qb's - who will start in 2019?

gr82b4au

Who will start? Will anyone transfer teams? Will anyone transfer positions? Let's hear your predictions.

IF everything stays they same as they are today in regards to the players we will have on the roster, here are my predictions (guesses):

* We will start spring with the QBs in the following order: Willis, Gatewood, Cord, and then Bo as the newbie. 

* Coming out of spring practice we will not see a starting QB named. Gatewood will emerge. Bow will show he is an elite talent. All will compete into the summer and fall.

* My prediction is that Gatewood or Bo will start. Willis will either move positions or transfer. Cord - I have no idea. He is the wildcard. 

Of course I have the right to change my guess at any time. hahaha 

What is your guess? 

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cord. 

Not going to give the keys to the Ferrari to Bo in the first game. As for Willis, still hasn't been able make a zone read after two full years of college football. He has skills, but if he can't consistently make the correct read he is of limited value to us as a QB. He also doesn't seem to take coaching very well and no, he's not as fast as Nick Marshall. Gatewood is the wild card to me. Saw him in exactly one game this season and he looked OK against a worn out Purdue defense. He's got Cam sized body and have no idea about the rest of it.  Even Eli Manning sat his first year at Ole Miss because senior Romaro Miller was on the roster.

We won't name a starting QB until less than two weeks before the Oregon game.

Joey Gatewood. I think he is ready. He is a true dual-threat qb and I think our new QB guru will get him where he needs to be to start day 1

2 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

Joey Gatewood. I think he is ready. He is a true dual-threat qb and I think our new QB guru will get him where he needs to be to start day 1

I agree - he's been in the system, knows the playbook and he should've gotten plenty practice reps in Gus' offense.  Dilly will work him like a dog in the off-season (along with the rest of 'em) and I think Joey will take the Oregon game-plan & do well.  

This is such a tough one......assuming we dont bring in any GT to fill the gap....Here are my thoughts. I want it to be Gatewood....but....I will be pleasantly suprised if its Bo.....if he comes in and beats everyone out in year 1....and earns Gus' trust to start as a Freshman.....then that says even more to what we have in him i think...Now I prefer him to redshirt a year and learn. So then I would hope JG starts, So i have a question based off of that question.

Let's say Joey has turned the corner and becomes the starter....and lets say he does a decent to good job throughout the season....Does this cause any issues with Bo Nix? Joey would have at least two years of starting over him maybe more? I guess when i think about it if Bo cant beat him out then thats on him and not our worry. It just worries me because we know how our backus get developed around here....I would worry BN wouldnt get the reps /coaching he needs to earn a decent shot to beat him out

I think it will come down to two vs. two.

If the Bo Nix - Cord Sandberg pair looks strong as a pair, one of them will start. They both can run similar playbooks/systems.

If the Joey Gatewood - Malik Willis pair looks strong as a pair, one of them will start. Again, these two both can run similar playbooks/systems.

I think if the stack rank is Bo, Joey, Malik, Cord, or Joey, Bo, Cord, Malik it will create a problem.

4 hours ago, alexava said:

Well we needed a place to discuss this. 

You may have been joking, and I do find your statement humorous. 

However, in all seriousness, if we could keep the QB discussion contained to this thread throughout the offseason....

1.  It would be a miracle of Biblical proportions!

2.  It would be fantastic to not see 5,000 new threads on the QB discussion.  

With all of that said, this will be a very interesting QB battle that will likely last well into the fall camp.  I would honestly like to see the coaches not name a starter until the first snap of the Oregon game. 

This particular QB battle has as much riding on it as any ever have.  Gus knows he absolutely has to choose wisely here because his job is riding on it.  A slow start and he won’t even make it to October!

Also we have some very intriguing unknowns:

Malik is a 2 year backup, but he hasn’t really had any meaningful time.  He is a quick athlete.  But can he be a successful  QB at this level?  We’re about to find out because it is “Go Time”!

Joey seems to be the shiny new toy on the playground.  People get excited because his size and athleticism remind folks of Cameron J. Newton.  He seems to have a swagger about him that could help him be the leader we need to rally this team to the level of success we have been anticipating for a while now. (Also like Cam).  But again, it’s nothing but unproven potential at this point.  

Cord is more interesting to me than others seem to indicate.  He is a big athletic guy as well.  But he has a few more years of life experience and maturity which can be huge at the QB position.  He also spent that extra time around other professional athletes, so maybe he has learned a little savvy about what it takes to be a successful player.  

Finally, we have Bo.  A legacy player who many of us believe is the future at QB for AU.  The biggest question is when does “the future” start?   A TF QB starter in the SECWest is an enormous task for the best of the best.  Plus, this is quite literally a “do or die”, job-on-the-line season for Gustav.   It would be a huge risk to put your future in the hands of a true freshman QB.  

