What became of Sean White?

DivisionN

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, ellitor said:

Nothing. He had personal issues during his time at AU he needed to deal with.

Wanted to be a model so he left.

Felt he wasn't being used enough as a WR so he left.

That was Sean. KD had different personal demons. People can complain if they want but I don't think it's fair to the kid to shed light on those demons on a public board. I just hope he's gotten over them fully.

My point was, it's extremely unlucky to lose out on those guys. I explain my train of thought when conversing with fans of other fanbases that get stud WR recruits we missed out on (Ahmon, Justyn), I want as many receivers as possible...I feel on principle, thats a position where you can feed many mouths 

16 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I am so glad you brought up jf3. For all the people who want a "dual threat" Qb let this be a lesson. Not every qb who can run some and is fast is a dual threat qb. He was super fast in a straight line but was terribly inaccurate throwing the football. I see Malik Willis being a lot less fast than JF3 and only a marginal more accurate passer from what we have seen so far. People see Cam and Nick light up the scoreboard for AU for 3 seasons and want that every season. Problem is the true ELITE DT Qbs like Cam, Nick, Lamar Jackson and Kyler Murray are hard to find. They are rare. Most of the time the "Dual Threat" Qbs end up working out like JF3 and Malik and become extremely easy to defend which is what we were in the first half with jf3 at qb. They are running Qbs not Dual Threats. Be careful what you wish for.

Everything you're saying is correct, but we have literally no idea what Malik can do lol, he's literally never played a minute of real competition 

16 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Him and Pettway both carried the team in 2016. Pettway in 2016 before he hurt his hamstring in the Vandy game was every bit as good as Kerryon was in 2017. Speaking of the Vandy game in 2016, JF3 wasn't doing much and Gus played (an injured)White in the 2nd half and we came back and won. There's no doubt that had JF3 played the whole game that we would have probably lost to Vandy and we wouldn't have went to the Sugar Bowl.

Jeremy could've easily won that game too though, I cant absolve Gus of the stupidity of relying on a clearly injured Sean (even moreso injured in the UGA game, but I digress) going forward

• 6 months later...
27 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You guys really making it hard for Bo.....I thought Joey had it bad for being tall and African American that he was going to be cam......with Bo it's even worse...Aaron Rodgers, Baker Mayfield, and Trevor Lawrence......man

It’s what we do.   I can’t remember the last expectant QB we had that wasn’t dubbed the next greatest QB ever (compare to _____ HOFer)

Stidham, JJ, Marshall, Frazier, heck even 3* Sean White was a legend before he ever started a game. 

11 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

It’s what we do.   I can’t remember the last expectant QB we had that wasn’t dubbed the next greatest QB ever (compare to _____ HOFer)

Stidham, JJ, Marshall, Frazier, heck even 3* Sean White was a legend before he ever started a game. 

FWIW S. White was a highly touted 4 star top 150 recruit, and Elite 11 MVP.....had he been in a different system and not had a drinking problem sky was the limit for that kid. Trent Dilfer said he was one of the best to come through Elite 11 at the time

33 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I do think that Gus has made mistakes in the past publicly pumping up kids who never show it on the field. I think that matters. I think he invites noise in instead of tuning it out sometimes. 

This is a much bigger deal than anything fans come up with, IMO. JJ is obviously the most glaring example. He handled him wrong in so many ways.

2 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

This is a much bigger deal than anything fans come up with, IMO. JJ is obviously the most glaring example. He handled him wrong in so many ways.

I don't remember which year it was, but I remember right after signing day one year when he stood at a podium and broke down the class player by player. It seemed like literally every single kid was "the best in the country" or "the fastest in the country" or "makes the best ramen noodles in the country". I get it. I get why players love him. I get that he wants to sell the program. But I don't think that's the most effective way to go about it. Also, it devalues his words. 

20 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

But I don't think that's the most effective way to go about it.

How else is he supposed to pump his signing class at the presser?

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

How else is he supposed to pump his signing class at the presser?

But not saying that every single one of them is the best in the country? 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

But not saying that every single one of them is the best in the country? 

Seems to do something similar every year.

1 hour ago, Tigerpro2a said:

FWIW S. White was a highly touted 4 star top 150 recruit, and Elite 11 MVP.....had he been in a different system and not had a drinking problem sky was the limit for that kid. Trent Dilfer said he was one of the best to come through Elite 11 at the time

He can paint pictures with his balls.

2 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

This gets said every so often, but SW was not a highly recruited guy. He had offers, but no big time programs. We offered very after we lost out on D Watson and a kid that went to LSU. His offers were from Boston College, Cincy, Florida Int, Hawaii, Houston, Kent State, Miami OH, South Florida, Toledo, Syracuse, Wake Forest, West Virginia, Western KY, and Western MI. No other SEC schools offered him. While fine schools, if  you are competing against them for recruits you are not competing for championships.

