Patient Purifoy Pissed

tigeraddikt

The crying on social media will cause people on the team to lose respect as far as doughty starting over him at 3.....there are few programs that would do that. That would be aggravating. As far as Dunbar he better step his game up

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He doesn't get it. DP's actions last year put the Auburn basketball program in jeopardy. It was selfish and he knew better. Bruce could possibly have lost his job over this and therefore the rest of the coaching staff too. He let his team down. His coming in reportedly out of shape didn't help his case to play. Now he has taken to social media with his complaints about not playing. He needs to learn that his actions have consequences. He is still letting his team down. They will be successful without him on the court. They might be more successful with him but the world may never know and he only has to look in the mirror to know who is responsible. 

16 hours ago, cole256 said:

The crying on social media will cause people on the team to lose respect as far as doughty starting over him at 3.....there are few programs that would do that. That would be aggravating. As far as Dunbar he better step his game up

Curious why you think Purifoy is better then then the guys that are ahead of him? Measurables.....old tape......word from practices....you been playing pick up games with him? Honest question.

I personally haven't seen anything to get excited about with his play but i also will fully give you that he has not gotten enough opportunity in games to actually show whether he can or cannot play. So at this point i'm assuming Pearl is playing who he feels gives us the best chance to win. If there is one thing i count on its that coaches play who they THINK is the best players or makes the team the best. Because their livelihood depends on them player who they think gives them the best chance to win. At least at the college level.....probably more politics play into it at the AAU and high school level. 

53 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Curious why you think Purifoy is better then then the guys that are ahead of him? Measurables.....old tape......word from practices....you been playing pick up games with him? Honest question.

I personally haven't seen anything to get excited about with his play but i also will fully give you that he has not gotten enough opportunity in games to actually show whether he can or cannot play. So at this point i'm assuming Pearl is playing who he feels gives us the best chance to win. If there is one thing i count on its that coaches play who they THINK is the best players or makes the team the best. Because their livelihood depends on them player who they think gives them the best chance to win. At least at the college level.....probably more politics play into it at the AAU and high school level. 

Because of some of the stuff you said. I don't think you forget how to play, another thing is because of the play of the people ahead of him. I don't think it's mind boggling to think he's better than 7 or 8 points and 2 rebounds maybe? He posted better numbers than that when he was a freshman. Then just from intangible stuff I know from playing basketball. If it was a clear cut this guy is better than the other he wouldn't say it. It would be embarrassing for him to. It would be a joke.

Lastly I can't explain it all the time, I just know what I know. When I said the stuff about Dunbar the beginning of the season you could've asked am I scrimmaging against them to but now everybody is saying it. Just seems like I see stuff before a bunch of people

Dunbar has the highest PER on the team so far in conference play by a wide wide margin. He deserves more minutes before Danjel gets any imo. And even though Horace isn’t a big time offensive threat like DP, he’s an unselfish team leader who rebounds like crazy. Can’t take his minutes away either at the 4. It is what it is

I’ll add ... the only comparison this year is how CBP slow played minutes to Wiley.  Wiley’s play even in limited minutes deserved more minutes - even when Amac was not playing well but was getting max time.

DP did not make his 6-7 minutes deserve to be 8-9 minutes and so on.

cbp flat said in the past that DP was the most nba potential ... now DP needs to man up and show it.  He had about 4 games to increase his limited minutes and he didn’t show it on the court and has made it worse, I’d assume, off the court.

nevermind the assumption that he came into the season unfit.  He should have been THE most ready to show everyone what he could do.

What were his stats for the game? I remember seeing him hit a three.  Was there. Don’t remember any other outstanding highlights.

10 hours ago, AUGoo said:

What were his stats for the game? I remember seeing him hit a three.  Was there. Don’t remember any other outstanding highlights.

JMO but don't think he improved his status on the team.  ...still looks like the ninth best player:dunno:

LolLol. Of all things to talk about this is what the focus is? I don't think you guys really are understanding how difficult basketball is. Look at Gordon Hayword, one of the best wings in the NBA, he sat out one year and he's still not the same with excellent coaching and a great team.....you guys literally want this guy to come off a 2 year break and be an NCAA first team player. I don't think there's a man capable. The BEST you could have hoped for was being a valuable member off the bench by time the NCAA tourney start

Thought Purifoy looked good when he was on the floor yesterday- hit a big three, had some energy on the defensive end. If he can keep his head straight (and maybe stay off of social media, lol) he will continue to improve. And, with Wiley out we need him and the extra minutes should be there for him. He’s better than Doughty, no question, to me at least.....

7 minutes ago, cole256 said:

LolLol. Of all things to talk about this is what the focus is? I don't think you guys really are understanding how difficult basketball is. Look at Gordon Hayword, one of the best wings in the NBA, he sat out one year and he's still not the same with excellent coaching and a great team.....you guys literally want this guy to come off a 2 year break and be an NCAA first team player. I don't think there's a man capable. The BEST you could have hoped for was being a valuable member off the bench by time the NCAA tourney start

No we are commenting that he's not helping the team. Why is another question. It probably is the long layoff. Like many said or thought, he should have done something other than sit around Auburn for 1& 1/2 seasons.

