Chip Lindsey Discusses Leaving Auburn

abw0004

33 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Don't know where you get that...Wilkins was a starting QB for four years including some the year before Chip arrived.  

I don't see what the years prior to CCL being there has anything to do with anything. 

Per: https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/auburn/2017/08/17/too-early-say-lindseys-arizona-state-qb-past-dictates-malik-willis-status/578077001/

In 2016, the Sun Devils started three quarterbacks after Manny Wilkins suffered multiple injuries throughout the season forcing ASU to turn to two freshmen under center while eventually spiraling down to a 5-7 record. Midway through the first quarter of what would turn out to be a 37-32 loss to Washington State, Wilkins suffered a right arm injury that forced him from the game and freshman Dillon Sterling-Cole, who was ASU's fourth option when the season started in August, took over at quarterback. By mid-October last season, Arizona State was already down to its fourth string quarterback and still had four more Pacific 12 Conference games left to play.

and

Per: https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2017/05/the_most_important_lesson_aubu.html

During Lindsey's brief tenure as Arizona State's offensive coordinator, the Sun Devils went through a rash of injuries that decimated their depth at quarterback. In all, the team started three different quarterbacks throughout the year, had a fourth sustain a season-ending injury during fall camp and a fifth waiting in the wings in case of an emergency.

"I've never been through a year like that, where you end up playing every guy you had on the roster at quarterback and then a couple wide receivers that were former quarterbacks," Lindsey said. "I think it just makes you think ahead and be creative."

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Great discussion, guys. Just have to correct one thing; didn’t Truitt start off the 2016 season as a QB in the Clemson game? :rollin:

Boy howdy, doesn't that say it all. 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Don't know where you get that...Wilkins was a starting QB for four years including some the year before Chip arrived.  

As @Tiger said, that has absolutely no bearing on his health status for the duration of 2016. 

Also, "some the year before" is a total of 7 carries and 0 pass attempts. 

8 hours ago, Tiger said:

One thing to note is that Arizona State had to use their 5th string QB and put WRs in at QB during the season because of injury during Chip's last year. I don't think you can take anything about Chip's OC ability from that season at Arizona State.

Take a look at the ASU site.....had a top rated QB who won the job …. beat out the starter from the year before..   The kid started at least 10 games and was the starter for two years afterward.      His ASU offense was mundane and team lost most of their games.....no way to deny that. 

13 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Take a look at the ASU site.....had a top rated QB who won the job …. beat out the starter from the year before..   The kid started at least 10 games and was the starter for two years afterward.      His ASU offense was mundane and team lost most of their games.....no way to deny that. 

LMAOOOOOO and you even disliked my post

That is rich. The dude who absolves Gus of literally any blame at all is blaming Chip's offense for looking "mundane" because they had to use a 5th stringer and WRs at QB due to injury. I don't even think Mikey would be in your corner on this one

5 minutes ago, Tiger said:

LMAOOOOOO and you even disliked my post

That is rich. The dude who absolves Gus of literally any blame at all is blaming Chip's offense for looking "mundane" because they had to use a 5th stringer and WRs at QB due to injury. I don't even think Mikey would be in your corner on this one

Just saying...go to the season and look at the box scores for the losses....same QB almost the entire season and the two back-ups had about as much time on the field as Malik.   Check the box scores of the games.....   https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/arizona-state/2016.html

Buy the excuses if you want but the Chip who was calling the plays at AU (per his comments) is the same guy who ran the offense at ASU and who in two years here did not develop JS or prepare a replacement...JMO  

13 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Just saying...go to the season and look at the box scores for the losses....same QB almost the entire season and the two back-ups had about as much time on the field as Malik.   Check the box scores of the games.....   https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/arizona-state/2016.html

Buy the excuses if you want but the Chip who was calling the plays at AU (per his comments) is the same guy who ran the offense at ASU and who in two years here did not develop JS or prepare a replacement...JMO  

They started 5-1. Then lost the remaining games because the QB situation went into the tank. Did you see the post I quoted you in with the two separate articles detailing the unique situation? I know you got a notification for it

12 hours ago, Tiger said:

They started 5-1. Then lost the remaining games because the QB situation went into the tank. Did you see the post I quoted you in with the two separate articles detailing the unique situation? I know you got a notification for it

He has a tendency to ignore information that doesn't suit him and not respond to posts where he's been shown to be wrong. This conversation is taking it to a new level, though.

12 hours ago, AU64 said:

His ASU offense was mundane and team lost most of their games.....no way to deny that. 

There are countless ways to deny an extremely subjective opinion such as "offense was mundane"- like, I'm extremely concerned that you even said that, and now I have to question whether you know the definitions of common words like "mundane" and "deny" or if you really are just saying weird stuff to avoid conceding the ground that anyone reading this already knows you lost- and nobody is denying ASU's record in 2016. But Lindsey wasn't the head coach, so why do you keep saying that? You're saying strange things in this thread. 

14 hours ago, Tiger said:

No, QB excuses only work for Gus, didn’t you know that?!

18 minutes ago, DAG said:

No QB excuses only work for Gus, didn’t you know that?!

To the point that we're going to claim that a guy with zero pass attempts and 7 total carries actually is a high quality QB candidate for a 1st-year OC.  And we're going to keep saying "5-7" over and over again while ignoring that he only played 10 games and then things went way downhill from there with the available personnel. I guess those other 2 games only matter when you're talking about the 7 games the OC- with an offense ranked 9 spots higher than ours that season- lost all by himself. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

He has a tendency to ignore information that doesn't suit him and not respond to posts where he's been shown to be wrong. This conversation is taking it to a new level, though.

There are countless ways to deny an extremely subjective opinion such as "offense was mundane"- like, I'm extremely concerned that you even said that, and now I have to question whether you know the definitions of common words like "mundane" and "deny" or if you really are just saying weird stuff to avoid conceding the ground that anyone reading this already knows you lost- and nobody is denying ASU's record in 2016. But Lindsey wasn't the head coach, so why do you keep saying that? You're saying strange things in this thread. 

Lol literally chooses to ignore it. I know he's not that dense. Or I didn't think so. Even Skip Bayless is jealous of how 64 worms his way out of letting facts influence his view.

51 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Lol literally chooses to ignore it. I know he's not that dense. Or I didn't think so. Even Skip Bayless is jealous of how 64 worms his way out of letting facts influence his view.

As  @keesler once said, that 64 is as slippery as an eel.

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 8:52 AM, triangletiger said:

I don't think he's lying, but the reason one might lie in that situation is that you don't say anything in public that might be considered disparaging to your former employer or colleagues.  Don't burn bridges unnecessarily, because you never know when doing so could come back to bite you.

You're 100% correct, his answer was professional. Behind close doors is another matter and something we will never know.

2 hours ago, Eagleclaw said:

You're 100% correct, his answer was professional. Behind close doors is another matter and something we will never know.

Bingo as it should be. But we have some people that come here and say without a doubt that they know what was said behind closed doors. But like you said somethings we will never know. One fact we will get to see how both of them do this fall, that should give us all tremendous insight.

No need to gang up on 64 guys/gals.  I know he has a different view point but he always responds with respect.  

On 1/16/2019 at 9:52 PM, PoetTiger said:

Patience ....it will all sort itself out this fall. We will get to see how they do apart and see what each offense looks like. 

This. Although I am quite certain Gus interfered with Lindsey.  

Archived