The starting lineup

gr82b4au

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

To me Chuma seems to play with an unhealthy respect towards his senior teammates. He needs to demand they play through him not him playing through them. I think taking BB out of the starting group would "free" up Chuma to score more.  It would force Harper to look inside first instead of passing it up to BB. It would force Chuma to start thinking/playing as the first option.

EXACTLY, and then the pairing of Brown and Harper wouldn't be as overbearing and Brown could come and shoot like he does but it's needed more, now you're playing with other guys who may not want to shoot

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, cole256 said:

EXACTLY, and then the pairing of Brown and Harper wouldn't be as overbearing and Brown could come and shoot like he does but it's needed more, now you're playing with other guys who may not want to shoot

EXACTLY!!

People should really listen to us more often. 😁

4 hours ago, noso113 said:

Yeah but looking at Bryce last three games. He shooting about 46% 15/33 from 3 and most of those are off the dribble. Samir and Dunbar are playing well and we make up for mustapha points and a better 3point percent when you combine those 2. . I like the sports reference site because it gives advanced stats,  Conference stats plus more. And before you get on me about Herron and how much we need him St. John’s is 2-3 in conf while Xavier is in front of them.  I would say Herron needs this team a little bit more than we need him  but would love to have him. But that means no minutes for other players such as Samir and Dunbar 

No I'm not going to on you, I chuckled at this though, but yeah if you want to just start at the last 3 games you can convince yourself many things. Being two of the 3 games were against teams that absolutely suck and the other team is marginal good....

And saying two guys can make up one guy is funny. Still waiting on samir to play a really good game against a good team. Well I guess he did against Washington. But you can pick two or so games from samir and say he averages 20....you can skew stats pretty easy. 

And lastly saying because a team isn't good so he needs the team more and all that Brown wouldn't even start at st John's yet alone would single handily make a team a contender. Who on this team could do that? We played Murray state and they lost to us and they have a player that is light years beyond everybody on our team....so what does that mean?

7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

EXACTLY!!

People should really listen to us more often. 😁

The worse thing about us thinking alike is when I say something and it gets nothing then you say it like 3 posts later and it gets 15 likes and loves.....I just look at my phone like 😡

14 minutes ago, cole256 said:

The worse thing about us thinking alike is when I say something and it gets nothing then you say it like 3 posts later and it gets 15 likes and loves.....I just look at my phone like 😡

Worse thing? Nah...I kinda like all those likes.  😁

11 hours ago, bigbird said:

1. Harper         McCormick

2. Doughty      Brown

3. Dunbar        Purifoy

4. Okeke          Mac

5. Wiley           Spencer

Excellent.

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

There ya go. Gave you a like. :D

???

I'd start a lineup that is selected to (1) counter the strengths of the opponent, and (2) maximize the ability of Auburn to attack the opponent's weaknesses. That would CHANGE the starting lineup game to game. We have enough depth and diversity to dictate rather than play by formula. And frankly, there are not many Auburn players right now who are gold-star starters.

Given that perspective, IMO, (1) Harper is da man, (2) Dunbar needs to start in most games, and (3) McLemore needs more time on the floor.

IMO, Wiley is not a winning presence inside right now. He is weak at the basket and not seeing the floor well, and until he earns his minutes on the floor (rather than just being a big guy), he needs to sit more to convince him that he really needs to play with greater authority and team presence.

12 hours ago, Tiger said:

The dribble through the legs size-up he does kills me man. It leads to a shot attempt with a hand in his face every. single. time.

I have zero handles, but I feel like even I have a move that could break someone down better than his. Especially when he does it and drives into a contest

Some of this talk is just madness. Guys go through ups and downs over the course of a career, season, and short stretches. You have to be true to who you are, this team is built to play small. It is what got us to the tournament for the first time in forever last season and is what had us ranked preseason where we were and what has got us to this point this year. In all the games we struggled in, it wasn't just Brown and Harper that struggled, there's plenty of poor play to go around. 

So you want to just scrap everything and go with a lumbering half court set? I can guarantee you won't see that from CBP because he knows that this team is and how it needs to play to be elite. Brown has a bad stretch combined with Doughty's passiveness and Okeke fading away at times and we lose. What we need is to hit the reset button and turn up the dang pace on offense and defense, not scrap the guys that got us here. More press, more half court pressure, and in turn rotate guys more often. 

