Horton reassigned to off field role

Maverick.AU

8 minutes ago, lala said:

This does not play out with the narrative that everyone was preaching a month ago.   Wasn’t it stated only Gus w/ Horton decided who we would recruit on the O side of that ball.  If Tim was that ingrained why would he be reassigned?    

Weren’t we told it was fact, and if we thought otherwise we were kidding ourselves?      

What difference does where he is at have to do with recruiting? Do you not find it interesting that instead of being let go he was reassigned.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, lala said:

This does not play out with the narrative that everyone was preaching a month ago.   Wasn’t it stated only Gus w/ Horton decided who we would recruit on the O side of that ball.  If Tim was that ingrained why would he be reassigned?    

Weren’t we told it was fact, and if we thought otherwise we were kidding ourselves?      

We listen to some people who are full of s*** and know it. 

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Exactly. Its the same with GRob and our WRs. However, unlike Drago, they haven't done well.

The receivers we’ve had drafted are having same issues we’ve seen while playing for us.   We’ve recruited athletic some (big and fast) guys that were not necessarily skilled receivers.  These guys have struggled in the NFL just like college.   They can blame CGM but the NFL guys are not having any better luck.     

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

What difference does where he is at have to do with recruiting? Do you not find it interesting that instead of being let go he was reassigned.

Keep him cause  Gus respects him and his ability.  It is a demotion tho no matter how you look at it.  

5 minutes ago, alexava said:

We listen to some people who are full of s*** and know it. 

But don’t question or disagree cause your an idiot.    😁

Why does everyone assume that this is not something that Tim Horton wants? Perhaps he’ll be taking Suddes’s spot or maybe he’s dealing with some health or family issues.  Geez. I’d hate to live with some of you who always assume the worst.  And I’m sure not going to give any credit to Creepy for knowing anything.  You guys actually think he bothered to pick up a phone and talk to Tim Horton to see what the truth is? I will wait until Horton himself talks or possibly Gus.  The sky isn’t falling with every turn of events.  🙄

29 minutes ago, lala said:

Keep him cause  Gus respects him and his ability.  It is a demotion tho no matter how you look at it.  

No one said it wasn't a demotion. Your premise that he wouldn't be if he was so ingrained with recruiting and therefore some people are FoS holds no water. He is and will continue to be very involved with recruiting.

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

No one said it wasn't a demotion. Your premise that he wouldn't be if he was so ingrained with recruiting and therefore some people are FoS holds no water. He is and will continue to be very involved with recruiting.

Disagree with you as I did on you all that said Grimes had no say in who to recruit.  

I 100% agree Tim will work recruiting and I also believe Tim will look at other options away from AU.    Again, IMO this debunks the belief that only he and Gus figured who to recruit, why would u demote your most trusted team member.   

7 minutes ago, lala said:

Disagree with you as I did on you all that said Grimes had no say in who to recruit.  

I 100% agree Tim will work recruiting and I also believe Tim will look at other options away from AU.    Again, IMO this debunks the belief that only he and Gus figured who to recruit, why would u demote your most trusted team member.   

Because as most trusted team member he is most responsible for the offense sucking. Well, other than Gus himself, of course. And Gus isn't going to demote himself. He actually just did the opposite. Pretty easily identifiable theme here.

20 hours ago, AU64 said:

Schools rotate when the have more than one talented RB who can do the job.     We've been short at RB for quite a while and a big fall off when we sub.  But pounding Gus over having a RB going to the NFL just about every year?    That makes no sense to me.    I figured good RBs are like good WRs...they want the ball every play.:dunno: and AU will run the ball...

Ezekiel Elliot had over 300 carries, 77 receptions and 93 targets in 15 games this past season. 

Christian McCaffrey and Saquon averaged over 20 touches a game as well.

Maybe Gus just wants to prepare his backs for the NFL? 

I think we all know by now that Kerryon is an injury prone back that doesn’t need more than 10 carries a game. Even tbe Detroit Lions offense got him hurt. 

