Horton reassigned to off field role

Maverick.AU

1 minute ago, triangletiger said:

Someone suggested that moving Horton to an off-field position was done to allow him to take on some of Gus' responsibilities (that maybe Suddes was handling) to allow Gus to focus more on on-field coaching and play calling.  Do you know if there is any truth to this?  

Maybe? Bird has better info on this one than I do. IMO, that may be the best position for Tim. Tim can coach RB's. That has never been a question. But in the bigger picture, running a offense, just wasn't something that Tim was good at. IMO. Doing things behind the scene? Don't see why not. 

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Maybe? Bird has better info on this one than I do. IMO, that may be the best position for Tim. Tim can coach RB's. That has never been a question. But in the bigger picture, running a offense, just wasn't something that Tim was good at. IMO. Doing things behind the scene? Don't see why not. 

Horton was running the offense?

2 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Told he had a lot on input into the offense. He has been wanting a OC or HC job for years. 

Sounds like there were too many chefs in the kitchen last year.  Seems Gus is actually taking more control of things and not just play calling.  I’m not getting sucked in, I swear.  I will resist all off season.

42 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Don't think there is one. As of yesterday I'm told Gus has not made any final decisions. 

You don't have to name names, but do you know of the people in the running?  Do you like who is on the board?

Just now, I_M4_AU said:

Sounds like there were too many chefs in the kitchen last year.  Seems Gus is actually taking more control of things and not just play calling.  I’m not getting sucked in, I swear.  I will resist all off season.

Was in the process of posting something similar.

Horton ran the offense... Hand ran the offense... Lindsey ran the offense... Lashlee ran the offense... Gus runs the offense... A lot of things make more sense when you look at it that way. 

No idea if we get better this year but I think we're all happy to remove redundancy from the game planning and play calling. 

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Was in the process of posting something similar.

Horton ran the offense... Hand ran the offense... Lindsey ran the offense... Lashlee ran the offense... Gus runs the offense... A lot of things make more sense when you look at it that way. 

No idea if we get better this year but I think we're all happy to remove redundancy from the game planning and play calling. 

Horton had a lot of input into the offense the last two years. Hand didn't have much say in the offense. Lindsey didn't have as much input into the actual planning of the offense as he should have. Had little to zero after the Southern Miss game. Lashee? Gus was calling the plays then. Input from Lashee? I think he had some. Gus does and has been running this offense, Fact

Now we have Gus owning the offense. Will Dilly have any input? Hope so. You left off Kodi on the first part. I do believe that Gus does listen to Kodi but Horton had more say or pull. Think Kodi will have more input this next year. 

6 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

You don't have to name names, but do you know of the people in the running?  Do you like who is on the board?

I have no names. Some are being tossed around but no one knows anything concrete. Most likely won't know till the hire is made IMO. 

11 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Horton had a lot of input into the offense the last two years. Hand didn't have much say in the offense. Lindsey didn't have as much input into the actual planning of the offense as he should have. Had little to zero after the Southern Miss game. Lashee? Gus was calling the plays then. Input from Lashee? I think he had some. Gus does and has been running this offense, Fact

Now we have Gus owning the offense. Will Dilly have any input? Hope so. You left off Kodi on the first part. I do believe that Gus does listen to Kodi but Horton had more say or pull. Think Kodi will have more input this next year. 

Yeah, kind of my point. Even Hand was in the box to start 2017 before Lindsey moved up there 3 or 4 games in. So their roles changed midseason, at least a little bit. And I actually did assume Kodi has some input, too. Point is, Gus runs the offense but he doesn't have a clear idea of how to actually delegate and implement it. He's still figuring it out as he goes, and obviously the current situation only further reinforces that. And I think we all agree it's a good thing for Gus to dampen the noise. 

As for Lashlee, he was calling the plays for much of 2016 and we looked damned good while he did. I think what someone told us at the time was that he went to Gus asking him to get back involved once our entire backfield got dinged up. 

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

What makes no sense about the Horton situation? Based on "gospel in the past"? And the info about JB not getting a say so on who to recruit came directly from JB himself. If that is wrong then what can I say? 

Do you think JB gets replaced ?

