2019 Transfer Portal Thread

ellitor

On 3/25/2019 at 7:49 AM, aujeff11 said:

Gary Patterson makes over $5M a year coaching football!! It is no wonder he doesn't want to change anything about college football.  I imagine most of the head coaches want to keep the gravy train running as it is now.  Coaches walk away from contracts all the time and stiff the school and don't give a dang about the "student-athletes" they leave behind.  Oh yeah, and they don't have to sit out a year before they coach at another school.  Why is that?  

The coaches lie and deceive 18-year-old kids during recruiting and then when they get them signed, they can treat them however they like.  If the kid wants to transfer, he has to sit out a year.  How is that right for the kid you are so worried about Gary?  If you treat them fairly and are honest up front with them, they probably won't want to leave, but if they do, wish them well and hope they succeed wherever they go.  Athletics is about learning sportsmanship, competitive endeavors, and having fun, right? It should not be about winning at all costs and screwing the students over as the coaches get super rich!

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, LakeBum said:

Gary Patterson makes over $5M a year coaching football!! It is no wonder he doesn't want to change anything about college football.  I imagine most of the head coaches want to keep the gravy train running as it is now.  Coaches walk away from contracts all the time and stiff the school and don't give a dang about the "student-athletes" they leave behind.  Oh yeah, and they don't have to sit out a year before they coach at another school.  Why is that?  

The coaches lie and deceive 18-year-old kids during recruiting and then when they get them signed, they can treat them however they like.  If the kid wants to transfer, he has to sit out a year.  How is that right for the kid you are so worried about Gary?  If you treat them fairly and are honest up front with them, they probably won't want to leave, but if they do, wish them well and hope they succeed wherever they go.  Athletics is about learning sportsmanship, competitive endeavors, and having fun, right? It should not be about winning at all costs and screwing the students over as the coaches get super rich!

tenor.gif

1 hour ago, LakeBum said:

Coaches walk away from contracts all the time and stiff the school and don't give a dang about the "student-athletes" they leave behind.  

They get fired a lot too. The coaches have to run a program that meets tbe needs of their players, but they also have to bring tbe bread to the table. There is a delicate balance. Coaches have tried to screw over athletes before and unless they are Nick Saban, it adversely affects their recruiting and ultimately their ability to bring the bread home to tbe table. 

1 hour ago, LakeBum said:

I imagine most of the head coaches want to keep the gravy train running as it is now.

The abolishment of the one year residence rule would more than likely negatively affect many head coaches as well and in much deeper ways than just acclimating to a new school without football for a year. And the coaches like Gary Patterson would probably gain from the abolishment of the rule. Don’t think he’s being self centered on this one.

On 3/21/2019 at 4:17 PM, AlaskanFAN said:

Any chance we go after Alabama native, RB Tae Provens from LSU?

Nope, just got charged with Rape of an unconscious women.

21 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

I would really like to see how this portal goes into action when a coach is fired.  

Don't reckon we'll have to wait long. 

Edit: I don't mean "we" as in Auburn specifically. 

On 4/4/2019 at 9:33 AM, auskip07 said:

I would really like to see how this portal goes into action when a coach is fired.  

There is always a little more turnover after a coaching change, but usually not dramatic. One major time of the year for transfers is right now, when guys see that they aren't capable of moving up the depth chart during spring practice. Look for a few more to bail out before or at the end of this school term.

16 hours ago, Mikey said:

There is always a little more turnover after a coaching change, but usually not dramatic. One major time of the year for transfers is right now, when guys see that they aren't capable of moving up the depth chart during spring practice. Look for a few more to bail out before or at the end of this school term.

That's been the history...wonder if that will change now that it appears that transfer players will be able to play immediately.   Will be interesting to see what happens at the end of the coming season. 

And maybe more than usual after spring practices too....looking easier to do. 

From an AL.com article: 

On Thursday, Pearl was asked about the idea of his players making money — against NCAA regulations — in the context of this USA Today article getting published.