Harper, Brown, Doughty, Okeke and McLemore is our best starting line-up. I understand starting Wiley and if he was playing at a higher level, I would be all for it, but I would re-insert McLemore to go small and up-tempo. I've said it a hundred times, but Dunbar is perfect as our sixth man. If we get off to a slow start, he brings energy, rebounding and instant offense. The other thing that makes him the perfect sixth man is that he can also come in at the 2, 3, or 4 if someone gets in foul trouble. Nobody else on the team can give us what he can as the 6th man. 

If you stared Harper, Dunbar, Okeke, McLemore, and Wiley what are you going to do with substitutions? What does the style of play look like? When is the last time you saw CBP play a lineup like that? I understand why people advocate for Dunbar to start, he's a good player, but he has more upside coming off the bench. I would get him more minutes though. 

We know the identity of this team, this is not the point in the season to completely try and change who you are and what you do. Just keep grinding and work on areas where we haven't executed like we want to. 

12 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

Some of this talk is just madness. Guys go through ups and downs over the course of a career, season, and short stretches. You have to be true to who you are, this team is built to play small. It is what got us to the tournament for the first time in forever last season and is what had us ranked preseason where we were and what has got us to this point this year. In all the games we struggled in, it wasn't just Brown and Harper that struggled, there's plenty of poor play to go around. 

So you want to just scrap everything and go with a lumbering half court set? I can guarantee you won't see that from CBP because he knows that this team is and how it needs to play to be elite. Brown has a bad stretch combined with Doughty's passiveness and Okeke fading away at times and we lose. What we need is to hit the reset button and turn up the dang pace on offense and defense, not scrap the guys that got us here. More press, more half court pressure, and in turn rotate guys more often. 

Harper, Brown, Doughty, Okeke and McLemore is our best starting line-up. I understand starting Wiley and if he was playing at a higher level, I would be all for it, but I would re-insert McLemore to go small and up-tempo. I've said it a hundred times, but Dunbar is perfect as our sixth man. If we get off to a slow start, he brings energy, rebounding and instant offense. The other thing that makes him the perfect sixth man is that he can also come in at the 2, 3, or 4 if someone gets in foul trouble. Nobody else on the team can give us what he can as the 6th man. 

If you stared Harper, Dunbar, Okeke, McLemore, and Wiley what are you going to do with substitutions? What does the style of play look like? When is the last time you saw CBP play a lineup like that? I understand why people advocate for Dunbar to start, he's a good player, but he has more upside coming off the bench. I would get him more minutes though. 

We know the identity of this team, this is not the point in the season to completely try and change who you are and what you do. Just keep grinding and work on areas where we haven't executed like we want to. 

I agree completely. That’s the same starting lineup I said. Wiley is big and lumbering. Great for a change of pace and great as a rebounding threat throughout the game, but we play more dominant and more to our style with Mac in with the starters. 

On 1/15/2019 at 10:16 AM, Tiger said:

The dribble through the legs size-up he does kills me man. It leads to a shot attempt with a hand in his face every. single. time.

I can sort of see how it gives him a rhythm, but after the 23rd dribble it's long gone. Gotta give him a dribble limit-say 6 then either shoot or pass. 

Loved his passing against thUGA!  

Harper

Brown

Dunbar

Spencer

AMac

At this point I think Dunbar has outplayed Okeke and should start out of the blocks.  If Dunbar having an off night sub Okeke in quickly.  If BB continues to play withing himself like he did against thUGA I'd leave him starting.  Despite what others have thought, I think he does a pretty good job on D.   Again, not playing well, pull him pretty quickly for  Doughy.

I just like the AMac/Spencer combo. They just look like they complement each other really well and both bring the energy.  Play just looks smoother on both ends of the floor.

One of ya''ll mentioned your disbelief that Wiley was held in such high esteem along the lines of the draft and Team USA.  I have to agree. Quite often he appears to have hands of stone early in games, which makes me wonder if there is some sort of warm up he  could do to be better prepared.  Someone else mentioned footwork.  When i watch Okeke I can see how Wiley's footwork is .... heavy and laborious.  Okeke posting up reminds me of Tim Duncan-SMOOTH.

4 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

Nah that's not the best line up. And my line up isn't lumbering at all its much more athletic than yours. I get it you just in love with Brown and you can't let it go, all the reasons you say Dunbar should come off the bench is why Brown should. Now I won't see it because pearl is going to show his loyalty and Brown mentally would probably throw in the town if he was moved to 6th man but nobody's line up is beating mine. 