3 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

To Dell or Eddie, come home to Auburn to coach our RB's.

Who are you talking to? 

er.gif

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

Who are you talking to? 

er.gif

Didn’t you know?  All of our former coaches and players are lurkers on this message board.

8 hours ago, gravejd said:

Horton was running the offense?

Yes, he was meddling along with Gus when the O looked bad. When the O looked good, like the Alabama and Georgia games in the regular season last year, he and Gus were not meddling.

SEC Championship game last season, Horton and Gus started to meddle again.

15 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Yes, he was meddling along with Gus when the O looked bad. When the O looked good, like the Alabama and Georgia games in the regular season last year, he and Gus were not meddling.

SEC Championship game last season, Horton and Gus started to meddle again.

Define meddling and Tim Horton for me? Horton was involved in the game planning. If that is meddling then you are right. As far as the bama and uga games last year? Chip was more involved with Gus all week before each game. Same with the A&M game. The reasoning for this should be self evident. Gus was not filtering plays for those games. Watch how smooth the plays get called in. Now watch the bowl game and do I even have to go into 2018? Why the change from how those games were called and planned? Have to ask Gus. 

9 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Define meddling and Tim Horton for me? Horton was involved in the game planning. If that is meddling then you are right. As far as the bama and uga games last year? Chip was more involved with Gus all week before each game. Same with the A&M game. The reasoning for this should be self evident. Gus was not filtering plays for those games. Watch how smooth the plays get called in. Now watch the bowl game and do I even have to go into 2018? Why the change from how those games were called and planned? Have to ask Gus. 

That’s what I find really frustrating about Gus.  If something works from a logistical perspective then why make a radical change, and if you do make a change and it doesn’t work, then at least revert back to what was working prior to the change.  That being said, I understand the need for improvement and innovation and realize that it involves some change.  

2 hours ago, gctiger said:

That’s what I find really frustrating about Gus.  If something works from a logistical perspective then why make a radical change, and if you do make a change and it doesn’t work, then at least revert back to what was working prior to the change.  That being said, I understand the need for improvement and innovation and realize that it involves some change.  

Maybe he didn’t intend to change for the SECCG and then the offense stalled so he panicked and started filtering? 

6 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Maybe he didn’t intend to change for the SECCG and then the offense stalled so he panicked and started filtering? 

Doesn't sound too far fetched to me. Gus just looks like a master of panic. His body language and facial expressions certainly don't exude confidence during games. 

We need sweatervest Gus back

ANYTHING that helps the communication pattern work better is good for Gus & the guys on the field.  With Gus taking 100% ownership of the offense, from weekly game prep all the way down to calling in plays from the sideline, things are bound to flow better.  

On 1/14/2019 at 9:08 AM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

We have been struggling at RB recruiting for the past 3 years. 

Why do you say we have struggled the past 3 years at RB recruiting? 2015 we signed, KJ and Jovon Robinson....nuff said, 2016 Kam Martin and Malik Miller, I know Malik doesnt have elite speed but he could be a very successful SEC back ...(reminds me of Rudy Johnson) , 2017 Devan Barrett who was a highly touted RB recruit. 2018 we signed J. Whitlow, S. Shivers....I wouldnt call that struggling....now its not Elite recruiting like Turds or UGA.....but solid IMO

6 minutes ago, AUinfusion said:

Saw Luper's name tossed out by Auburn Sports:

https://auburn.rivals.com/news/luper-moves-to-the-top-of-au-s-list

Jay G. Tate and his mutha----ing "AU sources" have confirmed horsecrap.......  Makes me want to puke up my lunch :puke:

When did AU part ways with Tim Horton?  

Tate says CGM will have to dig deep financially to get Luper, yet he told us a freaking month ago that CGM's contract had been reduced he wouldn't be allowed to hire replacement coaches & pay more for them.   

2 minutes ago, keesler said:

Jay G. Tate and his mutha----ing "AU sources" have confirmed horsecrap.......  Makes me want to puke up my lunch :puke:

What makes you want to puke? You don’t like Luper? Or are you saying the story is horsecrap?

JayG's reporting solid in my book, and not, he didn't pay me to say that.

Archived