What became of Sean White?

DivisionN

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From some random message board:

"I have a friend that is friendly with his family and lives near them. I asked him yesterday what he was doing. He said he was working towards his degree and hasn't signed to play football anywhere yet."

I don't think he lost his fundamentals, unless we're talking about his fundamental concepts of responsibility and priorities away from the game. Or his fundamental bone and joint integrity. Dude just got hurt a lot and partied a lot. Who knows, maybe he enjoyed his pain scrips too much.

Put him behind a bama OL and assign him a handler and he probably signs somewhere as a UFA. 

Some will be upset by this but he’s the reason Gus Malzahn is still Auburn’s coach.  Without Sean 2015&2016 would have been back to back losing seasons and Gus is probably shown the door.  Auburn beats UGA both years and May have beaten Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl is he stays healthy.  That game was pretty even till he broke his arm.  Dude had guts.

16 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

and May have beaten Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl is he stays healthy.  That game was pretty even till he broke his arm.  

We would have needed Joe Montana and Jerry Rice...OU’s offense was about as good as gets that night. I sat in the Superdome wondering how we were even in the Sugar Bowl. IIRC White got hurt early in the first quarter.  What he lacked in self control he absolutely did offset with grit and moxie. Until he couldn’t....

7 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

We would have needed Joe Montana and Jerry Rice...OU’s offense was about as good as gets that night. I sat in the Superdome wondering how we were even in the Sugar Bowl. IIRC White got hurt early in the first quarter.  What he lacked in self control he absolutely did offset with grit and moxie. Until he couldn’t....

We would have stayed in the game. We just couldn’t get that damn qb under control and Sean probably won’t equal that production. But what amazed me is how he took that hit, jumped up like nothing was wrong, never favored the arm or showed signs of pain then just simply couldn’t throw the ball because his arm was broke. 

I wouldnt say awesome, but he was a steady hand and played with more heart (Im one of the last people who cares to reference this quality, unless you just dont have any of it) than damn near anyone in the nation. I think Auburn couldve legit made the playoffs if he couldve stayed healthy and both KP and KJ were healthy (and Gus used both, together). The defense in 2016 was comparable to Alabama's and the offensive line was pretty solid. Sean actually engaged with the receivers; KD got used, NCM saw a few looks, RBs got some touches in the flat, etc. Sean just also didnt have enough arm strength to complete some of the things he was seeing too. 

I think his vision/trust in what he was seeing was years ahead of Stidham's 

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

A thread I'd like to see would be what did we do to deserve losing out on KD, Myron Burton and NCM all in 3 years 

2/3 were my man crushes. It’s my fault. 

KD partied too much and couldn’t stay out of trouble from what I recall. 

7 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

A thread I'd like to see would be what did we do to deserve losing out on KD, Myron Burton and NCM all in 3 years 

KD was his own enemy. Burton, kind of a mystery why he left but where is he playing today? Is he all ACC and I've missed it? NCM wasn't the same since his injury at the end of high school. He wanted the ball more than he got open to get it. Lets see where these guys are two years from now. While I wish them well, I don't expect to see many headlines.

e.gif

15 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Some will be upset by this but he’s the reason Gus Malzahn is still Auburn’s coach.  Without Sean 2015&2016 would have been back to back losing seasons and Gus is probably shown the door.  Auburn beats UGA both years and May have beaten Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl is he stays healthy.  That game was pretty even till he broke his arm.  Dude had guts.

Him and Pettway both carried the team in 2016. Pettway in 2016 before he hurt his hamstring in the Vandy game was every bit as good as Kerryon was in 2017. Speaking of the Vandy game in 2016, JF3 wasn't doing much and Gus played (an injured)White in the 2nd half and we came back and won. There's no doubt that had JF3 played the whole game that we would have probably lost to Vandy and we wouldn't have went to the Sugar Bowl.

7 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Him and Pettway both carried the team in 2016. Pettway in 2016 before he hurt his hamstring in the Vandy game was every bit as good as Kerryon was in 2017. Speaking of the Vandy game in 2016, JF3 wasn't doing much and Gus played (an injured)White in the 2nd half and we came back and won. There's no doubt that had JF3 played the whole game that we would have probably lost to Vandy and we wouldn't have went to the Sugar Bowl.

I am so glad you brought up jf3. For all the people who want a "dual threat" Qb let this be a lesson. Not every qb who can run some and is fast is a dual threat qb. He was super fast in a straight line but was terribly inaccurate throwing the football. I see Malik Willis being a lot less fast than JF3 and only a marginal more accurate passer from what we have seen so far. People see Cam and Nick light up the scoreboard for AU for 3 seasons and want that every season. Problem is the true ELITE DT Qbs like Cam, Nick, Lamar Jackson and Kyler Murray are hard to find. They are rare. Most of the time the "Dual Threat" Qbs end up working out like JF3 and Malik and become extremely easy to defend which is what we were in the first half with jf3 at qb. They are running Qbs not Dual Threats. Be careful what you wish for.

15 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

what did we do to deserve losing out on

KD

Nothing. He had personal issues during his time at AU he needed to deal with.

Myron Burton

Wanted to be a model so he left.

NCM

Felt he wasn't being used enough as a WR so he left.

12 hours ago, AidiAU said:

KD partied too much and couldn’t stay out of trouble from what I recall. 

That was Sean. KD had different personal demons. People can complain if they want but I don't think it's fair to the kid to shed light on those demons on a public board. I just hope he's gotten over them fully.

