Playing Akron in 2021

aujeff11

AKRON, Ohio— The University of Akron and Auburn University football teams will play a game in 2021, both schools announced on Thursday.

The Zips and the Tigers will meet on Sept. 4, 2021, at Jordan-Hare Stadium in the season opener.

"We are very excited to take on one of the iconic football programs in college athletics," said Akron Director of Athletics Larry Williams

"What a great opportunity for our young men to travel to Auburn," said first-year head coach Tom Arth. "Auburn is one of the premiere teams in the SEC. We look forward to the challenge."

Akron and Auburn have met once.  In just their second year of Division I-A (FBS) play, the Zips fell to the No. 12 Tigers, 42-0, in Auburn, Ala., on October 15, 1988. 

Akron, which returns 51 letterwinners, opens the 2019 season at Illinois on August 31.  The home opener is slated for Sept. 7 against UAB.

Season ticket plans—which include a ticket to all six home games as well as a parking pass—can be purchased now to lock in the 2018 pricing for the 2019 season, starting at only $60 each. Renewals (for current season ticket holders) and new seats are now available for purchase by calling or texting 888-99-AKRON (25766) or visiting The C.P. and Cornelia S. Chima Athletics Ticket Office at InfoCision Stadium-Summa Field (located at 375 E. Exchange Street, near Gate 1 at the southwest corner of the venue, at the corner of E. Exchange and S. Union streets) during business hours (Monday through Friday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.).

Future Akron Football non-conference schedules:

Sept. 19              at Clemson 

Oct. 17               UMASS

Sept. 4                at Auburn 

Sept. 11             TEMPLE
Sept. 25              at Ohio State

Sept. 2                at Temple  

Sept. 6                Nebraska 

Sept. 13              at UAB

Home games in CAPS

https://gozips.com/news/2019/1/17/akron-auburn-to-play-football-game-in-2021.aspx

• WarTiger changed the title to Playing Akron in 2021

Even if Buster Brown was still their head coach, he might call their AD and tell him that he's sick won't be able to make to trip to Auburn. I doubt Terry won't to face the Auburn family ever again.

For those who hate the non P5 opponents this adds zip to the schedule.  :-\

4 minutes ago, gr82be said:

For those who hate the non P5 opponents this adds zip to the schedule.  :-\

Every season doesn’t have to be murderers row. Zip it.

41 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Every season doesn’t have to be murderers row. Zip it.

ConcreteRealGerenuk-max-1mb.gif

I’m okay with this.  3 of every 5 opener games we play against top 10 teams.  We can have a break there every once in a while

I wish AU would quit opening with P5 top tier programs.  I'd prefer they open with an Akron or Kent St each year.  But I would prefer 2 top tier P5 programs early in the season instead of just 1 and the rest cupcakes.  I know some would rather have all cupcakes since Auburn plays in the mighty SEC but I'd rather be entertained and with a good Coaching staff it's another extra week for Auburn to be on a top stage.

2 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I wish AU would quit opening with P5 top tier programs.  I'd prefer they open with an Akron or Kent St each year.  But I would prefer 2 top tier P5 programs early in the season instead of just 1 and the rest cupcakes.  I know some would rather have all cupcakes since Auburn plays in the mighty SEC but I'd rather be entertained and with a good Coaching staff it's another extra week for Auburn to be on a top stage.

I LOVE the Cal matchup. Well, except the fact that they're going to find a coach and QB and be a juggernaut by the time we play them. But right now, I LOVE that matchup on paper. Those are the games we need to play IMO. Give me one of those, a G5 game and an Alabama State every year. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

I LOVE the Cal matchup. Well, except the fact that they're going to find a coach and QB and be a juggernaut by the time we play them. But right now, I LOVE that matchup on paper. Those are the games we need to play IMO. Give me one of those, a G5 game and an Alabama State every year. 

Yes, Cal will be early 2000's USCw quality by then.

When I say P5 "top tier" let me rephrase a bit.  I don't mean AU has to schedule tOSU & Oklahoma every year.  But maybe Oklahoma & Northwestern or Utah.  Just one of those instead of San Jose State, etc.

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

Yes, Cal will be early 2000's USCw quality by then.

When I say P5 "top tier" let me rephrase a bit.  I don't mean AU has to schedule tOSU & Oklahoma every year.  But maybe Oklahoma & Northwestern or Utah.  Just one of those instead of San Jose State, etc.

I hear ya. I just personally don't want any OUs or any more Clemsons as long as we have 2 top 5 teams on our conference schedule every year. 

Let's compromise and say Notre Dame twice??

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Let's compromise and say Notre Dame twice??

A home & home EACH year!  That would be interesting 😁

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

What leads you to believe that? Not arguing, just curious why you think that since their history says otherwise, and Wilcox isn’t exactly tearing it up. 

7 minutes ago, rophle said:

What leads you to believe that? Not arguing, just curious why you think that since their history says otherwise, and Wilcox isn’t exactly tearing it up. 

sarcasm.gif

55 minutes ago, rophle said:

Man, I’m usually really good at sensing sarcasm, I just totally missed that one. 

Clemson, Washington and Oregon all jumped up the rankings after we scheduled them, I believe.

On 1/17/2019 at 1:54 PM, aujeff11 said:

Am I reading that correctly:   Akron is HOSTING Nebraska in 2025?!  Wow.  I knew the Huskers have been down for some time now but this is pretty low for them. 

17 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I see what you did there.

Yes but he completely missed what I did. 

Archived