I genuinely think it is a 4 man race at this point.  Hopefully it will be mostly a 2 man race after the Spring.   I am eagerly anticipating how this plays out, for several obvious reasons.  

25 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Plus, this is quite literally a “do or die”, job-on-the-line season for Gustav

I have to respectfully disagree with you on this point. The contract is why Gus is still here, and the contract is why he will be here until the buy out is small

enough to swallow. Thank you Steven Leath!

I don't think we will know who the starting QB will be until well into fall. In the end I think Gatewood is named the starter.

5 hours ago, tbone4jc said:

He is a true dual-threat qb...

You do realize that in order to be a dual threat one has to be an accurate passer... consistently.

I made my prediction a couple times in other threads. I think it’s Bo. Not my preference one way or the other. I like Joey’s size and athleticism but haven’t seen enough passing to think he’s got it. I don’t automatically count the other two out either. I just see too much upside to Bo. I ain’t trying to predict any transfer or position change either. Just letting it play out. 

For everyone thinking Nix will waltz in and start... Remember this...

Trevor Lawrence didn't start the season as QB1. And Justin Fields barely got to play at UGA. 

It usually takes some time to get a TF ready to start

3 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I would honestly like to see the coaches not name a starter until the first snap of the Oregon game. 

You do realize if we let the QB race go that far into Fall practices, it's basically wasting the entire Fall practice... We need to name a starter as soon as possible to get them reps with the 1s. 

8 hours ago, gravejd said:

i'm picking whoever the grad transfer turns out to be

Gus appears to be swinging for the fences on the grad transfer thing.   I am putting my money on that.  Also that should be disturbing.  Why does Gus want a GT so  bad?  Are the QBs on the roster not improving, as usual with Gus?

1 minute ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

Gatewood, Nix, or a transfer. It will not be Willis or Cord. 

Why not Cord?  I was kind of surprised we did not seem him at all against Purdue?

I know I’m in the minority’s, but I still say it is Willis for the following reasons:

1. Bo Nix has A LOT of potential, but there’s still a huge jump from competition from high school to college. We’ve had other guys show up with almost as much hype in the past (most notably Frazier and Johnson), and none of them have panned out.  Now, I think Bo will be successful where they weren’t. But the fact remains that those 2 quarterbacks were highly touted coming out of high school, and neither was able to make the jump. As a result, I’m always going to be skeptical about starting a true frosh quarterback. 

2. Cord Sandberg... It would be a great story, but I just don’t see it. Coming out of high school he got very little attention from teams, and the best team he was able to really get attention from was Miss State. That was before he stepped away from football for several years. He wasn’t good enough to start for Auburn a few years ago. Why would he be good enough after leaving football completely for a few years? Given his circumstances, he’s probably less talented than he was coming out of high school when we weren’t interested.

3. Ultimately, I could easily see a scenario where Gatewood won the job before I could see the previous 2. The deciding factor for me between Gatewood and Willis is that Gatewood was clearly behind Willis on the depth chart all season. Granted, he could take some major steps forward in the offseason. But I think that says something. If Gatewood has surpassed Willis, I think they would have played him more. 

4. I think a lot of people are writing Willis off because of “meh” play in garbage time. But, truth be told, I don’t think we’ve seen Willis’s full capabilities. When he’s come in during games, it’s mostly been in garbage time where the other team knew we weren’t going to throw the ball. Most of his throws were on third and long. I haven’t seen enough of Willis to write him off like I think some folks are doing.

So my vote is for Willis, but I could definitely see Gatewood winning it. Sandberg is too old and out of practice. Bo just won’t be ready by fall. I’m going to do my “mark my words” early this year. If we start Bo, we have a 2012 like season and Gus is gone after the year is over, because it means we have no one ready to play QB in the SEC.

Iono, but I must say it time to let the GTs go. We got 4 QBs this spring. Let figure this thing out. MW will probably be #1 just due to experience with Gus, but boy he better put in that work this spring. With that being said, I am interesting in seeing these guys pass the ball. I got caught up in JG run, but let see if this kid can pass the ball. I am thinking Bo might come into camp with that on lock..it will be interesting for sure.

I really have no idea, I believe it is wide open. I would not be surprised if anyone of the QBs on the roster starts against Oregon. Hopefully someone will distinguish themselves in the Spring.

Joey G vs O

Willis vs Tulane

Cord vs Kent St

Bo vs aTm

Joey G vs Miss St

Willis vs Florida

Cord vs Ark

Bo vs LSU

Joey G vs Ole Miss

Bo vs GA

Willis vs Samford

Bo vs Bama

Bo 's Redshirt still in play depending on the sec champ game and playoffs needs 😉

Archived