Class Projections (1/24/19 Update)

aujeff11

Posting only the additions part of the class...

1/24/19 update

Predicting the 2019 Auburn recruiting class

By Keith Niebuhr

RB: Mark-Antony Richards, West Palm Beach (Fla.) Wellington: UNCOMMITTED TARGET -- Auburn, Florida, Georgia and Miami all are in the mix with just two weeks to go. The Hurricanes will get his final official visit and that should be closely watched. Remember, Richards' brother played for the 'Canes. Florida was trending up after his recent official there. Now, Georgia is doing the same following an official there last weekend. Auburn, though, has sort of been the one constant in his recruitment. The Tigers have sold him hard on the idea that he could be the next Kerryon Johnson with the Tigers. They have similar builds and running styles. Richards, a top-100 recruit, had 1,300-plus rushing yards and 900-plus receiving yards in 2018. All told, he had about 3,000 all-purpose yards. Four-star running back Jamious Griffin of Rome (Ga.) is Auburn's other top target at this position. He de-committed from N.C. State earlier this week.

OL/C: Kamaar Bell, Moultrie (Ga.) Colquitt County: UNCOMMITTED TARGET -- After officially visiting Auburn two weeks ago, Bell named the Tigers as his No. 1 and said they had a "huge" lead. He officially visited Louisville last week and he hasn't changed his leader, he told us Sunday night. Next up is a visit to FSU and that probably is the team to watch. The 'Noles seem like they'll be Auburn's top threat. Right now, though, Auburn certainly has to like where it sits. The Tigers have heavily recruited Bell since last spring. FSU didn't offer until December. Bell is close with Grimes and has hit it off early with new offensive coordinator Kenny Dillingham.

OT: Ira Henry, St. Louis (Mo.) Trinity Catholic: Henry has emerged as Auburn's most realistic option at tackle. The Tigers are high on him and vice versa. Right now, Auburn appears to be in a really good spot but Florida and FSU and very much in the mix. The 3-star recruit's final official visit this weekend is with the Seminoles. Henry was at Florida two weeks ago and Auburn last weekend. Following his official with the Tigers, he named them his leader. For Henry, the depth chart is a big deal in his recruitment. Auburn is selling him hard on the fact he could potentially start in Year 2 after the Tigers lose both projected starters at tackles following the upcoming season. According to Henry, the Auburn visit surprised him. He didn't think he'd like it as much as he did. Henry is likely to announce his decision on National Signing Day, which is Feb. 6. If Auburn can't land Henry, Cam'Ron Johnson of Pearland (Tx.) Shadow Creek might be someone to watch.

DE: Charles Moore, Louisville (Miss.): UNCOMMITTED TARGET, DID NOT SIGN EARLY -- The No. 4 recruit in Mississippi, Moore de-committed from Mississippi State two weeks ago and promptly named Auburn his leader. But after officially visiting Florida that weekend, he now claims the Gators are on top.  Right now, it looks like either Auburn or Florida will land the 4-star defensive lineman. He has visited the Tigers at least four times during the past year and his father spent part of the year working in nearby Opelika. Also helping Auburn is the fact he is close with Tiger signees Jaren Handy and Derick Hall, also Mississippi natives (Despite the Gators' push, Handy still likes Auburn's chances). Area recruiter Marcus Woodson, defensive line coach Rodney Garner, defensive coordinator Kevin Steele and Malzahn all have worked overtime to land Moore, who officially visited the Tigers in December with Handy, who might be his closest friend. But Florida is lurking and you have to credit Gators coach Dan Mullen for that. When Moore committed to Mississippi State, Mullen was its coach and the two have continued to have a good relationship. Now, Florida seems to have some confidence. This one is likely to go down to the wire. Moore also plans to visit FSU and LSU. Auburn remains confident.

