Horton reassigned to off field role

Maverick.AU

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://auburn.rivals.com/news/horton-out-as-rb-coach

AUBURN | Tim Horton is out as Auburn’s running backs coach, a source confirmed to AuburnSports.com.

The 28-year coaching veteran, who has spent the last six years at Auburn, is expected to take an off-the-field role with the Tigers.

Horton was part of Malzahn’s initial staff in 2013, joining the Tigers after spending six years in the same capacity at his alma mater, Arkansas

He’s coached nine All-SEC running backs including Kerryon Johnson, Tre Mason, Cameron Artis-Payne and Kamryn Pettway at Auburn.

Malzahn is expected to begin the search for a new running backs coach immediately.

Not sure I saw this one coming. I'm sure we can find a solid replacement with our history though.

I'm surprised he's staying in the off the field spot. He's been trying to leave for a few years now.

I think Gus has already tried but not forced the change. He was probably preferred for Hortin to have gotten another gig. So now he will just move to off field position and hopefully get a shot somewhere else. I just hope if Gus goes outside for a new coach it will be one that he is willing to listen to and help him move his offense forward.

5 minutes ago, Apextiger said:

Hello, Dell? We got an opening.

I’m guessing we might move porter to RB coach and look  for a TE coach.

Could be a good time to try again to get the rich Biochhic guy that we hired before and he went to the cowboys . I believe he coached special teams there , but by trade he is a rb coach 

• ellitor changed the title to Coach Horton Reassigned To An Off Field Role
24 minutes ago, Apextiger said:

Hello, Dell? We got an opening.

Unfortunately he hasn't been interested. He's happy where he is. AU has been trying to get him each year for the past few years.

20 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

I’m guessing we might move porter to RB coach and look  for a TE coach.

That's my hope but early scuttlebutt is Gus may be looking at sliding Kodi to RB coach.

10 minutes ago, djg0017 said:

Taking Suddes’ spot?

You know I hadn’t thought about that but you might be exactly right about that. Remember Gus talked about trying to shed some of his HC outside duty to allow for his spending more time involved with the Offense. That said Horton being a senior coach and I think he was at least for a while the Assistant Head Coach. So maybe Coach Horton moving off  field to handle a lot of the non-field work might be the idea exactly. Might actually work.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

That's my hope but early scuttlebutt is Gus may be looking at sliding Kodi to RB coach.

So basically looking for a WR coach then? Kodi coaching rb’s tho? Why?

34 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

So basically looking for a WR coach then? Kodi coaching rb’s tho? Why?

Makes no sense with LP on staff

2 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

You know I hadn’t thought about that but you might be exactly right about that. Remember Gus talked about trying to shed some of his HC outside duty to allow for his spending more time involved with the Offense. That said Horton being a senior coach and I think he was at least for a while the Assistant Head Coach. So maybe Coach Horton moving off  field to handle a lot of the non-field work might be the idea exactly. Might actually work.

It makes perfect sense for the program, but I’m not sure what Horton’s motivation would be. Kinda thought he would wanna get out. I think he would do well and would help out Gus a lot for him to take Suddes’ position though

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

And that might not be bad. Kodi might be better set with RBs than WRs. Also with the elite WR talent we have we need to invest in a coach with a strong background especially in extending our route tree from what I’ve seen over the past few years. Don’t want to lose Kodi because he has a great morale factor with these guys. Just think RB will suite him better.

2 minutes ago, djg0017 said:

It makes perfect sense for the program, but I’m not sure what Horton’s motivation would be. Kinda thought he would wanna get out. I think he would do well and would help out Gus a lot for him to take Suddes’ position though

JMO but Horton's been trying for a HC job for a while with no success....so maybe it's time to redirect his career....and something like this could be the right thing. Hoping we don't just shuffle other staff members.....get a RB coach from outside...

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Makes no sense with TP on staff

Exactly, plus it gives you a very high level recruiter at the position. There’s absolutely no reason that AU isn’t in thick of it for the top 3 backs in every class. 

5 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

we need to invest in a coach with a strong background especially in extending our route tree from what I’ve seen over the past few years

Gus has complete control on that kind of stuff. Doubt a new WR coach changes the route trees.

5 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Just think RB will suite him better.

Maybe but moving CLP over from TEs would suit Auburn better.

Archived