qb's - who will start in 2019?

gr82b4au

12 minutes ago, kd4au said:

Having said that I think the QB 's should be live this spring and see what they can really do under pressure.

Gonna dust off a classic here: This x 1,000,000

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, alexava said:

Whoever wins it will have his bumps. 

and should.

get rid of all this candy - a__  stuff.    Steel sharpens steel.  

26 minutes ago, Beaker said:

and should.

get rid of all this candy - a__  stuff.    Steel sharpens steel.  

I was referring to growing pains, interceptions, bad decisions. It won’t be smooth sailing 100%. 

But I agree with you too   

6 minutes ago, alexava said:

I was referring to growing pains, interceptions, bad decisions. It won’t be smooth sailing 100%. 

But I agree with you too   

Good point. And the fans will call for the backup immediately. (No matter who starts, but especially if the starter isn't Joey or Bo.)

We just need Gus to keep a level head and have confidence in his guy and give him some space to make those mistakes and learn from them. 

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Good point. And the fans will call for the backup immediately. (No matter who starts, but especially if the starter isn't Joey or Bo.)

We just need Gus to keep a level head and have confidence in his guy and give him some space to make those mistakes and learn from them. 

would a sedative help?   my wife is a pharmacist.   

I think Bo going through the spring will be huge for him.  I could see a fiasco against Oregon where he tries multiple QB’s with either Bo or Cord eventually emerging as he starter after the first couple of games.  I was very impressed with Malik that spring game when he was a freshman but it just looks like he has gone backwards unless, like some have said, he has been limited during garbage time.  The few times we have seen JG trying to pass you have to admit it didn’t look good.  I certainly hope somebody emerges during the spring and it’s a non-issue the first game but based on past history with Gus I doubt it.  

7 hours ago, McLoofus said:

He stated that he just wanted to go somewhere where he was getting a full ride and had a shot to compete for the job. I don't think he's a "start or transfer" guy. Could be wrong, though. 

Right. My impression is Sandberg is having his education paid for, enjoys participating in organized sports but realizes he does not have a future in the NFL, and is cutting a wide swath through the coed population of Auburn. He is not going anywhere.

• WarTiger changed the title to qb's - who will start in 2019?

Depends on online....if they can get a push and AU can run the ball effectively with pace Joey gets my nod for the start with Bo being his backup. Cord will be #3 and Malik will switch positions or play one more year and transfer to a FCS or UCF/Troy like school and ball out.

1 hour ago, SumterAubie said:

Right. My impression is Sandberg is having his education paid for, enjoys participating in organized sports but realizes he does not have a future in the NFL, and is cutting a wide swath through the coed population of Auburn. He is not going anywhere.

Not being mean but I’m pretty sure that Cord was pretty high ranked coming out of high school but took the baseball money first.  Also Gus has no hesitation in playing him in mop up duty last year. I’m not saying he will be the starter but I am saying folks shouldn’t be writing him off just because it’s been a while since he came out of HS. TIFWIW

Best case IMO is Music City Joey also is a good passer and Auburn is able to redshirt Bo.  Malik or Cord 2nd.  If Joey can ball out then Auburn could be dangerous on offense.  That would give Nix a year to get bigger.  2020 you’d have Joey going for a Cam like season and Nix #2.  I know recent freshmen have done well but that’s a lot of stress to shoulder.

I really have to hear more about this. I can easily see Malik or Joey starting. I don’t think Bo will be ready, but I could see him starting if the other two have not progressed. (As I said previously, I think Bo starting is a bad sign that the cupboard is empty at QB. Starting a true frosh is usually not a good thing.)

But I’m confused by this Sandberg mancrush that some folks have on here. Mediocre QB in high school with most of his offers coming from second rate programs like Mississippi State. Hadn’t played football in 5 years when he walked on. Was clearly fourth on the depth chart last year. All we saw of him last year was against the worst team we played all year in garbage time at the end of the game, and I don’t think he even attempted a pass. 

Am I missing something? Are people just wanting a feel good story? What’s with the Sandberg hype??

8 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Best case IMO is Music City Joey also is a good passer and Auburn is able to redshirt Bo.  Malik or Cord 2nd.  If Joey can ball out then Auburn could be dangerous on offense.  That would give Nix a year to get bigger.  2020 you’d have Joey going for a Cam like season and Nix #2.  I know recent freshmen have done well but that’s a lot of stress to shoulder.

The freshmen that have succeeded have usually redshirted and have been in their second year on the team.

1 hour ago, AUFriction said:

I really have to hear more about this. I can easily see Malik or Joey starting. I don’t think Bo will be ready, but I could see him starting if the other two have not progressed. (As I said previously, I think Bo starting is a bad sign that the cupboard is empty at QB. Starting a true frosh is usually not a good thing.)

But I’m confused by this Sandberg mancrush that some folks have on here. Mediocre QB in high school with most of his offers coming from second rate programs like Mississippi State. Hadn’t played football in 5 years when he walked on. Was clearly fourth on the depth chart last year. All we saw of him last year was against the worst team we played all year in garbage time at the end of the game, and I don’t think he even attempted a pass. 

