Patient Purifoy Pissed

tigeraddikt

He has nothing to gain from whining via social media. I don't watch enough to know if he should play more or not. But i do know we were better last year with what most call less talent than this year. being a crybaby won't help anyone.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, KolchakAU85 said:

I don't have the credentials of Jay Bilas or Bill Walton, but I think we may have seen the last of DP in an AU uniform.

IMO just a matter of time before the "DP is no longer with the team" story breaks.

10 hours ago, tigeraddikt said:

IMO just a matter of time before the "DP is no longer with the team" story breaks.

probably true and also probably too late for a transfer....so best hope is some lower level international team to try and build up some creds.?  

Not sure what he knew about the payoff issue with Chuck P ...but for what seems to be peanuts, he has really screwed up his life. ..and do I recall it was his mother who got the money?    What a mess....☹️   JMO but he seems like an unsophisticated guy who got into a mess and does not know how to get out of it. 

I just hate the whole situation. Although both he and Wiley were caught up in the same issue, I imagine Austin has a better support system and has been able to move on a little better. I agree with others, it does appear his time here is about over. I won’t jump to conclusions and I hope it isn’t, but common sense says it’s happening sooner than later. 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

probably true and also probably too late for a transfer....so best hope is some lower level international team to try and build up some creds.?  

Not sure what he knew about the payoff issue with Chuck P ...but for what seems to be peanuts, he has really screwed up his life. ..and do I recall it was his mother who got the money?    What a mess....☹️   JMO but he seems like an unsophisticated guy who got into a mess and does not know how to get out of it. 

I think the only thing he can do is put in the work necessary to get better and stay in school.

This should explain everything for him:

He isn't playing because he is out of playing shape, and behind on the depth chart.

He is out of playing shape and behind on the depth chart because he was suspended.

He was suspended because he broke the rules and accepted money.

He willingly accepted money to play knowing it was against NCAA rules.  If he wants someone to blame, it's himself.  For all we know, the discord we have seen this season with the team may be because of him pitching these fits.  It has to come into play somehow with that small of a locker room.

36 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

This should explain everything for him:

He isn't playing because he is out of playing shape, and behind on the depth chart.

He is out of playing shape and behind on the depth chart because he was suspended.

He was suspended because he broke the rules and accepted money.

He willingly accepted money to play knowing it was against NCAA rules.  If he wants someone to blame, it's himself.  For all we know, the discord we have seen this season with the team may be because of him pitching these fits.  It has to come into play somehow with that small of a locker room.

We won't know if the last part is true until someone from the team says so. You nailed it on the other points. You know what they say about life...it's 10% what's happens to you and 90% how you deal with it. Wiley overcame the same issue. McLemore had a different kind of adversity to overcome that wasn't self afflicted. They did the work because they had the right attitude about it. I hope DP gets some guidance to turn things around but he's burning bridges in Auburn at an alarming rate right now. 

Yiiiikes the social media part of it makes me cringe. I feel bad for the spot he's in and what could have been but he took a shot on being part of AU's foundation and turning AU into a legitimate basketball program and he was a pretty highly rated recruit. If I recall he committed to us very quickly after Bruce was hired. I am pulling for him. His freshman highlights are pretty good, he looks a lot lighter on his feet in those. If he can find his legs again I think he can be a true asset. For us or someone else.

What are his options at this point? He can transfer a level down and put up some stats or He can work his butt off and get ready for next year as our SF spot will be a question mark with Dunbar leaving (I hope Samir doesn't stay at the 3 next year). It will be Okoro and maybe/hopefully Purifoy. The idea of having good-Danjel starting at 3 with a freshman off the bench is not bad..But outside of those 2 choices what can he really do? Try his hand at pro ball somewhere with zero up to date film on him? 

I think regardless of who comes back, Okoro is gonna be the starter at the 3 next year. Danjel’s kind of in a bind. His best chance of starting next year is at the 4 if Okeke goes pro, which is looking more and more unlikely with the way he’s been playing 

I really hate the way things are turning out for Purifoy. He could have just left after the suspension but stayed. I wish the best for him whatever happens.

bottom line Dunbar has played so well coming off the bench, offensively and defensively, that it has kept Purifoy from getting minutes. 

And as Pearl has said, he has 9-10 guys now that are playing well enough to stay ahead of Purifoy.  

I sense after the last 2 games in which Purifoy hasn't seen any minutes, that Pearl will only be playing him if someone gets hurt or plays consistently bad.. Pearl can't afford to put him in and disrupt his current substitution. 

1 hour ago, Gene Loblaw said:

I think regardless of who comes back, Okoro is gonna be the starter at the 3 next year. Danjel’s kind of in a bind. His best chance of starting next year is at the 4 if Okeke goes pro, which is looking more and more unlikely with the way he’s been playing 

I would love for Okoro to be an SEC starting caliber SF next year but expecting that from a freshman may be tough. I'm pretty concerned about our SG and SF spots next year. Samir and Flanagan at the 2 I assume - Samir should theoretically improve but a 3* kid behind him as his primary backup. Then at 3 it'll be Okoro and a grad transfer maybe unless Jelly comes back. We are going to have a lot of young guys having to get some serious minutes next year to close out the Jared Harper era. I hope we are able to give Turbo Jones the backup 1 minutes and he can grow while being a positive contributor on the court rather than give J'Von the backup PG time (nothing against J'Von at all, he can be a good player (his performance vs NC State was crucial for us staying in the game, just taking a long view here) Ideally I want Jones to be as experienced as a sophomore as possible when it's his time to take the reigns of the team. But who knows how it will all shake out.

