qb's - who will start in 2019?

gr82b4au

I think we will see someone break out this spring.  However, I think we could see JG take the lead and Bo come in as a change up.  I wouldn't surprised to see Cord come out of the mix.  I have seen him play where I haven't seen the others.  I am not so sure on MW as we didn't get to see much of him the past couple of years which is a shame.  We should have seen more of the backups in some of the games the past couple of years....I just hope we put the best one out there no matter who it is.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, bigbird said:

You do realize that in order to be a dual threat one has to be an accurate passer... consistently.

What have you seen that says JG isn't?  

13 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

That’s the issue. We haven’t seen enough of either JG or MW in terms of passing. This needs to be addressed. You cannot be one dimensional with the way DCs have adapted. 

42 minutes ago, DAG said:

That’s the issue. We haven’t seen enough of either JG or MW in terms of passing. This needs to be addressed. You cannot be one dimensional with the way DCs have adapted. 

I wouldn’t say that’s necessarily a sign that they can’t pass as much as it was because we had large leads in those games. Gus isn’t Saban. He isn’t going to be a jerk and run up the score. Kneeling at the 1 yard line in the bowl game should tell you that. That’s why I don’t think we can make much of the film we have on any of our quarterbacks. When the back ups went in, Gus’s goal became to run out the clock. 

I cant say I completely agree with this strategy, but it’s also hard to say game reps against a team that is being destroyed is really going to do that much in terms of development. In fact, I’d argue that it could make them overconfident. If Willis put up madden numbers against Purdue’s back ups, it COULD make him think he’s better than he really is and he might not work as hard in the off-season. 

3 hours ago, tbone4jc said:

Not much at all, just the swing pass during the bowl game thrown 2 yards behind the back.

What have you seen that says he is?

There isn't enough to go on. Just stating you need to be able to do both well. Otherwise you end up with Drew Bledsoe or JF3

8 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

Why not Cord?  I was kind of surprised we did not seem him at all against Purdue?

If Cord were to be starting material, I feel like he would've been ahead of Willis last season. Given how it's not so taboo to start a freshman QB anymore, I really think Nix will be the starter by week 4 if not to start the season. 

I don't see Cord starting. 

Willis and Gatewood need to be able to throw. Both of those have made themselves with their feet, but if we're just a read-option team next year with no significant passing game...we're toast. 

Nix will be new. I doubt he starts game one, but given Gus' penchant for taking half a season to figure everything out, I think he'll be the starter by the end of the year. 

7 hours ago, AUFriction said:

I wouldn’t say that’s necessarily a sign that they can’t pass as much as it was because we had large leads in those games. Gus isn’t Saban. He isn’t going to be a jerk and run up the score. Kneeling at the 1 yard line in the bowl game should tell you that. That’s why I don’t think we can make much of the film we have on any of our quarterbacks. When the back ups went in, Gus’s goal became to run out the clock. 

I cant say I completely agree with this strategy, but it’s also hard to say game reps against a team that is being destroyed is really going to do that much in terms of development. In fact, I’d argue that it could make them overconfident. If Willis put up madden numbers against Purdue’s back ups, it COULD make him think he’s better than he really is and he might not work as hard in the off-season. 

Never said they couldn’t pass and what does Saban have to do with how Gus coaches? Lol. Let go of what Saban does. That should be #1 memo for auburn fans. Lastly, we need to see how all four of these QBs pass in different circumstances. That should be the highest priority of picking a QB imo. I honestly don’t care anymore how athletic one needs to be.

I can see Joey Gatewood being another Tebow/Cam. I could also see JG being another Kiehl Fraser. I think Cord starts game one. If we win, Cord is the guy Gus will ride into heaven or hell and his coaching future will be on the back of a 43 year old grown man QB. If we lose, he quickly turns to Bo, who plays the season out.

If Gus cannot secure a graduate transfer, in yet another desperate attempt to hide his inability to evaluate and develop an QB out of high school, then I predict  2016/2017 scenario where no QB will work out and Gus will panic and play musical chairs.

11 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

For everyone thinking Nix will waltz in and start... Remember this...

