Horton reassigned to off field role

Maverick.AU

Just now, AUDevil said:

I think so.  If AU, you could also spin that as Robinson isn't really top tier NFL caliber and we still got him a spot in the 1st round.

Which story is closer to the truth?  I don't know anything about advanced lineman skills, but the story was that Gus was teaching only basics, that the line was mostly just big guys pushing forward.  

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

I think so.  If AU, you could also spin that as Robinson isn't really top tier NFL caliber and we still got him a spot in the 1st round.

He redshirted then played only two years. One year was 2012. He left two years early and got #2 overall money. I don’t think he should complain. 

28 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Wasn't there a Robinson interview where it was stated that he wasn't really ready for the NFL and having to work hard to get up to speed?  I seem to remember a bit shade thrown on AU's O-line coaching about that time.  Do we suck at getting o-line players prepared for the NFL?  Could such an impression be limiting our recruiting?  

The reality is NONE of the offensive side of the ball are prepared for the NFL coming out of a Gus offense. The WRs and OL who have gone on to the NFL have thrown shade at AU when interviewed. And Cams gruden QB camp was infamous for shining a light on how basic Malzahns scheme is. It is just embarrassing honestly. 

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Other than bama and georgia, what teams have out recruited us on the OL in recent years.  If you watch other offenses in the conference, nobody has dominant OLs and most are worse than AU ...JMO

2018 alone....UT ----3 OTs, one 4* and two 3*s rated over 85 in composit,1 high 3 * guard

LSU- 4 OLs, one 4star and three 3stars all 86+ with really good measurables

UF- 3 OTs 88+ with good measurables, one high 4*

Scar- 6 OL, ( two (4*) and four (3*) ) lowest being around 85

Tamu one 4 * and three 3* OL

2017- UT one 5* OT and three 3* OT

UF- three 4* OL and one 3* OL

scar- five 3* OTS from 85 up

LSU three 4* and one 3*OL

Tamu one 4 * and three 4 * OL

Just to name a few. Auburn signed 2. Both 3stars....and both projects IMO in 2018. 2017 we signed one 5* Clvin Ashley and two 4* nick Brahms and Austin Troxell. I will do more research to see about the couple years prior but this paints a pretty good picture....If we were signing 3-4 OTs even if they are 3 star guys rated 85-90 every year then we wouldnt be in the predicament we are in now

31 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Coleman, Smith, Robinson, and Slade (not sure if he's active).

OK, 4 drafted.  Slade is not active.  Robinson was recruited by Trooper and Jeff Grimes while Gus was OC. 

2 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

2018 alone....UT ----3 OTs, one 4* and two 3*s rated over 85 in composit,1 high 3 * guard

LSU- 4 OLs, one 4star and three 3stars all 86+ with really good measurables

UF- 3 OTs 88+ with good measurables, one high 4*

Scar- 6 OL, ( two (4*) and four (3*) ) lowest being around 85

Tamu one 4 * and three 3* OL

2017- UT one 5* OT and three 3* OT

UF- three 4* OL and one 3* OL

scar- five 3* OTS from 85 up

LSU three 4* and one 3*OL

Tamu one 4 * and three 4 * OL

Just to name a few. Auburn signed 2. Both 3stars....and both projects IMO in 2018. 2017 we signed one 5* Clvin Ashley and two 4* nick Brahms and Austin Troxell. I will do more research to see about the couple years prior but this paints a pretty good picture....If we were signing 3-4 OTs even if they are 3 star guys rated 85-90 every year then we wouldnt be in the predicament we are in now

BUT WE HAVE DEPTH!!!

tenor.gif?itemid=13147719

Remember the idea we needed to split the O-Line coaching and bring in a recruiter to pair up with Grimes as a developer?

If we move the TE coach to RB coach, we could bring in a TE coach who splits O-Line duties with Grimes. An new OT/TE coach and a OG/C coach (Grimes).

The only problem I see with this is the way we use the TE and H-Back role. Over the last few years we tend to have put a true OL into a hand-down TE role, and the H-Back, while being recruited from HS Fullbacks, operates more like a pulling guard.

So I could see a TE/H-Back coach and an O-Line coach working in close coordination on blocking schemes, and sharing some duties.

Is there a potential TE coach out there who is also a good OL recruiter?

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

BUT WE HAVE DEPTH!!!