DT: LeDarrius Cox, Mobile (Ala.) McGill-Toolen: TENNESSEE COMMIT -- Cox officially visited Tennessee two weeks ago and said afterward he was extremely solid to the Vols and not really even thinking about anyone else. But then he took an official to Auburn last weekend and still plans to check out Ole Miss. While Cox declined to be interviewed when he left Auburn, sources say the visit was a positive for Auburn. According to Auburn cornerback signee Nehemiah Pritchett, Cox told him the Tigers are very much in play. Others got the same impression. It sounds like Auburn would take him if it can. Tennessee might be tight on spaces. We may have to wait until National Signing Day to see what he does. This could go either way and our confidence level with this pick is not overly high.

LB: Octavius Brothers, Rockledge (Fla): UNCOMMITTED TARGET -- Auburn has a significant need at linebacker and Brothers has emerged as the top remaining target. After officially visiting the Tigers two weekends ago, the former UCF commit named them his leader. But he still has officials to Georgia Tech (this week) and Miami (next week) remaining. Of the two, the Hurricanes are the bigger threat. Brothers grew up a 'Canes fan. With Auburn, his relationship with linebackers coach Travis Williams is a big factor -- potentially even the deciding factor. The two have gotten very close. But again, Miami is lingering and can't be taken lightly. If his official to Miami goes well then things could get interesting. North Carolina also apparently has some level of confidence. But right now, the Tigers are in a good spot. 

CB: Jammie Robinson, Leesburg (Ga.) Lee County: UNCOMMITTED TARGET -- Malzahn will visit Robinson on Friday and that will be an important in-home because Robinson apparently is done taking his officials. The 3-star recruit officially visited Auburn two weekends ago and it appears as if things went well. South Carolina once was thought to be the favorite but now he seems to be fairly open, though some still like the Gamecocks here. It's now a four-team race between the Tigers, Kentucky, South Carolina and Tennessee and it seems like nobody has a true feel for which way this one might go. Could the fact former high school teammate Big Kat Bryant is at Auburn help the Tigers? Time will tell. Robinson doesn't plan to announce his final decision until Feb. 6. Auburn also is heavily recruiting 4-star LSU safety commit Maurice Hampton.

Predicting the 2019 Auburn recruiting class

By Keith Niebuhr

1/13/19

RB: Mark-Antony Richards, West Palm Beach (Fla.) Wellington: UNCOMMITTED TARGET -- Auburn and Florida appear to be the top contenders with many believing the Tigers are the team to beat. Richards officially visited Florida over the weekend. Auburn has sold him hard on the idea that he could be the next Kerryon Johnson with the Tigers. They have similar builds and running styles. Richards had 1,300-plus rushing yards and 900-plus receiving yards in 2018. All told, he had about 3,000 all-purpose yards.

OL/C: Kamaar Bell, Moultrie (Ga.) Colquitt County: UNCOMMITTED TARGET -- The 3-star recruit likes Auburn a lot and vice versa. And after his official visit with the Tigers over the weekend, he said they had moved to No. 1 on his list and had a huge lead. But other schools also are pushing and a recent offer from FSU could makes things interesting. Louisville also is in the mix and he will officially visit the Cardinals later this week.

OG/OT: ? --The direction Auburn will go in on the offensive line remains a mystery. Most of the really good high school and junior college targets already are taken -- and signed. Four-star junior tackle Bamidele Olaseni recently visited Auburn but it appears he will (at least for now) end up elsewhere as Auburn doesn't seem to be pushing. So where will Auburn turn? Three-star tackle Dawand Jones of Indiana probably is Auburn's biggest uncommitted target. Offensive line coach J.B. Grimes visited him last week and the Tigers hope to score an official visit. But Ohio State, should it push, could be hard to beat. Look for some new names to emerge this week.

DE: Charles Moore, Louisville (Miss.): UNCOMMITTED TARGET, DID NOT SIGN EARLY -- The No. 8 recruit in Mississippi, Moore de-committed from Mississippi State last week and promptly named Auburn his leader. But after officially visiting Florida over the weekend, he now claims the Gators are on top. That said, our sources continue to tell us Auburn remains his most likely destination. There even are some who think the Bulldogs no longer are even in the mix. Moore has visited the Tigers multiple times and Florida only once. He is, however, very close with Gators coach Dan Mullen. Right now, we'd put Auburn's chances here at 65 percent.