Below was his answer.

"I think we’ve made a lot of progress about creating a more realistic scholarship because the cost of attendance. We’ve made a lot of progress in that area. It’s very difficult to value a college basketball player that’s playing in the Final Four or a quarterback that’s playing on an SEC team and a cross country runner or somebody that’s involved in a non-revenue sport. They’re both student-athletes.

"One of the things I love about Auburn is our student-athletes eat in the same place, they train the same areas. We recognize how hard all student-athletes have to work. In fact, I was talking to the football team the other day, and I said, one of the things I admire about you guys as much as anything on this campus -- they could be intimidating. They’re bigger, stronger, tougher than anybody else -- they go to gymnastics meets. They recognize those gymnastics girls work as hard as they do or maybe even harder. It’s such a cool thing.

"And I complimented our football team for their leadership about not being -- they could be bullies, and they’re not. That said, we have to be able to understand the money’s changed in the last 20 years. I’m glad we’ve got a realistic scholarship. One thing I’d like to see them -- and listen, the system’s not broke. I knew Zion Williamson when he was a really good high school player in Spartanburg, South Carolina, and whatever his value was a year ago, it’s a lot more now having spent a year at Duke.

"That system’s not broke. I have taken teams to the NCAA Tournament, and families could not afford to go to see their kids play. That’s changed now. Our parents got to go to the Final Four. Money was put there. These things weren’t happening before. So because of efforts through folks like yourself that are encouraging, we should continue to make it, have them benefit more, these things are happening.

“And lastly, would I love to see a way for there to be some sort of annuity, some sort of a, look, the longer you stay, the more you would earn towards an annuity. Graduate, do these things, and it’s like -- it’s like, for me, if I invest in an annuity and I save that and keep it there, it builds over a period of time, and then maybe even saying, OK, and we may not give it to you.

"We may give you some when you graduate, but you know what, we’re going to help you invest. I don’t have all the answers. But those are the things I think we should talk about.”

• 2 weeks later...

NCAA relaxes transfer rules, opens immediate eligibility to athletes in certain situations

There have been a number of high profile undergraduate transfers who have received waivers to play immediately this offseason. In the future, though, waivers won't be necessary in every single case.

The NCAA Division I Council announced Friday that it has relaxed transfer rules for incoming freshmen athletes in certain situations, including those on teams that have made coaching changes. Incoming freshmen who enroll in summer school and receive financial aid can transfer and play immediately without a waiver if their coach leaves prior to the first day of fall classes. The rule only applies to those students who take their first semester of classes before the start of their first regular (non-summer) academic term, which means that it isn't applicable to football early enrollees.

Walk-ons who receive financial aid and non-recruited walk-ons can also leave without sitting out. The new rules go into effect for student-athletes who transfer to new schools this fall.

"It's definitely a win in our books," Enna Selmanovic, NCAA Division I student-athlete advisory committee vice chair and a former swimmer at Cincinnati, said. "(Allowing student-athletes in certain situations to transfer and play immediately) provides student-athletes with more opportunities to have the best experience possible within their collegiate career."

The rule was conceived by the Division I Transfer Working Group.

It's another move in a series of decisions by the NCAA that has freed up players to explore other options before receiving degrees. The transfer portal allows players to input their names into a system and speak freely with coaches from other schools and has become one of the hottest topics of the offseason. Two seasons ago, the NCAA relaxed its transfer rules and awarded waivers to players with "documented mitigating circumstances that are outside the student-athlete's control and directly impact the health, safety and well-being of the student-athlete."

The Council defeated another proposal that would have made schools count financial aid for some postgraduate transfers against team scholarship limits for two years, even if the student stayed enrolled in graduate school after exhausting athletic eligibility. 

