Wasn't he bending over backwards to sign this coach killer? Was this because Gus wanted to micromanage things like zone reads and where the ball is being thrown and Stidham wanted to actually play the QB position rather than be a robot which caused some friction? 

3 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I'm just now seeing this coach killer talk for the first time. Gus said this in private to someone and then this person went and told Stidham? Why did Gus feel like Stidz is a coach killer? Wasn't he bending over backwards to sign this coach killer? Was this because Gus wanted to micromanage things like zone reads and where the ball is being thrown and Stidham wanted to actually play the QB position rather than be a robot which caused some friction? 

Yes, I am waiting for a response to this myself.

I've heard it in the NFL before. Usually it's a guy that is paid 1st-round money and the coach is forced to try to win with him no matter what. 

Not sure why Gus would say that about Stidham. The above obviously doesn't apply. I'll try to withhold judgment of Gus on that but it's a very bad look if true IMO. Reminds me of him blaming Sean for not telling the coaches that he was injured. 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

hat was our entire offense in the first half. Every possession. Despite all that, MSU only scored 1 touchdown in the first half and even that was falsely awarded after the defense made an amazing goal line stand.

Nothing you said countered his post. Our offense was bad (albeit against the number one scoring defense in the nation.)

and defense was nearly as bad against a reeling, and one dimensional offense. 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Nope. 

Pay closer attention to all of the numbers and watch how they change (or don't change) as the game goes on. Then make an assessment of who on that field and in that locker room was reacting to what. You don't need an insider or beat writer to tell you what happened. This is something that I saw happen in real time during the live broadcast of the game. 

3 plays, 6 yards, punt.
3 plays, -3 yards, punt.
Immediately after an interception by our defense, 4 plays, 9 yards, field goal.
11 plays, 42 yards, missed field goal.
4 plays, 20 yards, punt.

That was our entire offense in the first half. Every possession. Despite all that, MSU only scored 1 touchdown in the first half and even that was falsely awarded after the defense made an amazing goal line stand. Which, of course, immediately followed a muffed punt by our most experienced offensive player. 

Your post was wildly inaccurate. Our defense reacted to our offense's refusal to participate. I forgive them for being human. 

I watched Auburn win games for decades with close to zero production from the offensive side. The defense never quit or made excuses for getting gutted by a truly one dimensional opponent. Especially ranked so high with all goals intact. More recently we have had to outscore opponents to win games. I’ve not seen the offense get frustrated and quit either. You sometimes just get your ass kicked. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I've heard it in the NFL before. Usually it's a guy that is paid 1st-round money and the coach is forced to try to win with him no matter what. 

Not sure why Gus would say that about Stidham. The above obviously doesn't apply. I'll try to withhold judgment of Gus on that but it's a very bad look if true IMO. Reminds me of him blaming Sean for not telling the coaches that he was injured. 

In essence the NFL analogy is what happened IMO.  Gus had to play Stidham as he had no other option.  Stidham was not pressed by MW and Stidham knew it and as WDE said “got pissy about it”.  Not a good look like you said.

The article referenced here was classic “click bait “ and nothing more!

2 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

In essence the NFL analogy is what happened IMO.  Gus had to play Stidham as he had no other option.  Stidham was not pressed by MW and Stidham knew it and as WDE said “got pissy about it”.  Not a good look like you said.

In that case Gus is his own coach killer. Nobody forced him to have an untrustable stable of QBs behind the guy he was dying to sign compromising Gus' ability to "survive".

21 minutes ago, alexava said:

I watched Auburn win games for decades with close to zero production from the offensive side. The defense never quit or made excuses for getting gutted by a truly one dimensional opponent. Especially ranked so high with all goals intact. More recently we have had to outscore opponents to win games. I’ve not seen the offense get frustrated and quit either. You sometimes just get your ass kicked. 

Actually, you did watch the offense get frustrated and quit against uga in 2014. 

And you've also seen the defense repeatedly play their guts out the last 3 years with zero help from the offense. Remember the last 2 Clemson games?

And you have not seen Auburn win many games at all with 3 points and 74 total yards of offense in the first half and 18:07 of possession for the entire game. 

Finally, I didn't say it was right or wrong for the defense to quit. I only said that they did and that I forgive them for it. And you seem to have budged on what might have actually happened, so that's good. 

The defense eventually got gutted after they realized the offense wasn't going to leave the locker room that day. It happens. Obviously the team eventually came together. Speaks well of the coaches and the upperclassmen on the defense. Curious what would've happened if we replaced Deshaun Davis and Derrick Brown with Mack Wilson and Quinnen Williams. 

1 minute ago, Tiger said:

In that case Gus is his own coach killer. Nobody forced him to have an untrustable stable of QBs behind the guy he was dying to sign compromising Gus' ability to "survive".

