Liberals Gone Nuts

Proud Tiger

Liberals seem to be working OT to outdo themselves. Gov. Newsom in CA wants to tax tap  water and ban paper receipts and now NY Mayor DiBlasio wants to be able to seize property. Classic examples of ultra liberalism. Wake up America!!

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/de-blasio-pitches-plan-to-seize-private-property-of-problem-landlords-opponents-cry-communism

31 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Liberals seem to be working OT to outdo themselves. Gov. Newsom in CA wants to tax tap  water and ban paper receipts and now NY Mayor DiBlasio wants to be able to seize property. Classic examples of ultra liberalism. Wake up America!!

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/de-blasio-pitches-plan-to-seize-private-property-of-problem-landlords-opponents-cry-communism

Here's a Deal Blasio quote from your article:

“When a landlord tries to push out a tenant by making their home unlivable, a team of inspectors and law enforcement agents will be on the ground to stop it in time,” he said, according to the New York Daily News. “If the fines and the penalties don’t cut it, we will seize their buildings and we will put them in the hands of a community nonprofit that will treat tenants with the respect they deserve.”

I'm not in NYC, nor am I familiar with the circumstances of owning and renting property in NYC, but a few questions come to mind before we make the jump to hysteria you seem to have made:

1. What are the conditions of neglect referenced by the mayor?  Are those conditions clearly defined and reasonable?

2. What is the timeline for meeting inspection and repair requirements?

3. What laws currently exist to prevent slumlord behavior?

4. There seems to be a process in place for building owners to avoid the seizure mechanism?

5. Would rewriting building condemnation law be more effective than government seizure, i.e. buildings are condemned and a lien is placed until issues are resolved while current tenants have a protected right of occupancy?

All in all this seems like an extreme measure that is tantamount to eminent domain to protect tenants and punish slumlords.  I'm not a fan of eminent domain, but I can see how landlords use unethical and/or illegal strategies to manipulate tenants.  In a city like NYC that is probably a big deal.  No need to be hyperbolic about it.

4 minutes ago, HVAU said:

Here's a Deal Blasio quote from your article:

“When a landlord tries to push out a tenant by making their home unlivable, a team of inspectors and law enforcement agents will be on the ground to stop it in time,” he said, according to the New York Daily News. “If the fines and the penalties don’t cut it, we will seize their buildings and we will put them in the hands of a community nonprofit that will treat tenants with the respect they deserve.”

I'm not in NYC, nor am I familiar with the circumstances of owning and renting property in NYC, but a few questions come to mind before we make the jump to hysteria you seem to have made:

1. What are the conditions of neglect referenced by the mayor?  Are those conditions clearly defined and reasonable?

2. What is the timeline for meeting inspection and repair requirements?

3. What laws currently exist to prevent slumlord behavior?

4. There seems to be a process in place for building owners to avoid the seizure mechanism?

5. Would rewriting building condemnation law be more effective than government seizure, i.e. buildings are condemned and a lien is placed until issues are resolved while current tenants have a protected right of occupancy?

All in all this seems like an extreme measure that is tantamount to eminent domain to protect tenants and punish slumlords.  I'm not a fan of eminent domain, but I can see how landlords use unethical and/or illegal strategies to manipulate tenants.  In a city like NYC that is probably a big deal.  No need to be hyperbolic about it.

I had to give you your like to get you over 666. Not getting to HVAU today Satan!

3 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I had to give you your like to get you over 666. Not getting to HVAU today Satan!

I don't think I play the troll enough to merit that mark upon my profile.  Gracias.

In NYC, the rent control board has historically made it such that some landlords resorted to letting their properties go so that they could have tenants leave and up their rents etc. Slumlord was an often used term in NYC.

On 1/15/2019 at 1:41 PM, Proud Tiger said:

It seems that if you have more education, the less common sense you have. Our colleges and universities, are bastions of idiocy. Flame away!

Archived