LB: Octavius Brothers, Rockledge (Fla): UNCOMMITTED TARGET -- Auburn has surged into the lead after Brothers officially visited the Tigers over the weekend. Miami is Auburn's main competition and he will officially visit the Hurricanes later this month. Auburn quietly began recruiting Brothers back in November and in a short time linebackers coach Travis Williams has built a strong relationship with him. That is an important factor in this recruitment. Auburn is trending up but he's a lifelong Hurrianes fan.

LB: Dylan Jordan, Pittsburg (Kan.): UNCOMMITTED TARGET -- Auburn, Nebraska, TCU and Utah look like the top contenders for the 3-star recruit. We're told the Auburn staff sees 4 or even 5-star ability in the 6-feet-3, 215-pound Jordan. Williams is expected to visit him Monday and the Tigers are trying to secure an official visit. We hear they are likely to get it. Jordan is enamored with the SEC and likes Williams a lot. That bodes well for Auburn, which is surging in this recruitment.

CB: Jammie Robinson, Leesburg (Ga.) Lee County: UNCOMMITTED TARGET -- Auburn, Kentucky, South Carolina and Tennessee are the top targets for the 3-star nickel. Forget about Robinson's rating. That's mostly a product of his height (5-feet-11). Many think he was one of the most productive players in the state of Georgia in 2018. Robinson officially visited the Tigers over the weekend and said those four teams previously mentioned are all tied at the top. He won't announce his decision until Feb. 6. Right now, Auburn is trending up.

ATH: Kameron Brown, Sugar Hill (Ga.) Lanier: Auburn offered the 3-star recruit two weeks ago and the Tigers will host him on an official visit this coming weekend. Brown had more than 200 total tackles in 2018 and could play either linebacker or fullback in college. The younger brother of Auburn defensive tackle Derrick Brown, Kameron could jump on board before Feb. 6. 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

https://auburn.247sports.com/ContentGallery/Predicting-the-2019-Auburn-Tigers-football-recruiting-class-127795979/Amp/?__twitter_impression=true

KN’s new class prediction: Still predicts Moore, Pickens, MAR, Jammie Robinson and others but no Griffin.

I think that's because we probably won't take two more running backs. We already have four returning. My thought is that even two signees in this class is one too many and we already have one signed in the early period.

5 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

How many LB's we trying to take? I want all of them. That's a lot of speed at the LB position 

I saw it posted earlier in the cycle that the target is three LB's. That should be good if we don't pirate one for Buck End like we've done the past two years. With one signed, we need two more. 

2 minutes ago, wde1968 said:

I'd say Griffin is the biggest need.

I think we take one more RB and MAR is the top target, Griffin is the fallback. That's just from trying to read the tea leaves.

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I think we take one more RB and MAR is the top target, Griffin is the fallback. That's just from trying to read the tea leaves.

Thanks I had not seen the MAR info. With who he is being "compared" to I'll definitely agree.

7 minutes ago, wde1968 said:

Thanks I had not seen the MAR info. With who he is being "compared" to I'll definitely agree.

Reportedly, MAR rushed for 1,300 yards last season and had 900+ receiving yards. I think the staff likes his versatility. Also, the area he played in is full of top competition so he most likely didn't pile those stats up playing against cup cakes.

9 hours ago, JMassie11 said:

Griffin will be a stud.... really hope we get him over MAR

I agree if Joiner hasn't been or isn't moved to RB. I want 3 potential feature backs on roster. Boobee, DJ, & HJ or JG. MAR could be a feature back but may also be a specialty back.

8 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

https://auburn.247sports.com/ContentGallery/Predicting-the-2019-Auburn-Tigers-football-recruiting-class-127795979/Amp/?__twitter_impression=true

KN’s new class prediction: Still predicts Moore, Pickens, MAR, Jammie Robinson and others but no Griffin. 