It’s been this way for years with Gus.  He was looking for the next GT to save him this year in Bryant.  I don’t know what Gus’ standard is to be able to trust his QB, but not very many QBs have earned his trust. Just one a year as long as his name wasn’t SW.

36 minutes ago, Tiger said:

The posts leading up to that comment lead me to believe Stidham's preparedness and dedication to the game makes him a coach killer, according to Gus...b/c the rumor is that he didn't put in the work, didn't care, didn't lead and that the locker room was divided over him b/c of that.

9 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

It’s been this way for years with Gus.  He was looking for the next GT to save him this year in Bryant.  I don’t know what Gus’ standard is to be able to trust his QB, but not very many QBs have earned his trust. Just one a year as long as his name wasn’t SW.

So true. Earning Gus' trust is like licking your own elbow.

I really think Jeremy Johnson did some irreversible damage to Gus and his confidence in his players and himself.

13 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

The posts leading up to that comment lead me to believe Stidham's preparedness and dedication to the game makes him a coach killer, according to Gus...b/c the rumor is that he didn't put in the work, didn't care, didn't lead and that the locker room was divided over him b/c of that.

I'm just trying to wrap my head around a scenario where he says that to anyone, even in private. The kid just quarterbacked his way to an SECW title while saving Gus' job in the process and making him a very rich man.

When was this comment made? Off-season? Or in-season?

28 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

That’s not Stidham’s fault. Nor should he feel great about being labeled a coach killer either. I can’t imagine I would be happy about that especially when your HC is suppose to be your advocate for your future in the PROs.

Just now, DAG said:

That’s not Stidham’s fault. Nor should he feel great about being labeled a coach killer either. I can’t imagine I would be happy about that especially when your HC is suppose to be your advocate for your future in the PROs.

Terrible look for Gus and terrible for JS to have that phrase floating around attached to his name right now when trying to prep for the NFL Draft.

Luckily for Stidham the NFL has known for years our offense is a joke when it comes to displaying how good a guy can be at the next level.

18 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Actually, you did watch the offense get frustrated and quit against uga in 2014. 

They quit after the fumbled snap against aTm. The offense only scoring one TD against Georgia had nothing to do with the defense. 

20 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

And you've also seen the defense repeatedly play their guts out the last 3 years with zero help from the offense

We have repetitively seen the defense sh** the bed as well. The offense isn’t always going to click- especially as you saw with SW at QB. The defense isn’t always going to hold up either. It’s a team sport. 

24 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I only said that they did and that I forgive them for it

A two and three deep defense faced some adversity and “quit” against a one dimensional offense that couldn’t even score against Florida and Kentucky tbe weeks before and you forgive them. Isn’t that nice. 

Did they “quit” against Tennessee this year, too?

22 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I'm just trying to wrap my head around a scenario where he says that to anyone, even in private. The kid just quarterbacked his way to an SECW title and saving Gus' job in the process and making him a very rich man.

When was this comment made? Off-season? Or in-season?

I’ve never seen or heard of this quote before. I’m guessing y’all are passing tbe hookah around again. 

14 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Luckily for Stidham the NFL has known for years our offense is a joke when it comes to displaying how good a guy can be at the next level.

Luckily for Stidham he can claim our offense is the reason why he overthrew everybody and their mamma this year. 

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I’ve never seen or heard of this quote before. I’m guessing y’all are passing tbe hookah around again. 

I just heard it today so I'd love to know more

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Luckily for Stidham he can claim our offense is the reason why he overthrew everybody and their mamma this year. 

Lol. Yup, he definitely was off on his long balls this year. Doesn't change the fact that 95% of his responsibility consisted of 2 throws which is no help for his NFL chances. He showed enough on his deep shots last season to prove that he can do it for a full season. Just didn't have it this year for whatever reason. Doesn't change the fact that the NFL places less value on film of our guys than they do of other schools, though. The NFL knows. 

41 minutes ago, DAG said:

Possible benefit to so many of us getting off the Gus Bus. Maybe it won't hurt as bad for the players and assistants he throws under it. 

Alternate version: When the bus has your name on it, you can throw anyone you damned well please under it. 

(Sorry. I just really wanted to make a Gus Bus/throw X under the bus joke.)

28 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Why would you?

FTR, That quote was sent to WDE, Golf, and myself from a very connected person that we speak with. 

I understand the skepticism. However, Just because it isn't widely known, public, or there isn't a link to a private conversation doesn't mean it wasn't said, it wasn't believed, and it wasn't an issue within the team and staff. 

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Why would you?

FTR, That quote was sent to WDE, Golf, and myself from a very connected person that we speak with. 

I understand the skepticism. However, Just because it isn't widely known by the public or there isn't a link to a private conversation doesn't mean it wasn't said, it wasn't believed, and it wasn't an issue. 

Image result for fingers in ears gif

Archived