qb's - who will start in 2019?

gr82b4au

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My predicted progression of QB-centric events:

• Gatewood named the starter late in fall camp.
  • Willis transfers.
  • Coaches firmly plan to red shirt Nix.
  • Cord named 2rd string QB, but knows he's only providing red shirt protection for Nix.
  • Cord transfers.
  • Nix becomes 2nd string QB behind Gatewood, quite possibly losing red shirt in the process.
  • Who knows what will happen after that?

This guy is making one last comeback!!!!! Gus just got his biggest recruiting win of his tenure!!!! 

favre.gif

On 1/18/2019 at 1:07 PM, wde1968 said:

If it's anyone besides Joey or Bo it's gonna be a long long season.

Got plenty of faith in Sandberg. Not to get us to ATL, but capable of 7-8 wins as a starter. I don't believe any of the QBs can get us to 9+ wins.

On 1/16/2019 at 9:17 PM, AUFriction said:

I know I’m in the minority’s, but I still say it is Willis for the following reasons:

1. Bo Nix has A LOT of potential, but there’s still a huge jump from competition from high school to college. We’ve had other guys show up with almost as much hype in the past (most notably Frazier and Johnson), and none of them have panned out.  Now, I think Bo will be successful where they weren’t. But the fact remains that those 2 quarterbacks were highly touted coming out of high school, and neither was able to make the jump. As a result, I’m always going to be skeptical about starting a true frosh quarterback. 

2. Cord Sandberg... It would be a great story, but I just don’t see it. Coming out of high school he got very little attention from teams, and the best team he was able to really get attention from was Miss State. That was before he stepped away from football for several years. He wasn’t good enough to start for Auburn a few years ago. Why would he be good enough after leaving football completely for a few years? Given his circumstances, he’s probably less talented than he was coming out of high school when we weren’t interested.

3. Ultimately, I could easily see a scenario where Gatewood won the job before I could see the previous 2. The deciding factor for me between Gatewood and Willis is that Gatewood was clearly behind Willis on the depth chart all season. Granted, he could take some major steps forward in the offseason. But I think that says something. If Gatewood has surpassed Willis, I think they would have played him more. 

4. I think a lot of people are writing Willis off because of “meh” play in garbage time. But, truth be told, I don’t think we’ve seen Willis’s full capabilities. When he’s come in during games, it’s mostly been in garbage time where the other team knew we weren’t going to throw the ball. Most of his throws were on third and long. I haven’t seen enough of Willis to write him off like I think some folks are doing.

So my vote is for Willis, but I could definitely see Gatewood winning it. Sandberg is too old and out of practice. Bo just won’t be ready by fall. I’m going to do my “mark my words” early this year. If we start Bo, we have a 2012 like season and Gus is gone after the year is over, because it means we have no one ready to play QB in the SEC.

What little I saw of Willis would lead me to believe that he is not capable of being a QB that would win in the SEC.   As far as Cord, I would say that Dan Mullen has a better track record of evaluating QB talent than Gus.   So therefore, I think Cord is the biggest unknowns and possible the best option for winning next year.  Never underestimate maturity.   I think that he might be the wild card

I have never seen Cord get hyped until someone claimed he was being hyped in this thread.  Then he started getting hyped. I bet no other fan base in the country predicts, recommends or wishes transfers of their own players like ours does.

Bo is a wild card.

Unlike most (any?) other highly touted QB we have recruited, he has been taught by a college QB level coach. How many high school QB coaches were SEC starters? How many have been assistant coaches at a major level?

So Bo Nix has had a high quality QB coach his entire HS career.

That means it is not just raw talent, which it was with Keihl Frazier and Jeremy Johnson

The drawback is Bo Nix has had only one QB coach his entire career. Pat Nix was even the QB coach for the Under Armour game. So how will Bo adapt to a different coach?

