2019 Transfer Portal Thread

ellitor

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are the rules on tampering? How does a kid go in the transfer portal and announce within 24 hours where he’s going unless the school has already set it up? 

My point is - why does Auburn never get these kids that we finish in the top 2 or 3 during the original recruitment? How can we we do a better job and get them the 2nd go round? 

18 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

What are the rules on tampering?

School can't officially contact the player until the kid's name is in the portal. Back channeling can still be done though through contacts.

20 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

How does a kid go in the transfer portal and announce within 24 hours where he’s going unless the school has already set it up? 

It's possible that contacts for KM reached out to UNC before his name was in the portal.

22 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

why does Auburn never get these kids that we finish in the top 2 or 3 during the original recruitment?

A couple things. 1. A lot of times AU doesn't go back after the kid the 2nd time around. 2. It's not just an AU thing. I've noticed in most transfer cases the new school who lands the recruit was not a finalist or not involved much, it at all, in the recruitment the first time in the vast majority of the cases.

26 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

How can we we do a better job and get them the 2nd go round? 

Would require us going after them the 2nd time around much more than we do. A thing to remember here is a kid's rating in HS does not mean the kid will pan out to expectations in college. In most cases there is college film on the kids allowing the staff's to reassess the kids college film to see if they liked them as much as they did the 1st time.

Man UNC is the best I have ever seen at scooping kids up as soon as they go in to the transfer portal!!! lol. Didn't they also get our DB from Virginia a few months ago?

4556.gif

10 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Didn't they also get our DB from Virginia a few months ago?

He basically went there straight from AU to be close to his family because there was a family issue & he wanted to be close to home.

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Auburn Kev said:

Unless he did something terrible (ie. more than just failed drug test) to be dismissed I would love to see him suit up in O&B.

5 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Unless he did something terrible (ie. more than just failed drug test) to be dismissed I would love to see him suit up in O&B.

He did.  He was arrested for it.  Can't eat enough ice cream to deal with that.

4 minutes ago, The Freak said:

He did.  He was arrested for it.  Can't eat enough ice cream to deal with that.

Arrested for what?  Pot?  If so, so was Nick Marshall.

edit: technically Nick was cited and not arrested but it would be the same offense.  Simple possession should not be enough to ruin someone's career.

13 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

edit: technically Nick was cited and not arrested but it would be the same offense.  Simple possession should not be enough to ruin someone's career.

Also, let's not forget that Nick was booted from uga's team for participating in theft from one of his own teammates. 

And "getting arrested" for weed doesn't necessarily mean anything other than he just crossed paths with the wrong cop at the wrong time. These kids smoke weed. It's crazy that folks still get worked up about it. 

If it was harder drugs, or if there was some sort of intent to distribute situation or something, then it's a bigger conversation for me. 

Knowing KS's win at all cost mentality, I'd say it was something else. Also knowing Gus' feelings on character, I'd say it ain't gonna happen.

23 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Also, let's not forget that Nick was booted from uga's team for participating in theft from one of his own teammates. 

And "getting arrested" for weed doesn't necessarily mean anything other than he just crossed paths with the wrong cop at the wrong time. These kids smoke weed. It's crazy that folks still get worked up about it. 

If it was harder drugs, or if there was some sort of intent to distribute situation or something, then it's a bigger conversation for me. 

I read elsewhere he had a bad attitude and recently got beat out at his position which made it worse.  On top of the weed this Spring, he was also the one that got in a shoving match on the side line with his own team mate when they were playing MTSU last year. 

Basically sounds like another 5* thinking they don't have to work. 

11 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

I read elsewhere he had a bad attitude and recently got beat out at his position which made it worse.  On top of the weed this Spring, he was also the one that got in a shoving match on the side line with his own team mate when they were playing MTSU last year. 

Yeah, that kind of stuff makes it much different for me. Hard pass if true. Especially given the talent- and character- we've stockpiled in his position group. 

14 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

Basically sounds like another 5* thinking they don't have to work. 

Word I saw from a couple with strong track records on info is he got caught on the weed & was going to be suspended for 2 games. Decided to transfer when told of the suspension.

Tray Matthews had attitude problems before coming to AU. Sometimes being kicked off a team is the best thing for a player. See Duke Williams! Hope Cox turns it around somewhere even if not at AU

13 minutes ago, DonDraper said:

Tray Matthews had attitude problems before coming to AU. Sometimes being kicked off a team is the best thing for a player. See Duke Williams! Hope Cox turns it around somewhere even if not at AU

He wasn't kicked off. He decided to transfer instead of facing a suspension.

1 hour ago, dyehardfanAU said:

I'm not arguing about a pot arrest.  Just saying it was more than a failed drug test. 

Personally, I could care less about pot.  I don't think they should even be tested for it anymore.

25 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

@ellitor is there any chance the staff shows interests towards Brenton Cox? havent used this forum long so IDK where else to put this

@Dual-Threat Rigby It's being discussed in the transfer portal thread. And since he decided to take his ball & run home by transferring instead of taking the 2 game suspension he was going to get I doubt Gus will take him.

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 4:43 AM, ellitor said:

Regardless of where he was listed as a recruit he’s only played corner so far at LSU.  And yes we do need corners down the line as well.  I’m all for him if his character checks out with the staff.

For every second chance guy that was successful, you can probably name at least one who turned out to be a wasted scholly.  JMO but when a school like  LSU suspends a guy you better dig deep to be sure you have all the facts.   Cam and Nick for example,  spent a year in purgatory before coming to AU and proved they had gotten squared away. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived