Next Year's LBs

WarEagle1982

Been thinking about all of the recent news of guys coming back up front and in the secondary and realizing that the LB position will most likely be the make or break spot possibly on the entire team (as the Offensive Line was this year).  I will say, up-front, that I believe that Travis Williams will coach these guys up to play to their full potential.  But, what is their full potential?

I believe Pappoe, if he is as good as advertised, will have to come in and probably play from day one.

I also believe that Britt will step in and do a great job inside.  

What about Richard McBryde?  Is he ever going to step up and be a dude in there?  He really hasn't shown up much.  This is his 4th year on campus now.

Now, where does the depth come from?  Who are they?  Are there possibilities of someone having to move down out of the safeties?  (Smoke Monday?)

What does everyone think?

So we will probably have Britt starting at Middle LB, thats about the only safe bet i have....but after that you have Wooten/McClain that could be the other LB, or maybe Pappoe. I think Michael Harris will be rotated in behind Britt. Dont know yet who else we bring in this class. I think McBride is done but not sure. We have talent there and the starters will have decent amount of experience id say but after that it will be interesting

6 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

So we will probably have Britt starting at Middle LB, thats about the only safe bet i have....but after that you have Wooten/McClain that could be the other LB, or maybe Pappoe. I think Michael Harris will be rotated in behind Britt. Dont know yet who else we bring in this class. I think McBride is done but not sure. We have talent there and the starters will have decent amount of experience id say but after that it will be interesting

They don't have just a lot of high quality guys on the recruiting board.  That is why I am thinking depth could be an issue for sure.

10 minutes ago, WarEagle1982 said:

They don't have just a lot of high quality guys on the recruiting board.  That is why I am thinking depth could be an issue for sure.

I would be careful saying that "not highly rated by recruiting services" equals being "not high quality". 

I think our coaches are very high on the guys that are on the board and those guys are picking up offers from other big time programs. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I would be careful saying that "not highly rated by recruiting services" equals being "not high quality". 

I think our coaches are very high on the guys that are on the board and those guys are picking up offers from other big time programs. 

True.  Maybe I should have said there just aren't a lot of LBs on the recruiting board and it looks to be a major position of need just like the OL is.

44 minutes ago, WarEagle1982 said:

Been thinking about all of the recent news of guys coming back up front and in the secondary and realizing that the LB position will most likely be the make or break spot possibly on the entire team (as the Offensive Line was this year).  I will say, up-front, that I believe that Travis Williams will coach these guys up to play to their full potential.  But, what is their full potential?

I believe Pappoe, if he is as good as advertised, will have to come in and probably play from day one.

What about Richard McBryde?  Is he ever going to step up and be a dude in there?  He really hasn't shown up much.  This is his 4th year on campus now.

Now, where does the depth come from?  Who are they?  Are there possibilities of someone having to move down out of the safeties?  (Smoke Monday?)

McBryde had a pretty serious neck injury.  

We normally only play 2 linebackers on half of the defensive snaps from games I checked.

Britt seems to be the leader, Wooten, McClain and Harris all can play. 

Remember that our Bucks can fill the role as well.

17 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

McBryde had a pretty serious neck injury.  

We normally only play 2 linebackers on half of the defensive snaps from games I checked.

Britt seems to be the leader, Wooten, McClain and Harris all can play. 

Remember that our Bucks can fill the role as well.

I had actually thought about the Bucks, specifically Jibunor.  He actually had more of an OLB's size (215 lbs.)

We have no starting linebackers returning. We have two that have some playing experience and three returners that played very little. At this point in time, we have one Lb signee. If there's a team anywhere in p5 football that's as thin at Lb as Auburn, I don't know who it might be. The quality may be fine, that's yet to be determined in SEC games, but the numbers are dismal.

Switching Jubinor to LB, his high school position, may become a necessity. He's a good football player.

I believe Wooten started a couple of games but I do agree we are thin at least when it comes to experience. As others have said we have some bucks like Jibunor, Moultry and possibly Hall coming in who played LB in HS and have the talent. With Pappoe coming in and maybe 1-2 more this year we should be good numbers wise but it is the area on the D side of the ball that scares me the most. 

Experience is the biggest issue if we can get by Oregon then next two games should gives us some reps for younger players to get the experience they will need if called upon later in the year.

Long term I am not as worried about LB as I am O-line as the young ones we have are talented and if we get 1-2 more to go along with Pappoe and the 2 who have committed for 2020 we will be fine.

TWill is probably happier than anyone about all the DLs (and most of the DBs) coming back. Those guys, if healthy and engaged, will provide quite the cushion for our young LBs to learn on the job. 

On 1/9/2019 at 9:39 AM, WarEagle1982 said:

This coming year is really going to test T Wills makeup as a coach. I think hes up to the challenge personally. Can he effectively replace all the starters at the same time? We will see. I am excited to see Britt meet some backs in the hole as the middle linebacker and stoked to see what Pappoe is capable of. Does anyone know if we are planning to move any of the million guys we have playing buck defensive end to a true linebacker role? Td Moultry struggled a little at buck last year...did he play a true linebacker role in highschool and is he a viable option? Not looking for a debate on TD by the way, for those so inclined. Just wondering because I dont know much about how he was used in highschool and how he could be used now. What other lb options exist?

