Lindsey is Troy's new HC

auburnphan

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Makes sense and a good hire for them.

Not sure about Troy...but a good move Chip....he had no business being out in Kansas....

Shows you how much he is thought of after his stint with Gus. Not many guys with the offense we had last year would have oc chances, much less land a HC job, replacing a guy that led Troy to a new realm

1 minute ago, Maverick.AU said:

Shows you how much he is thought of after his stint with Gus. Not many guys with the offense we had last year would have oc chances, much less land a HC job, replacing a guy that led Troy to a new realm

Chip coached in the area for HS and then at Miss Southern....and Auburn.   Probably knows every HS coach in Alabama and neighboring regions.....should be great recruiting for Troy where they are mostly depending on 2* and 3*  kids that won't be considered by AU or Bama.   

Just now, AU64 said:

Chip coached in the area for HS and then at Miss Southern....and Auburn.   Probably knows every HS coach in Alabama and neighboring regions.....should be great recruiting for Troy where they are mostly depending on 2* and 3*  kids that won't be considered by AU or Bama.   

True, but as an HC you are looking at long term vision, despite having a terrible offense this year, he is still viewed as a good enough coach to get an HC job 

True, but as an HC you are looking at long term vision, despite having a terrible offense this year, he is still viewed as a good enough coach to get an HC job 

If he wants to be a HC, this is a very good place to start.   I am not a big Chip fan but this is an established program in an area he knows and won't require him to rebuild a program that's been in the toilet for few years.     His task is not to screw it up. 

50 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

If this news is correct, I think Chip will be the first coach under the Gus Tree to become a HC. 

I guess if you consider Gus under the Houston Nutt tree this would be accurate

Just now, AU64 said:

If he wants to be a HC, this is a very good place to start.   I am not a big Chip fan but this is an established program in an area he knows and won't require him to rebuild a program that's been in the toilet for few years.     His task is not to screw it up. 

Even though you won’t like it. My post was a shot at Gus. The fact that he got inquired about by both Pruitt and miles, speaks volumes about his reputation in coaching circles. The fact that Troy is choosing him as a successor to Neal brown, speaks volumes as well.

Even though you won’t like it. My post was a shot at Gus. The fact that he got inquired about by both Pruitt and miles, speaks volumes about his reputation in coaching circles. The fact that Troy is choosing him as a successor to Neal brown, speaks volumes as well.

I guess that's your interpretation.....  The fact he got inquired about at UT and Kansas is not too impressive, especially when Kansas seemed to be his best option so maybe we wait and see how he does.  He won't be coaching against SEC defensive geniuses and hope he will keep Troy successful.   I still think most of our offensive problems were because of Chip and his inability to coach JS.  

So what's Les gonna do? 

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I guess that's your interpretation.....  The fact he got inquired about at UT and Kansas is not too impressive, especially when Kansas seemed to be his best option so maybe we wait and see how he does.  He won't be coaching against SEC defensive geniuses and hope he will keep Troy successful.   I still think most of our offensive problems were because of Chip and his inability to coach JS.  

So what's Les gonna do? 

The point was, the coaches contacting him, again we’re gonna disagree. I think it’s Gus, you think it’s chip, and that’s fine. I saw the same plays against Purdue as we saw during the season with chip. It’s been said before that chip could call plays, but it was filtered by gus

39 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Ha Ha, Chip would throw rocks at anyone who called him a member of a Gus coaching tree. 
I guess Troy officials didn't read this board where the Gus Brigade blamed Chip for all the problems AU had on offense in 2018. Good for them and good for Chip.

Let's see how this plays out in 2019.  Hiring a guy that got (essentially) fired from an OC job for your new HC....a brave move.  Just think there were others out there that would have been a better choice.

If you've ever been to Troy, you know it's not an extremely desirable location but they've fielded a very good team lately.  I hope Chip keeps 'em going. 

I have absolutely no idea how he will do as a hc. I wish him well and for the first time ever will be watching Troy. Out of curiosity if nothing else. 

1 hour ago, penguin149 said:

Let's see how this plays out in 2019.  Hiring a guy that got (essentially) fired from an OC job for your new HC....a brave move.  Just think there were others out there that would have been a better choice.

If you've ever been to Troy, you know it's not an extremely desirable location but they've fielded a very good team lately.  I hope Chip keeps 'em going. 

Plenty desirable. This is a win for Chip.

11 hours ago, auburnphan said:

I'm still trying to process the phrase, "Gus (coaching) tree."  😜

11 hours ago, CR said:

Ha Ha, Chip would throw rocks at anyone who called him a member of a Gus coaching tree. 

But he is though. Gus brought him in as an analyst in 2013 and brought him in as OC in 2017. He’s been with Gus twice. 

He’s as much a part of tbe Gus coaching tree as he is under Rush Propst, John Mothershed, Todd Monken, and others. 

Also, something I forgot about: he was Troy’s QB coach in 2010. 

Archived