Horton reassigned to off field role

Maverick.AU

This is a good move. We need a new coach and someone that can recruit at a higher level than Horton has done recently. We need a young coach with lots of energy that relates well with kids.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ellitor said:

He's tried the past 4 years. No bites.

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

JMO but Horton's been trying for a HC job for a while with no success....so maybe it's time to redirect his career....and something like this could be the right thing. Hoping we don't just shuffle other staff members.....get a RB coach from outside...

I guess it at least gets him out of coaching here for the time being. Probably an easier relationship to have with Gus from that spot

6 minutes ago, djg0017 said:

It makes perfect sense for the program, but I’m not sure what Horton’s motivation would be. Kinda thought he would wanna get out. I think he would do well and would help out Gus a lot for him to take Suddes’ position though

May just want to slow down some. I’m not sure CH ever really liked the recruiting part of it. 

6 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

There’s absolutely no reason that AU isn’t in thick of it for the top 3 backs in every class. 

Except Gus's uses of our RBs which other teams pound us on the trail for.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Gus has complete control on that kind of stuff. Doubt a new WR coach changes the route trees.

Maybe but moving CLP over from TEs would suit Auburn better.

You are probably right on both, I’m just looking for Gus’s thought on the move. 

4 minutes ago, Roos said:

Cadillac would be a great fit for a RB coach, would he not? 

Not unless he knows how to recruit which he has no experience of doing.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Except Gus's uses of our RBs which other teams poubd us on the trail for.

I 100% agree with that as well. With what have at RB next year, we should rotate like uga does, but sadly, we more than likely won’t  😔

3 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

I 100% agree with that as well. With what have at RB next year, we should rotate like uga does, but sadly, we more than likely won’t  😔

Schools rotate when the have more than one talented RB who can do the job.     We've been short at RB for quite a while and a big fall off when we sub.  But pounding Gus over having a RB going to the NFL just about every year?    That makes no sense to me.    I figured good RBs are like good WRs...they want the ball every play.:dunno: and AU will run the ball...

8 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Except Gus's uses of our RBs which other teams pound us on the trail for.

I think 2018 was a baby step in the right direction of a committee approach.  We used at least three backs in every game.  Whitlow was the alpha by far, but Shivers, Martin, and Miller were also used.  Hopefully soon that will no longer be a negative towards us. 

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Schools rotate when the have more than one talented RB who can do the job.     We've been short at RB for quite a while and a big fall off when we sub.  But pounding Gus over having a RB going to the NFL just about every year?    That makes no sense to me.    I figured good RBs are like good WRs...they want the ball every play.:dunno: and AU will run the ball...

So Shivers was a drop of last year? He should have been used way more

4 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I think 2018 was a baby step in the right direction of a committee approach.  We used at least three backs in every game.  Whitlow was the alpha by far, but Shivers, Martin, and Miller were also used.  Hopefully soon that will no longer be a negative towards us. 

Sadly, especially Shivers, was not used nowhere near as much. His usage against LSU was really how the season should have gone as far as usage

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

E, I believe, has said before that RB’s now aren’t wanting to be the “work horse”. Shelf life isn’t long for RB’s and they want to go to the nfl 

6 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

E, I believe, has said before that RB’s now aren’t wanting to be the “work horse”. Shelf life isn’t long for RB’s and they want to go to the nfl 

I'm not the only one to say it. @McLoofus & @NorthGATiger among others have said it as well as Kerryon implied it in an early NFL interview saying it was crazy how much he was used at Auburn. And that's only half of the issue. While we have a workhorse, other RBs are on the bench more at AU instead of rotating in for compeitive games like many other schools do.

Just now, ellitor said:

I'm not the only one to say it. @McLoofus & @NorthGATiger among others have said it as well as Kerryon implied it in an early NFL interview saying it was crazy how much he was used at Auburn. And that's only half of the issue. While we have a workhorse, other RBs are on the bench more at AU instead of rotating in like many other schools do.

I looked at Shivers touches after the LSU game, 2 or less touches for 4 straight games, makes me sick

Just now, Maverick.AU said:

I looked at Shivers touches after the LSU game, 2 or less touches for 4 straight games, makes me sick

Really stands out in competitive games as I went back & noted in my last post.

12 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

So Shivers was a drop of last year? He should have been used way more

He was never given an opportunity to get into a rhythm. It was clear he had the moxy to get 3 yards up the middle regularly, but they way the inconsistently used him had to make it hard on him to develop in games. 

Was it a good idea to make Horton an off the field coach when we have Jamous Griffin on campus this weekend? 

do you think we may have lost ground with him? 

3 minutes ago, Roos said:

Was it a good idea to make Horton an off the field coach when we have Jamous Griffin on campus this weekend? 

Unless we already know who is taking his place

40 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

And that might not be bad. Kodi might be better set with RBs than WRs. Also with the elite WR talent we have we need to invest in a coach with a strong background especially in extending our route tree from what I’ve seen over the past few years. Don’t want to lose Kodi because he has a great morale factor with these guys. Just think RB will suite him better.

lol extend our route tree? You think Gus is going to let a WR coach dictate that? He does not even listen to his OC's let alone a position coach. That is some very wishful thinking. 

38 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

This is a good move. We need a new coach and someone that can recruit at a higher level than Horton has done recently. We need a young coach with lots of energy that relates well with kids.

I am not a Horton guy at all and have not been for awhile. I think he has been mailing it in on the trail for a few years and not been fully invested. But the first coach who I would of nudged out is Grimes. OL CRUTIN IS THE NUMBER ONE THING that needs to change. I do not care how "great" of a coach Grimes is. This is not the NFL you MUST be able to recruit. Especially in our predicament recruiting against bama and georgia.

6 minutes ago, Roos said:

Wasn't a bad idea. Porter & Gus have been doing a lot of the recruiting work on him anyway.

8 minutes ago, Roos said:

No but not sure he's a take either with our top target MAR still on the board.

28 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

The only reason he did that is because he had no bellcow RB who seperated from the pack. If he did Gus no doubt would of run them in to the ground.

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

The only reason he did that is because he had no bellcow RB who seperated from the pack. If he did Gus no doubt would of run them in to the ground.

It also helps when you’re having to throw the ball as much as we were.

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I think he has been mailing it in on the trail for a few years

Except for his work with DJ Williams thank the good lord.

Archived