40 minutes ago, Mikey said:

No we are commenting that he's not helping the team. Why is another question. It probably is the long layoff. Like many said or thought, he should have done something other than sit around Auburn for 1& 1/2 seasons.

You could NEVER know if he's helping the team or not as far as behind the scenes. You don't know that he sataround and did nothing, I'm actually pretty sure that's not the case. As far as on the court it's a complete difference in play style and personnel. But I said this the beginning of the season unreal expectations will make people react this why to the most trivial things

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

JMO but don't think he improved his status on the team.  ...still looks like the ninth best player:dunno:

Our team is stacked af then. 

IIWII

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

That's a pretty big, critical assumption. 

Apparently he began the season overweight.  If your working your tail off then your not overweight when the first game starts.  That is on him.

i figured he’d get minutes like Wiley did.  And he did but didn’t earn additional minutes.  Last nights game, as a b-ball novice myself, appeared to be his best game.  I think he earned more minutes last night.  We think he’ll get 8-10 next game.  

Also!  He looked thinner to me ... but maybe that’s just wishful thinking.  I badly want DP to do well because it will improve the team.  Unfortunately for him, CBP loves Samir and that will make the minutes hard.  DP can’t just play well to get more minutes.  He’ll have to play with Spencer’s attitude to get more minutes 

5 hours ago, cole256 said:

Another example is Westbrook being out all pre-season, rushes into the season and got injured for the first few games.  Has been in a shooting funk all season because of it.  Everything else is fine

12 hours ago, cole256 said:

You could NEVER know if he's helping the team or not as far as behind the scenes.

Neither can you.

You don't know that he sataround and did nothing,

You don't know that he didn't.

I'm actually pretty sure that's not the case.

Everybody's free to guess.

He's still rusty as hell and practice started mid-October. Three months ago. He'd have been better off going somewhere he could have played last season and this. As mentioned above by several others, Purifoy isn't getting good advice, or else isn't listening to it.

12 hours ago, BigSammyK said:

That's a pretty big, critical assumption. 

Not all that critical. He should have gone somewhere that he could have played. Either a small school or tried the European circuit if he could make one of those teams. He lost a season and a half and all he gained from it was being rusty and left behind by the Auburn team.

11 hours ago, Mikey said:

He's still rusty as hell and practice started mid-October. Three months ago. He'd have been better off going somewhere he could have played last season and this. As mentioned above by several others, Purifoy isn't getting good advice, or else isn't listening to it.

For you to say you coached basketball and did all the other stuff you seem to be clueless of what basketball players do during the off season. Weird.

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

For you to say you coached basketball and did all the other stuff you seem to be clueless of what basketball players do during the off season. Weird.

What do they do?  Back in the day, basketball players played basketball in pick-up games or wherever they could play.  Most of those guys were gym rats and spent plenty of time staying in shape.   

The idea that a guy took a year or more off from some type of competitive basketball is hard to imagine for someone with a serious plan for his future.   

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

What do they do?  Back in the day, basketball players played basketball in pick-up games or wherever they could play.  Most of those guys were gym rats and spent plenty of time staying in shape.   

The idea that a guy took a year or more off from some type of competitive basketball is hard to imagine for someone with a serious plan for his future.   

That's the point, you don't know that. Nobody does. And yes your first paragraph is right, so you really think he didn't play any basketball for two years?? That's what you're going to choose to believe? 

As far as what I was saying to Mikey let's be honest you're not going to agree with me over him no matter how crazy some of the stuff he says. It's funny though because usually you and him are going to demand references and sources.....not about to start arguing about that again but anything about Gus you guys don't believe. It can be reporters or papers you still won't believe it.....but with this guy for whatever reason you guys believe every negative thing said about him and ran with it......both of you had bad stuff to say about him since he committed to come play for this school. 

But as far as DP nothing has been confirmed as far as all the stuff said about him. When in actuality if the stuff was true his teammates wouldn't even support him

6 minutes ago, cole256 said:

That's the point, you don't know that. Nobody does. And yes your first paragraph is right, so you really think he didn't play any basketball for two years?? That's what you're going to choose to believe? 

man….that's what you have been telling us for weeks as an "excuse" for his level of play.  ….all this about no play for 21 months and stuff like that. JMO but I never believed that ……and was surprised that you even thought that was possible. 

So if he's been working hard, being a typical college gym rat I'm wondering why he was not better prepared?   One thing for sure, BP pretty much lets the guys play and not enough pattern to the offense to make it difficult for him to fit in....and defense?....that's something where he just has to put in the effort.  

AMc  broke his frggin' leg a year ago  and look at him and the effort he is giving.  DP was supposed to be our best player a couple years ago....so where did that go?

I want him to be successful.....we need him to play well and if not start, at least hope he will  be able to come in for a while and maintain the level of play.  

Archived