Trevor Lawrence didn't start the season as QB1. And Justin Fields barely got to play at UGA. 

It usually takes some time to get a TF ready to start

You do realize if we let the QB race go that far into Fall practices, it's basically wasting the entire Fall practice... We need to name a starter as soon as possible to get them reps with the 1s. 

Lawrence had an incumbent who took Clemson to the playoffs starting ahead of him the first few games. Fields was playing behind a true sophomore QB who, if I'm not mistaken, started from game 1 in Athens. It does usually take a true freshman time to get ready to start, but Nix has been around his dad's coaching all his life, so he has a leg up even on the normal coach's son QBs, and he'll be going through spring practice to acclimate.

I agree completely that we need to name a starter as soon as possible.

As for my prediction, I'm torn. I sincerely doubt it will be Sandberg (think he's going to be a career backup, barring injuries). I have my doubts about Willis, as well, though he could surprise us all once he's operating the full offense. If I had to put money on it, I would say Gatewood starts the season, and then depending upon how he does, he either locks down the position or gives way to Nix at some point.

As far as transfers go, I could see Willis going to a smaller school, but something tells me he's okay with being the backup. Gatewood is another story; if he doesn't win the job, he might be willing to change positions (he did play receiver in high school while splitting reps at QB), but more likely he will transfer to another school. Which would be a bloomin' shame, because he has all the tools to be a great one, just right now I feel more comfortable that Nix is the ultimate future of the position and Joey will have to make a move to get on the field. Would be pretty awesome, though, if he'd switch to WR and give us another red zone threat in the passing game, as well as the ability to line up in the Wildcat without substituting and allowing the defense to adjust, while also retaining the ability to keep the defense honest by throwing the ball, a la Tebow his freshman year.

If Gatewood DOES win the starting job, however, I don't think Nix transfers. I think he'll redshirt, remaining a year behind Joey G, and at worst start for two years after Gatewood goes pro (with those measurables, if he starts at Auburn for three years, I think he leaves early).

9 hours ago, AUallday said:

Joey G vs O

Willis vs Tulane

Cord vs Kent St

Bo vs aTm

Joey G vs Miss St

Willis vs Florida

Cord vs Ark

Bo vs LSU

Joey G vs Ole Miss

Bo vs GA

Willis vs Samford

Bo vs Bama

Bo 's Redshirt still in play depending on the sec champ game and playoffs needs 😉

Be honest here; were you involved in the 2016 Clemson game planning?

15 hours ago, CodeRocket said:

I have to respectfully disagree with you on this point. The contract is why Gus is still here, and the contract is why he will be here until the buy out is small

enough to swallow. Thank you Steven Leath!

I don't think we will know who the starting QB will be until well into fall. In the end I think Gatewood is named the starter.

I lean your way relative to AU retaining Gus.  His contract doesn't reduce significantly until 2022, and then it would still cost +$10mm.

This contract is financially unmanageable unless the AU Admin were indeed able to get him to agree to a reduction after the '18 IB, which Gus claims was never even discussed. 

His top priority after kicking Uga/Uat's ass in '17 and making it to ATL was job security, he succeeded in getting exactly what he wanted.

21 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Who will start? Will anyone transfer teams? Will anyone transfer positions? Let's hear your predictions.

IF everything stays they same as they are today in regards to the players we will have on the roster, here are my predictions (guesses):

* We will start spring with the QBs in the following order: Willis, Gatewood, Cord, and then Bo as the newbie. 

* Coming out of spring practice we will not see a starting QB named. Gatewood will emerge. Bow will show he is an elite talent. All will compete into the summer and fall.

* My prediction is that Gatewood or Bo will start. Willis will either move positions or transfer. Cord - I have no idea. He is the wildcard. 

Of course I have the right to change my guess at any time. hahaha 

What is your guess? 

I'm hoping this is the scenario. 

12 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

Gus appears to be swinging for the fences on the grad transfer thing.   I am putting my money on that.  Also that should be disturbing.  Why does Gus want a GT so  bad?  Are the QBs on the roster not improving, as usual with Gus?

