New RB Coach wants and news

auburnphan

Thought we could use a thread to discuss this opening.   I am surprised that an addition wasn't made already.  If the plan was to move Horton to off field coach, why announce it if now if a replacement was not already decided?  My only rational for that would be to give Horton an opportunity to publicly have his name out there, but not sure how a demotion would help that.  I guess there is the possibility that they have a coach lined up and are waiting until after signing day, but that does not seem to be the case according to folks on here.  Personally, I do not think it matters who he hires.   Offensive coaches seem to teach more for a system than a focus on individual improvements.   

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Common joke I've heard among coaches: "You can find a RB coach in any bar you walk into, but a decent O-Line coach is hard to find."

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

Personally, I do not think it matters who he hires.

I'd agree with this, except that he needs to be a good recruiter.

3 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Common joke I've heard among coaches: "You can find a RB coach in any bar you walk into, but a decent O-Line coach is hard to find."

I'd agree with this, except that he needs to be a good recruiter.

I agree.

In addition to being the RB coach, Horton has also been the Recruiting Coordinator for a few seasons, and as I understand it he's also been pretty involved in the offensive game planning.  We don't yet know if he was demoted to an off-field role or promoted to de facto General Manager to replace Suddes.

His replacement could be Porter or Burns (CLP seems like an obvious fit), or we might hire somebody else.  Lots of moving parts I expect will settle in not long after NSD.

WDE!

No matters if it's Porter or Burns, Gus will have to hire someone to fill Porter or Burns coaching slot. So why not go out and hire a top RB coach who's a great recruiter. BTW,who's gonna coach special teams next year? it was pretty bad in 2018.

2 hours ago, MadtownTiger said:

In addition to being the RB coach, Horton has also been the Recruiting Coordinator for a few seasons, and as I understand it he's also been pretty involved in the offensive game planning.  We don't yet know if he was demoted to an off-field role or promoted to de facto General Manager to replace Suddes.

His replacement could be Porter or Burns (CLP seems like an obvious fit), or we might hire somebody else.  Lots of moving parts I expect will settle in not long after NSD.

WDE!

He was not our recruiting coordinator.  Was a few years ago...

I dont quite agree with it doesnt matter who the running back coach is.  Gus should determine what scheme he will run and pick a coach that has experience in that system.   Blitz pickup & safety valve plays are different depending on scheme.

1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

BTW,who's gonna coach special teams next year? it was pretty bad in 2018.

I know its you, so I will take your comment with a grain of salt, but our special teams were exceptional in 2018...especially blocking kicks. Now 2017... I would agree...2017 our special teams were anything but special. That changed in 2018 when CLP took it over from CTH. 

9 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

We need Wisconsin’s RB coach . They have had some of the best Rbs in recent years 

They also have a great o line play. That’s should be the primary focus. I don’t know if we need some rock star RB coach.

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I know its you, so I will take your comment with a grain of salt, but our special teams were exceptional in 2018...especially blocking kicks. Now 2017... I would agree...2017 our special teams were anything but special. That changed in 2018 when CLP took it over from CTH. 

MUHHHH BOY Larry Porter was our special teams coach in 2018. A great improvement from  2017 when Horton took it over and Gus took a vested interest in it.......

1 hour ago, DAG said:

They also have a great o line play. That’s should be the primary focus. I don’t know if we need some rock star RB coach.

We have a rock star RB coach on staff in Porter. But ya know Gus gonna Gus. It should not be this hard! lol

It's obvious that our next position coach (whether that's at at RB or another after some shuffling) is preoccupied with prepping for the NFC or AFC championship game 😏

15 minutes ago, tigerchris said:

Why not Ronnie brown?

Or Cadillac since he actually has coaching experience and is doing this new pro football league that might not be the most exciting gig in the world?

16 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

No matters if it's Porter or Burns, Gus will have to hire someone to fill Porter or Burns coaching slot. So why not go out and hire a top RB coach who's a great recruiter. BTW,who's gonna coach special teams next year? it was pretty bad in 2018.

Still not actually watching any games.  :lol:   some things just never change.

With signing day just 17 days away, I would have thought Gus name a new RB coach by this time. Is Gus gonna be head, OC and RB coach all in one.

If we truly want top RB's then what Horton has been signing, then Gus should hire Dell McGee or Eddie Gran. Look at all good RB's Dell has signed at Georgia. Also, go back and look at all the great RB's Eddie signed while on Auburn's staff. Curtis Luper would be an awesome RB coach to have on our staff again.

14 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

We have a rock star RB coach on staff in Porter. But ya know Gus gonna Gus. It should not be this hard! lol

Which RB's have Porter coached up?

3 hours ago, Sizzle said:

Which RB's have Porter coached up?

Tatum Bell, Vernand Morency,  Joseph Addai, Jacob Hester, Charles Scott, Keiland Williams, Malcolm Brown and Elijah Hood. All at least got 900 yards under him. Most got 1k. And all were drafted in to the NFL. Larry Porter has been a stud RB coach for well over a decade. In 2003 Bell went for over 1k and Morency had over 900 yards in the same season at Oklahoma State.

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

Tatum Bell, Vernand Morency,  Joseph Addai, Jacob Hester, Charles Scott, Keiland Williams, Malcolm Brown and Elijah Hood. All at least got 900 yards under him. Most got 1k. And all were drafted in to the NFL. Larry Porter has been a stud RB coach for well over a decade. In 2003 Bell went for over 1k and Morency had over 900 yards in the same season at Oklahoma State.

This board seems to think Horton isn't good but his list is just as good as Porters if not better so how do we know Porter would make big improvements?

5 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

This board seems to think Horton isn't good but his list is just as good as Porters if not better so how do we know Porter would make big improvements?

Crutin. The RB coach in a Malzahn offense just needs to be a stud recruiter. Horton has been terrible for the past few seasons in that department. That is why he was demoted off the field. I give Gus a lot of crap but HE is the reason the run game has been so good. Not Horton. 

Archived