Robinson is actually a new edition.

6 hours ago, wde1968 said:

I'd say Griffin is the biggest need.

Disagree for a couple reasons. We already have a RB signed in DJ Williams who can do everything Griffin can & do it with more speed & explosiveness. Also since we already have DJ in the class getting the LB (Brothers) & OL (Bell) from that group of visitors are bigger needs.

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

I saw it posted earlier in the cycle that the target is three LB's. That should be good if we don't pirate one for Buck End like we've done the past two years. With one signed, we need two more. 

Colby Wooden said he's playing buck. And Derick Hall said the coaches will have him at LB. so we technically have 2 LB's signed already. And the coaches have shown real interest in the LB from Kansas, and Brothers. So that's 4 LB's potentially 

3 hours ago, Sizzle said:

Colby Wooden said he's playing buck. And Derick Hall said the coaches will have him at LB. so we technically have 2 LB's signed already. And the coaches have shown real interest in the LB from Kansas, and Brothers. So that's 4 LB's potentially 

Hall Is interpreting the buck as an LB but he will still start out as a buck. So we have one true LB signed and are looking to take two more true linebackers  for a total of three. 

20 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Moultry and Jibunor thought they signed to be linebackers too but both were put at buck the day they walked on campus. As ellitor said above, I think Hall is calling the buck position a linebacker.

Moultry played de in the Alabama/Mississippi all star game and everyone knew he would start at buck. Don’t know what your talking about as to jibunor either since he was seen as a buck entire time 

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

AU will take all 3 if they can get Griffin. MAR isn't the slam dunk to AU like everyone thinks. 

32 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Moultry and Jibunor thought they signed to be linebackers too but both were put at buck the day they walked on campus. As ellitor said above, I think Hall is calling the buck position a linebacker.

Moultry was 100%. Think Moultry could be moved back to LBer this spring. 

6 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

AU will take all 3 if they can get Griffin. MAR isn't the slam dunk to AU like everyone thinks. 

Very glad to hear the first part. I don't see Griffin and Williams being similar backs as an impediment to taking both if we can. Our entire issue at RB has been not having 2 true every-down backs on the roster- at least not 2 healthy, engaged, not-in-the-doghouse ones that Gus is willing to play- at the same time since 2013. 

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Very glad to hear the first part. I don't see Griffin and Williams being similar backs as an impediment to taking both if we can. Our entire issue at RB has been not having 2 true every-down backs on the roster- at least not 2 healthy, engaged, not-in-the-doghouse ones that Gus is willing to play- at the same time since 2013. 

This. 

19 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I suspect Moultry will be arrested for assualt and battery if he plays LB!     He is scary, given a few steps.     I remember his HS film.  The man will absolutely run you down and ruin your day.   

I hope Moultry goes to LB, I earnestly do.  

27 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Be still my heart

33 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Maybe not but Keith is usually more conservative in his picks than you are. He likes AU's chances as do Florida reporters & UF is the biggest competition right now. I do think we take all 3 if we can get them though since we have 26-27 spots in the class & therefore room to address all our needs.

44 minutes ago, auol72 said:

everyone knew he would start at buck.

No everyone didn't. TD reported himself countless times he was recruited by Coach Steele to play the Money LB position. That's different than the Buck. He came to AU as a LB & moved to Buck after being on campus for a while.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Maybe not but Keith is usually more conservative in his picks than you are. He likes AU's chances as do Florida reporters & UF is the biggest competition right now. I do think we take all 3 if we can get them though since we have 26-27 spots in the class & therefore room to address all our needs.

I've said this all along but I don't think MAR is going to AU. He has had plenty of time to commit and continues to hold off time after time. Don't seem to be sold on AU like some say. IMO. Griffin is mad that we slow played him for so long. Just bad bad recruiting at the position again. IMO anyways. 

Archived