Departing gifts such as the four delivered by Dameyune can now be a thing in the past if the kids enroll in the summer. Would not help Cam’Ron as he enrolled early. 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ncaa-relaxes-transfer-rules-opens-immediate-eligibility-to-athletes-in-certain-situations/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

This will probably give some players more reasoning to wait until summer instead of enrolling early, but in reality, how many coaches leave in the summer right before the season starts?  The movement period for coaches is December through February

They might as well just open the doors to unlimited transfers without having to sit out a year. Anybody that even threatens to get a lawyer gets a waiver anyway... I don't like it but that's the way the NCAA is heading.

I would allow one “open transfer” and one transfer regardless if an open transfer has happened to Grad Transfers.  

So each player receives an open release to transfer and remain eligible to play the next season.   

I would not pay players more than the Scholly now,  but that Scholly is also available to return to and finish school like AU does with many former players.  If a player open transfer away, then the remaining future Scholly is voided.  

14 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Not a good look for the NCAA again:

But yet the likes of Shea Patterson, Tate Martel and Justin Fields can play immediately.........."documented mitigating circumstances that are outside the student-athlete's control and directly impact the health, safety and well-being of the student-athlete." 

16 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Not a good look for the NCAA again:

Yeah this sucks to high heaven. NCAA is a damn joke. Kid needs to get Thomas Mars as his lawyer.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2019 at 10:47 PM, Roos said:

Who will be chasing Offensive lineman especially tackles? 

we need help there, asap! 

There's another thread about an O-lineman transferring from Western Kentucky. Last name of Cone, but I think he's a guard. 6'5" or 6'6". Only 19 according to his bio.

Bad look for Mullen.  Chris Steele is now transferring too.:

11 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Damn. Glass houses much, DannyBoy? 

Not cool. Really wish these were accusations of theft or drugs or vandalism or something else that was even a little humorous. 

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Damn. Glass houses much, DannyBoy? 

Not cool. Really wish these were accusations of theft or drugs or vandalism or something else that was even a little humorous. 

UGA already spoke for those accusations so Florida had to go with what was left.  It was either this or terrorism accusations.

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

From what I’ve read Chris Steele is leaving over Florida not moving him out of the dorm room when he asked to stop rooming with Jalen Jones. Feel bad for him if he was trying to get out of that environment.

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

From what I’ve read Chris Steele is leaving over Florida not moving him out of the dorm room when he asked to stop rooming with Jalen Jones. Feel bad for him if he was trying to get out of that environment.

If that is truly the case,  I hope AU gives him an opportunity. 

3 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

If that is truly the case,  I hope AU gives him an opportunity. 

Same. He will probably retreat to his home state of California unless Dabo’s boys miraculously bumps into him at the airport. 

Take consideration this is from SDS. If true, Mullen screwed up big time. 

As if losing Bowman weren’t bad enough, the Gators received even more awful news earlier Thursday when the story broke that Chris Steele, the crown jewel of Florida’s 2019 recruiting class and one of the most promising players in spring practice, announced he would transfer without ever playing a down in Gainesville.

Steele entered the transfer portal, citing, according to the Gainesville Sun’s Zach Alboverdi, a dispute with the coaches over a roommate situation, as the reason. The roommate? Jalon Jones.

Alboverdi reported, and SDS confirmed through multiple sources, including one with the University Police Department, that Steele had concerns about Jones that predated the early April sexual battery incidents wherein Jones was implicated.

Steele, who is listed in the police reports as a prospective witness on account of living with Jones, expressed concern about Jones’ behaviors to the Florida coaching staff as early as late January, per SDS sources. According to Alboverdi’s report, Steele asked to be assigned a different roommate, citing his own concerns about getting into trouble by association. The staff punted on the request, telling Steele they would move him in the summer.

As it turns out, Steele was right, and the summer was too late.

The whole incident infuriated Steele’s family, who encouraged him to come home to California.

If you are Chris Steele or his family, the decision makes sense, both financially and from a common-sense safety standpoint.

Notice the last three words. Easy transfer waiver. 

Archived