Am I missing something? Are people just wanting a feel good story? What’s with the Sandberg hype??

You are confused.  He was a good in High School, took Manatee to its 1st State Championship in 19 years and took them to another.  His first two seasons he threw for over 5k yards and 44 touchdowns and ran for almost 1400 yards with 20 TDs.  His dad played pro baseball and was an assistant coach on the football.  He had football offers as a sophomore in football...yeah even from Auburn yeah don't forget Clemson...I think Gus was the OC then and of course Gus left but he still had an offer from Loeffler... Dude decided that he preferred Baseball as the coach down here at the time had a lot of pro contacts with scouts etc...While in HS he was a very solid QB that led the team really well.  But keep on calling AU & Clemson second rate or you could check some facts.   I get it you may not know alot about him but try to find out some facts about the kid.  Also he was 4th because he showed up right before the season...I get it he may not work out or get the start but he is pretty solid athlete.

I can tell you one thing—I have watched enough of one of these quarterbacks, who will remain unnamed because we’re not supposed to bash anyone, that is so unbelievably horribly bad at the zone read it is painful to watch. Great big open hole to the left and he hands off the ball to the running back to go to the right. Time after time.  I do not personally recall ever seeing him make the correct zone read.   Ever.   Just absurd decision making.  He’ll never play another snap in my opinion, and he shouldn’t. Not bashing, just telling it like it is. It’s a three QB race and more than likely a 2 QB race, Although I still think Cord Sandberg is probably better than people think he is.

I think Gatewood will be the man and will be one of the most pleasant surprises in the SEC at the QB position. Coach Dilly will have him playing at a level to win in the conference. I think a year of learning for Bo will be in the cards and if Gatewood slips, then we could see Bo. I really think if Gatewood will emerge this spring, then he will do the job.

Don't be surprise to see all 4 play in the Oregon game....(Clemson-like game last year).....

10 hours ago, MaitlandTiger said:

I can tell you one thing—I have watched enough of one of these quarterbacks, who will remain unnamed because we’re not supposed to bash anyone, that is so unbelievably horribly bad at the zone read it is painful to watch. Great big open hole to the left and he hands off the ball to the running back to go to the right. Time after time.  I do not personally recall ever seeing him make the correct zone read.   Ever.   Just absurd decision making.  He’ll never play another snap in my opinion, and he shouldn’t. Not bashing, just telling it like it is. It’s a three QB race and more than likely a 2 QB race, Although I still think Cord Sandberg is probably better than people think he is.

I think you might as well name him..

13 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Not being mean but I’m pretty sure that Cord was pretty high ranked coming out of high school but took the baseball money first.  Also Gus has no hesitation in playing him in mop up duty last year. I’m not saying he will be the starter but I am saying folks shouldn’t be writing him off just because it’s been a while since he came out of HS. TIFWIW

I think both things are true, personally. He is both a serious candidate to start- it's crazy how people sleep on his credentials- and a guy who will be a dedicated, hard-working backup if he doesn't. 

12 hours ago, AUFriction said:

But I’m confused by this Sandberg mancrush

This is the kind of hyperbole that turns conversations into arguments. It's a man crush just to say a guy that Dan Mullen recruited- the same Dan Mullen who won 2 national championships as an OC and had Mississippi State ranked #1 in the country for a minute, has coached a Heisman winner who couldn't even stick as an NFL backup and the starting QB for the Dallas Cowboys, got far more production out of Nick Fitzgerald as a first year starter than he has had in the 2 years since Mullen left, and who has Florida as a likely preseason top 10- might be pretty good and might be able to start over 1) a true freshman, 2) a guy who wasn't a full-time starter in high school and who barely got any more reps than Sandberg did last season, and 3) a 3* ATH who has shown really poor decision making and has only thrown 14 passes over 2 seasons as QB2? 

Mediocre QB in high school

4* out of high school, #8 dual threat QB in the country, #232 overall recruit in the country, see stats that @AU_Tiger_88 posted

with most of his offers coming from second rate programs like Mississippi State

See above about Dan Mullen and again what 88 posted

Hadn’t played football in 5 years when he walked on

Which means he's a full grown man and not some kid still trying to adjust to college. He's got as much time in the system as Gatewood and more than Nix. And he didn't walk on. He's got a full ride.

Was clearly fourth on the depth chart last year. All we saw of him last year was against the worst team we played all year in garbage time at the end of the game, and I don’t think he even attempted a pass. 

He didn't attempt a pass, he completed one. More than Joey can say and more than Nix can say at the college level. 

You're missing a lot. People want the best QB to start. Nobody is "hyping" Sandberg, but a few of y'all sure are crapping on him without even knowing anything about him.

9 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Gus malzahn by proxy

Yep, it doesn’t matter the skills of our next QB, he has to think like Gus on the field.  Otherwise we get the Gus stink face on the sidelines.

Archived