2019 Transfer Portal Thread

ellitor

There is an OT from Illini that is worth looking into. He is Larry Boyd. He has is a RS sophomore with nice size  6-6 310 lbs. Is he someone on our radar?

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, doc4aday said:

There is an OT from Illini that is worth looking into. He is Larry Boyd. He has is a RS sophomore with nice size  6-6 310 lbs. Is he someone on our radar?

I know we are looking at some Illinois transfer OL. I can't say which ones at this time though.

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

I know we are looking at some Illinois transfer OL. I can't say which ones at this time though.

Plenty to choose from. You would hope the Illini are looking for a new oline coach too

Clean up on isles 6, 7, & what was 8. Troll talk moved to All Things Considered & per request the never-ending OL debate has been moved to the OL thread.

Very interesting article, and something I hadn't really thought about. For all of you freaking out about this scary new world of college free agency, maybe this will get you out of your fee-fees: there won't be enough scholarships available for guys to transfer at the rate that you're conjuring up in your imaginations. (Some other salient points in there, too.)

https://www.si.com/college-football/2019/02/18/transfer-portal-scholarship-limits-initial-counter-rule

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Very interesting article, and something I hadn't really thought about. For all of you freaking out about this scary new world of college free agency, maybe this will get you out of your fee-fees: there won't be enough scholarships available for guys to transfer at the rate that you're conjuring up in your imaginations. (Some other salient points in there, too.)

https://www.si.com/college-football/2019/02/18/transfer-portal-scholarship-limits-initial-counter-rule

Yup. I covered this in the Understanding Initial Counter & Signing Rules thread as well as a number of times when answering initial counter questions. Players wanting to transfer need to find out ahead of time if their current coach will take them back if they put their names in the portal & decide not to leave as well as going through back channels to find out if colleges of interest have room to add the player under the 25 limit.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Players wanting to transfer need to find out ahead of time if their current coach will take them back if they put their names in the portal & decide not to leave

Great point.....expect that a good number of players in the portal will leave with their coaches blessings...maybe even some subtle encouragement.    Also expect however, that a coach would catch hell if he declined to take a guy back....but would be wise for the player to know everything of that sort. 

11 minutes ago, Roos said:

which brings to mind Calvin Ashley, what if nobody wants him? what then?

I asked this same question and was told that if he doesn't transfer then as long as he is still in school he could be playing for AU next year.

thanks I kinda thought transfer players would have to stay where they were if they didn't get an offer from someone else and of course accept it. 

Just now, Roos said:

thanks I kinda thought transfer players would have to stay where they were if they didn't get an offer from someone else and of course accept it. 

I question how the team would react to them but yeah I think that is the premise.  Kind of like kid leaving for NFL early and not getting drafted....  Sucks to be him!

10 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

I asked this same question and was told that if he doesn't transfer then as long as he is still in school he could be playing for AU next year.

Hey, let's be honest. We're in no position to play jilted when it comes to any offensive tackle. 

26 minutes ago, Roos said:

which brings to mind Calvin Ashley, what if nobody wants him? what then?

A team will take him even if it's a smaller school closer to his home.

16 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

At the same time however the football team isn't forced to take him back. Athletic scholarships are 1 year agreements or contracts, renewed each year at the discretion of the HC.

17 minutes ago, Roos said:

Nope & as stated above their teams aren't forced to take them back either. Speaks to Loof's point in his OP in that potentential transfers are taking a risk.

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Hey, let's be honest. We're in no position to play jilted when it comes to any offensive tackle. 

Except CA is just as likely to end up at OG.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

At the same time however the football team isn't forced to take him back. Athletic scholarships are 1 year agreements or contracts, renewed each year at the discretion of the HC.

That's the point....the player loses his scholly but and this is JMO, no matter how bad a guy might look at school A, there is probably always a school B or C or D who thinks he might fill a need.  

The issue could be that school B or C or D is not that appealing.   But I'm thinking that once a guy has made the step into the portal, he is not likely to turn down any reasonable offer where he might get to play :dunno:

24 minutes ago, AU64 said:

there is probably always a school B or C or D who thinks he might fill a need.   

Exactly. Transfer portal is kind of a way to resort players to a more appropriate level if they had been over estimated by college staffs.

28 minutes ago, AU64 said:

But I'm thinking that once a guy has made the step into the portal, he is not likely to turn down any reasonable offer where he might get to play

Yup!

I think transfer Portal works well for two types of players.  The player who was over rated or doesn't fit the system he is currently in so a move to a better system or a lower level would help him and the other is kid who didn't get the big offers but who has blossomed and wants a chance to play at bigger school and be seen.

12 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I think transfer Portal works well for two types of players.  The player who was over rated or doesn't fit the system he is currently in so a move to a better system or a lower level would help him and the other is kid who didn't get the big offers but who has blossomed and wants a chance to play at bigger school and be seen.

JMO but watching transfers in recent years (not grad transfers) most seem to move down a step when they transfer.....or lateral at best if playing time is the issue.   The concept is probably tailor made for guys like Ashley.   If players can move in the future without sitting out a year we might see more lateral moves though where playing time is immediate...like Fields....and probably Martell.  

GTs seem to have more opportunity to cash in two or three years of playing time and step up for their last season ….like the couple we've brought in lately. 

Any interest in Parker Braun OL transfer from Georgia Tech? If for no other reason than his last name “Braun”, which we need some of on our OL!

9 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

the other is kid who didn't get the big offers but who has blossomed and wants a chance to play at bigger school and be seen.

I just don't see that happening very often. The NFL is finding first rounders at tiny schools these days. Not many guys are going to leave a situation where they're putting up big numbers/producing so that they can go get in a position battle at a P5 school IMO. GTs would be the exception. 

28 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I just don't see that happening very often. The NFL is finding first rounders at tiny schools these days. Not many guys are going to leave a situation where they're putting up big numbers/producing so that they can go get in a position battle at a P5 school IMO. GTs would be the exception. 

I agree. It's simply amazing, when watching an NFL game, and OL starters announce their college, and I go...where the heck is that college?

45 minutes ago, toddc said:

Any interest in Parker Braun OL transfer from Georgia Tech? If for no other reason than his last name “Braun”, which we need some of on our OL!

@toddc

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

@toddc

Thanks! I saw it right after I asked.

Archived