Just to add to that....lets look at the last few cycles for the top 3 teams...Bama, Clemson, and UGA

Bama

2017- 5* OT, 4* OT, 4* OT, 4*G, high 3*C

2018- 4*C, 4*G   This was there down year...only finished 5th

UGA

2017- 5*OT, 4*OT, 4* G, 4* OT, high 3*G

2018- 5*OT, 5*OG, 4*OG, 4* C, High 3* OT

Clemson

2017 4* OG, 3*OT, 3*OT

2018 5*OT,3* OT

Clemson is the only one that doesnt seem to be just racking up on linement but they are getting quality guys and developing and they have a solid start for next year

2019 Clemson 4* OG, 3*G, 3*OT

2019 UGA 5*C, 4* OT, 4*OT

2019 Bama 5* OT, 4*OT, 4*OT, 4* OG 4* OG

50 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

If AU, you could also spin that as Robinson isn't really top tier NFL caliber and we still got him a spot in the 1st round.

That makes zero sense. Robinson was one of the freakiest athletes at his position in years. He was absolutely "NFL caliber". 

Buying into the complaining....just take a look at the mock drafts or recent drafts and check the offensive linemen.   They come from everywhere and not that many

from the SEC which is a surprise to me.   Short list below.  

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-quick-look-at-the-2019-nfl-draft-class-offensive-linemen-in-pass-protection

And the real problem I guess is should coaches be teaching what the NFL wants or teaching what it takes to run our offense.   Do people complain about Oklahoma or WVa or Wash State not developing WRs or Offensive linemen and do those HCs even care?   

24 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Just to add to that....lets look at the last few cycles for the top 3 teams...Bama, Clemson, and UGA

Bama

2017- 5* OT, 4* OT, 4* OT, 4*G, high 3*C

2018- 4*C, 4*G   This was there down year...only finished 5th

UGA

2017- 5*OT, 4*OT, 4* G, 4* OT, high 3*G

2018- 5*OT, 5*OG, 4*OG, 4* C, High 3* OT

Clemson

2017 4* OG, 3*OT, 3*OT

2018 5*OT,3* OT

Clemson is the only one that doesnt seem to be just racking up on linement but they are getting quality guys and developing and they have a solid start for next year

2019 Clemson 4* OG, 3*G, 3*OT

2019 UGA 5*C, 4* OT, 4*OT

2019 Bama 5* OT, 4*OT, 4*OT, 4* OG 4* OG

Is it safe to assume that Porter will be the new recruiting coordinator?   Another title that Horton held, not sure if it was a fake title like Kodi's co-offensive coordinator title is.

Man, ya'll are consistant if nothing else.  Can't wait for next season . Wish I had a gif for beatin a dead horse

1 hour ago, AUDevil said:

Robinson is still starting in the NFL so I don’t think that’ll fly

20 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

Man, ya'll are consistant if nothing else.  Can't wait for next season . Wish I had a gif for beatin a dead horse

As consistent as Gus going 8-5?

Really don’t mean to sound like an ass, just couldn’t resist using that joke lol.

56 minutes ago, fredst said:

Robinson is still starting in the NFL so I don’t think that’ll fly

Still starting in the NFL?  So what's the problem?  The only problem I see is that our staff got a guy drafted in the 1st round and didn't know how to maximize the situation to its advantage.

1 hour ago, tbone4jc said:

Here you go sir ..

2g-7OB.gif

3 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Robinson is like 6'5 over 300 lbs. 

He can do a standing backflip. Link

Get outta here with that nonsense

5 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

He’s staying until he leaves.

m.gif

As far as Horton... I don't understand how anyone could be surprised by this. 

I love Horton. He came in as one of the most respected RB coaches in the game. He was a great coach and great recruiter. Lately, he seems to be a shell of his former self. As my boy @GwillMac6 said, it seems he has been mailing it in for a few years now. 

It was time for us to move on...

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

BUT WE HAVE DEPTH!!!

I haven’t even seen this movie but I can’t tell you how many time her being blind folded has been referenced on social media. I will not watch it nevertheless.

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

I haven’t even seen this movie but I can’t tell you how many time her being blind folded has been referenced on social media. I will not watch it nevertheless.

It was pretty good if you like the whole post apocalyptic type of movie. I love them. Its my favorite type of movie. This one was pretty good but had a beyond terrible ending. Which isnt rare for me to say. I rarely enjoy movies endings... But this one was just a terrible terrible terrible ending. 

However its definitely worth a watch. Its no "Black Mirror," but its not "The Room" either. 

I see this little jackwagon has not changed at all since he has been away from Auburn. L O L. Best offensive recruiter?!?!? You are out of your got dang mind creeper. Turmoil? So dozens of sec assistants change jobs every year but when Auburn does it is described as turmoil? GTFO. So glad this dude is not covering AU anymore.

Archived