2 hours ago, twilli13 said:

This coming year is really going to test T Wills makeup as a coach. I think hes up to the challenge personally. Can he effectively replace all the starters at the same time? We will see. I am excited to see Britt meet some backs in the hole as the middle linebacker and stoked to see what Pappoe is capable of. Does anyone know if we are planning to move any of the million guys we have playing buck defensive end to a true linebacker role? Td Moultry struggled a little at buck last year...did he play a true linebacker role in highschool and is he a viable option? Not looking for a debate on TD by the way, for those so inclined. Just wondering because I dont know much about how he was used in highschool and how he could be used now. What other lb options exist?

Im pretty sure TD played a traditional LB alot in highschool. I think he or RJ would be the two most viable options to move back....I think TD would need to shed a little weight though..They really beefed him to make him fit that Buck spot IMO

I think we will be pleasantly surprised with our LB corps in 2019. This current area of concern will become a strength before the 2019 season is over with. Trust the Doc on this one!  I almost picked us to beat Purdue 70-14 and would have done so if Gatewood would have been given the TD he earned at the end of the game.

Not to toot my horn too much, but in the "I told you so" topic, I picked UK to win 10 games and challenge for the SEC East this past season and got that one right. We will win 9-11 games in 2019, and you can take this to the bank!

1 hour ago, doc4aday said:

I think we will be pleasantly surprised with our LB corps in 2019. This current area of concern will become a strength before the 2019 season is over with. Trust the Doc on this one!  I almost picked us to beat Purdue 70-14 and would have done so if Gatewood would have been given the TD he earned at the end of the game.

Not to toot my horn too much, but in the "I told you so" topic, I picked UK to win 10 games and challenge for the SEC East this past season and got that one right. We will win 9-11 games in 2019, and you can take this to the bank!

OK doc.  I'm an optimist myself, so I'll agree with you.  Next year will be a good one for us, LBs included.  But especially our D-line.  And that's what may help the LBs to a great extent - our great D-line. 

Did you really pick UK to win 10 games?  And if so, would you mind publishing your zodiac sign and lucky numbers? :)

Pretty cool.  UK earned a great season.

LBer situation is basically the exact same we were in 3 years ago. You graduate a couple seniors (Frost/McKinzy) but have a few of quality freshman/sophomores (Davis, Williams), most with little to no experience.

I expect it to look something like this:

WLB - McClain / Wooten

MLB - Britt / Harris

SLB - Wooten / Pappoe / Marsh

I expect Britt and McClain to get the first shot at starting. Both played the most as backups. Pappoe could possibly start at SLB because this position comes off during nickel formations, so it gives him a taste early but not too often.

I'm most interested in seeing Harris, personally. I think he's the "thumper" Auburn needs at Mike but I don't see him beating Britt out. It'll be interesting...

I think after watching Jibunor play some meaningful reps in the Purdue game that guy showed he belongs in the 1st string.  What position he ends up settling in is up for debate, but when he was in the game all you needed to do to find him was follow the ball. He was all over the field. That young man has a bright future on defense. 

I think we run 3 LBs right? Ideally you move Jib to buck because..we definitely need a buck. IMO, if you want this to be a championship team, you need Pappoe to become that guy game 1. I really don’t think there’s a comparable ceiling to his in that unit, no disrespect to the others. If you could get him where he could be and get enough out the other OLB and the interior guy...that should be enough with a broken defensive line and an experienced secondary 

On 1/9/2019 at 9:54 AM, Mikey said:

We have no starting linebackers returning. We have two that have some playing experience and three returners that played very little. At this point in time, we have one Lb signee. If there's a team anywhere in p5 football that's as thin at Lb as Auburn, I don't know who it might be. The quality may be fine, that's yet to be determined in SEC games, but the numbers are dismal.

Switching Jubinor to LB, his high school position, may become a necessity. He's a good football player.

I have been very pleased with Jibunors play! However I am concerned about depth there. Thinnest at the spot in a while.

24 minutes ago, keesler said:

Steele's entering his 4th season at AU, why hasn't he built depth by now?

Because he's had to leave the starters in too much because we couldn't score points and one of our key guys broke his neck? Might also have something to do with him finding success rushing safeties and other schematic things that bolster the 2 main LB spots. 

I realize it's still not perfect from a numbers standpoint but I don't see it as being an emergency, certainly not on par with the OL. 

Moultry is an elite LB talent that’s been wasted at the Buck position. I guess they put him there out of need originally and because he wasn’t going to play with DD and D Williams having two years of eligibility, but he needs to move back to being a LB. we have Coe and Big Cat both ahead of him now and Rich Jib is gonna pass him too. Makes way too much sense and I hope he does bc he has more potential at LB than anyone else on the team.

Britt is going to be a monster though. Not worried about him at all

On 1/13/2019 at 8:12 PM, KolchakAU85 said:

OK doc.  I'm an optimist myself, so I'll agree with you.  Next year will be a good one for us, LBs included.  But especially our D-line.  And that's what may help the LBs to a great extent - our great D-line. 

Did you really pick UK to win 10 games?  And if so, would you mind publishing your zodiac sign and lucky numbers? :)

Pretty cool.  UK earned a great season.

I sure did about UK!  I am a virgo but do not deal with astrology things. Here are some lucky lottery numbers..........16,38,41,23,51.......& 11 for the final qp number. Give it a whirl and if you win, the doc gets 9% of your winning! I was not pro Gus there for a while and was ready to send him on his way. After the bowl win and getting all of the players to return for 2019, he is doing something right and I will be in his camp for 2019 as long as he puts a winner on the field.

23 hours ago, tigeraddikt said:

What is the informed opinion on Josh Marsh breaking into the rotation? 

The Doc is about as un-informed as it gets, but I will take a stab at it anyway. Marsh will be in the rotation before the season is done. Our defense will be rock solid for 2019.

Archived