I think Bo Nix is far more "coached up" than any QB we have gotten ever in the history of Auburn. He many not have the raw talent of a Tua Tagovailoa or a Trevor Lawrence, but there are few high schools with top caliber QB coaching (IMG, and others with QB coaches with former major college or pro experience).

If Bo can adapt to a new and different QB coach, and adapt quickly, my guess is easily two years ahead of what we have come to expect of new QBs.

The last part of this is how Bo adapts to the increase in competitive level of the defenses he will face. These are not 190lb high school OLBs he will be facing. If he is mentally and physically tough, and has a confidence that is not easily shaken, I think he can easily be a true freshman starter like Jalen Hurts or Trevor Lawrence.

On 1/17/2019 at 9:02 AM, Mikey said:

He's not that interested in a GT. He never gave the kid from Oklahoma a committable offer and didn't return the interest Buffalo's Jackson showed in Auburn. He needs to swing for the fences because just any ole GT will do nothing but muddy the water. We don't want a GT unless he's the next thing to Superman.

I will believe that.

14 hours ago, meh130 said:

Bo is a wild card.

Unlike most (any?) other highly touted QB we have recruited, he has been taught by a college QB level coach. How many high school QB coaches were SEC starters? How many have been assistant coaches at a major level?

So Bo Nix has had a high quality QB coach his entire HS career.

That means it is not just raw talent, which it was with Keihl Frazier and Jeremy Johnson

The drawback is Bo Nix has had only one QB coach his entire career. Pat Nix was even the QB coach for the Under Armour game. So how will Bo adapt to a different coach?

I think Bo Nix is far more "coached up" than any QB we have gotten ever in the history of Auburn. He many not have the raw talent of a Tua Tagovailoa or a Trevor Lawrence, but there are few high schools with top caliber QB coaching (IMG, and others with QB coaches with former major college or pro experience).

If Bo can adapt to a new and different QB coach, and adapt quickly, my guess is easily two years ahead of what we have come to expect of new QBs.

The last part of this is how Bo adapts to the increase in competitive level of the defenses he will face. These are not 190lb high school OLBs he will be facing. If he is mentally and physically tough, and has a confidence that is not easily shaken, I think he can easily be a true freshman starter like Jalen Hurts or Trevor Lawrence.

His biggest concern or where I think he’s going to need to adapt is the closing speed of sec dbs. He made a living throwing to receivers that sat in openings all over the field ( including the middle). He would place the ball in tight holes. It’s going to be a learning experience for sure. I’m also sure Patrick has him aware of this. 

On 1/18/2019 at 2:31 PM, KolchakAU85 said:

My predicted progression of QB-centric events:

• Gatewood named the starter late in fall camp.
  • Willis transfers.
  • Coaches firmly plan to red shirt Nix.
  • Cord named 2rd string QB, but knows he's only providing red shirt protection for Nix.
  • Cord transfers.
  • Nix becomes 2nd string QB behind Gatewood, quite possibly losing red shirt in the process.
  • Who knows what will happen after that?

I can add to that: 

After the aforementioned transfers and Joey's injury that he sustains in the Tulane game, Bo comes in and manages a couple of wins, including the TAMU game.   Boobie has a breakout season and the O line gels.   Bo goes into the UGA with one loss (LSU AGAIN! - gosh I am starting to hate LSU) and Auburn is ranked #6.

Bo just keeps winning and Auburn is #4 when he beats bama and becomes a contender to win the Heisman.  Bama has 3 losses now and Saban retires that Sunday.  

Bad news: Bo loses the heisman to Trevor Lawrence.  TD Moultry is charged with manslaughter after he is moved to LB and just 'kills' 1 WR and 2 RBs.  

17 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I can add to that: 

After the aforementioned transfers and Joey's injury that he sustains in the Tulane game, Bo comes in and manages a couple of wins, including the TAMU game.   Boobie has a breakout season and the O line gels.   Bo goes into the UGA with one loss (LSU AGAIN! - gosh I am starting to hate LSU) and Auburn is ranked #6.