8 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

This gets said every so often, but SW was not a highly recruited guy. He had offers, but no big time programs. We offered very after we lost out on D Watson and a kid that went to LSU. His offers were from Boston College, Cincy, Florida Int, Hawaii, Houston, Kent State, Miami OH, South Florida, Toledo, Syracuse, Wake Forest, West Virginia, Western KY, and Western MI. No other SEC schools offered him. While fine schools, if  you are competing against them for recruits you are not competing for championships.

You weren't talking to me, but I agreed with the other guy, so point conceded. 

I think the truth, as usual, lies somewhere in the middle with him. He often gets painted as a pitiful, slow, noodle-armed nobody. He also often gets painted as some kind of gunslinger. I was always very high on the guy but, as was suggested to me at the time, he's (pretty reachable) ceiling was probably Aaron Murray. Which would have been good enough. 

25 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That was strong right there. Ya Freak. 

This was me typing it:

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

I think the truth, as usual, lies somewhere in the middle with him. He often gets painted as a pitiful, slow, noodle-armed nobody. He also often gets painted as some kind of gunslinger. I was always very high on the guy but, as was suggested to me at the time, he's (pretty reachable) ceiling was probably Aaron Murray. Which would have been good enough. 

I think part of this is contrast in perception is what he wasn't. He wasn't JJ. So he wasn't wilting under pressure which was incredibly refreshing to see in real time after weeks of "WTF kind of QBing is this?". So it was a bit of a shot in the arm for the offense and the team when he would move around behind the LOS and extend plays and complete passes (that Kentucky game seemed like a breath of fresh air)

Others saw that, at the very least in that moment in time though, he wasn't ready to be a starting SEC QB due to arm strength and necessary speed/mobility needed to truly run the Gus O. His timeline to be a starter by his RS-Jr year and was thrust into the role as a RS-frosh. He just didn't have the arm strength to be the downfield threat Gus likes to utilize, but he possibly could've improved on that had the wheels not fallen off in his personal life in time.

5 minutes ago, Tiger said:

and was thrust into the role as a RS-frosh

People really don't talk about that enough. I've never seen a king prematurely coronated to the extent that JJ was- well, at least not since Kiehl Frazier, lol- and then suddenly Sean White is starting game 4? Yeah. I'm sure he was more than adequately prepared for that. By noted QB whisperer Gus Malzahn. Let's not forget that Duke Williams was busy breaking an OL's jaw, Jovon Robinson was being restrained on the sidelines from going after the head coach, Roc Thomas was in the tub googling lower division teams that needed a running back... rough season. 

9 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I wouldn't shut the door on the Stoops thing just yet. Let's see what we are looking like by Halloween. You may have made the long call

If that happens I’m jumping on a plane to Vegas and putting everything I have on red 14 on roulette. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

People really don't talk about that enough. I've never seen a king prematurely coronated to the extent that JJ was- well, at least not since Kiehl Frazier, lol- and then suddenly Sean White is starting game 4? Yeah. I'm sure he was more than adequately prepared for that. By noted QB whisperer Gus Malzahn. Let's not forget that Duke Williams was busy breaking an OL's jaw, Jovon Robinson was being restrained on the sidelines from going after the head coach, Roc Thomas was in the tub googling lower division teams that needed a running back... rough season. 

Incredible how messy things got for our program between mid-2014 and Stidham's arrival. Jermaine Whitehead's suspension and handling of the suspension through Sean White's injury and Gus' handling of injury in 2016 was a verrrry shaky time. I hope keeping Gus through all of his growing pains end up being worth it

2 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

SW was not a highly recruited guy. He had offers, but no big time programs.

He was his SR year. He just didn't publicize any offers after AU.

27 minutes ago, ellitor said:

He was his SR year. He just didn't publicize any offers after AU.

I just listed the schools that showed offers to him. This was from the ESPN recruiting website and was after he committed to AU. According to ESPN, those were the offers he had. None from schools I would consider big time consistent winners. I just don't consider the other schools as "big time" competition.

15 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

I just listed the schools that showed offers to him. This was from the ESPN recruiting website and was after he committed to AU. According to ESPN, those were the offers he had. None from schools I would consider big time consistent winners. I just don't consider the other schools as "big time" competition.

I know & what I am saying is unless he is lying he got other big offers after AU & just didn't publicize them. Also ESPN is the last place someone should look at for offer lists.

9 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I know & what I am saying is unless he is lying he got other big offers after AU & just didn't publicize them. Also ESPN is the last place someone should look at for offer lists.

Would a player have to disclose who he has received offers from, or could a recruiting site obtain that information from the schools themselves?

32 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I have seen it on the other sites also. Not a single site shows any substantial programs, and him not saying he had other offers but did not report does not make much sense to me. Anyway, no big deal. I am of the opinion is that he was not a "big time" get. But that is only my opinion.

Archived