Men vs. Texas A&M game thread

WarTiger

6 minutes ago, lost said:

So we are the only team that does not attack the rim.  Gotcha

Not the only one.... but as long as we are mostly firing up outside shots, there are not gong to be many calls  plus we are generally more aggressive on defense out front trying to get steals and manage to accumulate a fair amount of fouls there too. 

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, lost said:

I quoted you.  You said we have disparity IN EVERY GAME  so i quoted you.  And i asked a question that your smart tail couldn't answer decently

You have to be the most sensitive dude on here. What wasn't decent with the answer? Don't worry though somebody else will say it then you'll understand. But yeah our style of play leads to games where other teams has a bunch more free throws than us. We have quite a few where a team have in the 20's and we may have 7.....it's not a coincidence....or in your case conspiracy

I have not analyzed shot counts, butr I thought Au urn took it inside quite a lot against A&M. I'd like to see numbers.

Austin Wikey needs to ******* man up! He's got to be the softest big man in basketball and easily is the softest in our rotation. Sometimes, he just looks like a ***** when he can't get the ball through the hoop.

How many times is he going to blow a dunk by slamming the ball against the rim? Unfortunately, he hasn't shown why we should trust him inside in sec play yet.

I hope this all changes. Chuma was more assertive tonight which was refreshing.

Also  You need to tell Sonny Smith there is no conspiracy...    🙂 He's convinced.   just kidding about Sonny though he is convinced about the refs and Pearl

1 minute ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

Austin Wikey needs to ******* man up! He's got to be the softest big man in basketball and easily is the softest in our rotation. Sometimes, he just looks like a ***** when he can't get the ball through the hoop.

How many times is he going to blow a dunk by slamming the ball against the rim? Unfortunately, he hasn't shown why we should trust him inside in sec play yet.

I hope this all changes. Chuma was more assertive tonight which was refreshing.

I thought Wiley played well tonight. He played physical as well. Especially the way he gets position and doesn't get the ball

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

I thought Wiley played well tonight. He played physical as well. Especially the way he gets position and doesn't get the ball

Yeah, he best contributes off the ball.

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

I think his primary job is play defense and get the rebounds.....we have plenty of scorers and maybe he needs to accept that role and do it well....just a thought?   

Just now, chimes said:

Late practice tonight so didn’t get to follow game at all... how’d we do?

I thought we played well for a road game. It felt better than games of late but aTm is not good at all. AU had some typical overpersuit plays leaving themselves open to ball rotation and wide open shots, but aTm didn’t knock enough down to get into it. 

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I think his primary job is play defense and get the rebounds.....we have plenty of scorers and maybe he needs to accept that role and do it well....just a thought?   

It seems everyone judges him on nothing but shifting scoring, and if he has position right up under the goal he should get it. And he seems to accept his role, Teams actually shoot better working inside to out though. And everybody just knows when your big man works hard you give him the ball on offense as well

3 minutes ago, jared52 said:

I thought we played well for a road game. It felt better than games of late but aTm is not good at all. AU had some typical overpersuit plays leaving themselves open to ball rotation and wide open shots, but aTm didn’t knock enough down to get into it. 

It seems like when we start good it's ok but if we start bad the game is already over...we need to get stronger about that

24 minutes ago, cole256 said:

It seems everyone judges him on nothing but shifting scoring, and if he has position right up under the goal he should get it. And he seems to accept his role, Teams actually shoot better working inside to out though. And everybody just knows when your big man works hard you give him the ball on offense as well

I hear you....guess I'm from the old days when guys like Russell and Unseld owned the middle on defense and never worried about scoring and team would break from their rebounds.  Different era but still don't think shooting is necessarily the job of everyone. 

But inside out as you note seems to work for us.  Also the big guy inside for the aggies was leaning all over Wiley who could not fight his way to the basket through him.   JMO but AW  did the right thing....got a dozen rebounds, blocked a couple shots and mostly kept the middle closed up on defense. JMO but tonight, points from him were a bonus.  

Is it my imagination but Wiley can elevate on the D end (goal tend tonight was upper half of backboard) but not when he goes up with the ball point blank range on the O end.  When he is 4-5 feet from the basket he can get his shot over defenders but not right at the rim???  Anyone else see it that way?

OK!!!! 1 streak down and 2 more to go. We had not won at TAMU for basketball EVER!!!!!! We have to play at Vandy and Kentucky this season. We have not won at that God forsaken weird ass gym that vandy has since 2000. We have not won at Kentucky since 88 when we beat them and they were ranked number 1 in the whole country. Lets get it done boys!!! STREAK BUSTERS!!! WOOOO!!! LETS GOOO!!! WAR DAMN BRUCE PEARL!!!!

8 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Damn shame the one game I absolutely couldnt watch contained Bryce's most worthwhile performance

5 straight 3s for someone of his consistency is marvelous 

If he has rediscovered his stroke, we are in really good shape going forward. 

12 hours ago, cole256 said:

It seems like when we start good it's ok but if we start bad the game is already over...we need to get stronger about that

Yup. Last season we always started off really slow it seemed then came back to win games. But this year we also aren't as consistent on the glass or with the intensity on D as last season.

One thing is for sure though. When Mac and Bryce are on from outside then we are tough to stop. I liked that Bryce didn't force many shots in the 2nd half. Last couple games we seem to be setting each other up a little better.

15 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

Is it my imagination but Wiley can elevate on the D end (goal tend tonight was upper half of backboard) but not when he goes up with the ball point blank range on the O end.  When he is 4-5 feet from the basket he can get his shot over defenders but not right at the rim???  Anyone else see it that way?

When you are trying to elevate with the ball, contact really impedes lift. When you are on defense you are usually have more freedom of movement and you have your hands/arms to keep spacing and have room to elevate. Wiley is a bit slow to make an offensive move at times which allows more contact than quicker players. One of the reasons McLemore is so effective, on both ends really, is how quickly he is able to set himself and elevate. 

Just think about trying to jump with someone's arm on your hip or shoulder weighing you down, vs have an unimpeded two step buildup to a jump. 

Archived