Bo just keeps winning and Auburn is #4 when he beats bama and becomes a contender to win the Heisman.  Bama has 3 losses now and Saban retires that Sunday.  

Bad news: Bo loses the heisman to Trevor Lawrence.  TD Moultry is charged with manslaughter after he is moved to LB and just 'kills' 1 WR and 2 RBs.  

You had me right up until Bo's Heisman bid and Moultry's killing spree.

The key in the OP was the last sentence, what is your guess. There's not enough info from anybody to really know. 

We don't know how accurate any of them are, don't know how they handle pressure, we really don't know who can run well and actually sustain hits. We don't know if any are elusive as that's two different things. 

We actually rely on someone else to tell us of a QB is a dual threat or not and the more athletic you are the more you are stereotyped to be the complete opposite as far as throwing the ball. We don't know hardly anything

Willis doesn't even fit into the picture.  I wish Gus would inform him of that now, so he could make plans to transfer and we could quit wasting keystrokes in typing his name.  He's not an SEC QB and will be eliminated from the race early in spring.  Malzahn will be drooling all over himself wanting Nix to become another Trevor Lawrence.  The race will be between Nix and Gatewood.

I think Gatewood will be the better runner, and he knows the offense better than Nix will, given that Gatewood has been in the system for a year.  The decision on which to start will heavily hinge on whether Gatewood can throw the ball.

Can yall imagine being a highly-touted, 18-year-old, true freshman QB prospect in the SEC?  Being talked about as a possible first-year starter?  Playing LSU, UGA, and UA every year?  I would fold under that pressure, even before spring practice began.

On 1/17/2019 at 9:09 PM, MaitlandTiger said:

I can tell you one thing—I have watched enough of one of these quarterbacks, who will remain unnamed because we’re not supposed to bash anyone, that is so unbelievably horribly bad at the zone read it is painful to watch. Great big open hole to the left and he hands off the ball to the running back to go to the right. Time after time.  I do not personally recall ever seeing him make the correct zone read.   Ever.   Just absurd decision making.  He’ll never play another snap in my opinion, and he shouldn’t. Not bashing, just telling it like it is. It’s a three QB race and more than likely a 2 QB race, Although I still think Cord Sandberg is probably better than people think he is.

It’s obvious who you are talking about, but I think you are making too much of an inferential leap. Some of the plays that look like zone read or inverted veer are called handoffs or called QB keeps. I saw an interview with someone on our team back in like 2013 (can’t remember which player) where he said that the majority of the zone read looking run plays were not real reads and that the person who ended up with the ball was determined presnap. It could be that he’s terrible at the zone read, or it could be that the coaches were dictating designed handoffs that weren’t well blocked.

21 hours ago, aubaseball said:

What little I saw of Willis would lead me to believe that he is not capable of being a QB that would win in the SEC.   As far as Cord, I would say that Dan Mullen has a better track record of evaluating QB talent than Gus.   So therefore, I think Cord is the biggest unknowns and possible the best option for winning next year.  Never underestimate maturity.   I think that he might be the wild card

The bolded, italicized, and underlined text is kind of my point.

3 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

It’s obvious who you are talking about, but I think you are making too much of an inferential leap. Some of the plays that look like zone read or inverted veer are called handoffs or called QB keeps. I saw an interview with someone on our team back in like 2013 (can’t remember which player) where he said that the majority of the zone read looking run plays were not real reads and that the person who ended up with the ball was determined presnap.

MW had a better 2017 at QB than 2018. I’m not sure why he regressed.   The one time I know he had a true RPO was in the UGA game in 2017 where he hit #17 McClain (I believe) for a nice gain.  Gus yelled at him the next play “don’t throw it” from the sidelines.

The times Gus gave him the stink eye when he left the game are the ones he didn’t make the correct read.  Other than those two instances it’s hard to tell if it’s true zone read or a predetermined play.  The 2013 reference, I would think, would be earlier in the season because NM was a magician as he gained experience.  Gus needs to find a QB he can trust as much as he did NM.

Archived