23 minutes ago, lala said:

Well if he moves to an off the field role that primarily focuses on recruiting efforts, which is what I expect to happen, then he actually has more time to hone in on who to recruit. If Gus trusts his ability to identify players for the system that much, it's likely more beneficial to the program (in Gus's eyes) that Horton spends his time there than burning it in meeting rooms with running backs.

33 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Well if he moves to an off the field role that primarily focuses on recruiting efforts, which is what I expect to happen, then he actually has more time to hone in on who to recruit. If Gus trusts his ability to identify players for the system that much, it's likely more beneficial to the program (in Gus's eyes) that Horton spends his time there than burning it in meeting rooms with running backs.

Gus is dumping off some management responsibilities since he’s bout to start play calling. I have no problem believing Horton will be an integral part in recruiting. However, I don't believe that only Gus and Horton can decide who to go after on offense.

This isn't all that hard to understand. Annual evaluation is common in any profession. I do assessments of the staff that reports to me and I get evaluated by the person I report to. Needs change and sometimes people change with it and sometimes they don't. I'm guessing Gus needed to take a hard look at his staff and when he did he decided that changes would happen. Horton serving in another  capacity doesn't limit his value to the team and Gus as far as recruiting goes. 

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

I would assume this is not well received by Tim.    His  pay rate will be reduced by a lot and he will most likely be looking for other opportunities.   

48 minutes ago, gr82be said:

This isn't all that hard to understand. Annual evaluation is common in any profession. I do assessments of the staff that reports to me and I get evaluated by the person I report to. Needs change and sometimes people change with it and sometimes they don't. I'm guessing Gus needed to take a hard look at his staff and when he did he decided that changes would happen. Horton serving in another  capacity doesn't limit his value to the team and Gus as far as recruiting goes. 

Careful, you are offering a reasonable explanation whereas on this site it's expected that posters find nefarious purposes behind something like this....well at Auburn anyway.   Other schools can make staff changes and nobody raises an eyebrow.  :dunno:

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

I didn't think the "off field assistants" could recruit.  I thought only the 10 on field coaches and head coach could recruit. 

1 minute ago, around4ever said:

I didn't think the "off field assistants" could recruit.  I thought only the 10 on field coaches and head coach could recruit. 

Who knows?   ..bama and Michigan both have a ton of coaches and you can't convince me that they are just watching film and taking notes.   Could be that some of recruiting might be "selling the brand" to coaching associations and such without making direct contact with prospects...especially if we were interested in going further afield.   

15 minutes ago, around4ever said:

I think he can still evaluate recruits and recommend who to go after and which coach should head up the effort!

1 hour ago, lala said:

I would assume this is not well received by Tim.    His  pay rate will be reduced by a lot and he will most likely be looking for other opportunities.   

You're making a bad assumption.  His pay isn't likely to change.  There's no rule anywhere that says his role off the field has pay him less.

2 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

You're making a bad assumption.  His pay isn't likely to change.  There's no rule anywhere that says his role off the field has pay him less.

I don’t think we can/will pay 400,000 for an off the field role.   That is about 100-150k more than TWill.      Hell, everyone would want that job.   

18 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I see this little jackwagon has not changed at all since he has been away from Auburn. L O L. Best offensive recruiter?!?!? You are out of your got dang mind creeper. Turmoil? So dozens of sec assistants change jobs every year but when Auburn does it is described as turmoil? GTFO. So glad this dude is not covering AU anymore.

These two writers think our offensive staff is in turmoil? An easier article would have been to write about the team on the other side of the state that has zero offensive staff. This just proves to me the media's agenda in this state. 

1 hour ago, lala said:

I don’t think we can/will pay 400,000 for an off the field role.   That is about 100-150k more than TWill.      Hell, everyone would want that job.   

Depends on how one values said off the field role.  If he can take recruiting analysis/targeting/planning off of Gus's plate, then that job becomes super important and likely worth the money.  But we absolutely can pay it. Auburn isn't lacking for cash.

Archived