2 hours ago, AUGoo said:

Harper

Brown

Dunbar

Spencer

AMac

At this point I think Dunbar has outplayed Okeke and should start out of the blocks.  If Dunbar having an off night sub Okeke in quickly.  If BB continues to play withing himself like he did against thUGA I'd leave him starting.  Despite what others have thought, I think he does a pretty good job on D.   Again, not playing well, pull him pretty quickly for  Doughy.

I just like the AMac/Spencer combo. They just look like they complement each other really well and both bring the energy.  Play just looks smoother on both ends of the floor.

One of ya''ll mentioned your disbelief that Wiley was held in such high esteem along the lines of the draft and Team USA.  I have to agree. Quite often he appears to have hands of stone early in games, which makes me wonder if there is some sort of warm up he  could do to be better prepared.  Someone else mentioned footwork.  When i watch Okeke I can see how Wiley's footwork is .... heavy and laborious.  Okeke posting up reminds me of Tim Duncan-SMOOTH.

Okeke is the one guy who effects the game even when he's not shooting well and that's the guy you sit? I dig the Spencer a mac pairing though

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Okeke is the one guy who effects the game even when he's not shooting well and that's the guy you sit? I dig the Spencer a mac pairing though

Your eye is a little sharper than mine.

I just don't see it.

What am i missing? Hustle, rebounding, energy,  steals? I don't see what you're seeing.

Just now, AUGoo said:

Your eye is a little sharper than mine.

I just don't see it.

What am i missing? Hustle, rebounding, energy,  steals? I don't see what you're seeing.

You don't see how he effects the game?

30 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You don't see how he effects the game?

correct.

I don't see what you see that's so special

please explain

He nullifies pick and roll which is the primary offense in college basketball. He leads us in rebounds probably second in assists, probably leads in steals and almost 2 blocks a game. He can guard 3/4 positions. 

He is the guy that's the best defender on the team, he's the most versatile player. He's the youngest in the line up. There's a reason he's the guy on the team that's a first round pick. 

I see the talent.  I just don;t see the result.  The pick and roll coverage is subtle enough, to me, that I don't notice it being anything more special than any of the other guys out there.  Same with rebounding.  I'd be surprised to see those kinds of numbers on rebounds, assists, and steals.  It's very quiet performance if he leads or is at the top in all those categories.   Auburntigers.com has those stats.  Guarding 3/4 postions I have not noticed so much either.

Having just finished watching aTm game.  He got into the flow of the game when he was not paired up with Wiley on the court.  Seems neither end of the court flows very well with Wiley in, I'm sorry to say.

Just looked: #4 in scoring

#1 rebounding

#2 Assists

#1 steals

Wow! Very subtle.  Would not have guessed it.

I tip my hat to you sir!

23 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

I see the talent.  I just don;t see the result.  The pick and roll coverage is subtle enough, to me, that I don't notice it being anything more special than any of the other guys out there.  Same with rebounding.  I'd be surprised to see those kinds of numbers on rebounds, assists, and steals.  It's very quiet performance if he leads or is at the top in all those categories.   Auburntigers.com has those stats.  Guarding 3/4 postions I have not noticed so much either.

Having just finished watching aTm game.  He got into the flow of the game when he was not paired up with Wiley on the court.  Seems neither end of the court flows very well with Wiley in, I'm sorry to say.

Just looked: #4 in scoring

#1 rebounding

#2 Assists

#1 steals

Wow! Very subtle.  Would not have guessed it.

I tip my hat to you sir!

I think that's the sign of a great player, he does it so effortlessly and natural that you can't really tell. He's not pressing, he let the game come to him....which is also frustrating because I'm sure he could do more if he was more aggressive

On 1/15/2019 at 11:20 AM, ClaytonAU said:

I’m not sure what broke him or if he’s just been off, but I hope it shakes off soon. 

BB must of read the forums 

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I think that's the sign of a great player, he does it so effortlessly and natural that you can't really tell. He's not pressing, he let the game come to him....which is also frustrating because I'm sure he could do more if he was more aggressive

He is very smooth in the post.  I guess I have not appreciated that he plays that way in every other facet of the game.

I look forward to that day when he truly gets aggressive for an entire half/game/season.  Hopefully it will be on the Plains.

Archived