Mike Gundy - Oklahoma State

PowerOfDixieland

Contract was extended through 2023 and will make over $5 Million this year.  I really like him but he ain't worth that....wondering if Jay Jacobs is consulting with the Pokes on this?  I'm telling you it would be miserable to be an Oklahoma State fan.

I hear people lust over him every time we get fire happy. His records are not impressive. Actually his record isn’t bad. His finishing is not good.

He has been their coach for 13 years and is 121 - 56.   Winning championship shouldn’t be that barometer of success. Having a consistent program and driving towards championships should be.  Who do you get To replace him?  There isn’t some magic wizard who will come in and move them from 10 and 3 to 15 and 0. The going rate is 5 million he is being paid what he is worth.  They have  a lot of starters coming back next year I can see them competing for the Big 12 title. 

22 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Contract was extended through 2023 and will make over $5 Million this year.  I really like him but he ain't worth that....wondering if Jay Jacobs is consulting with the Pokes on this?  I'm telling you it would be miserable to be an Oklahoma State fan.

They have T. Boone Pickens, we dont...lol

On 1/11/2019 at 8:45 AM, PowerOfDixieland said:

Nah, sister is a Ok State grad. Spent good bit of time in Stillwater. They have more fun than us lol.

You have to give him something, especially since other schools are sniffing around. Tenn offered him over 6 million a year. 5 million isn't really much these days for coaches that are winning 10 games the majority of their seasons.

On 1/12/2019 at 4:21 PM, Texan4Auburn said:

5 million isn't really much these days for coaches that are winning 10 games the majority of their seasons.

$5 Million puts him in the top ten highest paid college coaches, and second highest paid in the Big 12.

13 seasons Gundy has had OSU finish in the AP top ten once.

Football program runs middle of the Big 12 in terms of profitability

I really like the guy, not knocking him at all.  I think the mullet says a ton about his character (obviously doesn't take himself too seriously).  Not to mention what lengths he'll go to promote the other athletic teams in Stillwater...he's the kind of coach I would have loved to play for.

https://www.businessinsider.com/25-highest-paid-college-football-coaches-in-the-country-2018-11#10-scott-frost-5000000-16

https://pistolsfiringblog.com/big-12-football-schools-ranked-by-revenue/

Related image

On 1/11/2019 at 9:45 AM, PowerOfDixieland said:

He is the best coach in the program's history, and they seem to have reasonable expectations.  Their recruiting rankings are usually in the 30's and 40's, but he still consistently puts together teams that go toe-to-toe with anyone.  His program would be a monster if they were able to pull in talent like Oklahoma and Texas can.  I think he is worth it for Oklahoma State, as they would have a difficult time finding anyone proven to be better.

Archived