He's not that interested in a GT. He never gave the kid from Oklahoma a committable offer and didn't return the interest Buffalo's Jackson showed in Auburn. He needs to swing for the fences because just any ole GT will do nothing but muddy the water. We don't want a GT unless he's the next thing to Superman.

Barring Gus pulling a grad transfer QB, how likely is it he's able to keep 4 QBs on the roster all gunning for the starting spot?  Sandburg/Gatewood/Willis/Nix - that's a lot of testosterone vying for the same position.  

Looking across the conference, I'm not sure another program is so crowded at the QB position.

4 minutes ago, keesler said:

Barring Gus pulling a grad transfer QB, how likely is it he's able to keep 4 QBs on the roster all gunning for the starting spot?  Sandburg/Gatewood/Willis/Nix - that's a lot of testosterone vying for the same position.  

Looking across the conference, I'm not sure another program is so crowded at the QB position.

Well....I think If Nix starts....Then JG will probably leave...i would prefer him to switch to TE/WR but i fear he woud depart...Malik I dont think would make it anywhere as a D1 QB so i think he probably stays on as a backup.....Cord,....Im not sure on him.....Its interesting situation with him being older and having made some money in Baseball...who knows what his real ambitions are, If Joey starts, I think everybody stays...maybe Malik changes positions.

30 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

who knows what his real ambitions are

He stated that he just wanted to go somewhere where he was getting a full ride and had a shot to compete for the job. I don't think he's a "start or transfer" guy. Could be wrong, though. 

5 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Knowing Gus we will have 3 different quarterbacks play in the first half.

The guy he names the starter will not take the first snap at QB.

The backlash he got from that idiotic game plan should've taught him a lesson to never pull that again, especially with his rear-end on the line this season.  

7 minutes ago, keesler said:

The backlash he got from that idiotic game plan should've taught him a lesson to never pull that again, especially with his rear-end on the line this season.  

The lesson he took from it? Even when Sean White is clearly injured in the DSOR and unable to throw a ball 15 yards past the LOS, much less complete any passes, leave him on the field and leave JFIII- a quarterback lacking in skill but who is practically the human embodiment of a spark- on the bench. Whoops. 

I would like to see the best QB start the season. Having said that I think the QB 's should be live this spring and see what they can really do under pressure. We have enough depth now so that the fear of injury should not keep them from being live. We don't need a good practice QB we need a QB that can deliver we then game is on the line. Throw them if the fire and let the best man win.

This is simple and you heard it here first:

Oregon will be Joey - the coaches don't trust Malik to pass or make the right read.   At least Joey can take a hit and can't be worse.   This does TWO THINGS: buys time for Bo and gives us a chance to see what Joey can do against a top flight D.    Maybe we get lucky and Joey surprises his critics.  If so, Auburn is a winner.   it would be stupid to toss Bo out vs Oregon.   We don't have to win the Oregon game to win or compete in the West.  

Tulane and Kent St will be Bo.

Then the coaching staff can make an informed decision as to how this should develop before the TAMU game.   This makes the most sense.

"KISS"   Keep it simple, stupid.

2 minutes ago, Beaker said:

This is simple and you heard it here first:

Oregon will be Joey - the coaches don't trust Malik to pass or make the right read.   At least Joey can take a hit and can't be worse.   This does TWO THINGS: buys time for Bo and gives us a chance to see what Joey can do against a top flight D.    Maybe we get lucky and Joey surprises his critics.  If so, Auburn is a winner.   it would be stupid to toss Bo out vs Oregon.   We don't have to win the Oregon game to win or compete in the West.  

Tulane and Kent St will be Bo.

Then the coaching staff can make an informed decision as to how this should develop before the TAMU game.   This makes the most sense.

"KISS"   Keep it simple, stupid.

Honestly besides Joey being here for a year, he doesn’t have much of an upper hand on Bo. I think the spring is a ton of time to actually get a feel of this offense. The way I see it, if you start Bo, Cord or Joey, you are basically starting a freshman because none of these three have adequate game experience. So if Bo is the best one, he should start against Oregon.

Archived