6 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I am so glad you brought up jf3. For all the people who want a "dual threat" Qb let this be a lesson. Not every qb who can run some and is fast is a dual threat qb. He was super fast in a straight line but was terribly inaccurate throwing the football. I see Malik Willis being a lot less fast than JF3 and only a marginal more accurate passer from what we have seen so far. People see Cam and Nick light up the scoreboard for AU for 3 seasons and want that every season. Problem is the true ELITE DT Qbs like Cam, Nick, Lamar Jackson and Kyler Murray are hard to find. They are rare. Most of the time the "Dual Threat" Qbs end up working out like JF3 and Malik and become extremely easy to defend which is what we were in the first half with jf3 at qb. They are running Qbs not Dual Threats. Be careful what you wish for.

giphy.gif

Let me say this first: in adult life, I NEVER have a "favorite player".  I'm 56 years old, and I've finally grown up (except in the case of Larry Bird, the true GOAT of the NBA...but I digress).

However, if I were to ever have had a fave player, before knowing their true character, it would have been Sean White.  Unfortunately, his character as a man didn't hold a candle to his on-field heart.  Apparently, he never had near as much heart off the field as he had on the field.  And that's always a huge problem.

He earned and was given a chance at a D1 school.  He crapped on that chance several times by breaking the same team rules over and over.  He mistakenly thought being a QB would somehow mitigate the severity of his transgressions.  Thankfully for both him and AU, Gus finally did what had to be done and booted his ungrateful, rebellious ass.

But I still remember how tough he was on the field, and I respect that.  Too bad he didn't earn OVERALL respect, by being a true leader and LEADING.

In the end, he was a LOSER.  And as much as it hurts me to say that, it's true.  He was a loser.

6 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Notwithstanding our differences, this is all correct. Do we want white Nick Marshall in Rhys whatever?? Yes, we do. 

3 hours ago, KolchakAU85 said:

In the end, he was a LOSER.  And as much as it hurts me to say that, it's true.  He was a loser

I wasn’t on the SW bandwagon but this is a little harsh. Otherwise good post. He may have burnt out on the football grind. Maybe he just wanted to experience being a kid and do a little partying. Can’t say that was smart, but I’m not walking in his shoes,and I don't have to live with the consequences of his decisions. I know I said it before but being a college athlete isn’t the perceived cakewalk that consists of practices, games, and attending classes in sweat pants. My brother went on recruiting trips to Troy and other baseball programs in tbe SE and at Troy he was told he wouldn’t even be allowed to drink cokes. Takes a lot of sacrifice to be an athlete and to some it may not be worth it.

9 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I wasn’t on the SW bandwagon but this is a little harsh. Otherwise good post. He may have burnt out on the football grind. Maybe he just wanted to experience being a kid and do a little partying. Can’t say that was smart, but I’m not walking in his shoes,and I don't have to live with the consequences of his decisions. I know I said it before but being a college athlete isn’t the perceived cakewalk that consists of practices, games, and attending classes in sweat pants. My brother went on recruiting trips to Troy and other baseball programs in tbe SE and at Troy he was told he wouldn’t even be allowed to drink a coke. Takes a lot of sacrifice to be an athlete and to some it may not be worth it.

Yeah, maybe I was a little harsh.  Been up all night at work and can't get to sleep...

But I was really in his corner for most of his time at AU.  His fight and confidence were refreshing.  But it takes equal off-field prowess to be as good as I thought he was.

1 hour ago, KolchakAU85 said:

Let me say this first: in adult life, I NEVER have a "favorite player".  I'm 56 years old, and I've finally grown up (except in the case of Larry Bird, the true GOAT of the NBA...but I digress).

However, if I were to ever have had a fave player, before knowing their true character, it would have been Sean White.  Unfortunately, his character as a man didn't hold a candle to his on-field heart.  Apparently, he never had near as much heart off the field as he had on the field.  And that's always a huge problem.

He earned and was given a chance at a D1 school.  He crapped on that chance several times by breaking the same team rules over and over.  He mistakenly thought being a QB would somehow mitigate the severity of his transgressions.  Thankfully for both him and AU, Gus finally did what had to be done and booted his ungrateful, rebellious ass.

But I still remember how tough he was on the field, and I respect that.  Too bad he didn't earn OVERALL respect, by being a true leader and LEADING.

In the end, he was a LOSER.  And as much as it hurts me to say that, it's true.  He was a loser.

If you don't know Sean white personally then you can't call that man a loser.

8 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

They won't listen.

They never listen.

2 hours ago, KolchakAU85 said:

My son was a freshman at Auburn the same year...was there on a Presidential scholarship and hit the news that spring in a very ugly way.  He was suspended from AU for four years and is dealing with the fall out of some incredibly bad choices.  There were days during that time that I seriously wanted to die.  I don't make excuses for what he did, but he is young and incredibly immature and incapable of seeing the big picture.  You would certainly classify him in the same "L" category, but I'll tell you his story isn't completely written.  Through that experience I've learned to give young people who make stupid choices a lot more grace.  I'd recommend you do the same.

1 hour ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

My son was a freshman at Auburn the same year...was there on a Presidential scholarship

1 hour ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

He was suspended from AU for four years 

7lZwLKc.jpg

JK. I’m rooting for your son to get out of the hole he put himself into. I have a cousin that was in the top 3 in his class at Florence. He went from quiet HS kid to a partying frat boy that got suspended and lost his full ride to UAB. He turned his life back around though.

Archived