1 minute ago, Tiger said:

I would love for Okoro to be an SEC starting caliber SF next year but expecting that from a freshman may be tough. I'm pretty concerned about our SG and SF spots next year. Samir and Flanagan at the 2 I assume - Samir should theoretically improve but a 3* kid behind him as his primary backup. Then at 3 it'll be Okoro and a grad transfer maybe unless Jelly comes back. We are going to have a lot of young guys having to get some serious minutes next year to close out the Jared Harper era. I hope we are able to give Turbo Jones the backup 1 minutes and he can grow while being a positive contributor on the court rather than give J'Von the backup PG time (nothing against J'Von at all, he can be a good player (his performance vs NC State was crucial for us staying in the game, just taking a long view here) Ideally I want Jones to be as experienced as a sophomore as possible when it's his time to take the reigns of the team. But who knows how it will all shake out.

Jamal Johnson, the transfer from Memphis that’s sitting out this year, could easily be the starter at the 2 next year. And Bruce May just keep Samir where he is and continue to play 3 guards like he’s been doing 

4 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Jamal Johnson, the transfer from Memphis that’s sitting out this year, could easily be the starter at the 2 next year. And Bruce May just keep Samir where he is and continue to play 3 guards like he’s been doing 

Ah, I forgot about Jamal Johnson! What's his game like? Shooter? Slasher? Defender?

1 minute ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Whatever....BP has to play for this year and figure out what to do with the guys he has.   Not sure what the scheme is but guys like McCormick and Dunbar kind of come and go and ,,both good at NCSU and less time since then?  

8 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Ah, I forgot about Jamal Johnson! What's his game like? Shooter? Slasher? Defender?

He shot four threes a game as a freshman at Memphis. Word is that he’s a pretty good shooter but it’s hard to find any clips of him at Memphis. His high school highlights suggest that he can elevate and finish at the rim. I was hoping to see him in the Toomer’s exhibition thing but we obviously have to wait. I’d expect him to play a lot though. Every one of the true transfers that Bruce has brought in (D Murray, Samir, and Canty) have all been important starters

7 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

He shot four threes a game as a freshman at Memphis. Word is that he’s a pretty good shooter but it’s hard to find any clips of him at Memphis. His high school highlights suggest that he can elevate and finish at the rim. I was hoping to see him in the Toomer’s exhibition thing but we obviously have to wait. I’d expect him to play a lot though. Every one of the true transfers that Bruce has brought in (D Murray, Samir, and Canty) have all been important starters

I completely forgot about him. Glad we have a guy on campus right now who will be part of the SG rotation next year in addition to Samir.

As far as rocking with the 3 guard lineup, I hope Samir is able to guard 3s in the SEC moving forward. We will see. He gives up a lot of size out there against SFs. 

There's nobody playing on an extreme high level, unless Pearl stays loyal to people in spite of production there is plenty of opportunity for him to play. Just have to see if Pearl can handle the situation or not.

I still find it hilarious anybody can be all over DP because he didn't produce on the bench and in the same breath brag on starters who play all the time and can literally go several games and not show anything. 

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

I completely forgot about him. Glad we have a guy on campus right now who will be part of the SG rotation next year in addition to Samir.

As far as rocking with the 3 guard lineup, I hope Samir is able to guard 3s in the SEC moving forward. We will see. He gives up a lot of size out there against SFs. 

This is another reason why the defense isn't the same. You can see it

Purifoy is an enigma to me. Before he got hurt originally he was a very good player. When he came back he was an ok player but no longer attacked the rim. I assumed he was not completely healed. Then the suspension. I know that had to be super hard on him but he stuck with it and stuck with Auburn so I have to give him Kudos for that.  What got me though is how out of shape he was.  I realize practice is not the same as a game, but there is awful lot you can do on your own to stay in shape. 

I am sure every Auburn basketball player was on campus this summer working on their game.  I will guarantee you even though coaches couldn't work with them they all worked on things and they played pick up games with each others and with other gym  rats. It seems like him to be as heavy as they said at beginning of practice he must not have worked very hard which to me is surprising for a guy who stuck around through all his troubles. I want a light to come on for him as a reward for staying with us.

I really hope we dont run the 3 guards thing again, especially when they're all relatively small and not doing great on D this year

only way this works is when the guards are all hitting 3s well, and they haven't done that consistently enough

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

its a strategy you can employ if the other guard is just a freakishly gifted athlete physically - primarily in the arms department (Jrue Holiday namely). Samir is someone you want defending 2s and can do well enough against 1s. Dont think hes awful defensively, but he just doesnt matchup without fouling against good 3s 

16 hours ago, cole256 said:

13 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

its a strategy you can employ if the other guard is just a freakishly gifted athlete physically - primarily in the arms department (Jrue Holiday namely). Samir is someone you want defending 2s and can do well enough against 1s. Dont think hes awful defensively, but he just doesnt matchup without fouling against good 3s 

We're so small at the 1 and 2 that without compensating for that lack of height/length at the 3 it hurts us on D.

On 1/12/2019 at 12:38 PM, cole256 said:

Ever since he came back most you on this thread went directly to slamming him, while at the same time getting upset of any criticism to other players. Seems like the only people that can really get checked on this team is DP and Wiley when in actuality nobody on the team has really been solid.

I would say this on the football board but it holds true to all team sports really if you want to see a player get upset quickly it's not just playing time, it's lack of playing time when people that are playing aren't as good as you. I'm surprised Dunbar isn't upset yet either. You outplay people in practice it's hard to watch them play during the game. To be blunt the people getting all the minutes haven't shown they deserve them

Bingo

Archived